4Likes

post #181 of 555 Old 05-26-2011, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Nice progress Update - looks good!

You are going to be Sooo Happy after the dust settles from the drywall finishing! Don't forget to "bag" or protect those cable connections for your PJ.

I am curious those sections where you have used the plywood or OSB: Is another layer of drywall going over those areas? If not; how will you finish or top coat those areas (speakers and PJ mounting areas)?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 555 Old 05-26-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Nice progress Update - looks good!

You are going to be Sooo Happy after the dust settles from the drywall finishing! Don't forget to "bag" or protect those cable connections for your PJ.

I am curious those sections where you have used the plywood or OSB: Is another layer of drywall going over those areas? If not; how will you finish or top coat those areas (speakers and PJ mounting areas)?

Yes, all the pictures where OSB was showing now have another layer of drywall over them. The whole theater room is double drywall with green glue, with the exception of the areas with OSB (which have the first layer being OSB, then green glue, then a finishing layer of 5/8" drywall.

I should have been more clear when posting the pictures, and mentioned that some of the pictures were with only the first layer completed.
post #183 of 555 Old 05-31-2011, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Didn't do much over the long weekend. Mainly waiting for the drywall guy to get going...he has put up cornerbead, but hasn't done anything else. Most of my weekend was spent in the garage making bag toss boards for a community function this summer. After I finished those up, I did some serious garage cleaning - threw a bunch of stuff away, organized and cleaned...looks much nicer - one more night and that should be sitting okay.

I did work on the basement last night for an hour or so...I wrapped all my cables in plastic or tape so the drywaller doesnt ruin them. I also worked on the tile shower. I mixed up a quick batch of thinset and went over all my cement board joints. I might have to go buy some tile in a couple days and get started on that soon.

The wife and I went looking at paint this weekend too....that is, simply put, overwhelming! I have NO IDEA what will look good. I am going to just let the wife pick out the colors for the basement and I plan on focusing on the theater room. We walked out with 15 gallons of primer and a bunch of paint cards.

For the theater I am thinking about a medium grey for the walls, and an almost black for the ceiling. For the columns/trim I was thinking of either matching the laminate in the open room of the basement (dark walnutish) or going with an ebony stain.
post #184 of 555 Old 05-31-2011, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brausch View Post

I am going to just let the wife pick out the colors for the basement and I plan on focusing on the theater room. We walked out with 15 gallons of primer and a bunch of paint cards.

For the theater I am thinking about a medium grey for the walls, and an almost black for the ceiling. For the columns/trim I was thinking of either matching the laminate in the open room of the basement (dark walnutish) or going with an ebony stain.

Let me know if you are successful in "just letting the wife pick out colors". At my house it doesn't work that way >> We have to take turns holding paint chips and standing back to visualize - then switch places, then repeat twice with different lighting. Mrs. Cuzed has made sure that it will always be a 2 person process

Going with a black (or near black) ceiling is one move you will never regret - go for it. And a dark walnut for the columns - very much worth seeing samples or examples

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #185 of 555 Old 06-03-2011, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I am glad I am not on a deadline because if I were, the drywall guy would not be my friend. He has been over and has completed some work, but he just hasn't been there working as much as I would have guessed.

Here are some updated pictures to keep people interested in my thread...

Here is the tile we have sitting in the garage

Here is the hallway looking in towards the open room

One view of the open room...

Another view of the open room....boy am I glad I did a good job putting down rosin paper!

And a view of the theater room!

Hopefully that holds you all over for a little while, as he said he wont be back until sunday (to wait for it to dry)...even though there are a few bottom seams that havent been hit yet, nor has he started anything upstairs. As you can maybe tell, I am not super impressed with this guy. The longer this takes, the pickier I am getting. I am paying good money to have this finished, I expect satisfactory results.

Maybe I shouldnt complain....I am not the one that has to do it. He has complimented me numerous times on the quality of the hanging job - made me feel good about myself
post #186 of 555 Old 06-03-2011, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I must say - it's really shaping up nice.
As for your drywaller - perhaps he his helping the farmers get crops in on the side...?
If so - you need to cut him some slack (or not)

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #187 of 555 Old 06-05-2011, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I must say - it's really shaping up nice.
As for your drywaller - perhaps he his helping the farmers get crops in on the side...?
If so - you need to cut him some slack (or not)

He is definitely not a farmer, but even if he was, the crops have been in for a few weeks now. No big deal though, as he has showed up and worked on the basement a decent amount the last few days.

Here are a couple photos, not much of a change and drywall pictures are kind of boring, but its progress!

Here is the upstairs laundry room that got a coat of mud today

Here is another snapshot of the upstairs laundry room

Other side of the laundry room wall

Downstairs hall looking into the open room...not sure what has two coats and what has one, but its starting to look good.

Here is the open room with a second coat

Another view

Theater room with second coat

Back wall of theater room

I didnt take a picture, but the bathroom got a good coat of mud. Wish that were done so I could be laying tile, but now it looks like that will have to wait. The next two weeks are going to be super busy at work, so the other things that will happen on the basement will be my wife priming (and maybe painting) some walls.

I am looking forward to being able to post some exciting pictures, these drywall pictures are pretty boring.
post #188 of 555 Old 06-05-2011, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Farmer or Not - great progress!!
Won't be long now...

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #189 of 555 Old 06-15-2011, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

10 days later...and I have come to the conclusion that I may be better off just doing things myself...or I need to do my due diligence in picking contractors. I thought I had done well, got 4 quotes, talked to a couple guys and I didnt even take the cheapest quote!

This drywall guy is a real piece of work. If I was smart I would have recognized that he was just bragging about his "skills" instead of reassuring me that it was going to look great when he was done. He does a mean knockdown texture on the ceilings, but thats the only thing he does right. Showing up and actually doing work is where he is lacking. I had a deal with the contractor saying that I pay $500 initially and the remainder when the project is complete to my satisfaction. The drywall guy got it 75% done and was leaving for a weekend and needed some money so they convinced me to give them some more money, with a chunk set aside for the finished job. A couple days ago he comes to me and says he is finished when there is obviously quite a bit of work to do yet. He tells me to prime the walls before I decide there is more work to do - meanwhile he asks for the remaining money because he says it is finished. I refused to pay until I am satisfied.

This all happened earlier this week and my wife has primed every single basement wall the past two nights after work (she has been up priming walls until midnight both nights). I had a couple big projects at work so I was unable to be down there to help - so big props to her for helping out. The main contractor stopped by to look at the walls over lunch today. We decided that I would stick blue painters tape to the walls wherever I found problems. Over lunch I put up tape and called the contractor to have him send over this drywall guy to finish up.

Phew! We are up to date now. Pardon my rant - I am just getting frustrated about this whole deal.

Here are some pictures for those of you who made it this far into the post! I wont bore you will all of them, but here are a couple interesting ones.

Stairwell going down...

Here is the worst wall in the bedroom

Here is a view of the hallway

Here is cabinet area in the open room

One view of the open room

Other view of the open room

Here is the theater room (I may have got lucky in here), he seemed to do a much better job here.

View of the back of the theater room

The one thing he did a good job with was his knockdown texture...I was super impressed.

It looks better than the knockdown in the rest of the house.

It has been three weeks since he accepted the job - I just want this to be finished. You dont see any pictures of the bathroom (or any tape in the bathroom) because it was so bad that I put one piece of tape in there with a note saying it needed another whole coat.

I should have taken some closeup pictures so show you all what I am dealing with here - I am not being picky and putting tape next to any stray piece of spackle...these are either dents in the wall, trowel marks, fiberglass tape showing or just plain crappy workmanship.

For someone who wanted to be paid in full, there was no way I was going to let that happen!

/end rant
post #190 of 555 Old 06-15-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Brian,
Damn - this is disappointing to know you have to deal with bozos like this.

My drywall crew did excellent work - but I gotta say; punctuality and scheduling was another story. I guess in someways they are all the same. Hopefully the shortcomings will be rectified fast and you can move on!!

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #191 of 555 Old 06-16-2011, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Well, i just paid the final bill for the drywall job. The finisher showed up this morning and hit a couple of the big spots that I marked. I told him to leave a bucket of mud and that it was good enough. I will finish all the small spots that he didnt fix.

He almost "mistakenly" took my mortar/mud mixer with him, but I politely asked him if he was sure it didnt grab mine. Hopefully everything else is accounted for. One kind of funny thing about this guy was that my wife had eaten one hershey's bar out of a 6 pack and when we got home the next day there were only 4 left...if thats all he made off with, I will call it a success. Just glad to have him out of my house.

I plan on finishing the drywall this weekend and maybe get started on the bathroom tile. My wife will probably continue priming the walls...maybe throw up a little paint if she has the time.

My wife also found a laminate floor she liked and lumber liquidators has it on sale for $2.29 down from 2.99. We will probably go order that tonight, unless someone has a better place to get their laminate from. This stuff has the attached padding and a 30 year warranty.
post #192 of 555 Old 06-16-2011, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quick update - I just ordered laminate flooring for everywhere except the theater (and bathroom). Wont be in for 2 weeks or so, so I have some time to get some painting done.

I assume I need to install any floor cabinets before installing the flooring but wanted to confirm. Anyone?
post #193 of 555 Old 06-23-2011, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I am getting tired of posting the same old pictures of drywall...not exciting, I know.

Since the last update, I have pulled up all the rosin paper, cleaned up the walls where the baseboard will go (the drywall guy left big globs of dried mud everywhere) and I have touched up most of the areas that the guy missed. It is starting to look good. I also swept up all the floors and used the shop vac to clean out the space between the drywall and the floor.

I wont bore you all with more pictures of the same olf junk...but I figured a picture or two would keep up some interest in my thread...

Here is a photo looking into the bathroom...

And here is a picture of the shower floor...

After I took the pictures I put up one of my starter boards for the walls, and I am toying with different wall layouts - hopefully I will make more progress on the bathroom soon, but my wifes family is coming to visit Friday thru Wednesday, so most likely there will be no progress for a little bit.

I also need to start studying for me PE soon, so I am going to have to throw this project into slow gear soon...maybe one more push to get the bathroom and laminate flooring down before I start - I figure I need a solid 3 months of studying to feel good about the test.
post #194 of 555 Old 06-30-2011, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Well, as expected, I did not get anything done on the theater over the weekend. I did get to finally work on the tile a little bit last night. I cut 45 deg angles on about 38 tiles for where the two walls meet, tonight I will cut a bunch in half and start putting them on the wall (hopefully). I actually dont have any plans this weekend, so I will probably make it a goal to get most of the tile laid in the bathroom....we'll see how that turns out.
post #195 of 555 Old 06-30-2011, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Made a little progress tonight. Not much to explain, one picture should be all that is necessary...

Bathroom shower wall...

I wanted to tile up to the shower valve so that I could let it dry overnight and then cut and dryfit the next couple of rows to get around the valve without taking too long when the thinset is sitting on the wall.

I will try to get the walls finished up this weekend....they seem to take a little longer than I expected. Seems to be turning out okay. The wife absolutely loves it so far - might have to keep that one in my back pocket when it comes time to buy equipment
post #196 of 555 Old 07-12-2011, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I caught my thread before it slipped back to page 5...barely.

Anyways, I haven't accomplished TOO much, but I did make some progress worthy of a post. Sorry about the pictures, they were from my iPhone.

Here is the bathroom floor...

And here is the bathroom wall...

I have the pieces for the top of the curb cut, I need to cut some sides before I finish up the curb. Then all that is left is to seal, grout and seal.

So far, so good, as this is my first bathroom tile job. The wife is happy, so I am happy. I would have got more accomplished, but had a buddy come into town for this wedding. He stayed at my place for a few days before the wedding, so instead of working on the basement we drank plenty of beer and played video games. I didnt screw up the best man speech though...so it was still a good weekend.
post #197 of 555 Old 08-29-2011, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Ouch! Old thread warning. What hurts even worse is that I have made about zero progress.

Last night I finally made it down there and did a little work. I had been dreading finishing the curb for the shower, but finally grew up and got it done. Now I need to seal the marble, then grout the seal everything one more time. Should be pretty easy as the hard part is past.

I am to the point now where I am using basement work as a reward (and break) for studying (which is why I finally got down there and did some work). Test is less than 2 months away - time to buckle down.

Hopefully I won't go this long between updates again. Will post pictures after everything is grouted and sealed.
post #198 of 555 Old 08-29-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by brausch View Post

Ouch! Old thread warning. What hurts even worse is that I have made about zero progress.

Last night I finally made it down there and did a little work. I had been dreading finishing the curb for the shower, but finally grew up and got it done. Now I need to seal the marble, then grout the seal everything one more time. Should be pretty easy as the hard part is past.

I am to the point now where I am using basement work as a reward (and break) for studying (which is why I finally got down there and did some work). Test is less than 2 months away - time to buckle down.

Hopefully I won't go this long between updates again. Will post pictures after everything is grouted and sealed.

Don't feel bad. It seems that with the exception of a few theater projects that have continued at a feverish pace, many in this forum have slowed or stalled for the summer (including my own ). Fortunately, mine hasn't hit the "old thread" status since I occasionally went in and provided a lame excuse for not working.
post #199 of 555 Old 09-08-2011, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

I finished grouting the bathroom last night. I still need to caulk the intersections, then I will give it a couple days to fully dry then seal it and I will be ready to install fixtures.

I am including this picture only as proof that I am about finished. Because the picture is terrible. I took it with my phone and everything looks kinda yellow. I promise it looks MUCH better in person. I am excited to be close to finished with this, as I am tired of tiling!

Wish the Cyclones luck this weekend...if they play anything like they did last weekend against UNI, its going to be a very long season
post #200 of 555 Old 09-09-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

camera phone / yellow?

Looks great! Sorry if you mentioned it before; Is that Marble for the floor and shower curb?

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #201 of 555 Old 09-09-2011, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

camera phone / yellow?

Looks great! Sorry if you mentioned it before; Is that Marble for the floor and shower curb?

Yes it is a marble floor and curb. Actually the walls and accent strip are marble too. Just different finishes.

The pictures just don't do the tile justice...it looks much nicer in person than in the photograph.

Thanks for following along!
post #202 of 555 Old 09-09-2011, 05:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Go Hawks!

If I had it to do all over again, I'd still hit that shot.
Ht Build

Poker table and bar
post #203 of 555 Old 09-09-2011, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffC View Post

Go Hawks!

Ouch.
post #204 of 555 Old 09-18-2011, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Well, between study sessions I have gotten a little work done downstairs.

Here is the shower with all seams caulked and the trim installed - all that is left is finding and installing a door. Caulk looks a little darker in the picture than it is in person.

You can see that there is also a toiled installed finally...

And here is the pedestal sink that I got installed. I am not a huge fan, as you can see the p-trap and supply lines. The wife picked it out, but if I were to choose I would have just installed a nice cabinet style...looks nice, just not the clean install I like to see. Maybe after the escutcheon plates are installed it might look better.

Nice to show a little progress every once in a while!
post #205 of 555 Old 09-19-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I wish I would have laid that rosin paper down before I mudded. Now I've got a day of scraping and mopping before I can lay down the subfloor. Would have saved me some time.
post #206 of 555 Old 09-19-2011, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

I wish I would have laid that rosin paper down before I mudded. Now I've got a day of scraping and mopping before I can lay down the subfloor. Would have saved me some time.

I hope you don't have too much of a problem getting your floor cleaned up. I am VERY glad we put that down. The guy we hired to finish the drywall was made quite a mess. Cleanup was a breeze - rolled everything up and used the shop vac for the edges and anything that fell between the cracks.

I also have read that quite a few people have trouble getting all the drywall dust cleaned up. By using the rosin paper, I swept the floor once after drywall was complete and it has been fine ever since. That doesn't help you, but maybe someone who hasn't started drywall will pick up on the tip.
post #207 of 555 Old 09-19-2011, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
What is your plan for the bottom left of your stairway? My stairwell is identical to yours right up to the area of cutaway as well as the door to the bottom right.

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #208 of 555 Old 09-19-2011, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post

What is your plan for the bottom left of your stairway? My stairwell is identical to yours right up to the area of cutaway as well as the door to the bottom right.

Well, I don't really have a "plan" it's more of an idea...

I don't know exactly which part you are wondering about, so I will try my best to explain everything and if you still have questions, holler.

First, my overall plan is to install the laminate flooring as stair tread and risers. I have a matching bullnose that will finish off the front edge for a nice look.

Before I install the laminate risers or treads, I will install a stringer along each side that has sheetrock meeting the treads. The trim in the rest of the house is painted white so I will do the same to match. Because the doorway is so close to the stairwell, I plan on installing the door, installing the trim around the door, then finally trimming the stringer so butt up against the door trim.

Although it will be a HUGE pain to cut a stringer to fit, that seems pretty straightforward. Where I was stumped was when the wall quit and the floor treads were open to the hallway. I pondered this and then realized that the same scenario happened in the upper level of my house. Here are a few pictures that show the general idea I plan to incorporate.

Here is the transition from wall to open steps.

Here is how that same white trim transitions around the corner and down to the floor.

If you can just imagine the carpet gone, replaced with laminate tread and risers with a bullnose edge - that is what I am envisioning.

I wanted to do white painted wood risers with a laminate tread and bullnose (to give the stairs a nice contrast) but my wife's vote counts for more than my vote in any basement area other than the theater (so far).

If you have any questions just let me know and I will try to do a better job explaining.

Also, if anyone else reading this has any tips/tricks/better ideas, feel free to let me know. I have never cut a stringer to match the existing stairs, so I am not looking forward to it....in the open area I will be attaching my board to the wall and using a router with a flush trim bit, but the rest of the stringers will not work that well...ideas welcome and encouraged
post #209 of 555 Old 09-20-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
thanks for the info, looking at your picture it is a little bit different than my stairs. Where yours open up right to air there at the bottom, I have an angled kneewall with drywall that covers up the edges of all the stairs right down to the floor. I think mine will be a little bit easier to finish than yours but yours will look sharper.

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #210 of 555 Old 09-20-2011, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

I was close to framing a short kneewall along the open side (mainly just to make it easier to attach the newel post and spindles). I ended up not doing a kneewall in order to keep my options open. At one point I was thinking about making a rounded bottom step like the picture below shows...

Now that I have abandoned the rounded step, the short kneewall that you have would probably make the spindle/newel post attachment easier.

Hindsight is 20/20...I will make it work.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction