need for supply/return with a mini-split system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-16-2010, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Would you need an air return supply on a room that you were planning to install a mini-split AC system in? Our home uses baseboard heating so we don't have central A/C or it associated ductwork. To cool our basement theater I'm planning on putting in a mini-split A/C unit. To minimize sound leakage and intrusion I'd like to avoid putting in air supply/return lines in the room. I figure I can just leave the door open when its not in use to get fresh air in the room. Should that be adequate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-16-2010, 11:31 AM

Liked: 11
A mini split is a ductless system...basically a really nice window unit minus the window....it does have a line set that will need access to the condensing unit and most folks put those outside...
post #3 of 14 Old 08-16-2010, 12:12 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 608
What do you get when take a well built air tight theater space, a mini-split and a half a dozen people?

Answer: dead people, there is no fresh air.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old 08-16-2010, 12:18 PM

Liked: 10
check out my build thread in my signature for how I tackled the problem of adding a return air fan to a room that had two supply vents and no return. For the most part I was able to add my return vent using sound isolation techniques. Good luck!

3FB's "Foreclosure" Theater:
post #5 of 14 Old 08-16-2010, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

What do you get when take a well built air tight theater space, a mini-split and a half a dozen people?

What he said^^^ you need to get fresh air in your room
post #6 of 14 Old 08-17-2010, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. Luckily I have easy access to adjoining rooms so adding a supply and a return shouldn't be too hard. I don't want to be in the headlines about the family that trapped in their own home theater like a bunch of coal miners. I just need to do it right so I don't negate all the effort of the double drywall, green glue, clips, etc. So for a 12x18x7.5 sized room do you think a reutn and a supply that were both 6" flexible insulated duct with a serpentine path would be enough?
post #7 of 14 Old 08-17-2010, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Talk about perfect timing. I just saw the thread on examples of dead vents. I thought I researched all aspects of my theater build but I guess I missed the dead vents topic. The amount of knowledge and info sharing here is just fantastic.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-17-2010, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docquest View Post

Thanks for the feedback. Luckily I have easy access to adjoining rooms so adding a supply and a return shouldn't be too hard. I don't want to be in the headlines about the family that trapped in their own home theater like a bunch of coal miners. I just need to do it right so I don't negate all the effort of the double drywall, green glue, clips, etc. So for a 12x18x7.5 sized room do you think a reutn and a supply that were both 6" flexible insulated duct with a serpentine path would be enough?

nope a 6" supply would need a 8" return air to remove same amount of air. I would start with 2 7" supplys and a 12" return air, and you may need more.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-17-2010, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok I was wrong you said you had no ac so you are just using the dead vents for fresh air so yes a 6" supply and a 6" return air will work
post #10 of 14 Old 01-19-2011, 05:09 PM

I just found this thread while searching for ideal minisplit systems to use for my theater. I've been working with the HVAC guy doing the rest of my house, and we concluded that a minisplit system would be the easiest way to cool the theater room while allowing heat to the rest of the house for our cool Michigan winters.

Unfortunately neither the builder or the HVAC guy have done theater rooms with the degree of sound isolation we have planned. Glad I found this thread, or I wouldn't have been around to tell you all how my theater turned out! I'm going to work with them on designing a dead vent system for the room.

On another note, after a long discussion, it looked like it was going to be a royal pain to take a zone off of the rest of the HVAC to adequately cool the room, so we're still going with a minisplit. Any brand recommendations for the quietest system? The best I found was a Sanyo that was at around 25-38 dB depending on fan speed.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-16-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I guess this answers the mini-split v.s. dead vent debate.

Dead Vent it is.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #12 of 14 Old 06-16-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'll be using a Ducted mini-split, so that I can also use it to bring in fresh air. It also gets the fan noise out of the room.

post #13 of 14 Old 06-16-2014, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I am planning a Mini-Split for the Heating/Cooling Needs, and am doing a separate dead vent type 'air supply' into the room for fresh air.

I didn't want to tap into my main system for sound concerns.

I am still figuring out the Air Return, I will use my current system, there are a few 90 degree bends before the main supply lines. I just now need to do research on 'how' to tap into a Return!

Kevin

Thanks!

Kevin

post #14 of 14 Old 06-16-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The air handler for the ducted mini-split is separate from your "main" system. You can run the supply and return from the duct mini-split air handler through dead vents to control sound. You can also pull in outside sir to the air handler for fresh air.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page