Forum Jump: 

Old 10-14-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeebrake View Post

I don't have much to add– I'm at the earliest stages of gathering inspiration for my own project... your build looks terrific, and I was drawn in by the nice renders, particularly since you are a CG artist...
I myself work in CG- more on the motion graphics side of things than VFX... and instead of an STi, my garage contains an Evo wink.gif
cheers
-j

Building the room up in 3D complete with lighting and materials was a big help and I recommend it if you have the skills.

A great example was deciding on sconces for the room. I found 5-6 different ones and then modeled them in 3D and rendered each out in the room to help me decide. I ended up choosing the cheapest ones from Home Depot because I thought they worked best in the room based on the renders I had for reference. Before I modeled each into the room, I was leaning towards ones that were much more expensive. Image below show a few I tested out.

Having the room in 3D also helped a great deal with color choices.

Nothing wrong with Evos...had a couple of eclipses prior to the STi.

Photobucket

My Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Must...finish...star...field....ceiling!!! Room has been up and running for a year now, so figure it's time to get on it.

Based on my room dimensions, I need 15 panels to cover the ceiling. Panel layout with stars below.

photo StarCeiling_Construct_01.jpg

I printed each panel out separately to use with a opaque projetor.

photo StarCeiling_Construct_02.jpg

After constructing panels using 3/8" masonite and furring strips, I set up the opaque projector in the garage and marked out star pattern layouts.

photo StarCeiling_Construct_03.jpg

All panels marked and holes drilled...ready for GOM fabric.

photo StarCeiling_Construct_04.jpg

My Build Thread
Old 05-09-2013, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

4 panels are now covered with black GOM. So many staples...what a pain in the ass. I also did the fiber optics on one panel to test before completing the rest. I was a little worried about the fiber optic cable spools I bought on Ebay...so much cheaper than the websites. Seems to work fine...sigh of relief.

photo StarCeiling_Construct_05.jpg

My Build Thread
Old 10-15-2013, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 75
how is this progressing? looks great so far. smile.gif

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee Media Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321 + ChromeCast
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL, FR), CS2 Series II (Center), Monitor40 Series II (RL, RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L,R) + Dual JL Audio 12" Subs + ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 5.2.2
Old 10-16-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

how is this progressing? looks great so far. smile.gif

Thanks! Finished up the ceiling about 2 months ago but haven't had time to update with the in-progress and finished photos. I also want to do a postmortem list of some things I should have done differently to make the fiber optic install go smoother. In addition, I installed panels for first reflection points and added wide and height channel speakers ...have to switch between them for now since my pre-amp only supports 7.1. Anyway, will try and get this thread updated soon.

My Build Thread
Old 04-17-2014, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalJackson View Post

Thanks! Finished up the ceiling about 2 months ago but haven't had time to update with the in-progress and finished photos. I also want to do a postmortem list of some things I should have done differently to make the fiber optic install go smoother. In addition, I installed panels for first reflection points and added wide and height channel speakers ...have to switch between them for now since my pre-amp only supports 7.1. Anyway, will try and get this thread updated soon.

Looking forward to the "lessons learned" as I'm about to start this, this weekend.

eek.gif

-Woo
Old 04-19-2014, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootanga View Post

Looking forward to the "lessons learned" as I'm about to start this, this weekend.

eek.gif

-Woo

Here's my quick short list of lessons learned -

1. I should have laid out all my masonite panels to make sure they fit together snug before installation. I had most of them cut at Home Depot, and while they were very close to square, I still ended up with some gaps between panels once I got them installed on ceiling. In a couple of spots gaps were 1/2". To fix this I found some black felt tape on Amazon normally used for DIY screen frames. I applied the tape on all the panel seams. While this looks good and fixes my gap problem, I would rather have had the panels fit snug and not use the tape.

2. Following Sandman theater build instructions, I used 3M adhesive spray to tack the GOM fabric to the panels and then stretched the fabric and secured with a ton of staples. If I had it to do over, not sure I would use the adhesive. I think the adhesive made it difficult to stretch the fabric tight. I used at least a 100 staples on each frame, so think that stretching tight with that many staples would work. After having the ceiling installed for a few months, I have noticed a couple of spots where the fabric is sagging a little due to the adhesive not tacking. It's easy enough to press on these sagging spots with my hands and get them to stick back but really think that if I would have been able to stretch the fabric tighter without the adhesive then would have worked better.

3. I used three different sizes of fiber optics to represent small, medium and large stars. Large stars use a 1.5 mm fiber optic strand which makes a bright star ...a little too bright compared to the small and medium stars. When looking straight up at the ceiling, these large stars are overly bright. I have all fiber optics feeding into two lighting units, but need to add a third unit and feed only large stars strands into it so that I can control large star brightness individually.

4. In addition to finish nails, I used Liquid nails to help secure panels to furring strips on ceiling. Some of the Liquid Nails ended up on the edges of the GOM frabric during installation. Don't try and clean it off while wet ...will clean off easily with Goof Off after it dries.

Anyway, there's my shortlist. I'll add to it if I think of more. I have a bunch of in-progress photos as well that I will try and get posted. Honestly, installing the fiber optic ceiling was not a fun part of the theater build. I think I've used the phrase "would not wish it on my worst enemy" to describe the process. However, room looks (and sounds) so much better now that it's done. Good luck!!

My Build Thread
Old 04-22-2014, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Couple of images showing room with completed star ceiling and LED lighting for speakers behind screen.

photo IMGP8185.jpg

photo IMGP8157-1.jpg

My Build Thread
Old 04-22-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Can you provide a link for the LEDs you used to light your speakers?
Old 04-22-2014, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Can you provide a link for the LEDs you used to light your speakers?

For lighting the speakers I'm using LED flexible light strips ...same type light strips I'm using for lighting riser steps. I have them mounted to thin wood strips that are installed vertically on either side of each speaker (2 per speaker). Using Cat5 cable to link all the strips together.

Here's a pic taken looking into gap between curved frame and false wall ...you can see the LED strips mounting to wood strips (LED facing toward speaker).

photo IMGP8195.jpg

LED strips viewed from front ...lower part has red lines drawn showing where wood strips are installed.

photo IMGP8200.jpg

My Build Thread