***Working Man's DIY Dedicated Home Theater*** - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #451 of 647 Old 01-03-2013, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey NicksHitachi, could you post a pic of the setup as it sits in use??.. I am having a hard time visualizing how that spring loaded plate works.. does the projector hang from it or sit on it??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 647 Old 01-03-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
love it.

-Greg
post #453 of 647 Old 01-03-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryht View Post

love it.

TY SIr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRwOOD73 View Post

Hey NicksHitachi, could you post a pic of the setup as it sits in use??.. I am having a hard time visualizing how that spring loaded plate works.. does the projector hang from it or sit on it??

It sits on it. Visualize the springs as feet. I added felt feet to them. I'll take some shots of it "in-use" tonight and report back!
post #454 of 647 Old 01-03-2013, 08:56 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

My first Global Cache unit off eBay was DOA so I arranged a replacement and a additional one for the living room.

I've prob got 40hrs on setting up interfaces now and "coding" feedbacks etc. I understand now why custom crestron or control4 setups are sooooo. $$ey'.....

The panels are looking good, brotha! I don't think I've ever said anything here on this Forum, but more than a couple of years ago I used to be AMX and Crestron certified and really enjoyed designing the systems and interfaces to meet (exceed) a client's custom control needs. So I remember the early days of developing custom GUIs and the complexity of tracking status state of equipment with Boolean variables, current sensing, signal sensing and other methods when bidirectional feedback was not available, let alone products with Metadata feedback. I used to curse every electronic component that only had toggle power codes vs. discrete on and off. Same goes for discrete selection of inputs on TVs, projectors, etc....that stuff used to drive me crazy!

Things have certainly come a long way since that time and it's really cool for people to finally recognize the value in all of this automation stuff. I recall having conversations with clients that were "on the fence" over a stupid $250 DTMF phone card for their automation system that would allow them to call their real home or vacation property to activate an "arrive" macro with just a couple touches of the phone buttons so the house would be at the proper temperature, the jacuzzi would turn on and get to temperature, lighting would come on, etc. Now people seem to wonder why they can't get live video streaming from their toaster and a text message when their toast is done....biggrin.gif

Anyhow, my point is that if you are open to suggestions I can give you a few pointers that will make your control GUI function a bit better. I am only hesitant to offer this advice because I don't want to squash your self-education "discovery" because if you are like me, you like to fall on your own sword many times during the learning process to truly understand what works and what doesn't when designing an interface.

I will give you a couple of tidbits, though:
  • Since you are going for a landscape approach, the natural inclination will be to hold the iPad with both hands. I would recommend you put the channel up / down buttons for one thumb to reach and volume up/down buttons for the other thumb to reach. This makes channel surfing and volume adjustments very easy. When Bluray is selected, the channel up/down buttons become track skip forward / reverse, fyi.
  • I totally realize this is a work in progress so this might already be corrected....the position of the volume controls and mute button should be consistent from page to page. Right now the mute button is moving around a bit. Same is true for lighting control.
  • I am not familiar with iRule, but hopefully there is an option for "drop down" menus. If so, I would make some icons across the top for lighting, sources, security (if you have IP streaming cameras or an integrated system such as GE Networx), surround mode, etc. So one quick press of the "lighting" button will drop down a menu to allow you to select a scene or arrow buttons for raise / lower. It's quick, easy and really frees up more space on your GUI for other stuff or larger buttons
  • For all shuttle control (i.e. play, pause, stop, scan forward / backward, record, etc.) I would get these buttons in a control circle (with play/pause in the middle) and dramatically enlarge the buttons to make your life easier. To free up some room on the DirecTV page I would consider adding a button that says "keypad" to pull up a pop-up menu of all the number keys. Between your favorites icons and the guide with page up / down there tends not to be a ton of demand for the keyed buttons to be available on the top page, but YMMV...

So if you want me to shut my yap, just say so...but if you would like a few more pointers after you have developed the GUIs a bit further, I am happy to help. If you want, you can PM me your e-mail address and I can even send you some professionally produced touch panel simulations that work in a normal browser window. It might be a good source of layout ideas when you see the professional solutions.

Theater is looking great...I'd love to hear it in person one day. Your post in my thread about your 21" IB sub has me a little more than hugely intrigued!!
post #455 of 647 Old 01-04-2013, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Wow, TMcG, good tips.
NicksHitachi likes this.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #456 of 647 Old 01-04-2013, 05:37 AM

Quote:

TY SIr!
It sits on it. Visualize the springs as feet. I added felt feet to them. I'll take some shots of it "in-use" tonight and report back!

Got it, thanks for the explanation..

post #457 of 647 Old 01-04-2013, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Double checked focus and lens shift last night. After 24Hrs to settle, the focus and lens shift are still dead on the money. I cranked it for a bass session just for good measure and we are successfully decoupled. Woot.

post #458 of 647 Old 01-04-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Quote:

My first Global Cache unit off eBay was DOA so I arranged a replacement and a additional one for the living room.

I've prob got 40hrs on setting up interfaces now and "coding" feedbacks etc. I understand now why custom crestron or control4 setups are sooooo. $$ey'.....

The panels are looking good, brotha! I don't think I've ever said anything here on this Forum, but more than a couple of years ago I used to be AMX and Crestron certified and really enjoyed designing the systems and interfaces to meet (exceed) a client's custom control needs. So I remember the early days of developing custom GUIs and the complexity of tracking status state of equipment with Boolean variables, current sensing, signal sensing and other methods when bidirectional feedback was not available, let alone products with Metadata feedback. I used to curse every electronic component that only had toggle power codes vs. discrete on and off. Same goes for discrete selection of inputs on TVs, projectors, etc....that stuff used to drive me crazy!

Things have certainly come a long way since that time and it's really cool for people to finally recognize the value in all of this automation stuff. I recall having conversations with clients that were "on the fence" over a stupid $250 DTMF phone card for their automation system that would allow them to call their real home or vacation property to activate an "arrive" macro with just a couple touches of the phone buttons so the house would be at the proper temperature, the jacuzzi would turn on and get to temperature, lighting would come on, etc. Now people seem to wonder why they can't get live video streaming from their toaster and a text message when their toast is done....biggrin.gif

Anyhow, my point is that if you are open to suggestions I can give you a few pointers that will make your control GUI function a bit better. I am only hesitant to offer this advice because I don't want to squash your self-education "discovery" because if you are like me, you like to fall on your own sword many times during the learning process to truly understand what works and what doesn't when designing an interface.

I will give you a couple of tidbits, though:
  • Since you are going for a landscape approach, the natural inclination will be to hold the iPad with both hands. I would recommend you put the channel up / down buttons for one thumb to reach and volume up/down buttons for the other thumb to reach. This makes channel surfing and volume adjustments very easy. When Bluray is selected, the channel up/down buttons become track skip forward / reverse, fyi.
  • I totally realize this is a work in progress so this might already be corrected....the position of the volume controls and mute button should be consistent from page to page. Right now the mute button is moving around a bit. Same is true for lighting control.
  • I am not familiar with iRule, but hopefully there is an option for "drop down" menus. If so, I would make some icons across the top for lighting, sources, security (if you have IP streaming cameras or an integrated system such as GE Networx), surround mode, etc. So one quick press of the "lighting" button will drop down a menu to allow you to select a scene or arrow buttons for raise / lower. It's quick, easy and really frees up more space on your GUI for other stuff or larger buttons
  • For all shuttle control (i.e. play, pause, stop, scan forward / backward, record, etc.) I would get these buttons in a control circle (with play/pause in the middle) and dramatically enlarge the buttons to make your life easier. To free up some room on the DirecTV page I would consider adding a button that says "keypad" to pull up a pop-up menu of all the number keys. Between your favorites icons and the guide with page up / down there tends not to be a ton of demand for the keyed buttons to be available on the top page, but YMMV...

So if you want me to shut my yap, just say so...but if you would like a few more pointers after you have developed the GUIs a bit further, I am happy to help. If you want, you can PM me your e-mail address and I can even send you some professionally produced touch panel simulations that work in a normal browser window. It might be a good source of layout ideas when you see the professional solutions.

Theater is looking great...I'd love to hear it in person one day. Your post in my thread about your 21" IB sub has me a little more than hugely intrigued!!

Thanks Man! Heck no keep it comin'

Thats a lot of Great Advice! I'll put it to good use. biggrin.gif One frustrating thing about setting up irule is the web interface. Its laggy and glitchy so tasks take a bit of time to do simple tasks.....

yeah the Mael is a beast, hard to fathom until you pickit up.... Took an extra set of hands to get it into wall. Youll have your hands full with those Fi IB18s too!eek.gif

Here for scale cool.gif
525x525px-LL-20fd6bf8_vbattach240129.jpeg

525x525px-LL-c9c36032_vbattach240130.jpeg
post #459 of 647 Old 01-04-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Nick,

Great info on the PJ "isolation table" smile.gif

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #460 of 647 Old 01-04-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:

What you have here is like a mini version of the Kinetics Noise Control Model ICW ceiling hangers used for extreme sound isolation, far better than normal whisper clips...but at a price, of course. This time around I am using their WAVE hanger. Significantly cheaper but seems to provide the same mini "shock-absorber" to absorb vibrations. We'll see how it works!

Regarding the iRule designs....why don't you absorb the tidbits I gave you above and reconfigure the GUI based on this feedback and then I'll give you my advice on the revamped interface for further refinement, if any.

Two other things came to mind:
  • On the home page I would start with source buttons in plain English such as "Watch DirecTV", "Watch a BluRay", "Listen to music" or even "Listen to music with the TV on". I call it my Grandma approach...so if Grandma can know nothing of your theater, pick up the iPad and watch her episode of "Days of our lives" without any help or instruction, then you have done a great job at setting up the GUI and the programming.
  • I would add an "AUDIO" button to the BluRay page....it's VERY convenient to just cycle through the different digital audio tracks instead of going into the software menus of the disc.

OK, that's it for now. I did have one question...without tearing through your thread, what's your lighting situation like? Do you have zones / scenes / control capabilities? Let me know. And please PM me your e-mail address.
post #461 of 647 Old 01-04-2013, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Tim,

I'll work on the GUI a little and post back what I come up with..... I like the audio button idea, the only reason I haven't added it already is I use PS3 for BR. The PS3 uses bluetooth control so its not controllable with irule without a dongle. I am going to add a ded BR player eventually its just on the list of "things to do"....

All the lights in the rear of the theater(5 mini spots) are on the same "zone" and controlled with a Lutron Maestro IR. The two mini spots in the front which "wash" the screen are on their own switch which is manually controlled. I havent yet decided whether I will use the IR control of the Global Cache GC-100-12 to run the lights and dedicate an IR port to each "zone" or go all out with some other expensive lighting control...... I'll have plenty of IR ports available since everything else is going to be controlled with serial or IP control(eventually).

I'm just getting off the groud with this irule stuff so its gonna take some time to get it right.
post #462 of 647 Old 01-05-2013, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Looking great Nick.... been real interesting watching your progress. Thanks for the vid on YouTube.

Follow my thread here
post #463 of 647 Old 01-05-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
That isolation platform is really smart. I used something similar when I made holograms.
post #464 of 647 Old 01-06-2013, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

UPDATE: The replacement Global Cache units came in yesterday. it seems to work well but I need to take time to take rack apart and run wires proper. its all hanging out of front right now just to make sure it works, and it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingaling2004 View Post

Looking great Nick.... been real interesting watching your progress. Thanks for the vid on YouTube.

Your welcome! Thanks for taking the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

That isolation platform is really smart. I used something similar when I made holograms.

Huh? Holograms? You gotta link me to that!
post #465 of 647 Old 01-07-2013, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For anyone interested, I just updated the Original post of this thread. It was waaaaay outdated and needed a refreshment. Its now up to date with synoptic pictures and hyperlinks. I'm sure there is something in there that everyone missed along the way...... I even added some stuff to the original post that I realized was missed.

Hopefully this will make my thread more inviting for newcomers and seasoned "helper-outers" can get a bigger picture of my situation and maybe see something they might have missed.

Its a first attempt at putting it together, so I'll try to polish the look a little more later.

Synopsis Clicky
post #466 of 647 Old 01-07-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 64
Nick,

Nice job cleaning up the early portions your build thread with a Synopsis.
This might seem like a dumb question, but I'm famous for dumb questions anyway, so I will ask:

How does one go back to the early portions of one's thread and >> clean it up via edits/ new entries etc..?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #467 of 647 Old 01-07-2013, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Nick,

Nice job cleaning up the early portions your build thread with a Synopsis.
This might seem like a dumb question, but I'm famous for dumb questions anyway, so I will ask:

How does one go back to the early portions of one's thread and >> clean it up via edits/ new entries etc..?

Yeah and a lot of time unfortunately!cool.gif
post #468 of 647 Old 01-17-2013, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I finished with integration of irule in the theater. Its quite an upgrade over the harmony I was using. I was able to add some custom functionality and the interface is much smoother. I'm still fine tuning the look and feel as well as making it more intuitive.

However, its a pretty good testimony that my 5yr old nephew was over last weekend and the ipad was laying on the table controlling the DIrectv in the Living room. His first actions when he gets to my house are normally asking where my son is and asking to watch "spongebob". I told him from across the room how to use the ipad and switch to NickJr and watch spongebob. Now mind you he's familiar with the ipad but he swiped over to the favorites page, recognized the Disney Icon, touched the screen, and was on his way..... Normally I'd have to do it for him.

The isolation platform is still working awesome, although I will be counter sinking the springs into the platform more to give me easier access to the top lens shift dials and make it overall more attractive.

Unfortunately, a couple financial excursions are slowing any new projects. I'm refinancing and just booked a little vacation. So theater funds are a little drained for a couple months so I'll prob just be focusing on some tweaking stuff. That is until tax return time which I hope will yield a little extra mooolah for a theater project or two wink.gif

Cheers,
Nicholas
post #469 of 647 Old 02-13-2013, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Very nice! I recognize quality work in there! I bet it's pretty cozy! I'm envious of your automation, my wife gets antsy every time I mention another gadget...but slowly, over time....that's how I got a Sonos into the house...! Great looking theater!
post #470 of 647 Old 02-25-2013, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks HHT48!

Hold on one minute........

I've been working on a Refi on the house which sucked up my time/funds for a bit but its about time to get back on task. Here are some projects to look forward to from the Workingman's Theater......

attachment.php?attachmentid=234507&d=1326865378

attachment.php?attachmentid=239631&stc=1&d=1331106106

And an iteration of this to be implemented in the Workingman's too.......

Well, the baffle wall part anyways..... wink.gif
post #471 of 647 Old 02-26-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All the parts to complete my SEOS LCRs just ordered so, time to start making some sawdust!

WOOT!
post #472 of 647 Old 02-26-2013, 09:11 AM

That is one SERIOUS case of upgrade-itis you have there Nick!!! Didn't you just finish a complete overhaul of your entire room like 10 minutes ago? LOL!

Seriously though, I look forward to following along on your speaker build. You definitely have the crazy skills needed to pull it off magnificently!
post #473 of 647 Old 02-26-2013, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is one SERIOUS case of upgrade-itis you have there Nick!!! Didn't you just finish a completeoverhaul of your entire room like 10 minutes ago? LOL!

Blasphemy!
post #474 of 647 Old 02-26-2013, 09:39 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

That is one SERIOUS case of upgrade-itis you have there Nick!!! Didn't you just finish a complete overhaul of your entire room like 10 minutes ago? LOL!

Finish? I've heard that word before. Isn't that, like, when you die or something?
post #475 of 647 Old 02-26-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Nick,

Can you post the details on your speaker build here so we can follow. Cost, design and such.

post #476 of 647 Old 02-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

All the parts to complete my SEOS LCRs just ordered so, time to start making some sawdust!

WOOT!

Cool, What SEOS variant are you building? Fedex tracking says my Tempests should be here tomorrow, cant wait! Have you decided anything more on your surrounds? I am going to be following NGiovas thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1301744/nicks-homebrew-bar-and-entertainment-area/0_60 closely as he has built the Alchemys as surrounds. Keep up the good work!

post #477 of 647 Old 02-27-2013, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit73 View Post

Quote:

WOOT!
Cool, What SEOS variant are you building? Fedex tracking says my Tempests should be here tomorrow, cant wait! Have you decided anything more on your surrounds? I am going to be following NGiovas thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1301744/nicks-homebrew-bar-and-entertainment-area/0_60 closely as he has built the Alchemys as surrounds. Keep up the good work!

Thats awesome man! The SEOS craze is pretty amazing, I havent ever heard them in person, but hopefully they live up to the hype. The tempests are prob my pick too in the off-the-shelf offerings at DIYSG too. I am building mine with Delta 12LFA woofers. There is a whole story on "why" but heres the basic short version.....
  • Found a good deal on 4 Delta 12 LFAs
  • Needed a sealed design to match up with my sealed subs
  • The woofer works very well in ~2.0ft^3 sealed with good extension, excursion control, and a F3 of 80Hz(THX spec).

I contacted Wayne over at Pi before ordering them and he said it had a favorable response and performance in that type application. He even uses it in one of His 3pi kits.

I contacted Bwaslo about working up a crossover for it, he did some nice work putting a crossover design together for it. I did upgrade the crossover components somewhat. I Used all the Audyn capacitors I could on the tweeter section, and upgraded from the standard NPE on the woofer to a Dayton Polyester. I couldn't bring myself to put a NPE in these babies!

These are the only ones being built with the LFA that I'm aware of.....

I have not made a decision on surrounds yet. IDK I might just have to deal with single monopoles. D. Erskine commented on a thread I posted and suggested an array of monopoles but IDK if I want to dive into that level of complexity. We shall see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by farkem View Post

Quote:

Finish? I've heard that word before. Isn't that, like, when you die or something?

Never!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

Nick,

Can you post the details on your speaker build here so we can follow. Cost, design and such.

Oh Heck yeah! The details will prob be light here but I'm gonna get a full build thread going once I actually cut wood. I have a unique and slightly more difficult cabinet design planned. These def wont be "Monkey Coffins" but until I test the concept and prove my skills are up to the challenge, I'm gonna keep that a secret for now!
post #478 of 647 Old 02-27-2013, 11:16 AM

Liked: 14
this is one of my favorite threads .... I am also interested to see your SEOS builds. Where can I read up on these? What do they get rave reviews? I think my next project I want to build a pair of 'statements'.

FSChris
ASROCK H67 GE / HT
Core i3

Carver AV-705 5Channel AMP
Zaph 2.5MM TT'S DIY

Emotiva XPA3

Emotiva UMC 200

2 x MFW 15 Clones DIY

post #479 of 647 Old 02-27-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Chris, I'm honored!

Curt's Statements are some killer speakers man, they get some really good reviews. Hurry up and build them so I can come have a listen biggrin.gif

Most the SEOS stuff is overhere.
post #480 of 647 Old 02-28-2013, 06:03 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Nick,

It's been quite some time since I've caught up on all your progress, ... wow .. congrats on all the hard work. Very entertaining, I'm glad I took the time. I think I'll stop by more often.

Best of luck

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page