Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #91 of 660 Old 06-04-2011, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I would instal/route a slightly smaller HVAC intake duct/ducting to the back of your rack. Instal/configure so that all of the airflow through the rack goes into the ducting, not just the attic. When the HVAC system is off your fans blow the hot air into the ducting were it will dissipate. Yet when the HVAC is running you get even better airflow without messing with your room or HVAC issues with pulling air back in from the attic etc.

Location of my equipment made this easy. But I can say it works quite well.

Love DIY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 660 Old 06-04-2011, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Ok got a few minutes to pick up most the garbage in the room to shoot a couple pics. This is rough gentlemen not half the acoustic treatment it needs and still rough around the edges, but i've received a lot of help on here and wanted to bring photo proof of where you guys have helped me get thusfar.......

Sorry no screen shots, but the panny does a great job. The guy I bought it from said it was calibrated by Bob Witfield, but I don't really know what that means

Woot! Its hot outside so its time to light the grill and let the pressure off some of those beaz in the fridge.
post #93 of 660 Old 06-05-2011, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Nice job! Thanks for posting the pictures of your progress so far. The attic space lends itself well to home theater. I can't help but wonder though if the long room coupled with the triangular shaped ceiling gives a very disctinctive sound. Acoustic problems or did the sound treatment you installed tame any echo? I really like your custom bases stands. Nothing wrong with the standard pipe stands but your design blends a lot better.
I apologize if you already answered this, but what screen size did you end up going with? 130" was too large. Did you end up with the 120" diagnonal you were contemplating? How far back is your projector? I look forward to seeing the final details completed.
I flipped through your MFW-15 Clone thread by the way. That is some crazy wood working. Glad it turned out for you. I would have given up and gone with a butt-jointed sealed box and called it a day.

Yeah I need more acoustic treatments just haven't got to it yet. I ended up with 120" which is the max zoom for my throw which is a bit over 12'.

The MFW clone was a challenge, I would have done a different design if I weren't using a salvaged mfw amp. I'm not sure how that amp would work with anything but a clone of the original.

Thanks for the complements!
post #94 of 660 Old 06-08-2011, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All the parts for a proper measurment setup should be here today!

I'll be using Laptop-UCA-202-Behringer XENYX-502-Cross Spectrum EMM-6.....

So probably need some help interpreting all those plots waterfalls etc.... Im still kinda new to REW.
post #95 of 660 Old 06-08-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

All the parts for a proper measurment setup should be here today! I'll be using Laptop-UCA-202-Behringer XENYX-502-Cross Spectrum EMM-6.....So probably need some help interpreting all those plots waterfalls etc.... Im still kinda new to REW.

I'll be interested to see how you do with this. I also just began my REW journey. I just switched from the UCA202/Xenyx 502 combo to a Tascam 122 soundcard/preamp. For me three things are turning out to be vital:1) Read the instructions in the REW/Help guide (then re-read it), 2) Patience, 3) and assistance on the HT Shack REW forum

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #96 of 660 Old 06-08-2011, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

I'll be interested to see how you do with this. I also just began my REW journey. I just switched from the UCA202/Xenyx 502 combo to a Tascam 122 soundcard/preamp. For me three things are turning out to be vital:1) Read the instructions in the REW/Help guide (then re-read it), 2) Patience, 3) and assistance on the HT Shack REW forum

why did you switch? Didn't work well enough?
post #97 of 660 Old 06-08-2011, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually the UCA 202 I got was from Amazon and was listed as used, I think the original buyer must have damaged it because;

I really fought it the first day. I then started over by switching from the Left to the Right channel. In the end; I determined one channel was dead and the other channel was intermittent.

At that point; knowing I needed to make a return - I chose the current (more expensive) direction.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #98 of 660 Old 06-08-2011, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK so I got the setup to work ok, took a lot of playing around with it. I got one good measurement before my girlfriend started giving me the evil eye.

Looks like I got mad room gain, and I need to turn down the subs a bit........ But the upper response is pretty flat huh?

More to come......
LL
post #99 of 660 Old 06-09-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks Good!
And I must add - you are a faster learner than myself - you got results within one day!
After two weeks I saw my first results just last night.

Did you calibrate the SPL level - if so that graph above appears to be taken at reference levels (and maybe a little extra)

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #100 of 660 Old 06-09-2011, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks! I'm not sure its all working perfectly, but yes I did calibrate the spl with a POS spl meter. I used the sub to cal spl, which was prob a bad thing since meters are notoriously less accurate in sub frequencies. It was not that loud in there......

Other than using a good spl meter and using main speakers how would one set the spl calibration more accurately?
post #101 of 660 Old 06-09-2011, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks! I'm not sure its all working perfectly, but yes I did calibrate the spl with a POS spl meter. I used the sub to cal spl, which was prob a bad thing since meters are notoriously less accurate in sub frequencies. It was not that loud in there......

Other than using a good spl meter and using main speakers how would one set the spl calibration more accurately?

Nick (I assume?),

I used a "Rat-Shack" analog meter to capture my SPL reading for entry into value into REW. Now that was not meant to imply that I know what I'm doing with REW (yet)

I think our "first graphs" are posted next to each other over on the HT Shack forum. I assume you have a different screen name over there?

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #102 of 660 Old 06-11-2011, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Nick (I assume?),

I used a "Rat-Shack" analog meter to capture my SPL reading for entry into value into REW. Now that was not meant to imply that I know what I'm doing with REW (yet)

I think our "first graphs" are posted next to each other over on the HT Shack forum. I assume you have a different screen name over there?

Ok, yeah Ive been reading your posts and have learned a bit from them. Some saved me the time of posting and asking myself.

I go by nottaway on all other forums but here, it was taken...

Ok thats what I thought abuot the spl. I used the meter I had and the test tones from the avr(which Audyssey set to 75db) and split the difference to 75.

Heres from last night, I still have a bunch of measuring to do. I would never guessed that seaing position measurements would be so different. Looks like I might only be able to optimize one or two seats......

post #103 of 660 Old 06-25-2011, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey where did everybody go?.....

HaHa! You guys werent kidding about don't install projector till your really done. I have been doing a lot of measuring and cleaning up though.

I did determine that the tweeter on the right channel is either blown or disconnected, or something in crossover blown, IDK ill have to do surgery sometime and find out. Really hard to tell with 8other speaks blazin' See graph below measured 2' equidistant between mids and tweeters. Yellow is Left channel Pink is Right. See the tell tale slope of the crossover of the mids to where the tweet should be, but no tweet.....

So did get some positive progress though with the sub eq here is a before and after EQ. I ended up with 7 bands for each channel, but i'm sure better results are attainable with better skill. Using this thing is quite a learning process. Anyways here is what I ended up with and I do think it sounds better. BTW the subs are way hot, but thats how I like it and they don't even sweat at -10 in U571.

Thats all for now hopefully i'll get to do some more work and maybe take a pic or vid of the cleaned up space.....
LL
LL
LL
post #104 of 660 Old 06-25-2011, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
That graph looks pretty good - heck, I think I'd settle for your before as my after - I have some sick spikes and nulls to try to figure out.
post #105 of 660 Old 06-25-2011, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Brad!

I just cruised your thread and its looking pretty good over there....
post #106 of 660 Old 07-09-2011, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So been a while since I posted.... Here's what I been up 2. I realized today I never posted pics of my nifty screen mounting method so here we go! To mount the screen to the wall I used a piano hinge. I mounted the piano hinge to the screen itself first. I then mounted a 2x4 on the screen wall. This was important and made leveling the screen horizontally easy peasy lemon squeezy.

See piano hinge mounted to 2x4 here:

So now what? The bottom just swings and swings too far into the screen wall to be level. Its very important that its level, so i wanted an adjustment mechanism for the bottom to fine tune. I used a carriage bolt threaded through a T-nut mounted through a piece of wood with a lock nut on the back. I fine tuned level in and out until perfect and set lock nut on back. Pretty Slick! Check it!

I also dressed up all the speaker wires with pants and shirts(banana plugs) so theyre pretty

Cool Right!? Now we just need to watch some movies! Wait, then the blue ray drive in my PS3 dies..... So now I have 2 with dead blue ray drives!

Time to figure out how to replace the BR drive in a PS3.......

PS3 fixed!!!! Whew didn't know there was so much in there it was a chore to get it back together and load disks and all.....

So popped it back in the rack, oh wait rack is finally finished too with all components installed and without photos it didn't happen!!

Finally getting to the fine tune stage and I'm glad because I'm tired of my HT beaing a MESS!!!!

What yaw think??????????????????????????????????????????
post #107 of 660 Old 07-09-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Hey Nick what towers are those?

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #108 of 660 Old 07-09-2011, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post
Hey Nick what towers are those?
All the speaks in my system except the mains are identical: EMP EF30Cs which are the internet direct version of RBH's TK515Cs MTM bookshelves.

The mains are the EF30Ts or RBH TK5CTs, TMMW Towers

Those front wides are on DIY stands made to look like the towers. I had to make them extra tall to align the tweets but they turned out real good I think. The speakers are the best I've ever had. Heres a pic of the mains lined up with the wides in case your interested....

The fact you thought they were towers is a complement. Thank You.
post #109 of 660 Old 07-17-2011, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

ok so next project!!!!! Other than my DIY MFW project which I just started, I need to change up the way I mounted the projector.

Why?

I've noticed some vibration during heavy bass scenes. I mounted the projector mount to a 6"x6" block of wood which is lag bolted to the roof truss.

I used this mount:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Anyone have any suggestions?
post #110 of 660 Old 07-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

I've noticed some vibration during heavy bass scenes. I mounted the projector mount to a 6"x6" block of wood which is lag bolted to the roof truss.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I was worried about this in my own theater, so I bought this mount from Chief that is supposed to minimize vibrations:

Chief CMA345

I've never actually seen any vibrations myself, so that says 1 of 2 things: either it's working great, or it's unnecessary.

I'm sure you could DIY a similar solution if interested since it's not exactly a cheap product.
post #111 of 660 Old 07-18-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDvids4all View Post

I'm sure you could DIY a similar solution if interested since it's not exactly a cheap product.

Im thinking two 3/4" ply or MDF sandwiched with foam rubber? I'm sure a google search will reveal some clever ideas for DIY.
post #112 of 660 Old 08-05-2011, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Haven't completely figured out my solution on this....... I'm thinking a projector box since I don't want to move it to the back walll...... The back wall
projection distance would be 19.5' vs
13'. I'm not
sure I want to give up the image pop I'm getting with the short throw to get
the projector on the back wall..... any suggestions?

Meanwhile this is why I haven't got more done:

Haha girlfriend approved image
post #113 of 660 Old 08-07-2011, 08:58 AM

Lately, my reasons for not getting any work done include a shoulder separation and a severe chest cold. I think I would rather have your "problem"
post #114 of 660 Old 08-07-2011, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER12883 View Post

Lately, my reasons for not getting any work done include a shoulder separation and a severe chest cold. I think I would rather have your "problem"

Dang those are hard times brotha!

Hope it looks up.....

She keeps me busy most the time with not fun stuff, but since I got a good pic of her butt, and since she approved it, thought it was good fun.

Still floundering on the projector mount and right now the projector is tore down so I GOT to figure something our PRONTO!
post #115 of 660 Old 08-07-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I think I would rather have your "problem"

I ABSOLUTELY second this^ comment!!

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #116 of 660 Old 08-09-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:

Dang those are hard times brotha!

Hope it looks up.....

Thanks. I wasn't looking for sympathy, I'm just trying to keep things in perspective . Besides, I did it doing something I love, playing hockey, so I can't complain too much. Either way, I'm on the mend, and you've got to figure your projector situation out, and try not to be side tracked by...erm...distractions
post #117 of 660 Old 08-09-2011, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I wasn't looking for sympathy, I'm just trying to keep things in perspective . Besides, I did it doing something I love, playing hockey, so I can't complain too much. Either way, I'm on the mend, and you've got to figure your projector situation out, and try not to be side tracked by...erm...distractions

Glad to hear that, I hear shoulders and knees can be some of the most painful injuries, I've had knee surgery so I feel your pain.

Ok, so projector mount. I took the 5"x5" block down which I had lag bolted to the roof truss. My thought was that the Sheetrock was resonating and shaking the projector.

Solution: I mounted a 2' long 2x4 across two trusses and mounted the mount to that. I've only demoed a little but haven't seen any shaking *yet*.

It's ugly for now I'll take it down and make pretty if it works good.
post #118 of 660 Old 08-30-2011, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok so mounting to the 2x4 helped the vibrating but did not completely solve it. I can still make out some vibration on seriously heavy bass scenes. But realistically it has to be so loud your wondering if the image got fuzzy or your vision blurred.....

I think eventually a rear wall cabinet will be in order and build-in my surround rears and projector. I think then I could put the projector on some foam as an isolator and it should be solid.

Just finished my DIY dual opposed MFW towers:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1348955&page=4

They have quite a bit more extension and SPL....

I'll post some frequency plots when I get a chance......
post #119 of 660 Old 10-11-2011, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm having trouble setting up the phase on my subs someone please chime in.....

Ok so my setup is Onkyo 3007>BFD>Ep4000. The sub amp is run in stereo mode feeding two dual opposed 15s off one channel and two single 15s off the other. The two dual opposed are to the front right and left and the two singles are nearfield behind the seating.

Here's the problem: if I set the sub phase for front and back subs independently to be in phase with the mains at crossover(70hz) they end up being out of phase down at like 30hz with each other! What does that mean? Which is better independently in phase with the mains at crossover point or in phase with each other down at like 30hz and one or the other out of phase with the mains?

I'll post REW graphs tonight I measures last night and the graphs look funky. Front subs look good but back subs have like an inverted response. drops from 10-50 and goes back up from 50-70.
post #120 of 660 Old 10-12-2011, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Apparently the subs nearfield were not such a good idea. Since its response was so funky in Audyssey I moved it away from the seating to the back corner. I also picked up about 6db headroom since Audyssey had EQed the 2nd sub so low it wasn't contributing significantly to room response. Here are a couple response graphs to help explain:

Before:

After:

LL
LL
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page