planning to go with stereo setup for my HT ??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-15-2010, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
as far as the whole eq thing, what if someone was intending to do build a home theater, but not going with a traditional 5.1 or 7.1 sound setup..?

eg, i am planning on just using my two speakers, and stereo amp, no sub, thats it....(the speakers i have are quite robust and outperform my previously used sub in every way)

blu ray player L&R audio outs -> integrated stereo amp -> L&R speakers
blu ray player HDMI out -> JVC projector

or i can use my pc as a source...

P.C HDMI out -> JVC projector.

P.C. firewire out -> RME soundcard firewire in / RME L&R outputs -> integrated stereo amp -> L&R speakers

its a very simple setup that sounds really great to me. i have no surround sound processors, no video processors, no equalizers, not to mention, if i were to match the quality of components to what i have now in a 5.1 or 7.1 system, it would coast ALOT of money (upwards of $15,000)

so is there much else for me to do but good room/ acoustic treatment and speaker placement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

I see it differently, it is not so much about what you have now, rather, it is about the future. If you don't want go surround at this time, at least, what you can do for the future is to wire for surround mode in case down the road if you change your mind, you have the wires there ready for you to expend, you can always add or upgrade equipment one piece at a time, but if wires are not there, it going to be very hard to expend. That is why folks here wire 5.1, 7.1, 9.1, 11.1 and a lot of other low voltage cables like HDMI, cat5e/cat6, etc. Many include myself run those cables in conduit for future upgrade, you never know what you will need in the future, the best thing is have the capacity to run new wires.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-15-2010, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

right, i almost mentioned that myself, i MAy want to go surround in the future, its just that for now this is what i will be doing, that may change down the road though...

how would you do this though, obviously i dont want holes left in my wall with wires hanging out that might never be used.. and wouldnt you have to know before hand, where the additional speakers will be placed, and would you have to decide how many more you wiull be adding?

how will it look after its pre wired, but no speakers in place???
post #4 of 12 Old 09-16-2010, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
If you're going to pre-wire, a low voltage box and a blank cover plate will be fine. No need to have holes.

There is more reason to have a sub rather than just performance. A sub:

- Takes the load off the main amp and speakers
- Allows movement of the sub to get best bass response without sacrificing speaker placement/screen lock/imaging.
- Allows tailoring of sub levels in relation to the mains where you may want more with movies, less with music, etc.

Bryan

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #5 of 12 Old 09-16-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I have standard old stereo sound in my multi use room, however I would not live without a sub..
post #6 of 12 Old 09-17-2010, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpape View Post

If you're going to pre-wire, a low voltage box and a blank cover plate will be fine. No need to have holes.

There is more reason to have a sub rather than just performance. A sub:

- Takes the load off the main amp and speakers
- Allows movement of the sub to get best bass response without sacrificing speaker placement/screen lock/imaging.
- Allows tailoring of sub levels in relation to the mains where you may want more with movies, less with music, etc.

Bryan

thanks, sounds good, thats probably what ill do as far as the prewiring.

those are good reasons to have a sub, but, my speakers and amp can handle the load fine. the amp im using now is higher quality than the one in the sub i used to own (james EMB 1500) and my speakers each have 2 - 8" woofers ( 4 in total) that are handling just the bass. and they produce more detailed and more accurate bass than the sub ever did.

yeah im sure if i went out and spent 5 grand on a sub i might get better bass, but thats just it, id HAVE to do that - to get better bass.

as far as tailoring the bass for music and movies, i dont want that control, i want to hear the amount of bass that was recorded in th emusic and movies, no more no less, i dont want to bump or cut low frequencies, once i get my HT room designed and treated, that should be enough.

if anything, ive only ever wished i could "lower" the bass during some movies, and "increased" for some music.

post #7 of 12 Old 09-17-2010, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

So do it. Just don't have us "sign off" on it as a "home theater".

You said specifically "i want to hear the amount of bass that was recorded in the music and movies", well you aren't going to hear it on your system. You're not going to hear the proper mix either. If anyone sits off center, they won't get very good dialog either. Etc, etc. There are reasons for the center speaker, the side and rear surrounds and the subwoofer(s).

There's nothing wrong with going 2 channel - if that's what you want. But for movies it will pale in comparison to a properly setup 7.1 system. It is possible to have both. Any good processor can be switched to a 2.0 configuration. I listen in both ways all the time on my Lexicon MC-1.

Just leave yourself the ability to add the other speakers later.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-17-2010, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse S View Post

So do it. Just don't have us "sign off" on it as a "home theater".

You said specifically "i want to hear the amount of bass that was recorded in the music and movies", well you aren't going to hear it on your system. You're not going to hear the proper mix either.

how the hell do you know that if youve never heard my system???

as far as music listenig goes, 2 channel stereo is going to be better than listening to it in surround sound, afterall thats how the music was recorded, and meant to be heard.

as far as for movies, yes i agree with you.

with similar quality components, (or maybe even lesser quality)a tuned, 5.1/7.1 system would top the system i have. but like i said originally, id have to spend alot more money, to get the desired system that id want if i were to go with a 7.1 setup.(in order to preserve the same quality of 2 channel listening)

i invested around $11,000 into my integrated amp and 2 speakers. if i had to buy the additional amps, a sub, a surround sound processor, AND 3 or 5 more speakers id be looking at another $15000 +

i mean, im crazy about great sound, but im not that crazy.

at this time i think id rather put the money into room treatment, surround sound IS most likey down the road for me.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to start off with a high end 2 channel system as your HT audio, IMHO.

It sounds like you have top notch audio gear and don't want to compromise on a lesser system now just to get a multi-channel experience. Frankly that makes sense to me given your desire to maintain a high end system. I agree with others that having a sub available, at least when you are watching movies with really low frequency bass, would heighten the experience for you (think of the scene near the end of Saving Private Ryan when the tank is about to drive over them--that gets into some low frequencies that I suspect even high end full range speakers might struggle to reproduce). That said, it is all just a personal preference issue--I am, shockingly to many I suspect, not a fan of shaking my room with a subwoofer. Might not be hearing it as intended, but my ears prefer to skip the mega bass. I am going with two smaller sealed subs in my room, and those won't get down really low and loud--great with music however.

As others mentioned, it is all about prewiring (I'd strongly recommend using conduit to your general locations so you have more flexibility). I didn't do that in some of the places I should have, and I will surely have to cut some holes and fish some wires at some point down the road as technologies develop. If your conduit at least gets the wires close to where you are likely to locate future speakers, worst case you will just need a couple cuts and patches in the walls to get them exactly where you want them.

BTW--If it is a dedicated space with sound treatments, quality video display etc, I will stick my neck out and "sign off on it as a Home Theater" (there--do you feel better knowing that you got sign-off from someone on the forum?) **Sorry Jesse--that just made me chuckle.**
post #10 of 12 Old 09-26-2010, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon View Post

Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to start off with a high end 2 channel system as your HT audio, IMHO.

It sounds like you have top notch audio gear and don't want to compromise on a lesser system now just to get a multi-channel experience. Frankly that makes sense to me given your desire to maintain a high end system. I agree with others that having a sub available, at least when you are watching movies with really low frequency bass, would heighten the experience for you (think of the scene near the end of Saving Private Ryan when the tank is about to drive over them--that gets into some low frequencies that I suspect even high end full range speakers might struggle to reproduce). That said, it is all just a personal preference issue--I am, shockingly to many I suspect, not a fan of shaking my room with a subwoofer. Might not be hearing it as intended, but my ears prefer to skip the mega bass. I am going with two smaller sealed subs in my room, and those won't get down really low and loud--great with music however.

As others mentioned, it is all about prewiring (I'd strongly recommend using conduit to your general locations so you have more flexibility). I didn't do that in some of the places I should have, and I will surely have to cut some holes and fish some wires at some point down the road as technologies develop. If your conduit at least gets the wires close to where you are likely to locate future speakers, worst case you will just need a couple cuts and patches in the walls to get them exactly where you want them.

BTW--If it is a dedicated space with sound treatments, quality video display etc, I will stick my neck out and "sign off on it as a Home Theater" (there--do you feel better knowing that you got sign-off from someone on the forum?) **Sorry Jesse--that just made me chuckle.**

thanks but i dont think pointed out strongly enough that my speakers DO shake my room. the quanity of bass that they produce is about equal to the sub i had, but the quality is where theres a huge difference. m the bass now is much faster and immediate, heck, it just plain sounds better!!!

i mean the subwoofer i was using wasnt the best, but wasnt exactly a piece of crap (james loudspeaker emb-1500 - over $2200) but it just loses greatly to my speakers. im 100% satisfied with the quality of my system. and im not an easy person to satisfy. the only room for improvement is in the area of surround sound. which im doing without right now, and the limitations with listening positions
post #11 of 12 Old 09-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Sounds like you have the bass covered. I am sorry to say that I have little experience with true high end speakers, so I didn't appreciate that they can match or outperform quality subwoofers in the really low bass area. Enjoy!!

You still get my "sign-off", with or without the subwoofer
post #12 of 12 Old 09-28-2010, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
What kind of speakers are these..I'm curious. Sound like they can really rock...

QUOTE=mainly;19245588]thanks but i dont think pointed out strongly enough that my speakers DO shake my room. the quanity of bass that they produce is about equal to the sub i had, but the quality is where theres a huge difference. m the bass now is much faster and immediate, heck, it just plain sounds better!!!

i mean the subwoofer i was using wasnt the best, but wasnt exactly a piece of crap (james loudspeaker emb-1500 - over $2200) but it just loses greatly to my speakers. im 100% satisfied with the quality of my system. and im not an easy person to satisfy. the only room for improvement is in the area of surround sound. which im doing without right now, and the limitations with listening positions[/quote]
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page