1Likes

Old 12-04-2010, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 467
WOW!!!!

Tonight I found myself bored. So...I connected my classic Nintendo system. Yup, that's right. After only 10 minutes of hunting around for cables long enough I found 'em and then had the charming tunes of Super Mario Bros playing loudly.

My wife and I played for 25 minutes...more than enough time to gain a whole new appreciation for the PS3 controllers. The NES were painful and our thumbs ached!

I do plan to revisit this soon, and maybe post pictures this weekend!

Panda84 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

On the NES I was unable to use the adapter that allowed me to pass the TV Cable through to TV (as origninally intended), since I own a PVR (which did not recognize, or allow this). So I instead used the Video 'Out' and Audio 'Out' off the NES straight to the receiver, set to Video 1.

Like a charm she worked awesome. 16 x 9 too!!! ahahaha terrible graphics though! But I enjoyed the memories it stirred up. My wife asked me to put Sonic the Hedge Hog on for her, as she loved that game...I said I'd look into it. ahahahahaha
Panda84 likes this.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Great!!! It's Christmas!

Too bad that means snow too...

Panda84 likes this.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Okay I need some warmer weather cheer:

Here is something I built too, it is not a theatre room, it's my outdoor palace...my BBQ zone!!!

Panda84 likes this.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

This was my brother's system for several years before he went all high-end. He has always led the way with Audio/ Video...looking back now though, it's hard to believe this was an over the top system of excess!

Panda84 likes this.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ahh the old NES...... That brings back a lot of memories.... I bet that was a blast from the past. The graphics were bad, lots of left/right game-play, but the games were more addicting than a lot of the games out today.

Nice deck. I built one of those this summer myself. What were the final dimensions of it? Did you bother to paint or stain it yet?
Panda84 likes this.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedavel View Post

Ahh the old NES...... That brings back a lot of memories.... I bet that was a blast from the past. The graphics were bad, lots of left/right game-play, but the games were more addicting than a lot of the games out today.

Nice deck. I built one of those this summer myself. What were the final dimensions of it? Did you bother to paint or stain it yet?

The deck is 10x14ft on the top level and a smaller second deck is below that 5x8ft. The top level has two stair cases, one is double wide and decends only five steps before it touches the lower level. The second stair case is full length and is 11 steps long. I am planning to build a large ground level deck this summer (if we don't go away); right now the area is just lawn, which is only a few stairs below the lower level, those stairs are full length of the deck at 8ft wide.

I did not stain the first year, the second year I did a natural tone, but it changed so much with our winter that I plan to strip it this summer. The wood is Red Cedar. I loved the smell of it the first time it rained!!! Thank you for the compliment.

NES is still a great game system, and full of entertainment value for anyone who needs a smile, or a memory jog...it does make me old though. Not as old as I do when I remember my intellivison...BATTLESHIP!!!!!!
Panda84 likes this.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

For months now I have been using two subs, and with great preformance.

My Dad called me up the other day and asked if he would be able to use a sub with his system. I explained what he would need to check for and what results he could expect. He just in not sure if it's for him or not, so I sent one of mine over to his house, so he could experiment. Now I am down to one sub. I ran a calibration test to correct for now only using one sub (This is maximum amount of LFE allowed by design of my AVR as well). To my surprise I am getting just as great "possibly" even better LFE. ???

I plan to run a dozen of my favorite movies that I know very well, to determine if this correct; if I am getting good results...why?
Panda84 likes this.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Centre channel before calibration. (Polkaudio CSi-A6)
LL
Panda84 likes this.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Centre channel after calibration. (Polkaudio CSi-A6)
LL
Panda84 likes this.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Standing wave after calibration, for Centre speaker. (Polkaudio CSi-A6)
LL
Panda84 likes this.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Christmas gifts from my family

Panda84 likes this.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:58 AM

Liked: 13
Wow, excellent setup! If you don't mind, what brand chairs did you use and where did you get them?
Panda84 likes this.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

I'm just starting to get a grip on these screens. I picked up a VSX-1325 during the boxing day sales. I gotta tell ya, the 1325 is A LOT more complicated then my old VSX-811D was..
Panda84 likes this.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
terrific theater zulu. really nice, i love it. i'm curious - what was the 1st movie you watched after completion - kill bill?
Panda84 likes this.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by enoga View Post

Wow, excellent setup! If you don't mind, what brand chairs did you use and where did you get them?

Thank you very much! We bought our chairs from Finesse, in Edmonton. I do not believe they sell that line anymore. We just love these chairs, and they have really been a major contribution to the look and feel of the theatre room.

Thanks again!
Old 12-30-2010, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeveredDime View Post

I'm just starting to get a grip on these screens. I picked up a VSX-1325 during the boxing day sales. I gotta tell ya, the 1325 is A LOT more complicated then my old VSX-811D was..

Nice deal! I used to live and breath Denon, but made the leap to my Elite VSX-21txh and have just been in love with it every time I turn it on. I am sure you already knew the many benefits of Pioneer having already owned one, but wow, you just have to love this GUI!!!

I make it a goal to sit down with the manual and go hard to make an improvement in sound every week...but I often do not have the time, nonetheless I try.

I have found this site helpful too:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1112470

Maybe you already knew about it?

Are you planning to go full 7 channel?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

terrific theater zulu. really nice, i love it. i'm curious - what was the 1st movie you watched after completion - kill bill?

To be very honest, I kept playing a half dozen movies in different clips, as tests and demos for myself while finishing the room off. But to answer question, the first full length movie was Kill Bill Vol. 1 and another one (I can't remember which one, or if it preceded Kill Bill...but they were both watched that evening together, back to back).

Thank your comments, I am very happy with the room, and my wife just loves it. She loves it so much so, that she gave a quick nod of the head for the inclusion of an new Amp. The theatre room has become a real family centre. We love it!!! We host as much as we can, however we are really busy too. So sometimes the room becomes a place for the tired and weary to escape to, and emerge several hours later a little more refreshed.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Nice deal! I used to live and breath Denon, but made the leap to my Elite VSX-21txh and have just been in love with it every time I turn it on. I am sure you already knew the many benefits of Pioneer having already owned one, but wow, you just have to love this GUI!!!

This is my third Pioneer, the first one is still around, it's been working garage duty for years. It's been subject to a ton of sawdust, welding, grinding and is still going strong. I have never had a Pioneer product quit on me. I've had very good luck with them.

Quote:

I have found this site helpful too:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1112470

Maybe you already knew about it?

Are you planning to go full 7 channel?

Thanks for the tip, I haven't seen that thread before.

I do plan to go full 7.1 I'm working on getting my permanent screen made this weekend then it's on to saving for the speakers. I haven't updated my thread in awhile, maybe once I get the screen mounted.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

an audio audit

In the next year I am hoping to have an audio audit preformed on the room. I would like to know where and what can be done for accoustics. As many readers will know, a great room can make good speakers sound great, or poor accoustics will make great speakers less than ideal.

I know more can be done, and I am sure with enough time dedicated to research I could discover it for myself. But it may just be nice, to have someone else who does this more often than me, show me some areas to focus resources (time, money, etc...).

I am going to look into both local experts, and those online.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeveredDime View Post

I do plan to go full 7.1 I'm working on getting my permanent screen made this weekend then it's on to saving for the speakers. I haven't updated my thread in awhile, maybe once I get the screen mounted.

So how did the screen go? Did you get it mounted?

When I was planning to wire my 7.1, I learned I would have to choose between Dolby and THX. There is a difference. I personally don't put a lot of beans into THX for much, it makes a nice guide/ruler, I did consider it as a choice. In the end I went for Dolby.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Old 01-05-2011, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Dolby 7.1

This is mine: 7.2

Note that my surround left and right are in front of the second row, and behind the front row. My aim was to make the front row middle seat, as close to standards as possible; and in turn, I tuned the bipole/dipole surrounds to dipole and found an excellent surround field. The results are conviencing and easy to become lost in, while also localizing and offering pin point accuracy when required by the source material.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

I would do this type of doodle while with clients, and in meetings...Then my mind would travel off to the far, far away land of "what will it sound like?"

...nobody ever asked me to explain them more than once...never. hah! Sometimes the math was off, sometimes the lines were crooked. But it gave me a vision. And that drove me through long days and nights of dreaming, building and saving.

I loved every minute of it. I would do it again! (maybe in a few years though...the boss would KILL ME!!!)
Old 01-05-2011, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

My set up for 7.1, rear and surround placement

Old 01-06-2011, 03:06 PM

Liked: 10
Look great. Are you walls painted or is that gray material? I can't really tell from the photos.

If just painted any plans to add any acoustic panels or other treatment?
Old 01-06-2011, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmove View Post

Look great. Are you walls painted or is that gray material? I can't really tell from the photos.

If just painted any plans to add any acoustic panels or other treatment?

They are just painted. I do hope to include panels too. Though I want to work with the LE/DE principle which make the screen wall the dead end (super absorbtion), and the rear wall the live end (refraction, such as a book case or uneven surface). I will also have two or three ceiling panels to catch the LCR 1st point reflections. I plan to continue researching all things before commiting.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

a haunting film, that continues to make me think of it's scenery and sound. It's been a week since I watched it, and I can't stop thinking about it.

The Thin Red Line - Criterion Collection, transfered by 4K technology making for a level of clarity I have rarely seen.
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3385...inredline.html

Epson 8100, Elara II Silver 106"
LL
LL
LL
Old 01-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The Thin Red Line

What a wonderful film. It's too bad it was overshadowed by Saving Private Ryan, as it was far superior IMO. Also too bad I didn't see it until years later.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:

They are just painted. I do hope to include panels too. Though I want to work with the LE/DE principle which make the screen wall the dead end (super absorbtion), and the rear wall the live end (refraction, such as a book case or uneven surface). I will also have two or three ceiling panels to catch the LCR 1st point reflections. I plan to continue researching all things before commiting.

I am in the same boat. I decided tonight to finally fix my columns to the wall and just stick with the painted walls for now. Make a final push for completion and then buy the gear to do my own measurements. Finally based on what that tells mw work on the wall treatment or panels.