Mark's From the Ground up Cinema Build - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 410 Old 01-10-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I don't think there would be any question about where the sweet spot was in the theater. You'd need a 5 point harness in all of your chairs, though!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 410 Old 01-10-2012, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Here is a photo after Mark finished the installation of the 36" sub:

And here he has it cranked right up:

post #273 of 410 Old 01-11-2012, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Is that REALLY a sub in the ceiling?

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #274 of 410 Old 01-11-2012, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Hey Mark - that baseboard looks awesome! (and the carpet too!) I hope you had a good time in Vegas and didn't do anything I wouldn't do (don't worry - I think you're safe )

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #275 of 410 Old 01-11-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
I wish but not it is not andymo very cleverly altered the photo so it looks like a sub in the ceiling..pretty cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Is that REALLY a sub in the ceiling?

post #276 of 410 Old 01-11-2012, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Andy, you are totally awesome dude. I want to thank you for a major contribution to my media room. No, not the sub-woofer you photoshoped on my ceiling but the black cracks in the wall and the ceiling you added in the "cranked up" picture where it looks like the thunderous woofer cracked the walls. I looked at it this morning and immediately called my wife to look at it because it was so right for the room. Within 15 minutes of seeing this I emailed the picture to our faux painter and told him we need to make a change. He is coming over this week to go over adding the cracks in the wall and ceiling. It will be done by the end of next week as we have a big party happening on the 21st. I will add you to the list of contributors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymo View Post

And here he has it cranked right up:

post #277 of 410 Old 01-11-2012, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGO2XS View Post

He is coming over this week to go over adding the cracks in the wall and ceiling.

That is awesome, and I bet it will look great with the theme, the old world weathered look. And when your subs start to take the room down, the real cracks will just blend in!
post #278 of 410 Old 01-11-2012, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

That is awesome, and I bet it will look great with the theme, the old world weathered look. And when your subs start to take the room down, the real cracks will just blend in!

Brad, I realize I am turning 55 this month but did you really have to mention "the old weathered look?". I thought we were friends
post #279 of 410 Old 01-11-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:

He is coming over this week to go over adding the cracks in the wall and ceiling

ROTFL. :

That is hilarious. Please post a picture when you are done! (unless you are now having ME on! LOL)

Best smile I've had all day!
post #280 of 410 Old 01-12-2012, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

I am pretty pumped up as I got my curtains installed today. They are a corduroy material and I also had a backing put on them. The material was so thick they had to sew in the backing by hand because the machine kept breaking needles. I help the guy hang them up and they took both of us. I wanted gold and the wife wanted burgandy. Glad we went with her choice. I will get some more pics later but I was so excited I wanted to show them off. It really is starting to feel good in the media room.

post #281 of 410 Old 01-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Jeeze, that room is huge, looks kinda empty. What were those room dimensions again ?
post #282 of 410 Old 01-12-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

+1 for burgundy! Looks great!

post #283 of 410 Old 01-12-2012, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post

Jeeze, that room is huge, looks kinda empty. What were those room dimensions again ?

It's 19 x 25. I really like the space and like anything else I build wished it was bigger!
post #284 of 410 Old 01-12-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

+1 for burgundy! Looks great!

Thanks. I really like it too. ..........by
the way looking for feedback on making a valance. Input is appreciated. No valance, a valance that hangs down 12", or the oval valance with some gold fringe???
post #285 of 410 Old 01-12-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Where will it go? The beam looks pretty close to the top of your opening. Are you planning to put it inside the opening? Will it obscure your lights?

I always thought the valance was to hide the curtain rod, but I can't see yours so I'm not sure I would put one up.

post #286 of 410 Old 01-13-2012, 06:54 AM

You've got a beautiful HT as well as house.. my wife and I would love to have a Spanish-style house.. I subscribed to your thread this week and didn't want to comment until I was completely caught up. Couldn't help but coming back every day just to see the progress. It is amazing to see a build of over a year in less than a week.. the attention to detail is great, and I love that your plan is fluid and go with feel more than anything.. I am the same way ( except I have limited resources.. lol).

The whole center channel situation made me gasp - I have never seen, nor heard of anyone having to put a hole in their wall to accommodate a center speaker (let alone willing to). You were so nonchalant too.... Oh, i'm blowing a whole in the side of my house.. no biggy, lol.

Thanks for sharing your story, I look forward to following your build "real time" from here on out.

post #287 of 410 Old 01-13-2012, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Where will it go? The beam looks pretty close to the top of your opening. Are you planning to put it inside the opening? Will it obscure your lights?

I always thought the valance was to hide the curtain rod, but I can't see yours so I'm not sure I would put one up.

Yes I must agree with you. I did take the time to recess the drapes 8" above the beam. It is a much cleaner look. Thanks!
post #288 of 410 Old 01-13-2012, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRwOOD73 View Post

You've got a beautiful HT as well as house.. my wife and I would love to have a Spanish-style house.. I subscribed to your thread this week and didn't want to comment until I was completely caught up. Couldn't help but coming back every day just to see the progress. It is amazing to see a build of over a year in less than a week.. the attention to detail is great, and I love that your plan is fluid and go with feel more than anything.. I am the same way ( except I have limited resources.. lol).

The whole center channel situation made me gasp - I have never seen, nor heard of anyone having to put a hole in their wall to accommodate a center speaker (let alone willing to). You were so nonchalant too.... Oh, i'm blowing a whole in the side of my house.. no biggy, lol.

Thanks for sharing your story, I look forward to following your build "real time" from here on out.

Thanks for checking the theater out. We have been a little dormant until recently and now everything is happening at once. I got myself in a pinch with the center channel speaker. The funny part is after cutting the hole in the house we were able to create a nice feature on the outside of the house.
post #289 of 410 Old 01-13-2012, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

I have an important announcement. The SMX screen has been shipped and is now in Tampa 50 miles away at the freight company. I almost want to drive up tomorrow (Saturday) to get it but I suppose I could wait until Monday. I received a few boxes of 2" O Corning 703 insulation I plan on putting on the screen wall. I will post some updates this weekend.
post #290 of 410 Old 01-14-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Just read this thread and it is an amazing build. Really like the touches you and your wife have added to really make it your own. I have to say, I love the marble you picked out for your media desk. The veins are beautiful, and I am not a green guy either but would add that piece to my house anyday.

Really looking great. Would love to see pictures of the rest of the house as well.
post #291 of 410 Old 01-14-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Just read this thread and it is an amazing build. Really like the touches you and your wife have added to really make it your own. I have to say, I love the marble you picked out for your media desk. The veins are beautiful, and I am not a green guy either but would add that piece to my house anyday.

Really looking great. Would love to see pictures of the rest of the house as well.

The name of the marble is Rain Forest. Some friends of mine had it years ago and I loved the veins as well. They cut groves on the underside of it and epoxied stainless steel rods because its so fragile. Now the theater room is done we are having photo's taken and I will post them soon.
post #292 of 410 Old 01-14-2012, 05:50 PM

Liked: 10
Like the drape; do you have a pic of the drape w/ no lights on in the daytime - how well does it work w/ light bleed around the edges? I'm wondering since I was going to do the same for my window treatment.

Mike
Started the build...Theater With A View
post #293 of 410 Old 01-15-2012, 05:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Typically I only use this word to describe insanely beautiful women but the house, the theater, the HT gear and the car... STUNNING!

Thank you for keeping us all grounded as we follow along your dream inducing build.

Wish we still lived in Sarasota for a closer peek, my son was born there and I managed a few of the Tire Kingdom stores in that area (do not know if they still exist).

Cannot wait to see the end result!

Jason
post #294 of 410 Old 01-15-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by misugrad View Post

Like the drape; do you have a pic of the drape w/ no lights on in the daytime - how well does it work w/ light bleed around the edges? I'm wondering since I was going to do the same for my window treatment.

I started to respond to your question last night and thought I would wait and take a closer look at your question during the day. The drapes provide as close to a black out shade as you can get for a few reasons. The window is outset like a "bay window" so the drapes return directly into a wall, to the right and the left of the windows is one foot of drywall , and the curtain rod is recessed up in the ceiling about 8 inches. With the curtain over lapping the wall on all four sides it does not allow light in. However, when the sun is shinning directly on the drapes they do have a little glow of burgundy. My drapes are heavy and I have a tan liner sewed into them. I could have done black but with the afternoon sun I was afraid it would be too hard on the darker material.

I do like the window even though it does have disadvantages....affects side channel speaker placement, its theoretically another place for sound to bounce around, and it is certainly more expensive than concrete and drywall. I like to open the drapes in the morning and let the light shine in. It is great to work in the real light and it gives the room two different looks.
post #295 of 410 Old 01-15-2012, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Typically I only use this word to describe insanely beautiful women but the house, the theater, the HT gear and the car... STUNNING!

Thank you for keeping us all grounded as we follow along your dream inducing build.

Wish we still lived in Sarasota for a closer peek, my son was born there and I managed a few of the Tire Kingdom stores in that area (do not know if they still exist).

Cannot wait to see the end result!

Jason

Jason, yes the tire kingdoms are still here. You are certainly welcome anytime you are in town if you are ever in the area. Wow, you have over 13,000 posts....I feel honored you would make a comment on my build. Yes, this theater is a dream for me and I am thankful to have the chance to build it. As I have already mentioned I am really excited about getting closer to the end.
post #296 of 410 Old 01-15-2012, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

This is been one long weekend on the theater room. After finding out the screen was to be delivered any day I decided to move forward on building and installing accoustic panels behind the accoustically transparent screen. I settled on using 2 inch owens corning 703 panels. I ordered some really nice black micro suede fabric from ATS Acoustics. I was afraid the panels where so thick I would have trouble covering them so we build some acoustic panel frames out of some 1 x 2's and 1/8 inch luan plywood. Here is a picture of the frames. These are 24 x 48 inches.

We then cut the 2" material to fit inside the frame.

And then stretched the fabric over the top and around the back and stapled them. It is not as messy as using contact bond but we were more careful about pulling the fabric around to the back. These panels will be mounted in the area between the wall unit and the ceiling so the edges were will not be visble. I still did my best to make them a clean as possible. I know the fabric looks wierd in this picture but I had not brushed in yet to make it look uniform.

This is a terrible picture but the room was dark and I guess I wobbled the camera a little so it looks a little out of focus. The center channel speaker is in place and I have 8 of the panels installed. I have 6 more to build and install to finish the area around the center channel speaker.
My good friend and audio genius Mike Chafee came by to give my system an initial tune. He was here the good part of 3 hours calibrating, listening, adjusting this, adjusting that.................Mike tunes systems that make mine look like a boom box
for a living in additional to have this incredible audio mind. There are so many adjustments on my system it is mind bogling. He left with a smile on his face although not finished. Room acoustics is still far from over but right now this system set up blows my mind. That is what is left of it.

P.S. I wish I had taken a picture of the 21 " tv I have on a table in front of the theater chairs. My temporary screen is vinyl and now the center channel is installed I can't put it back up. No more big screen tv until my screen gets put up.
post #297 of 410 Old 01-17-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

post #298 of 410 Old 01-17-2012, 09:52 PM

All I can say is........wow. That is one beautiful setup you ave there. Might be the ticket to convince my wife to let me build a HT room when we do our extension.

post #299 of 410 Old 01-18-2012, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMMINS View Post

All I can say is........wow. That is one beautiful setup you ave there. Might be the ticket to convince my wife to let me build a HT room when we do our extension.

Good luck!! I was lucky the wife was going to let me do anything I wanted with the theater. We had a difference of opinion when it came to the carpet, paint, and drapes. All I can say is I let her have her way.
post #300 of 410 Old 01-19-2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGO2XS View Post

Good luck!! I was lucky the wife was going to let me do anything I wanted with the theater. We had a difference of opinion when it came to the carpet, paint, and drapes. All I can say is I let her have her way.

Really fantastic setup! And for the record, it's important that the carpet match the curtains....
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page