Mark's From the Ground up Cinema Build - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 410 Old 03-06-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am still sharing pictures The family room is my favorite room in the house because we had so much fun with it. It was basically just one big tall family room and we had no idea what we were doing with it. We have some friends who directed us to Sarasota Architectural Supply. Its a big old warehouse full of old stuff. These guys travel all over Florida and surrounding states purchasing vintage stuff. A lot of this stuff sits outside because it is build with old hard wood and you can't hurt it. Our buying first started off with the two old windows you see in the picture. We had no idea where they were going at first. At the same time we stopped by this shop to buy my wife some wine and they had this balcony with a door. I thought cool man, maybe we could do like a tuscan village scene on the wall. We picked out this old door and some shutters and tried to figure out how to make it work. I moved the a/c vents 3 times but I did not want them noticeable. If you look in the balcony you will notice the two a/c grates we built. The balcony is pecky cypress and the railings you see were designed by my wife and a good friend built them all in place. We wanted brick over plaster on the walls and we where preparing to cover the wall in brick since we did all of the stone work in the house ourselves. along came the faux painter who did my media room and he made them out of plaster and paint. The stain glass window came out of a church in Maine. The pulleys you see above the TV are from my grandfathers farm in Indiana. Many of them were used by my father as a young boy on the farm. The big candlesticks were one of those pieces of furniture I thought you my be kidding me when i looked at the price but I like them. The flooring is paver bricks on the porch and porcelain tile in the house.......yes, it is the most realistic slate I have seen. Its tuff, durable, easy to clean, and I would trade it for the real thing that cracks, needs sealed, and is hard to clean. My mom has real stone in her house and it is a pain to clean. I wish I had a picture of the ceiling. I installed some (fake) monster beans. You can't tell them from real and although it took some effort but cannot be told from real. Oh ya, the stone you see on the wall is synthetic stone.....fake yes but colors are beautiful and you don't have to sit around chipping a bunch of real heavy old rocks all day. I say these things because there are some very clever material that really make a difference.

The front door was the best bargain in the whole house. It is wrought iron and stands 10 feet tall. The glass is 1 inch thick and the door has a radius top and it is convex so the door is rounded toward the outside. I hung the door with a Bobcat as it weighs about 1200 lbs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 410 Old 03-06-2012, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very impressive...I have had similar ideas for my next to be built home..(and resource things from back home in my country of origin)..but you made it reality..and also gave me tons of ideas...
Beautiful workmanship, planning and execution..
post #363 of 410 Old 03-06-2012, 09:29 PM

so.. Whats it like to have the best house and home theater ever?
My god I need a real job.
post #364 of 410 Old 05-08-2012, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drriddhish View Post

Very impressive...I have had similar ideas for my next to be built home..(and resource things from back home in my country of origin)..but you made it reality..and also gave me tons of ideas...
Beautiful workmanship, planning and execution..

thanks so much for the kind words.
post #365 of 410 Old 05-09-2012, 06:44 PM

I love looking at the pictures of your home. Truly a masterpiece Mark! Well done!
post #366 of 410 Old 05-09-2012, 07:04 PM

Very nice decor and flow. HT looks fantastic. In you pond, what type of fountain pump? What size and where did you get it?

Mike
Started the build...Theater With A View
post #367 of 410 Old 05-10-2012, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestHT View Post

I love looking at the pictures of your home. Truly a masterpiece Mark! Well done!

thank you very much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misugrad View Post

Very nice decor and flow. HT looks fantastic. In you pond, what type of fountain pump? What size and where did you get it?

I purchased an Oase fountain pump. They are very nice stainless steel submersible pump and they can operate in as little as 4 feet of water. The unit I purchase is called the Stratavator MINI Floating Fountain. I got the 1/2 hp unit which is 110V. It comes with the floating attachment as the pump sits in the middle and there are 3 lights around the outside. I wired for a 220v pump because I intended to put a much bigger pump in. For my size of pond the 1/2 hp was just fine. They came with a 3 year warranty. The lights are a great feature and I wanted a fountain also for aeration for the fish I have in the pond. My fountain runs about 16 hours a day. I bought my pump from http://www.waterworldonline.com. PM me if you need any other info.

http://www.oase.ca/usa/mini.htm
post #368 of 410 Old 06-03-2012, 11:55 PM

Marc, this is just great and I love it. Triggered by a pic of your Genelecs elsewhere I Just scrolled through the whole thread. Beeing truly spechless I must say this is my favourite. You really live your dreams. This is what happens, when talent, passion, hard work and luck come all together. Too bad we travel Florida so rarely.

Good luck and all the best from Germany.
rumpeli
post #369 of 410 Old 06-04-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpeli View Post

Marc, this is just great and I love it. Triggered by a pic of your Genelecs elsewhere I Just scrolled through the whole thread. Beeing truly spechless I must say this is my favourite. You really live your dreams. This is what happens, when talent, passion, hard work and luck come all together. Too bad we travel Florida so rarely.

Good luck and all the best from Germany.
rumpeli

rumpell, thank you..........i love those Genelecs. I guess you saw the discussion on my thread to cover or not to cover those speakers. At this point I have chosen not to cover them because I love looking at them. I am a visual kind of guy and through some good money at those speakers.

You really hit the nail on the head when you spoke of the end result of my theater............talent, passion, hard work, and especially LUCK. We really never know how our ideas will end do me.

To quote my old drinking buddy..........." I would rather be lucky than good"

if your ever in Florida please visit!!
post #370 of 410 Old 06-04-2012, 07:34 PM

Your Home is awesome, I think I will have to show the wife your pictures, maybe she will not mind a little hard work right now if we can get to something like you have managed to make later.

Do you have a picture of the Theater room, looking across the room at the window (similar to the one a little ways back), but with most of the room lights off except the fiber optic dome and maybe the stair LEDs, at night with the fountain lit and showing in the window? (Maybe a movie on, if it doesn't take away from the outside scene)

I can only imagine how nice and relaxing that would be while watching a movie late at night.

My "Route 66 Basement Theater" Build Thread
post #371 of 410 Old 06-08-2012, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

I had moved on to some other projects around our home and have slowly been working back on the theater. One area in particular I have been working on is organizing my equipment room. I am really happy about the cabinets we built and especially the drawers. All those odds and ends, cables, connectors, tools, etc are right in there where I use them. I have some other pictures coming and hope you enjoy. Oh and I know, i need to trim out my access panel in the ceiling.smile.gif Baby steps man, baby steps................

DSC_7187_8_9Auto.jpg
post #372 of 410 Old 06-10-2012, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

post #373 of 410 Old 06-12-2012, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Hey Mark - Looking really sharp over there!

Oh and by the way...expect your phone to ring sometime soon - I still don't have my iRule all set up! And then after that expect your doorbell to ring...I'm inviting myself over when I'm in FL in a few weeks. biggrin.gif

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #374 of 410 Old 06-12-2012, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBenji View Post

Hey Mark - Looking really sharp over there!
Oh and by the way...expect your phone to ring sometime soon - I still don't have my iRule all set up! And then after that expect your doorbell to ring...I'm inviting myself over when I'm in FL in a few weeks. biggrin.gif

Awesome Ben. It will be like royalty when you arrive...................I will roll out the red carpet. If you want to sightsee in Florida for a day you can always shack up in the garage apartment for a night.

I am constantly updating and working on my iRule. I even control all of the tv's in my house now. It takes a little longer to use the iPhone or the iPad to turn TV's on but it is the gadget factor that keeps me taking the long road to turning equipment on.biggrin.gif
post #375 of 410 Old 06-13-2012, 01:49 PM

Liked: 13
Mark,

Great job on your home theater! The red drapes add some nice warmth to the decor of your room. I like looking at my speakers also so I know where you are coming from. Excellent work!biggrin.gif

Thanks for sharing,

Jim
post #376 of 410 Old 06-13-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek737 View Post

Mark,
Great job on your home theater! The red drapes add some nice warmth to the decor of your room. I like looking at my speakers also so I know where you are coming from. Excellent work!biggrin.gif
Thanks for sharing,
Jim

thank you Jim. I must admit the wife wanted red and I wanted gold.......guess you see who won but you clearly demonstrate by your compliment my wife had the better choice. I really do love the red drapes as they really show some nice bright color in the room.

We did have some comments earlier in the thread about either covering or not covering the speakers. I am a drummer and love drums and big PA systems so these speakers remind me of a nice sound system every time I look at them. Guess they will stay exposed for now.
post #377 of 410 Old 06-13-2012, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

My new favorite picture of the media room. There is a gap on the bottom and right side of the screen. I am not sure if this was a result of overlaying multiple images to get this picture or if image was not aligned. Oh,the pursuit of perfection...........wink.gif

057And4more_tonemapped_LR4.jpg
post #378 of 410 Old 06-13-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGO2XS View Post

thank you Jim. I must admit the wife wanted red and I wanted gold.......guess you see who won but you clearly demonstrate by your compliment my wife had the better choice. I really do love the red drapes as they really show some nice bright color in the room.
We did have some comments earlier in the thread about either covering or not covering the speakers. I am a drummer and love drums and big PA systems so these speakers remind me of a nice sound system every time I look at them. Guess they will stay exposed for now.

I played drums when I was in high school and have always had it in the back of my mine how nice it would be to get another drum set.

Your theater follows the same decor of the rest of your home which is very nice. If you took the curtains out of the theater the remining elements are more rough / cold and the drapes play off it perfectly. Contrast in textures is key to design and wam and cold entice the eye.

I totally understand where people are coming from with the clean look of speakers behind the screen. But if your speakers are works of art show them off. It's like the cross drilled rotors, big brakes, and wheels of say Farrari 458.... A work of art!

You could always make some grills covered in fabric and have the best of both worlds, ie put them on or off at your pleasure...

Cheers,

Jim
post #379 of 410 Old 06-13-2012, 07:59 PM

Mark,

Most of your photos appear to have HDR applied to them. The screen shot is usually just finding a HD screen shot that you down load from the internet, and with one layer in photoshop they put it directly on your white screen. That alignment is an easy fix for one who is proficient in PS...

Jim

I am looking around the screen and see several light circles. eek.gif The photo is getting better but there is room for improvement. At least that is what I see from my iPad....
post #380 of 410 Old 06-13-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:

My new favorite picture of the media room. There is a gap on the bottom and right side of the screen. I am not sure if this was a result of overlaying multiple images to get this picture or if image was not aligned. Oh,the pursuit of perfection...........wink.gif

057And4more_tonemapped_LR4.jpg

Love it, i'll have to show my 4 yr. old son.. he loves "the green hulk" ~ thats what he calls him..

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

post #381 of 410 Old 06-14-2012, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I played drums when I was in high school and have always had it in the back of my mine how nice it would be to get another drum set.

You could always make some grills covered in fabric and have the best of both worlds, ie put them on or off at your pleasure...
Cheers,
Jim

Get another drum set Jim. I am not sure how long it has been since you have been it high school.........you might need to brushing up on those skins:D
post #382 of 410 Old 06-14-2012, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Mark,
Most of your photos appear to have HDR applied to them. The screen shot is usually just finding a HD screen shot that you down load from the internet, and with one layer in photoshop they put it directly on your white screen. That alignment is an easy fix for one who is proficient in PS...
Jim
I am looking around the screen and see several light circles. eek.gif The photo is getting better but there is room for improvement. At least that is what I see from my iPad....

Sounds like you know your photos Jim. thanks for the advice!!!
post #383 of 410 Old 06-16-2012, 05:26 AM

Quote:

Get another drum set Jim. I am not sure how long it has been since you have been it high school.........you might need to brushing up on those skins:D

It has been along time.... And yes I would need to practice a lot....biggrin.gif
post #384 of 410 Old 06-24-2012, 05:01 AM

Liked: 11
Mark,

From one former Indiana kid to another, your home and theater are stunning. I'm currently working overseas and watching your build has always been something I look forward to. This has absolutely been my favorite build on AVS. smile.gif

And the cars aren't too shabby either. I've spend 35 years as an engineer in the auto industry and I always enjoy a great street rod.

Bob
post #385 of 410 Old 06-24-2012, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoblK View Post

Mark,
From one former Indiana kid to another, your home and theater are stunning. I'm currently working overseas and watching your build has always been something I look forward to. This has absolutely been my favorite build on AVS. smile.gif
And the cars aren't too shabby either. I've spend 35 years as an engineer in the auto industry and I always enjoys a great street rod.
Bob
Bob, this picture is for you. Its a glamour shot of the interior of my garage. As it is a working garage I don't always get it to look like this. I love it when it is clean.biggrin.gif

082-086_LR4.jpg
post #386 of 410 Old 06-25-2012, 06:11 AM

mad.gif Now your just rubbing our noses in it!!! lol

Great looking garage... Those are some beautiful cars!! wink.gif

post #387 of 410 Old 06-25-2012, 07:20 AM

Liked: 11
Thanks Mark

It looks like there might be a Nomad Station Wagon in the back, but I can't make out the pickup setting at the hoist behind the Willys.

That looks like a great place to work and have fun.

It would be fun to see it in person, but that is an 8000+ mile haul.

Regards,

Bob
post #388 of 410 Old 06-25-2012, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoblK View Post

Thanks Mark
It looks like there might be a Nomad Station Wagon in the back, but I can't make out the pickup setting at the hoist behind the Willys.
That looks like a great place to work and have fun.
It would be fun to see it in person, but that is an 8000+ mile haul.
Regards,
Bob

It is a 1966 chevrolet suburban, the truck in the back is a 1952 Ford p/u.....big white walls and air ride so it sits on the ground. i like trucks a lot. I have a pretty good sound system in every car I own. I love music and particularly like to listen to loud music!!
post #389 of 410 Old 07-09-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Hey guys, I am attaching a link to an article in Audio Times written about Michael Chafee. Mike has been in the sound business for many years. Not only does he represent many of the high end audio companies selling products to audio video stores but he also tunes some pretty awesome systems. Mike just got back from tuning one system in Celine Dion's house in Jupiter. Mike has helped me select products for my last two media rooms and once installed provides his incredible abilities to make it sound right. I hope you enjoy this article in Audio Times.

http://www.audio-times.com/audiotimes/2012/07/01/in-conversation-with-sound-installation-designer-michael-chafee/
post #390 of 410 Old 12-04-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guys, just checking in a bit. Still hang around the site but I havent been doing much posting. I realize I am not the first or the last of us to have an article in Electronic House Magazine. Right now they have a digital article about my theater online. Check it out if you would like. Hoping the wife doesnt read the title because it might give away the cost of some of my theater.smile.gif
http://www.electronichouse.com/article/diy_home_theater_with_95k_sound_system/
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page