Mark's From the Ground up Cinema Build - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 413 Old 05-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow. Insane build and what a treat for the eyes... I pulled all my wires thru the house while it was being built and felt that I never would forget yet 6 years later and I'm lucky the labels haven't fallen off...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 413 Old 05-18-2011, 06:19 AM

I must say, as a total newbie to the HT world, seeing your build is not only impressive, but at moments even I feel overwhelmed. Best of luck with the end product. You definitely seem to have every base covered.

BTW, I wouldn't worry about forgetting a wire. From the looks of it, you even have back-up wires for the back-ups.http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/image...es/biggrin.gif
post #93 of 413 Old 05-18-2011, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionRx View Post

Wow. Insane build and what a treat for the eyes... I pulled all my wires thru the house while it was being built and felt that I never would forget yet 6 years later and I'm lucky the labels haven't fallen off...

The best thing I did in the beginning was to purchase a good label maker that would print on 1 inch wide tape. I numbered, labeled, and also made a spreadsheet of where all the wires go. My electrician paid $450 for his but I found a good P Touch for $150. I have had my share of trying to track wires down in the past and trying to elimiinate it this time.
post #94 of 413 Old 05-18-2011, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Ragu View Post

I must say, as a total newbie to the HT world, seeing your build is not only impressive, but at moments even I feel overwhelmed. Best of luck with the end product. You definitely seem to have every base covered.

BTW, I wouldn't worry about forgetting a wire. From the looks of it, you even have back-up wires for the back-ups.http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/image...es/biggrin.gif

Big Ragu, dude, sometimes I feel overwhelmed too!! I ran chase pipes to all audio vidio locations so I can always sneak some wires in later. I don't know if I have all the bases covered but I have a lot of them. Drywall starts tomorrow and I am still finding little things to improve. I have a drywall crew coming in and I will follow the drywall installation up until the last board just to make sure nothing gets lost. This morning I went through and took a picture of all of the wiring in the house just in case I loose something.
post #95 of 413 Old 05-18-2011, 07:45 PM

First of all and for the record, I'm totally jealous! You've got an incredible home; not to mention what will be an insane HTR. But to top it off, you live in sunny (and warm) FL! I've been trying to get down there for years. My bro-in-law lives in Jupiter. I love it down there. But the job market in FL isn't so great. Especially so for guys like me - pharmaceutical corporate attorney. Some day I'll get down there and be able to enjoy sunny days and warm weather year round. Good luck with the Sheetrock crew.
post #96 of 413 Old 05-19-2011, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a picture of the second drawing of the screen wall. The middle cabinet on either side of the screen will house the main speakers. They will have a door frame but nothing on the inside as I want to see me mains. The top cabinets have a gothic arch and bottom doors are shown with a metal mesh material which will be faux painted to look old. the large oval shaped center section looks a little funny right now but the cabinet will house my genelec hts-6 subwoofer. The cabinet will be lighted on the inside so you can see the sub. Those dark railing images are from a cast iron railing I purchased from a architectual salvage yard. I have a lot of this kind of stuff going in the house. They are heavy and I will have to figure out how to keep them from rattling.

Here is picture of the old railing I removed them from.

Drywall was delivered today and they should start hanging it tomorrow. With the two story house and no window access they had about 8 guys loading the house. They brought in a lot of boards today. I did take the liberty of taking the first picture of the front of the house since it was in the block stage. It is still not done as there is just a little more "stuff" to put on the house. If you saw my garage picture earlier in the thread you will notice the house matches the garage or the garage matches the house.....depends on if I am describing it or my wife. She is very happy to see the drywall show up. I did take the photo with a wide angle lens as I was shooting pictures of the inside of the house so the photo might be slightly askew.

post #97 of 413 Old 05-24-2011, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Today was a very exciting day in the media room as the drywall was hung and they began finishing. Wow what a relief to get to this step. I have spent more time in this room than the rest of the house combined in the last 3 months. I did not show any pictures but last week we insulated every interior wall of the house including the walk in pantry and all closets. I did put the master bedroom on the other side of the house from the theater but I wanted to take as many precautions as I could to keep sound down to a minimum. 70 percent of my theater walls are concrete block exterior walls filled with foam, then 3/4 inches of foam insulation with furring strips on top. The 30 feet or so of 2x 6 wall adjoin the interior of the house. We did use two layers of drywall with green glue on these walls with R19 batt insulation. 12 or so feet of the wall is inside the equipment room so i really do not have that much exposure. All and all I am very happy with my room. The plywood you see will be a base for the stone on the bottom of the columns. I originally planned on putting stone on the entire column but too much hard surface. I just could not giving up using some stone in the room.

I am really excited about this room now although there is so much more work to do.

post #98 of 413 Old 05-24-2011, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Can you discribe what's going with the last two pictures? Trying to figure it out but Im at a loss.
post #99 of 413 Old 05-24-2011, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I absolutely love the arches and ceiling design. What a great looking room. Thanks for sharing!
post #100 of 413 Old 05-24-2011, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener View Post

Can you discribe what's going with the last two pictures? Trying to figure it out but Im at a loss.

Assuming his equipment room and shel for PJ...but there is alot going on in there

post #101 of 413 Old 05-24-2011, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Ya man, I guess I got a little low voltage panel crazy but I had the room and I have had to fight panels with way too much wire in them and decided to segregate wiring more. The three tall panels placed a little higher up in the equipment room are Vantage lighting panels. There are two panels below them.....one panel has all of the shade wire run to it with room for the relays to operate them. the other panel next to it houses a bunch of 2 and 4 conductor wires for motions ( I have 6 Vantage motions outside in case someone approaches different entrances to the house and 7 inside the house to turn on lights as one enters a room at night. Most all of the closet doors have two conducter wires going to this box to turn on lights as you open the door, garage door wiring, etc.

The one panel on the wall by itself is the Elk alarm panel. The box with the unsightly brown background is for the computer monitor so i can recess it in the wall. I have one panel for network, one panel for camera's, and one panel for cat5 and cat6 to all of the tv locations. There is one panel for all of the 10 or so pairs of speakers in the house, and one of those boxes is the 100 dedicated electric service to the equipment room.

I know its a bunch but it really is organized pretty well.........I hope

It will all make more sense once I get to the finish stages. I hope I didn't confuse the question more by this answer!!
post #102 of 413 Old 05-24-2011, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig72 View Post

I absolutely love the arches and ceiling design. What a great looking room. Thanks for sharing!

thanks, I have been anxiously awaiting drywall on these arches to really see them. There have been so many changes to them I am glad to finally see them in their true form. Now it is just making sure we get the right finish on them to make the room pop.
post #103 of 413 Old 05-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Glad to see your are staying true to your name.
post #104 of 413 Old 05-24-2011, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGO2XS View Post

Ya man, I guess I got a little low voltage panel crazy but I had the room and I have had to fight panels with way too much wire in them and decided to segregate wiring more. The three tall panels placed a little higher up in the equipment room are Vantage lighting panels. There are two panels below them.....one panel has all of the shade wire run to it with room for the relays to operate them. the other panel next to it houses a bunch of 2 and 4 conductor wires for motions ( I have 6 Vantage motions outside in case someone approaches different entrances to the house and 7 inside the house to turn on lights as one enters a room at night. Most all of the closet doors have two conducter wires going to this box to turn on lights as you open the door, garage door wiring, etc.

The one panel on the wall by itself is the Elk alarm panel. The box with the unsightly brown background is for the computer monitor so i can recess it in the wall. I have one panel for network, one panel for camera's, and one panel for cat5 and cat6 to all of the tv locations. There is one panel for all of the 10 or so pairs of speakers in the house, and one of those boxes is the 100 dedicated electric service to the equipment room.

I know its a bunch but it really is organized pretty well.........I hope

It will all make more sense once I get to the finish stages. I hope I didn't confuse the question more by this answer!!

Wow!! Your house is gonna have a mind of its own, and its going to reside in that room?? Thats amazing. I sure love how todays homes are becoming more automated. Cant wait to see it in a future edition of Electronic House magazine.
post #105 of 413 Old 05-25-2011, 07:14 AM

Looking great...keep the pics coming.
post #106 of 413 Old 05-25-2011, 07:17 AM

Follow up note...looking at your equipment room, where is your AV equipment going go? See all the locations for the panels, etc., but where will your equipment sit?
post #107 of 413 Old 05-25-2011, 03:12 PM

I believe he is putting half racks into the big opening into the theater, below the projector shelf.

Looks great. Can't wait to see the brain of the house shape up.
post #108 of 413 Old 05-25-2011, 04:21 PM

Beautiful design, on the theater and the home.

Can't wait to see how it turns out, considering i was blown away with your previous setup!
post #109 of 413 Old 05-25-2011, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Ragu View Post

Follow up note...looking at your equipment room, where is your AV equipment going go? See all the locations for the panels, etc., but where will your equipment sit?

JTR7 is correct as the equipment racks will go in the large opening in front of the equipment room. I have 3 Chief racks that will sit in the opening.
post #110 of 413 Old 05-25-2011, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTR7 View Post

I believe he is putting half racks into the big opening into the theater, below the projector shelf.

Looks great. Can't wait to see the brain of the house shape up.

Me too, what scares me is the thought of having to hook up all those wires
post #111 of 413 Old 05-25-2011, 10:24 PM

I always find that that is my favorite part. Was a distributed sound system with components for the main TV viewing area hidden in a back closet at our summer house which I probably spend a grand total of 3 weeks at per year necessary? Probably not. But I sure liked pulling the wires from the back of the TV and the ceiling/deck speakers to the closet and hooking everything up and then admiring my makeshift rack.
post #112 of 413 Old 05-26-2011, 12:33 PM

Ahhh, makes sense. But 3??...as FusionRx has mentioned, you are def. staying true to your name. Can't wait to see the end product.
post #113 of 413 Old 06-20-2011, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

A little update on the theater. I just finished painting and laying the tile in the equipment room. I took a picture to post but it didn't come out so good so I will take another tomorrow. Today the electrician is hooking up the A/C systems on the house. The tile setters are working through the rest of the house setting tile and trim guy shows up tomorrow to start hanging doors. This friday the doors for the theater and equipment room should be delivered.....I cant wait to see them!

Although I am probably 3 or 4 weeks from installing the outlets and switches in the rest of the house we are going to go ahead and finish the electric in the equipment room this week. This way I can start messing around in the equipment room when i have time.

I wondering if any of you guys have installed LED tread lights. Here is a picture of the stairs leading to the lower seating area in the theater. I have 2 conductor wires at each tread and then installed back to the equipment room near an outlet where I can install a transformer for the low voltage. I am going to have carpet in the theater room so I thought I might find a led tread light which will act as a corner for each step.

Also, I am working on the fiber optic dome which is to be the center piece of the ceiling. They drilled holes in the fiberglass dome to install the fibers. The fibers were glued to the back of the dome. Unfortunately where they penetrate on the inside there is a hole so I am filling each hole around each fiber penetration with filler and then sanding. I know I am suppose to cut the fibers off after the final painting but does anyone know how long to leave the fibers sticking out??
post #114 of 413 Old 06-21-2011, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

I took another picture today of the media equipment room. We installed "slate" ceramic tile. The walls are a light earth tone and for now will do. Looking forward and hoping to get the a/c fired up in the next few days.....it is starting to get hot here in Florida!! Doors show up tomorrow!!

post #115 of 413 Old 06-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Nice job. Tile will keep things nice and cool too. Have it here (in swampy Minnesota) and it does a great job. Would be nice to have it heated in the winter but its really not required.
post #116 of 413 Old 06-26-2011, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

i am just now getting a chance to post the pictures of the theater doors. This past week we hung quite a few of the interior doors in the house. I was really looking forward to getting the theater doors hung. I priced a few custom doors and finally resolved to have my doors custom made by a local guy I buy my lumber from. Staying with the old world gothic theme we decided to use pecky cypress because it is already distressed. I will use a medium stain to darken up the doors. I have some pretty unique hardware I am experimenting with. Back in the late 60's my parents made there first trip overseas and one of places they visited was Spain. They brought back some armor, swords,and some battle axes and I thought I would make use of some of this artifacts we have had in our family homes over the years.

The area I am photographing here is what we call the friends foyer and there are three doors in this area........one to the garage (not pictured), one to the theater room, and one to the back door which most people who visit us will enter through. I mocked up a few ideas for the door to the theater......a big @@s door knocker, and one of the battle axes I will make brackets for and use as the door pull. The theater door is almost 3 inches thick and has the drop down threshold in the bottom and ball catches. There are 4 large hinges to hold the door in place. The back door you see is a iron door we had made for the house.

here is the door to the equipment room. it is an oval top and about 9 feet tall. I have a sword I am planning on using as the door pull........we'll make sure it is not sharp!!
post #117 of 413 Old 06-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

I think you should name your House build the IGO2XS build and the theater should be named The Armory.
post #118 of 413 Old 06-27-2011, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

I thought about picking up a full set of armor to put in the foyer. I used to have a real nice suit of armor up in Indiana but one night of partying left us setting the armor out in the woods and shooting at with some large caliber rifles. Wish I still had it because it was a little over 6 foot tall and would have been perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionRx View Post

I think you should name your House build the IGO2XS build and the theater should be named The Armory.

post #119 of 413 Old 06-27-2011, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGO2XS View Post

I used to have a real nice suit of armor up in Indiana but one night of partying left us setting the armor out in the woods and shooting at with some large caliber rifles.

I hate when that happens.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #120 of 413 Old 07-12-2011, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

I just thought I would check in. I also have friends up north who have got on AVS to keep an eye on my theater room. We got back in there today and did a few things. We removed the main theater door which is a 3 man job cause that baby is solid and 3 inches thick. We routed out the grove in the bottom of the door to install the drop down threshold. It really is a cool product my lumber supplier turned me on to before I saw it on AVS. He uses them when he builds doors for wine reserves. It just screwed into the bottom of the door after we created the channel. We will adjust the drop of the threshold once we get our floor covering in.

We also wrapped the media room columns with wire lath today. Tomorrow we will do a skim coat of stucco to make ready to cover the lower 3 feet of the 5 column's with stone. We are using alot of stone surfaces on the exterior as well as the interior of the home. I know sound panels are a preferred wall covering but I just wanted to have some decor as well. I am using stone from Eldorado stone as well as Owens Corning. These synthetic stone companies produce a high quality stone product and it really is quite beautiful. It is more money than real stone but it is configured in such a way with the sizes it fits together much easier so the labor time is quite a bit less. It still looks random and natural with much better coloring in my opinion. I will capture some pictures of the install as we go.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction