Mark's From the Ground up Cinema Build - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 410 Old 09-12-2011, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow. The 7 foot diameter looks small on the wall. Haha. Wish I could have something that large without consuming an entire room.

Everything looks good.

It's called a flail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 410 Old 09-12-2011, 04:37 PM

Wow, I'm speechless. A TON of thought has gone into every detail -- must be exhausting Doing a whole theme to a house is over-the-top, one-of-a-kind, and truly awe inspiring. Can't wait to see more pictures.
post #183 of 410 Old 09-12-2011, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTR7 View Post

Wow. The 7 foot diameter looks small on the wall.

It's called a flail.

It does look small but once we get the "wall unit" in there I think it will be fine. They put the crackle paint on today and its still drying. I will catch a picture of it tomorrow.

I hope I don't get "flailed" Thanks for the proper terminology because I am sure people will ask me.
post #184 of 410 Old 09-12-2011, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestHT View Post

Wow, I'm speechless. A TON of thought has gone into every detail -- must be exhausting Doing a whole theme to a house is over-the-top, one-of-a-kind, and truly awe inspiring. Can't wait to see more pictures.

You know it really has been alot of fun building this house. In our last home I remodeled the kitchen and the theater room 3 times each as well as doubling this size of the house.......it is a sickness I have and I need help. Everyone asks me what I am going to do when the house is done but this is when I will get really serious in the theater room. Wish me luck as I am trying to get my building final this week. I will get some more pictures up tomorrow.
post #185 of 410 Old 09-12-2011, 05:29 PM

post #186 of 410 Old 09-13-2011, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Hey Mark! I have been away for a few days and I missed a ton of good stuff here - looking really great! If you finish your house and are still suffering from your remodel "sickness," you're welcome to come to my place any time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGO2XS View Post

I am really looking forward to the Vantage lighting system. I want to share with you with one of the keypads I had engraved for the bedroom. My wife just saw it today and rolled her eyes...we will see if once we move in the house it really works

Is it safe to assume that you had that button engraved on every switch in the house?? I definitely would have.

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #187 of 410 Old 09-13-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBenji View Post

Is it safe to assume that you had that button engraved on every switch in the house?? I definitely would have.

Hahahahahaha
post #188 of 410 Old 09-13-2011, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
LMAO!! I want that at a touch of a button.
post #189 of 410 Old 09-13-2011, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBenji View Post

Hey Mark!

Your funny Ben, I could probably have this button on every switch in the house but I am not sure where it would get me. I guess I do need to figure out what the "sex" button is going to do once we get started programming. I just hope I can turn something on with it.

The carpet is coming in next week so I need to get a few things done in the theater. I am still waiting for the stone crown molding for the tops of the brick columns. I need to trim out the dome in the ceiling, cut out the side, and rear surround speakers which are all mounted in the ceiling. With the floor in the media concrete I just cant seem to get the room dust free. I know carpet should be dead last but I am breaking the rule.
post #190 of 410 Old 09-13-2011, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Your funny Ben, I could probably have this button on every switch in the house but I am not sure where it would get me. I guess I do need to figure out what the "sex" button is going to do once we get started programming. I just hope I can turn something on with it.

Spoken like a true veteran husband. I hear you, bro!

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #191 of 410 Old 09-14-2011, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

That's my new screen saver!
post #192 of 410 Old 09-14-2011, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragged View Post

That's my new screen saver!

I have a feeling of honor now thanks
post #193 of 410 Old 09-14-2011, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
What are the other 7 buttons for?
post #194 of 410 Old 09-15-2011, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

What are the other 7 buttons for?

Hey Brad, If the one button works who cares about the other 7....right?

Big news today. I got my final building inspection this afternoon.........YES. I should be able to get my Certificate of Occupancy tomorrow. I still have plenty to do but it is nice to get the county building department out of the picture.
post #195 of 410 Old 09-15-2011, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
There will be alot of BTU that will be in that room!

Congrats on the build/home...

Quote:

We had a lot of progress this past week in the theater room. We really hit the house hard too. I called in final inspections for the electric, plumbing, HVAC, and gas for Tuesday so things are happening fast. Here is a picture of the theater door taken from the inside. We used brick as our casing which turned out pretty well. The door is pecky cypress and we used a dark ebony stain from minwax which was oil base. We then sealed it with a minwax water base satin sealer. I really wanted a flat clear coat but could not find one. I have some old door hardware to put on this hopefully this next week. The void above the stone column is awaiting some large coral stone "crown molding". i know the walls are pretty light and bright. I want to assure you this is not the final color. Wall color is yet to be determined. Wife is getting involved and I think I am loosing ground as she brought it a bunch of carpet samples today. I will post some pictures of the samples tomorrow but man this is my room.

Today I made the journey from the garage to the house with the Digital Projection projector to put it in its spot. Like a rocket scientist I bought the damn thing about 5 months ago and I have yet to turn it on. Now that I have it in place I may have to fire it up. Today we installed the last two racks in the wall between the theater and the equipment room. I definitely did not allow enough tolerance for a loose easy fit. I ended up with a 8 lb sledge hammer and a 2 x 4 to move the last unit into place. These babies are built tough so I wasnt afraid to give it a few good wacks. As shown we also stained and sealed the theater door.

One thing I quickly found in my first theater room was the heat from the projector became very uncomfortable. I made sure this time to have a zoned a/c unit dedicated to the theater room and also a projector mounted outside of the room in the equipment area. Tomorrow I will install a simple attic fan thermostat at the top of the equipment room. The duct you see above the projector has an inline fan mounted in the attic. Although I have an a/c duct in the equipment room this fan will be a backup. I am thinking i will set the thermostat about 81 degrees so if the room does heat up the air is exhausted to the exterior of the house.

This past week the Vantage panels were outfitted so we could finally start using the keypads to turn on and off the lights. We have been turning lights on and off with the fuse panel. The doors for the Vantage panels are bad@@s. I hate to get excited about doors but I just think they are cool. There is more and I will keep the pics coming now the theater is starting to have some progress.

The cheese fell off my cracker a long time ago...
post #196 of 410 Old 09-16-2011, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post

There will be alot of BTU that will be in that room!

Congrats on the build/home...

Thanks Mike, what I am looking forward to most is the dedicated A/C system for the theater room. I dont like to be ungrateful about my past theater rooms but they have shared the A/C system with another part of the house and they have not had a thermostat in the room. Wife goes to bed, I have to shut the door, I would end up sweating by the end of the movie It will be nice to end a movie with a cool room.
post #197 of 410 Old 09-16-2011, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Beautiful home and theater, I need to play the lottery a bit more I think. I have an idea for your ceiling in the HT.

If I ever get the chance to build a house I want to incorporate something like this if possible and I think something like this minus the hanging light could work or at least give you some ideas.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #198 of 410 Old 09-16-2011, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

design1stcode2nd

thank you so much for this input. My wife and I looked at your picture and loved it.....awesome!!! I have some beams in our living room with straps like what are in your picture. Believe it or not they have these massive bolts in them and they look heavy duty but are fake check this out.....http://www.fauxwoodbeams.com/beams_straps.php

I had pretty much decided with some input from a AVS member to frame the fiber optic dome in a rough wood radius and apply some clavco's around the bottom of it to tie in with the theater door. We have these unbelievable faux painters working in the house that could make the arched beams I have look like wood.

I think you are on to something.
post #199 of 410 Old 09-16-2011, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Here is how the faux painting ended up on the frame around the stain glass window in the living room. It is a pretty heavy crackle finish and extra antiquing but the bottom of the frame is 13 feet off the ground so it needed to be visible. These faux guys are pretty good and I know they can do something killer on the arches in the media. design1stcode2nd's idea has my head spinning with ideas

post #200 of 410 Old 09-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Glad to help in my small way. I love this build.

Play like a Raven

post #201 of 410 Old 09-17-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Send those faux painters to my house please. WOW!! That looks amazing, Mark.

post #202 of 410 Old 09-17-2011, 07:36 PM

That's fantastic architecture...what place/palace is that?

[/quote]

Mike
Started the build...Theater With A View
post #203 of 410 Old 09-18-2011, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

[quote=misugrad;20964491]That's fantastic architecture...what place/palace is that?

I am not sure, design1stcode2nd shared it with me. If he is reading this maybe he will answer your question. I am going to try to work this in my design in a scaled down version if possible.
post #204 of 410 Old 09-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misugrad View Post

That's fantastic architecture...what place/palace is that?

It's from a local builder of custom homes, Visnic Homes is the companies' name. The DC suburbs have some fantastic homes/estates.

If you follow this link: http://www.visnichomes.com/custom_homes_portfolio.html

and then select "Celtic Castle" (flash site) you can see a few photos of the home.

Play like a Raven

post #205 of 410 Old 09-19-2011, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Today they delivered the cast stone we will use as trim around the top of our stone columns.......in media room and the entry foyer to the house. It is basically concrete crown molding. They cast these pieces individually to fit each application. We will dowel them into place and use Versa Bond to attach them.....later we will grout them into place. I will get some install pictures this week. Yes that is a lion head on the top. It does relate to the theater room and I will get back to this later.

Here is another project we are working on in the house. We wanted to create a Tuscan village scene in the living room. the door you see does not go anywhere but trying to make it look like a two story house. The balcony is covering a large a/c linear diffuser. We disguised it with brick, pecky cypress and we have railing built to go around it to create the balcony. We build the a/c duct covers out of aluminum and they will get powder coated a dark brown or black. The blue tape you see on the wall outlines where brick will be installed.........we will be doing some of this in the media room....it is called brick over plaster. The side of the wall will look like plaster is falling off the wall with brick behind it.

post #206 of 410 Old 09-19-2011, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
OMG, your place is looking sick, nice work!

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #207 of 410 Old 09-19-2011, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

OMG, your place is looking sick, nice work!

thank you, we are working pretty hard at it. All the fun work is just starting to happen.
post #208 of 410 Old 09-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
You have one of the coolest houses I've ever seen. Keep up the creativity, you're doing an awesome job!
post #209 of 410 Old 09-20-2011, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

That is one cool door and stained glass window Mark! Kitchen looks great too!

post #210 of 410 Old 09-26-2011, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

I had a little progress this weekend. Pulled out the Genelec AIW26's to install for my rears and sides. I was able to cut in the rears and one pair of the sides today. I have a good buddy of my trying to get me to install two pairs of sides. I think I am going to hold off on the second pair until I get the theater up and running.

I will mount the grills tomorrow but this a shot of one of the rear speakers.

I had a guy turn me on to a Dremel Tool I bought at Home Depot and it is pretty handy. Not as dusty as using a drywall knife and cuts a nice hole. My other favorite tool pictured is my label machine. With all of my network cables and such this has been a very handy gadget. I buy the 1 inch wide super adhesive tape and print a description of the cable which repeats all the way around the label.

There are a couple of things going on in this picture. If you look at the top of the stone pillar you can see we started installing the stone crown molding. The stone really finishes off the top of the pillars. I have also been trying to figure out my step lighting. I really did not want to use the traditional box and have been checking out some of the LED bull nose channel I have seen in movie theaters. I already had quite of few of the 1" round led lights I showed earlier in the thread so I decided to make them work. We drilled holes in the concrete steps in the theater so I would have room to tuck the wires in.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page