The "Prairie Wasteland" theater construction thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 10-04-2010, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Greetings all. I've been lurking for a little over a year and have finally become motivated enough to start a thread. I think this is my first post so it'll be a few posts before I can include any pictures but to this point I've mostly been doing framing and wiring anyway so it is rather boring. But I feel I'm at the point where it will probably keep going through the long, cold, dark winter months and I could use some feedback.

If at any point in my thread you hear yourself saying "he has no clue", well, you're likely bang on. I'm flying by the seat of my pants and really have no great clue.

The "room" is in the basement of our four year old house and I've already got advice for others:

1. Pay for the 9 foot ceiling
2. Pay whatever it takes to get rid of the frackin' teleposts.

Needless to say I wasn't that bright so I have a low ceiling (about 7'6" in most areas but down to 6'6" under the HVAC and beams) and while one of the teleposts has been sort of taken out of the way by the construction of an office, the other two are hideously in the way and very, very, VERY annoying.

I'm not at this point certain if it'll be a dedicated home theater though I doubt it makes sense with the room set up the way it is. I could seal off a section of the basement and do the whole nine yards by closing off a room but with a ten year old daughter in the house that ain't happening. So it likely will end up being a rec room/bar/theater set up (yeah, I'll lock the cabinet on the bar for the next 15 years).

When I'm able to post pictures, I'll put up a google sketchup drawing and seek some feedback (still working through some tutorials on sketchup). Broadly the room's overall dimensions are 18 feet by about 23 feet or so. Due to the construction of the walls containing the stairs and utility room there's an 18 inch jog at one point and a space that's about 8' x 8' at the back that leads to the bathroom in a back corner of the house. The wall construction has been mostly dictated by some bizarre aspects from the house's overall construction as we need to dodge around some pipes, ducts and other stuff. Essentially the room is divided in two by the two teleposts so one section is about 10' x 18' and the other is about 13' x 18' with the 8' x8' space at the back of that. Essentially I think by necessity we've butchered the acoustics of the room and to that end I've got questions about whether certain things will even be worthwhile.

I have virtually no equipment for downstairs at this point save a pair of Boston DSi 265 in-ceiling speakers that'll go wherever the theater side doesn't. Otherwise I've allowed for space for a Middle Atlantic or similar rack built into a wall with access from the utility room. I've discovered and ordered from Monoprice.com and have my speaker wire and some other stuff in hand to install prior to drywall and ceiling going in.

Most of the lighting is in place (using 50W Par20 lights for most locations) and I have two four gang boxes for switches but only three slots alotted at this time, so I've room to add another set of lights to each box. Contemplating a Grafik Eye setup but may just go with a simpler Lutron remote dimmer and program that into a Harmony or use the included remote.

Yes, I've read and bookmarked the "Dark Knight Theater" thread (yikes, I can't post URLs yet either) but will still have questions and will be seeking suggestions. I've also been downloading peoples pictures from their threads of ideas I like. I'll do my utmost to credit them when I make use of them here and one idea even appealed to my wife. Someone (I'll find the name) built their AV setup in behind a swinging pillar and I intend to try and copy it to use as an extremely large but decorative door to cover the electrical box in the basement. Hey, if the wife approves, how do you argue.

That should do for now; I'll add more later to get my post counts up so I can start posting pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-04-2010, 07:32 PM

Liked: 10
Morgbug - congrats on starting the thread for your official build! Sounds like a great project. You will get a lot of good feedback from the crew around here once you post the floorplan.

It will be a great, and sometimes very time consuming, adventure.

Robert
post #3 of 25 Old 10-05-2010, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks kindly Robert. Sounds like the 'theater' portion of the basement will be a smallish build similar to your first one in dimensions. The other half of the room will be about the same size.

Our current house actually has 5.1 sound in the family room so I'm not terribly dying in that sense but I am running an old Pioneer amp still. I just upgraded the DVD player to a Panasonic BD-65 so at least there's that. Old Boston Acoustics System 8000 speakers in there too. It's nice considering the whole half of the house is open with the eating area and kitchen essentially continuous along the back half of the house.
post #4 of 25 Old 10-09-2010, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Let's see if this can work.

Just a simple schematic at this point with dimensions; room in upper right is office space, bottom left is future washroom. The space at the bottom is the utility room/storage space though not closed in in the sketchup diagram it is in reality.

Intention for screen to be along wall along the top. Distance from that wall to the wall at the back is roughly 17-18'. The small squares are the teleposts that are currently exaggerated. So I'm trying to decide whether to put the screen on the left that is a little wider (13'6") or the right (11'). Functionally the depth remains that 17'-18' though there's the open 7' x 8' space behind the left side that I think will suck up sound.

As mentioned above, the jogs in the wall placements are dictated by stairs, drains, etc. Just left of the two teleposts at the ceiling are a major joist and the hvac ducting so that drops the ceiling by a foot anyway, separating the two halves.

Going on the right side allows me more room for a pool table on the left. I'll shoot some pictures and get better at sketchup plus do up some lighting diagrams as well.
post #5 of 25 Old 10-11-2010, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, now for some pictures. Just before that though I've come to the realization that this isn't ultimately a dedicated home theater, I'll ask if the mods can drop this down one section because this will end up being a rec room/theater thread (sorry for causing extra work).

Alright, any references I make will be to the same diagram posted before, so I'll repost it in this thread to start off:

Now, be forewarned, the basement is messy. We had three of four parents pass away in the last eight years so we've got a lot of stuff, furniture, boxes that we simply cannot decide what to do with yet. For example, hidden in the mess is my parent's old console stereo which was at one point state of the art in a beautiful wood cabinet and now is mostly useless it would seem. I have very fond memories of listening to Boston's two early albums on it so loud the bass would make the needle skip.

So first photo is a general look into the main area from about the base of the stairs. You can see all three teleposts in the photo, one in the right foreground and then the other two essentially splitting the room.

Here's the right side (below), where I'm thinking currently of putting the screen against the wall you see at the back with the insulation and tuck tape. You can see the electrical box in the far right corner and I intend to build a swinging cover for that. I'm hoping to style it like a pillar and build a second, non-opening one on the left side to complement it. The screen would then end up in between and I think would be able to be a maximum of about 100 or so inches (i'll double check the measurement once the pillars are in) so not the largest of screens but it would do. This section is 11' wide by 18' long. I think I could get two rows of seats in there, with the second set on a riser.

The back of the room is a wall against the stairs and is 7'10" long that comes to an 18" jog and then continues on behind the other side of the room and is also 7'10" long. A fourth telepost is already buried in that wall.

The left side is wider, but shorter. It is 13'6" wide by 16'6" deep, though has half the back wall open as it leads to the area that'll hold the "bar" in whatever design it ends up and leads to the bathroom at the back (6'6" x 8'). So while it's a little wider I wonder if the sound wouldn't be better on the right side (or does it matter anyway with this huge open area?).

The dark rectangle is a temporary curtain over the one window in this area of the basement.

And since someone will ask, why all the tuck tape? When the house was built they told us the basement exterior would be insulated. It was supposed to be done with 2 x 3's according to them but we upgraded to 2 x 4's so that was good. But we (foolishly) assumed they'd at least include electrical outlets. Nope. You learn a lot building a house and regret even more.

Anyway here's a view of the back of that left hand section. You can see the sort of cavernous gap at the back beside where the wall ends. It's about 8' wide by about 13'6" deep and will house the bathroom at the back.

The section of wall there is also 7'10" wide and I've allowed a 24" space (where you see Vader in the picture below) to put in a component rack at the back of the room. I'm hoping for a Middle Atlantic rack or something like it, but being in Canada I'm a little concerned on the pricing given I could hop down to Minneapolis and save some coin. My other switch box is in that end of the wall and I have three of four slots alotted in that space.

I have a major issue with the hvac and central beam running down the middle of the room. It ends up being about 4-4.5' wide and the ceiling will obviously drop considerably here. It'll be a drop ceiling in this area too and in the left and right sides I'm planning on doing a drop ceiling and will build a box around each area so that the ceiling is higher in the middle area. Under the ducting it'll be about 6'3" clearance and will be about 7', maybe a bit more, in the other areas. (yeah, do a nine foot ceiling when you build - next house)

The lighting, as mentioned in my first post, is comprised of Par20 50 watt bulbs. I like these better than halogens because they give off a nice light with less heat. Most importantly though they are line voltage so I can use standard dimmers and they won't be affected when the incandescent ban comes into play in 2012 (or is it 2011). I'll have four rows of five lights across each section so there'll be plenty of light there. The little back section near the bathroom will have four more of them as well.

So the questions that come to mind are:

1. Right side or left side for the screen? Right side leaves more room on left for larger pool table.

2. How much soundproofing, bass trapping is necessary? Is it worthwhile in this room given the odd dimensions and open areas that may operate as sinks for sound?

3. Where else would you put lights and what kind?
post #6 of 25 Old 10-11-2010, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Oh and to show you what I meant by "pillars to hide the electrical box, I want to do what BIGmouthinDC did with his audio rack, but just for the electrical box itself and have a twin on the other side that's not functional.

From the "Show me your rack" thread, here's his post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

My Wife said she didn't want to look at equipment.

post #7 of 25 Old 10-12-2010, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgbug View Post

I have very fond memories of listening to Boston's two early albums on it so loud the bass would make the needle skip.

Funny, that comment caught my eye. As I was hitting my peak/running amok in the early 80's, Boston, Foreigner, Styx, Pink Floyd, Queen, Kansas (just to name a few) were what was happening. With my build just about complete, I'm finding myself sifting through all my dust covered CD's and just getting totally IMMERSED in an indescribable audio experience with a lot of music that I "fondly remember" as well. I've never had an environment like this for audio (or video). I think I've listened to Boston (spaceship cover) at least 3 times start to finish over the last week or two, and just ordered 4 Kansas CD's (that escaped my collection over time) from Amazon. Being able to crank things up to around 70dB with the wife sleeping directly above is priceless.

Anyway, just thought I'd share as some inspiration for you with your build
Good luck.
post #8 of 25 Old 10-13-2010, 07:34 AM

Liked: 10
morgbug, Looks like you have a great space to work with. I feel your pain with the ceiling height. Mine is pretty low, just over 6 feet at the lowest point, and just over 7 at the highest.

One piece of advice I can give is to get all of the stuff out of your basement before you start. Even if you have to rent a storage space for a few months (or years depending on if you work at Hanes' pace). I had a ton of junk in my basement and just tried to work around it. I probably added 30-50% extra time on my build just having to work around everything. Between stumbling over stuff and having to move things back and forth, not to mention everything getting covered with drywall dust, I wish I had just moved everything out.

Concerning your room, my opinion is that I would put the theater along the left wall. I have no scientific nor engineering reason for it, it just seems like the natural place to me. Hopefully some more knowledgeable people will chime in, because it could be the absolute worst spot according to someone with actual knowledge.

Thinking about your two columns, you could build a half wall that goes from the wall at the top of you sketch that envelopes the two columns, and then just build a surround around the columns where the wall doesn't cover. This could serve multiple purposes. One, it would still give the room an open feel but give some separation. Two, it would give you somewhere to set down your beer while playing pool (and the half wall would still give you full cue motion versus a full wall). An three, you could possibly incorporate your surround speaker into the column furthest away from the front wall and do matching columns on the left wall.

Just some thoughts, please take them with a grain of salt.
post #9 of 25 Old 10-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Beautiful design... very tastful, keep up the good work.
post #10 of 25 Old 11-07-2010, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

So I think I've decided to put the theater side on the right in the diagram above. That means the section that's roughly 11x18. Primary reason is the other side is larger and will more easily allow for the future pool table to fit better along with the massive air hockey table already present.

That said, I'm thinking about in wall speakers. The wall they'd sit on is only constructed with 2 x 4's. I don't mind building a false wall to put the speakers on but can anyone make any recommendations or point me to a thread dealing with that specifically?
post #11 of 25 Old 11-12-2010, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Or not thinking about in wall speakers. Given the posts/pillars I want on the front wall, after doing some measuring I'm leaning towards not doing that.

Plus after skulking around the speaker forum I found a link for these: http://www.buy.com/prod/boston-acous...210399739.html

Any thoughts on dropping five or seven of these in that space?

Also digging around the Bostonacoustics.com refurbished sales I'm thinking of putting a couple more in-ceiling speakers on the other side.
post #12 of 25 Old 01-20-2011, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I've done some more work - framing, running some speaker wire, Cat 6 and sub cables through some 3/4" Carlon tubing. I'm close to finishing the framing necessary for the drop ceiling and the lighting is mostly done.

At this point I'd really appreciate some help with deciding where and how to put in some bass traps. If you look above you'll see the theater half of the basement is about 11 x 17 and I'll have what amounts to a cove ceiling in between the frames as you can see in the picture. I will build a stage. On the right side is the electrical box that will be framed in much the same was as BigmouthinDC's equipment rack is in the pictures a couple of posts above. I can build a similar "pillar" on the left side to frame in the screen area and make it entirely a base trap. Or I can put material up near the ceiling (there is fiberglass insulation up there already and will be air space for the drop ceiling that will help with sound transmission). But where, how much, constructed of what, etc. should the base trap material go, be, etc.

The picture below is taken from the back of the room:
post #13 of 25 Old 01-23-2011, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, guess I'll start a separate thread asking about the bass traps. Obviously the title of this thread isn't inspiring participation. That's what you get when you try to be creative and fail I guess.

I'll post a few updates under separate post. Today was actually kind of productive, so that was pleasant. First update is Carlon or smurf tubing that I used to run speaker wire, Cat6 wire and Sub cables.

Biggest I could find was 3/4" at Home Depot so that's what I used. I tried to cram three speaker wires and a sub cable through but it was just a little too tight over a 20 foot run of the stuff. That diameter will happily take two speaker wires and a sub cable but not all four. Two Cat6 lines ran through real nice as well.

So I ran four different tubes. One along the left side of the room carried the left rear and rear surround speaker cables plus the front sub cable. I simply left a gap where I'd have joined two pieces of Carlon for the length of run I'd otherwise do. I thought about cutting an exit hole but figured that might leave a sharp edge so why bother.

For the other side of the room (right rear and right rear surround) I ran two speaker wires and a second sub cable for the back of the room. I don't know if I'm running two subs when the room is done, but I figured since 7.2 is becoming more common I might as well run the cable before I put up the ceiling and the rear of the room seemed the most reasonable place to put it.

The front three speakers and the Cat6 cables were run the length of the room (equipment rack is at the back) and dump out at the front. Without really thinking about it they ended right above a light that'll be over the screen, so I'll be insulating that area.

A side view here above the box for the halogen light:

The tubes dump out into the part of the utility room that'll house the equipment (it'll be cooler in there) and I do need to tidy it up a bit, but for now it's just the tubes coming into empty space.

I think I might run another length of tube down the side and another down the middle and just leave them empty. I'll also probably put a run in to where I want to put up a projector (large flat panel will be there first) but I'll have to think a bit about that, also consider screen size and location of projector support as well first.
post #14 of 25 Old 01-23-2011, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Sadly when we built the house we weren't informed (and also failed to research) that you could put in a steel beam for about $1000 and you'd have no teleposts in the basement. That's the item I most regret not purchasing when we built, so I have had to come up with a way to build around the teleposts. We've managed to bury a couple in the utility room and another couple in the walls around the stairs but that left three.

Two are on one side of the room and will provide some separation from the theater side of the room from the "rec room" side (pool table hopefully, air hockey table and probably a bar). The other is on the opposite side of the theater and pretty close to a wall of the adjacent room in the basement. It's a little inconvenient but I figured I could mount the rear speaker on there and also run a subwoofer cable there because that might end up being a good place to put the second sub as it's toward the rear of the room.

So I decided to build a frame for the posts. If I'd thought about it clearly, I'd probably have used 2 x 8 lumber but grabbed 2x6 when I was at the lumberyard. So I put those up and ended up with pillar that'll be roughly 6x8".

Since that ended up being pretty close internally around the pillar I thought I'd brace it. On one side I just used 2x4 cut wood and that was fine. On the opposite side though I couldn't fit any width of lumber really so I used metal strapping. Because I was worried about vibrations (from the subs) I put some foam stripping in against the beam so that it was cushioned. I'm hoping that's enough to eliminate it.

Not sure if I should turn these into base traps or not (I worry about them being echo chambers sort of). I am going to mount the rear left and right speakers on the pillars though, they just seem to be a convenient distance back in the room for that (about 11-12 feet of a total 17 feet and I need to leave at least 3 feet at the back for a passageway).
post #15 of 25 Old 01-23-2011, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

If you look back up in my early posts I mentioned I wanted to do something for my electrical box like BigmouthinDC did for his equipment rack. I'm still leaning that way and made some progress on this as well.

Beside the electrical box I needed to reinforce the wall where I'll attach the "post" or "pillar" because it just didn't seem solid enough to support a large swinging door. So I had to cut through the vapor barrier and remove some insulation to get some more lumber back there.

Once I got that done I reinstalled the insulation and used tuck tape to close up the poly. Then I lined up a 2x4 with the perimeter board of the soffit area so it will look tidy and put about two dozen screws into that one.

Once that was done, I had to think a bit about how I was going to construct the wall and the measurements necessary. Obviously the support part would simply be a "box" but I had to figure out what the dimensions of that were. So I just used cut ends to visualize the pattern of the lumber and then determine the measurements from that:

So that worked and I had to do the calculations so the finished "door" would match up with the front soffit for consistency.

Once I had that, I could easily construct the support wall for the swinging part.

I stopped at that point because I need to drywall first and then put in the DriCore sub-floor so that I can get an accurate height for the door allowing for a caster wheel underneath for smooth movement. I'll probably have to wait until I get the drop ceiling and lights mounted up as well so that doesn't interfere with movement either.

I need to anchor the short wall to the floor yet and find a decent sized piano hinge which ain't obvious at Home Depot or Rona, so if anyone knows a good source for piano hinges (2x4 wall size) I'd love to know. Also looking for good recommendations for decent quality casters or alternatives to caster wheels. Also wondering if I should make that wall something of a base trap? And finally for my own sake I'll make the comment about making sure the stage doesn't interfere with the movement of the finished door!
post #16 of 25 Old 05-25-2011, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it's been a long time since I posted in here but I've been trundling along, ever so slowly. I suspect it'll take me a couple of posts to update all I've done so please don't think me insane for multiple consecutive posts (too late for that perhaps).

I finished up several items and made progress on a few more:

- stair lights are in
- finished up most of the wiring
- did some soundproofing/bass trapping construction
- dry wall has begun

So starting with the stairs....I wanted something a little different and decided to go with LED stair lights. Pricey little buggers but they give it a nice sophisticated light. I don't have much other light planned other than at the base of the stairs, so it's seemingly going to be a an undecorated, subtle place.

Three lights, one for each four stairs.

Close up of single light:

Then the wiring at the back of the wall, with a little bit of insulation in place.

I ended up using the Roxul stuff because it ended up being cheaper than pink insulation. I know the pink has a bit better sound absorption but price dictated for this one and the supposed added fire protection had some small appeal as well. Interestingly I found this stuff way more itchy than pink fiberglass.

The room in the schematic diagram I posted also got the sound proofing treatment as you can see here by the door to the room. It runs along the right side of where the theater will be and it seemed it would just end up being a really large echo chamber, so I figured I'd best do something there and tucked the Roxul in along the full length.

We're still deciding between Dri-Core and Barricade for the rest of the basement. The room done and the foyer at the bottom of the stairs are already Dri-Core. I'm sure the Barricade is warmer but it doesn't seem as though any water would flow if it got underneath. Plus it's a 1/4 inch or so higher than the dricore, though I'm sure the carpeting guys can easily smooth out that difference.

Will hopefully post more tomorrow as lots of other work has happened (thank you rainy weekends).
post #17 of 25 Old 05-26-2011, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Copying a post from another thread that will remind me of what I'm doing and what I don't need to do. Be realistic because it will be a drop ceiling scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post
Yes, YMMV and everyone has different needs and building structures. Not everyone needs or wants significant sound isolation.

As a general rule, if you are needing/wanting to use a dropped ceiling, please don't waste your time and funds on soundproofing materials on the walls or above the tiles. Insulation is fine, obviously (R19) but I'd encourage you to say "no thanks" when considering MLV squares up on top of the tiles, etc.

The lack of isolation in the ceiling will forever define the system despite what you do to walls, doors and ventilation.

Thanks Ted.
post #18 of 25 Old 06-05-2011, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Still more pictures to post, just no time. But I'm pretty ecstatic this week. I picked up season tickets for Winnipeg's new NHL team that sold out in only a few minutes. But more on topic I picked up an audio rack.

I opted for a Middle Atlantic Slim 5-37. I don't have any components at all for the basement at this time so wasn't sure what rack to buy. I figured a 37 space would be plenty big (I hope) and should fit nicely into the space I have for it in the wall.

Any suggestions or instructions of how to properly build it into the wall would be most welcome.
post #19 of 25 Old 11-23-2011, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I really haven't done much since June, so no pictures to post. Summer was just too darn nice and then the excitement of having the Winnipeg Jets back playing hockey in town has been a major distraction.

Have a guy coming in to give an estimate for drywall taping/mudding on the weekend, so may start moving forward again soon enough.

But I did make some progress on my basement setup in the sense that I picked up some speakers. I found an unbelievable deal from Vanns.com and picked up a 5.1 system comprised of the following:

Boston Acoustics
VS 336 pair
VS 260 pair
VS 325C
VPS 210 sub

Those retail here in Canada for a little over $9000 after taxes. I paid $1995 for the lot shipped to a buddy in Minneapolis (Vanns won't ship to Canada). It's pretty weird and it seems like it might have been the only set at that price as the same bundle is now up to $2499 which is still a great price but I'm liking the extra $500 savings even more.

Happy Thanksgiving my American friends.
post #20 of 25 Old 03-14-2014, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, nothing for over two years....

Does that surpass being "Logan'd"? One would think so.

Turns out I've been doing some stuff so let's get this rolling again...

So actually got the drywall done for most of the basement outside of the bathroom and have been puttering around. Decided, after the drywall went up, that I wanted to add a shelf to frame the TV area to give it more balance. This should have been done prior to the drywall but I'm not that bright so it went up after, meaning more dust and more sanding, all over again. The shelf that was added is to the left in the photo below:

You can see on the right side we did a little boxing in of the electrical box as well. That was always the plan but we got that done at the same time as the shelf, so all is well. Not clear in the photo is to the left I built a stand to put the subwoofer onto. It's not big in the sense of a classical stage set-up, but it's 150 pounds of sand under there, so I'm hoping it works out. It looks like this:

The door area covering the electrical on the right looks like this:

The audio rack on the other side of the room (Middle Atlantic Slim 37) is shown here and you get a general idea of the color scheme - blue and grey, though the blue isn't finished yet obviously:

For the TV wall I decided to go all dark blue versus the blue and grey scheme for the rest of the room. Same for the shelf to the left, all blue and I'll trim it out with some white when the rest of the trim is done as well. It just seemed like the blue would work better for viewing. Got the plates on for the outlets and it looks as thus:

Then managed to throw up the Sanus wall mount rack. I know it looks like it's not level, but it is. The two outlets immediately below it are slightly offset in terms of height, so it makes it look wonky. That's my fault, but it will work out. The TV (Sharp 80" should go up tomorrow.

In addition to the speakers mentioned above, I've added a Yamaha RXA-2030 (intent was for a 1030 but a local retailer had a sale on the 2030 that was cheaper than the 1030 so....) and an Oppo BDP 103. I don't foresee the speakers being fully operational until after the carpet is in and the rest of the basement is done but these will look good in the rack nonetheless.
post #21 of 25 Old 03-15-2014, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
NOTHING surpasses being LOGANED, my friend. When you get to eight years we'll talk.

You just never know where or when I'll show up.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #22 of 25 Old 03-15-2014, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

NOTHING surpasses being LOGANED, my friend. When you get to eight years we'll talk.

You just never know where or when I'll show up.

Well that's a wee bit of an honor. Thanks for dropping by.

More pics, hopefully tomorrow.
post #23 of 25 Old 03-17-2014, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Small update. Got the TV up on the wall - little guy - Sharp 80". Busy getting the rest of the A/V stuff setup and still painting but thought I'd add this:

post #24 of 25 Old 03-24-2014, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

A few pictures to post. Mostly just getting some painting finalized right now, so little in the way of construction.

To give a good idea of the paint scheme, the image below shows the blue/gray scheme. It will be broken up by a chair rail that will be white, so the strip in between gives a reasonable approximation of what it will look like:

Also have a little more work done with the speakers. Not final cable for hookup, but just wanted to get a look at it and give a little listen to make certain the connections were working.

Got the sub in place as well, though I don't have my screens built so it's still completely visible and I need to tidy up some wiring underneath the shelving unit:

The whole point of the shelf was to display my Sideshow Premium format figures. You can see the positioning relative to the Sub, so I'm sure this won't work as well as I thought it initially would.

But it looks cool with the LED's lit up and the light-sabers lit up. Looks even better in a dark room:

Finally, not up yet, but something I'll very happily hang on a wall when the space allotted to it is done...Number 4, Bobby Orr:

post #25 of 25 Old 04-17-2014, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

So I think I have all my equipment now. I suppose I should have left a blank post to list it all at the start, but here will have to do:

Television: Sharp 80"
Receiver: Yamaha RX-A2030
Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP-103
PVR: Motorola

Left/Right: Boston Acoustics VS 336
Center: Boston Acoustics VS 325C
Rears: Boston Acoustics VS 260
Front/Rear Surrounds: Monitor Audio CPC120 (4 units)

Plus XBox 360/Wii

Should have some more pictures done this weekend.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page