AVS Forum banner

Home Theater Demo Disc - Version 2.0

228K views 2K replies 310 participants last post by  shftup 
#1 ·
Post Deleted

#429 ·
Yeah, although the torrent occasionally says there's 1.x availability (currently around 1.586), there really is only 0.586 availability since Steve is seeding to only one place to keep his upload fast.

It'll still take another couple days I think before it's fully available. By that time, people who started torrenting early will have the whole thing, but also, there will be a huge number of seeders and it'll start downloading a LOT faster.

#432 ·
No, the seeds are there and fine. I see all 3 of them.

1) My house

2) My office

3) The AVS seeder

Not everyone is going to be connected to a seed at all times. No worries.

#434 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla /forum/post/20837324

But why
I am done downloading 48%. I want to download it ASAP so that I can test it out.

You are going to be done with it when everyone else is. I can only upload so fast. You don't get it all from the seeds. Read the long post above that explains how torrents work. The majority you are going to download will be from other peers. At most, you might download a few percentage points from me directly but the rest from other peers (and when those peers complete they become seeders).

Between my two personal seeds I'm only capable of sending out about 200kBytes/s (1.6Mbit).

#435 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla /forum/post/20837324

But why
I am done downloading 48%. I want to download it ASAP so that I can test it out.

Read post #426 , just a few up. Then put on your thinking cap.

(or perhaps reverse that, and put on the thinking cap before you read the post!)

That's why. We ALL want it now! But until Verizon gets around to deploying FIOS to every house in the country, some people have slower upload times than others... and it turns out it just plain takes a long time to upload 46gb with a normal DSL line!

The torrent first went live on 8/15, but there was a problem, so really 8/16 (in the afternoon). So by this afternoon (8/18, Thursday), it will only have been truly live for 2 days, and we're already at about 60% available. At an upload rate 30% per day, we should be at 90% sometime tomorrow (Friday) afternoon and it should be fully available by sometime Saturday morning, I'd guess... maybe sooner if we're lucky, but that's what I would bank on.

Anyone joining in the torrent Saturday afternoon, Sunday, or perhaps better still Monday, their download speeds are going to FLY all the way to completion. It's only the early adopters who have to suffer through the initial download slowness (and anyone who comes too late to the party, like the people who were still trying to download the v1 disc over the past couple of weeks, with so few participants remaining).

#436 ·
Thanks for doing this Steve, really looking forward to the new disc. Any timeline for when you are going to start mailing out purchased copies?

#438 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering /forum/post/20837600

Thanks for doing this Steve, really looking forward to the new disc. Any timeline for when you are going to start mailing out purchased copies?

+1 for that!! I have no burner and would love to purchase a copy!! Kudos to one of the best ways to really demo your system!!!

#439 ·
Just wanted to say thank you for making another disc for us to enjoy and show off our theaters. I have yet to invest in a bluray burner as dual layer blurays are still too expensive (artificial held up to keep them that way). So I purchased the disk as I feel you deserve a little for your time and effort.

Thanks again!

#440 ·
I am at 62.25% complete and counting, so it is definately still working.

However, my downloading speed just dropped down to slow speed so it will take anotehr 2 days to complete.

That said, I know it will pick back up again at some point, so it will be much sooner than that.

Right now I have to limit my upload to only 600k, else my download takes hit...once I have it all downloaded I will change the upload to unlimited again.

#441 ·
Someone needs to post this to the newsgroups, then once its posted there is no waiting for anyone, you can download it at your max connection speed....

#442 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsj /forum/post/0

Someone needs to post this to the newsgroups, then once its posted there is no waiting for anyone, you can download it at your max connection speed....

Right but it would take a week for me to upload it there so it doesnt save any time, in fact its slower because at least now i have 3 seeds doing the upload work simultaneously. Then and only then could people start the download.

Once there are a few copies out there this will be at a max connection as well.

#443 ·
I am on a superfast connection, and would love to upload it to the newsgroups once I get it. But I started to download it through torrents and I was only downloading at 150k, I let it go for a few hours today, and still only downloading at that, but I am uploading at 2500k.... I have a 50mbps connection up and down, and could have it posted to the newsgroups in about 4 hours once i get it...

#447 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailinator /forum/post/20836713

Still at 47%... along with all of my peers. Did the seed go down last night?

Was still stuck at 47% with a whole bunch of peers. Turns out I had the wrong torrent. Downloaded the new one and now I'm off and running. That was a waste of 20GB!

Anyone else stuck at 47%, you may have the old torrent, too.

#448 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailinator /forum/post/20839784

Was still stuck at 47% with a whole bunch of peers. Turns out I had the wrong torrent. Downloaded the new one and now I'm off and running. That was a waste of 20GB!

No, just wasted time. Unless you deleted it, your old file (which is still good) was "checked" rather than redownloaded.

#449 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailinator /forum/post/20839784

Anyone else stuck at 47%, you may have the old torrent, too.

Glad I checked the thread. I was stuck at 47.4% and no moving.

#450 ·
I am at almost 72%!!!!!

Thanks for this Steve!,,,,

#451 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365
The Transformers2 clip is updated from v1.0 to the better IMAX disc for the forrest sequence.
Steve, I hope you could tell the difference in the VQ between the "Big Screen" edition that I sent you way back when, vs. the non-IMAX scene that you had on v1.0. I now feel like I had a tiny, tiny, tiny part of helping create Version 2.0!!

I just checked the thread to see about the progress (haven't been here in a few weeks but subscribed a while ago), and very happy to see this is now available for downloading!! I'm currently downloading @ 2.4% done (Tom Petty: "Waaaaiting is the hardest part"), and will gladly continue seeding well after I'm done.

Thanks again for all your time in putting this together for everyone! If you ever run for office, I'll move to your area so I can vote for you!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.