AVS Forum banner

Home Theater Demo Disc - Version 2.0

228K views 2K replies 310 participants last post by  shftup 
#1 ·
Post Deleted

#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcaster /forum/post/19641914

Actually, it's not that hard and the programs to accomplish it are free.

Here's one of many guides on how to do it : http://www.ehow.com/how_5136235_conv...d-blu-ray.html

I'm sure it's not hard, nor would the software be expensive, but I believe one needs an HD-DVD drive, which is the equipment that I was referring to.

#28 ·
Ah, OK...I have an LG Dive that plays HD DVD's as well, and keep forgetting that not all drives do. However if he were to send you the appropriate EVO file, then a BD only drive would suffice , for playback on disc. Of course, all this couod be done on your HDD without the need for a drive.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcaster /forum/post/19642073

Ah, OK...I have an LG Dive that plays HD DVD's as well, and keep forgetting that not all drives do. However if he were to send you the appropriate EVO file, then a BD only drive would suffice , for playback on disc. Of course, all this couod be done on your HDD without the need for a drive.

I could, of course, send the disc to YOU (and wouldn't mind, if you like). I have a player, not a drive, and (mostly) Macs, which, of course, don't understand HD/BD at all (but don't get me started on THAT).

Unless, of course, there's no other interest in this file, in which case this is moot.

Let us know folks - worth the effort?

(I think it is.)

Michael

#30 ·
Steve,

Thanks for starting on V2. Was wondering if would be possible to add War of the Worlds the pod emerging scene in Ch 5 to the LFE section of the disc. I know on DVD it makes me grin from ear to ear with the workout the sub gets, haven't heard on BR but imagine none the worse for wear with HD soundtrack. Noticed it wasn't on the list when I voted so if really don't want to muddy the waters with new stuff I understand. Thanks,

Greg

#31 ·
Just voted, also about to order ver1 since I assume ver2 will take a while to master and make so I'll order that as well when it's done.

Thanks for making it 'polled' really ends up with a community driven disc!

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast /forum/post/0

I could, of course, send the disc to YOU (and wouldn't mind, if you like). I have a player, not a drive, and (mostly) Macs, which, of course, don't understand HD/BD at all (but don't get me started on THAT).

Unless, of course, there's no other interest in this file, in which case this is moot.

(I think it is.)

Michael

You can back up/rip BD on a Mac. Google MakeMKV. Most LG drive will work on a Mac for this as well.

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmove /forum/post/19644761

You can back up/rip BD on a Mac. Google MakeMKV. Most LG drive will work on a Mac for this as well.

For which, of course, I'd need an LG drive. Easier and cheaper for me to mail the disc to someone willing to do it who doesn't already have the disc.

If, as I say, there's any call for it.

Thanks for the info, though. Turns out there's a forum right here (not that that comes as a surprise to anyone):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1164508

#34 ·
Now that we have some of the year end distractions out of the way, Volume/Version 2 should be showing some progress...

Music/Musical

CHICAGO - Cell Block Tango 7:39

Video: 1080P/24 H.264

Audio: LPCM 5.1

#36 ·
Here is a suggestion for the music section:

Metallica Francais Pour Une Nuit - Enter Sandman 1:41:23 - 1:43:01

Video: MPEG-4 AVC / 1080i60 / 1.78:1

Audio: English DTS-HD Master 5.1 (48 kHz / 16-bit / 3027 kbps / Core DTS 5.1 1509 kbps

I can provide the source just let me know the format needed.

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast /forum/post/19643469

(I think it is.)

Michael

Michael, I tracked down the dvd and you're right that is an excellent track for the demo disc.

I converted the HD-DVD to Blu-ray, so I'll pm the op and see of he wants me to supply the track.

#39 ·
Steve, I was wondering if you could possibly look at putting a section on your disc of clips from movies that are encoded with 7.1 Dolby or Dts. There aren't alot out there right now but I thought for those that have a 7.1 system that might be handy. Excellent high quality project by the way. I will be ordering one of these.

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth /forum/post/19796173

Steve, I was wondering if you could possibly look at putting a section on your disc of clips from movies that are encoded with 7.1 Dolby or Dts. There aren't alot out there right now but I thought for those that have a 7.1 system that might be handy.

There are a couple here:
http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/hi...n-trailers.php

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast /forum/post/19636281

I'd like to chip in with a music suggestion: from the Eagles Farewell 1, Hole in the World. Great test/demo material in many ways. Deep bass is bass drum and bass guitar. Close-ups for evaluating skin tones. Black on black clothing. Spotlights. And it's a great song.

And it's short!

I just had the chance to watch this one 1080P and lossless, and I definitely vote for it to be included. Video and Audio are top notch REFERENCE quality.

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo /forum/post/19807511

I just had the chance to watch this one 1080P and lossless, and I definitely vote for it to be included. Video and Audio are top notch REFERENCE quality.

I downloaded it off of "teh server" but haven't had a chance to mux it and give it a spin. I can remember about 10 years ago I used an Eagles DVD for demoing to customers when I worked at an A/V retailer.

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth /forum/post/19796173

Steve, I was wondering if you could possibly look at putting a section on your disc of clips from movies that are encoded with 7.1 Dolby or Dts. There aren't alot out there right now but I thought for those that have a 7.1 system that might be handy. Excellent high quality project by the way. I will be ordering one of these.

Jvoth,

I'm trying to find a way of re-vamping the menu so that it will tell you the audio that is in each clip. I don't think I'll be creating a 7.1 genre but I may create some sort of filter. I'm planning to do this with scoped content so that those with scope screens basically click a button and it puts them into a menu loop that is a duplicate of the main menu set but altered to only contain scoped contents (the menu itself will be scoped to)

To pull this off my main element to tackle is figuring out the memory in scenarist so that when I select a clip it will take you back to the item you just selected instead of the top-menu like in Vol-1.

#45 ·
This thread isn't going to die, it's just at the tediously slow clip collection phase. Volume 1 had the same period of inactivity. That and I'm super busy with personal life at the moment too

#46 ·
I just got my version 1 disc in the mail(Thanks scubasteve). Anyways the one things that stands out to me is that there is some 3 hours of video on the disc.

It would have been nice to have somewhere to select 30min demonstration and it would run through clips. Jumping from clip to clip.

Basically the inclusion of playlists. Maybe people that have the disc can pip up with their playlist. I'm sure people don't sit visitors down and play the whole thing. Which clips do you play and why?

If there were some go to playlists on the discs so just sit down press play and forget about it. That would be great.

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/19934704

That's called a movie.

This is different.

Whooosh. That's the sound of my comments flying over your head.

A movie is 2 hours of the same plot driven source. Completely different from a 20, 30, 60 min HT demonstration made up of clips specially selected to show off ones home theatre the entire running time.

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haps /forum/post/19934676

I just got my version 1 disc in the mail(Thanks scubasteve). Anyways the one things that stands out to me is that there is some 3 hours of video on the disc.

It would have been nice to have somewhere to select 30min demonstration and it would run through clips. Jumping from clip to clip.

Basically the inclusion of playlists. Maybe people that have the disc can pip up with their playlist. I'm sure people don't sit visitors down and play the whole thing. Which clips do you play and why?

If there were some go to playlists on the discs so just sit down press play and forget about it. That would be great.

Haps,

The disc purposefully contains 3+ hours of clips, wherein the collection of clips each have different strengths, even differences within the same genre/section.

For example, the LFE section may have 1 clip that performs better on your system than mine, however a different clip may perform better on my system than yours.

Since everyone's theaters have different strengths and weaknesses it would be impossible to select the best 30 minutes of demonstration to create a playlist. If we could have the best 30 minutes objectively, this disc would be on a DVD and would be cheaper for everyone to either buy or download/burn.

I've put an emphasis on navigation, so you should be able to navigate from clip to clip with relative ease. When you demo your system feel free to select the best 30 minutes, you'll just have to manually go from clip to clip.

With that said, I'll be doing a "play-all" for v2 and will look into a genre/section play-all as well.

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 /forum/post/19930240

This thread isn't going to die, it's just at the tediously slow clip collection phase. ..
more coming ...

Elton 60 and Styx and the contemporary youth orchestra of Cleveland.

Not sure which tracks, but pretty much from both disc the whole thing are demo material.

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haps /forum/post/19934721

Whooosh. That's the sound of my comments flying over your head.

Not at all, I just don't agree with them. The purpose of a demo disc is to select clips that you're in the mood for or that suit your audience. Those two components are ever changing, so a static list doesn't make as much sense. There's plenty of non-stop action movies if you just want to put something in and let it play without taking into account the aforementioned factors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.