Home Theater Demo Disc - Version 2.0 - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1680 Old 10-14-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I successfully burned the BDMV and CERTIFICATE directories to the root of a BD-RE with ImgBrn in the UDF Format.

However, PowerDVD 11 says the resulting disc is in an unsupported format.

Any tips on what I am doing wrong?

Murray Kerdman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1680 Old 10-14-2011, 11:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I thought the project was released as an image.

Did you change to UDF 1.5?

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #903 of 1680 Old 10-14-2011, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

I thought the project was released as an image.

Did you change to UDF 1.5?

The release I downloaded was not an .ISO.

Is there an Option to change to UDF 1.5 in ImgBrn?

Murray Kerdman
post #904 of 1680 Old 10-14-2011, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

I thought the project was released as an image.Did you change to UDF 1.5?

No, not as an image.

@mkerdman. Under the "Options" tab. Data type : Mode1/2048, UDF Revision: 2.50
and "Recurse Subdirectories" only box checked, are the correct settings.

"Talk to me Goose"
post #905 of 1680 Old 10-14-2011, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcaster View Post

No, not as an image.

Thanks, I'll try it!

Murray Kerdman
post #906 of 1680 Old 10-14-2011, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, not as an image.

ImgBrn does not have an Options Tab and I cannot find the DATA TYPE: section in SETTINGS.

Can you direct me?

Murray Kerdman
post #907 of 1680 Old 10-14-2011, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerdman View Post

ImgBrn does not have an Options Tab and I cannot find the DATA TYPE: section in SETTINGS.

Can you direct me?

Sure it does.

Under "Mode", select/check "Build". Under "output" select "device".

"Talk to me Goose"
post #908 of 1680 Old 10-14-2011, 02:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 87
It most certainly does. After you start the program and select "write files/folders to disc", you should see an options tab.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #909 of 1680 Old 10-14-2011, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sure it does.

Under "Mode", select/check "Build". Under "output" select "device".

Doah!

Pilot Error here.

Let me try to burn/play it again.

Thanks!

Murray Kerdman
post #910 of 1680 Old 10-15-2011, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerdman View Post

I successfully burned the BDMV and CERTIFICATE directories to the root of a BD-RE with ImgBrn in the UDF Format.

However, PowerDVD 11 says the resulting disc is in an unsupported format.

Any tips on what I am doing wrong?

Play it in a hardware player. I've found many different software players on different machine have issues playing this disc and others.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #911 of 1680 Old 10-18-2011, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Perhaps I've just run into a couple of incorrect links, but is the disk really $52 to $60, straightaway?!

I do not have a BD burner and would like a disc but that seems a bit steep considering how many have ripped it for (essentially) the cost of a blank disc (and I'm assuming a PP donation by some).

Not trying to be ungrateful here, just wondering if I'm misinformed.

thanks,
James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #912 of 1680 Old 10-18-2011, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

No, those links are correct. SS put a lot of time and effort into the authoring of this disc, so for the people that don't download it, it's reasonable. Not to mention the cost of the blank disc and the time it takes to burn and mail it to you.

You could just buy a nice LG burner @ $69.99/free shipping and then you're set for the future : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136226

"Talk to me Goose"
post #913 of 1680 Old 10-18-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

^ So for people who didn't get it for free, $50-$60 is reasonable? lol!

I suppose it's akin to saying: for those who didn't download the CD for free $12-$15 is reasonable.

At about $2 a disc and 50 cents to mail, I'd imagine he'd be well compensated at $20-$30, I could be wrong though. As an aside, just imagine what music/movie prices would be if we all just shared the cost instead of charging the people still trying to be law-abiding/ethical to make up the difference for the millions who act otherwise?

I realize this scenario is not a direct parallel, but I'd bet if everyone chipped in this disc would be $15 and Scubasteve would be even further ahead.

Sigh...such is life in the "digital age". Rant over, thanks for confirming my info.

James

post #914 of 1680 Old 10-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

^ So for people who didn't get it for free, $50-$60 is reasonable? lol!

I suppose it's akin to saying: for those who didn't download the CD for free $12-$15 is reasonable.

At about $2 a disc and 50 cents to mail, I'd imagine he'd be well compensated at $20-$30, I could be wrong though. As an aside, just imagine what music/movie prices would be if we all just shared the cost instead of charging the people still trying to be law-abiding/ethical to make up the difference for the millions who act otherwise?

I realize this scenario is not a direct parallel, but I'd bet if everyone chipped in this disc would be $15 and Scubasteve would be even further ahead.

Sigh...such is life in the "digital age". Rant over, thanks for confirming my info.

James

I don't think Scubasteve is looking to get "even further ahead". He's doing the community a favor, not running a business. He put the file up for free for who ever wants it. Movie studios don't do that. I think the price is more than fair considering he's continually going out of his way to provide a different form of what he has already made available.
post #915 of 1680 Old 10-18-2011, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

^ I didn't say he was, but merely suggesting that if everyone pitched in a few bucks he would end up that way and we'd ALL obtain the media inexpensively- not just those with the know-how and BD burners. I can guarantee you that there are dozens of folks who can't fork out 50-$60 bucks for this but would PP $20 in two seconds.

And I'm sorry to disagree, but offering up the disc for $60 leans much closer to "business" than "favor". Although, again, that doesn't mean I'm ungrateful for his efforts.

In reality: you know steve knows full-well knows the file would be up on torrent sites in 10 seconds with his blessing or not...just as copy-written material ended up on his disc without studio permission (an assumption on my part). Kinda the unfortunate reality of the 21st century music and movies: everyone owns everything (or at least feels they have the right to, with many).

James

post #916 of 1680 Old 10-18-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

No James, your analogy is way off. Music CD's are commercially produced and, if produced by an individual, very inexpensive to author. Video, on the other hand, takes expensive software (in this case Sonic Scenarist) time consuming gathering the appropriate clips and then the assembly/authoring process. Not to mention the cover and dvd art.

He made it availabe to the community at no charge (via Torrent btw), however, those that wanted him to burn a copy was their choice. And, quite frankly, you're the first, including those that already purchased it, to even comment on the price.

Again, he wasn't trying to be "ahead" so he didn't ask that anyone chip in. Although there was an option to donate any amount via PayPal, which many members have done. Look at it as being akin to shareware.

However, yes I agree that use of the clips is certainly a grey area.

James, bottom line, buy a BD burner.

"Talk to me Goose"
post #917 of 1680 Old 10-18-2011, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

My analogy is not "way off". Anything but, actually.

First of all, the assertion/assumption that I'm speaking of music CD's "produced by an individual" is absurd...I'm not of course. I'm speaking of LP's that cost MILLIONS to produce, mix, master, market and distribute. But even if I were (speaking of "self-produced" albums), the idea that you think a properly produced/mixed/mastered CD is either inexpensive and/or not time consuming is telling, to say the very least. Ask someone (me, for instance) the cost, equipment, software, locale, and time required to turn out a listenable, quality result, I'd be more than happy to share what I know.

Second, your take (essentially) that this media (or any else, for that matter) should be "free" to anyone who owns a BD burner and incalculably more expensive for someone who does not is bizarre. Identically priced? Of course not. But there's a reason why d-loaded songs are largely 79-99 cents and cd's are more or less $12 or less these days. Of course virtually everyone can choose to price whatever they like however they like in the good ol' USA.

Again, the files are "there" (on the www) the fact that steve used copy-written material to put a disc together and then "blessed"/promoted their existence there- while from one perspective is generous- is also redundant.

I didn't wish to point this in the direction that I have any ill-will towards Steve or anyone else here. I merely made the (apparently disastrous) suggestion that paying 50-$60 for something that's free to anyone with a BD burner to be a bit much.

My apologies to those offended by such a statement.

James

post #918 of 1680 Old 10-18-2011, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

My analogy is not "way off". Anything but, actually.

First of all, the assertion/assumption that I'm speaking of music CD's "produced by an individual" is absurd...I'm not of course. I'm speaking of LP's that cost MILLIONS to produce, mix, master, market and distribute. But even if I were (speaking of "self-produced" albums), the idea that you think a properly produced/mixed/mastered CD is either inexpensive and/or not time consuming is telling, to say the very least. Ask someone (me, for instance) the cost, equipment, software, locale, and time required to turn out a listenable, quality result, I'd be more than happy to share what I know.

Second, your take (essentially) that this media (or any else, for that matter) should be "free" to anyone who owns a BD burner and incalculably more expensive for someone who does not is bizarre. Identically priced? Of course not. But there's a reason why d-loaded songs are largely 79-99 cents and cd's are more or less $12 or less these days. Of course virtually everyone can choose to price whatever they like however they like in the good ol' USA.

Again, the files are "there" (on the www) the fact that steve used copy-written material to put a disc together and then "blessed"/promoted their existence there- while from one perspective is generous- is also redundant.

I didn't wish to point this in the direction that I have any ill-will towards Steve or anyone else here. I merely made the (apparently disastrous) suggestion that paying 50-$60 for something that's free to anyone with a BD burner to be a bit much.

My apologies to those offended by such a statement.

James

Does the Apple TV stream m2ts? Or do you have a ps3? If either you can download and stream it.
post #919 of 1680 Old 10-18-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

^ No ps3 anymore, and I'm not sure about the A-TV...it can be fussy of course. I'll end up getting the disc and just moving on.

Again, I didn't mean to come in here and stir things up. It simply struck me as a bit pricey and I should have just kept my opinion to myself and not jacked up the thread.

Thanks Steve and please excuse my reaction.

James

post #920 of 1680 Old 10-18-2011, 12:49 PM

Liked: 10
Ultimately, I think you're missing the point.

Steve does not WANT to burn discs for people. He's already put in a bunch of effort to create this disc, and has made it freely available.

For whatever reason, some people don't wish to burn the disc. (This includes those not wishing to buy a burner.) Okay, fine. For those folks, there is another option, but the price is steep so that there is incentive to DIY this disc, rather than just ordering it. In other words, the price makes you think more about your options.

I, for one, have no issue with that. In fact, I think it makes perfect sense.

post #921 of 1680 Old 10-18-2011, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
$60 to do a bunch of stuff I DON'T want to do like buy, burn and post Blu-Rays? No way. I commend Steve for agreeing to do it. I don't have a burner. I downloaded the files and play the clips on my HTPC. I got the 'disc' for free and am very grateful.
post #922 of 1680 Old 10-18-2011, 01:16 PM

Keep in mind some members have a "cap" on bandwith. This 50+ GB file took me a long time to d/l. Something else to consider?
You can always buy a DLNA server & a Oppo disc player to stream it to your home theatre like I did
post #923 of 1680 Old 10-18-2011, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

At about $2 a disc and 50 cents to mail, I'd imagine he'd be well compensated at $20-$30, I could be wrong though.

You should check your pricing, keeping in mind that a 50GB disc is required. I'm pretty sure Steve's cost was even higher when that pricing was set. Also, consider: having already spent hundreds (yes, literally hundreds) of hours creating the disc so that it would meet everyone else's expectations and work with their hardware and be available readily, how many free trips to the post office would you make? My time is more valuable than that.

I'm not trying to involve myself in an argument or anything, but I think you haven't actually considered it from Steve's perspective.
post #924 of 1680 Old 10-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
On the bandwidth note, how are you guys downloading a file so large? It's been on my to do list and eventually got shifted to the back burner. I think Comcast wouldn't be too happy, and I'm not really wanting to be further down throttled.
post #925 of 1680 Old 10-18-2011, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I want to know where I can get DL blu-ray media for $2...

I did download both and donated some bucks for the time. I got discs for $9, burned one coaster due to a brain fart on my end (not fully understanding the folder structure for V1)... BUT, I don't have a bandwidth cap, and I already had justified the Blu-Ray burner months ago for archiving our digital photos (we are at about 40 GB already for 2011) and HD home videos. The discs are very professionally done too. I can see the reason for the high cost. It ScubaSteve "charged" $30 for the disc, then you have about $7 per disc (bulk purchase), plus the burn time, plus mailing, and he would be a busy man. At $60, people that really want it without haven't to buy a burner or media still have an option, and ScubaSteve isn't flooded with requests.
post #926 of 1680 Old 10-18-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 View Post

On the bandwidth note, how are you guys downloading a file so large? It's been on my to do list and eventually got shifted to the back burner. I think Comcast wouldn't be too happy, and I'm not really wanting to be further down throttled.

If you don't download much then you'd be fine. I think my soft cap is 250GB a month so ~50 isn't bad at all.
post #927 of 1680 Old 10-18-2011, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I should have just kept my opinion to myself and not jacked up the thread.

Word ^^^

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #928 of 1680 Old 10-18-2011, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

^ sheesh, you can always count on someone to pile on...even after an apology.

Anyway, I'm sure my iphone had something to do with this $2 for a BD "thing". Shoulda read "$7"...I believe I got my bro a ten-pack of 50 giggers for ~70 bux a couple months ago on amazon.

Again, thanks for the work and effort Steve- I look forward to checking it out.

James

post #929 of 1680 Old 10-19-2011, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

^ sheesh, you can always count on someone to pile on...even after an apology.

Relax, my friend. A one word response agreeing with you is hardly "piling on." Sorry if you took it that way, as it wasn't my intent.

The Un-Theater Un-Build

post #930 of 1680 Old 10-22-2011, 12:01 PM

Excellent setup - - Thanks again!!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page