Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 202

Whew.

wink.gif

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1679 Old 07-08-2013, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Better late than never. I have 2 outstanding blu ray demo discs now. Again many thanks to all who participated in this effort. I will seed for next 3 days.

Theater Room: Carada BW-115", Epson 8700 UB, Oppo BDP-93, Roku 3, MX-1200, MRF-350, Energy S10.3, Onkyo TX-SR 707, Emotiva UPA-700, Energy CB-20, Energy CC-10,
post #1623 of 1679 Old 07-08-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

There are others:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/demonstration-blu-ray-discs-independently-authored

Blu_One likes this.

post #1624 of 1679 Old 07-16-2013, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Would someone like to burn a disc and send it to me? i could cover costs please?
post #1625 of 1679 Old 07-16-2013, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is version 2 still being seeded? I'm attempting a download via utorrent but it appears to be going very slow - about as slow as possible without stopping.

Edit: Just realized my disc cache was the issue. I manually increased it and things are working fine now. Looking forward to another excellent demo disc. Thanks!

post #1626 of 1679 Old 07-16-2013, 05:42 PM

Liked: 19
i`ll seed for you.
post #1627 of 1679 Old 07-16-2013, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDdawn6 View Post

i`ll seed for you.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

post #1628 of 1679 Old 07-16-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm back, too. After 8 weeks and 190GB, I thought I was just about done. I'll stay on until it's quiet again, then I think my poor HTPC needs a few days off.

And a backup!

Michael

post #1629 of 1679 Old 07-24-2013, 05:14 AM

May I know in what situation do I use the test tone?

For the Ultra Low Sweep that starts from 1Hz, it has a warning before the option to play. So being a noob I didn't dare to play.

However, I accidentally played the subwoofer test tone 10Hz to 70Hz. It didn't has a warning before play like the Ultra Low Sweep. Will that damaged the subwoofer and speaker? Only found out later that 10Hz to 40Hz may not be able to be produce by the subwoofer and speaker and may even damage them.

Appreciate the expert advise. Thank you.
post #1630 of 1679 Old 07-24-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

The test tone is used to evaluate your system's capability. Loud test tones can damage equipment; since there's no "standard" volume for recording them, the usual suggestion is to reduce the volume and start with a tone in the series you know you can hear (80 Hz, for example), and then run the other tests. You don't want to crank up a 20Hz tone to try to hear it because, unless your system is specifically designed to go that low (and many here are, BTW), you WILL destroy something. A sweep should increase (or decrease) in frequency smoothly with little to no change in volume. That won't happen unless you've spent lots of time equilibrating your room and your system, about which tons of information is available here.

Welcome aboard! smile.gif

Michael

post #1631 of 1679 Old 07-24-2013, 06:55 AM

Thank you for the prompt info.

I kept the volume unchanged and did not crank up. Can hear that the frequencies were increased smoothly in steps. Guess my basic 5.1 setup should be fine.

IN any case, how do I know that if there are damages? It should be very obvious to the ear right?

Is there such a thing a degraded for speakers and subwoofer, instead of permanent damage?
post #1632 of 1679 Old 07-24-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

You would know. wink.gif

Enjoy.

post #1633 of 1679 Old 07-24-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Are you suggesting that this disc is not encrypted and therefore I should be able to "read" the disc and pull the files off it without running makemkv?

I haven't read this thread in a while, so I am behind in responding to this.

A couple of things:

1) Encrypted discs can only be produced by production companies, as it requires a license to do so. As this is a consumer produced disc, it cannot be encrypted.

2) Encrypted discs cannot be read by makemkv.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1634 of 1679 Old 07-24-2013, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

I haven't read this thread in a while, so I am behind in responding to this.

A couple of things:

1) Encrypted discs can only be produced by production companies, as it requires a license to do so. As this is a consumer produced disc, it cannot be encrypted.

2) Encrypted discs cannot be read by makemkv.

Negative on #1. I used a professional authoring tool that has the encryption plug-in. For obvious reasons I chose not to enact that. This is not a "consumer" disc simply because I'm not employed by a house. I'm experienced professionally, as an Electrical Engineer, with the development of user interfaces, graphics and software. Other than the few playlist mistakes there's not really any differences in this disc than if authoring house would have done it. The menus might have been snazzier, and there might have been encryption, but fundamentally there wouldn't be any differences.
superleo likes this.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #1635 of 1679 Old 07-24-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

I know which program you used to do the authoring. Yes, you have the pieces in which to do encryption, AIUI, the encryption can't be fully applied until the discs are done through an authorized disc production house.

I'll be happy to be proven otherwise. Try creating an encrypted disc and then burning it. Then try reading the contents from the disc, or just try playing one of the m2ts files. If VLC can play the m2ts file, the disc wasn't encrypted.

If consumer Blu-ray burners were allowed to burn encrypted discs, there would be zero problems with consumers copying studio releases.

My money is on your not being able to produce an encrypted disc.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1636 of 1679 Old 07-24-2013, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My point stands. I released data. Not a burned disc. What I released could have been encrypted. I had the access, means and know how. What I released had no relevancy for how it was utilized. Most may have burned it but I know many just dropped them on their servers to be played back with thier network tanks or put into a harddrive to be played with thier Oppo.

There's was nothing about what I made that required burning by a consumer BDR drive.

post #1637 of 1679 Old 07-24-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

I just read the Scenarist manual regarding AACS. While you indeed can go through the process of doing all the work of setting up the AACS, anything you produce and release, like you did, will not function as copy protection.

An image layout has to be completed via Scenarist whereby the AACS files MUST be in particular locations on the disc. Yes, disc. Ultimately, a CMF (Cutting Master Format) image must be created and sent to a production house.

So yes, you have the tools to do AACS, but you must complete the process.

Oh, and if you want to create a BD-RE v3 test disc, you have to have a Rimage burning tower in order to do so. No other options were given in the manual for creating your own discs.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1638 of 1679 Old 07-24-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Forrest...... Trees

I did not create physical discs. I released an image. That image could have, if I had chosen, to be ready for an production facility. What exactly are you struggling to get?

You said this was just a "consumer disc". What specifically separates this? Not the tools or with that went into it? You're so hung up Ina detail that you're missing the primary point.

I DID NOT RELEASE A COMPLETE PHYSICAL DISC.

I took the development to the same level a professional author would have done. The difference is instead of applying the encryption and sending it to disc production facility I instead kept the encryption out of it and put it on the web. There is no consumer/professional line of demarcation that exists based on the existence of encryption or the image being sent off for mass production. Not everything professional is encrypted and mass produced. By your own logic early builds of Avatar would have been consumer.

post #1639 of 1679 Old 07-24-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Some people are just butts. Always smarter, faster, better looking than everyone else...

I'm loving my "download" that I happened to put onto a disc thanks to the lack of copy protection. Thanks Steve.
post #1640 of 1679 Old 07-24-2013, 09:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Funny, I remember downloading all of the individual files that made up the release, not an image (ISO) file.

A consumer release is any DVD/Blu-ray not produced and released by a studio or sub-license of said rights holder.

I know that you didn't release a physical disc. That was part of my point. You initially said that you could have encrypted the data files you did release because you had to tools to do so. I wrote that no consumer released files could be encrypted. Turns out, after reading the manual, professionally released files can't be encrypted either. The complete production process must take place before the encryption become viable. If I am misreading the manual, please explain where I went wrong.

We can nit-pick about consumer and professional releases, but my initial posting about you not being able to encrypt what you released was correct. No one can do it, not even studios or production houses.

Even if you created an BD-RE v3 ISO file and put it out for users to download, it would have been useless as none of us have a Rimage tower in order to burn a disc that would play in standalone players or computers. The ISO, while it would probably burn via a consumer BD burner, would be unplayable.

As for your Avatar example... no it would not be a consumer release as it was done by the studio, or authorized production house.

If the studios had hired you to produce the demo disc, then it would not have been a consumer release.

Thinking about it, even if you were able to do a release of files that were encrypted, no one would be able to do anything with them. Computer software wouldn't be able to play them, users couldn't burn them to media and play them that way either. So, maybe my statement about not being able to release encrypted files needs some fine print, i.e., no one can release encrypted files that are useful to anyone.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1641 of 1679 Old 07-24-2013, 09:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

I'm loving my "download" that I happened to put onto a disc thanks to the lack of copy protection. Thanks Steve.

I agree that it is indeed a great release.

Steve and I obviously disagree. On that we can agree.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1642 of 1679 Old 07-24-2013, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:

I know which program you used to do the authoring. Yes, you have the pieces in which to do encryption, AIUI, the encryption can't be fully applied until the discs are done through an authorized disc production house.

I'll be happy to be proven otherwise. Try creating an encrypted disc and then burning it. Then try reading the contents from the disc, or just try playing one of the m2ts files. If VLC can play the m2ts file, the disc wasn't encrypted.

If consumer Blu-ray burners were allowed to burn encrypted discs, there would be zero problems with consumers copying studio releases.

My money is on your not being able to produce an encrypted disc.

Quote:

I just read the Scenarist manual regarding AACS. While you indeed can go through the process of doing all the work of setting up the AACS, anything you produce and release, like you did, will not function as copy protection.

An image layout has to be completed via Scenarist whereby the AACS files MUST be in particular locations on the disc. Yes, disc. Ultimately, a CMF (Cutting Master Format) image must be created and sent to a production house.

So yes, you have the tools to do AACS, but you must complete the process.

Oh, and if you want to create a BD-RE v3 test disc, you have to have a Rimage burning tower in order to do so. No other options were given in the manual for creating your own discs.

Quote:

Funny, I remember downloading all of the individual files that made up the release, not an image (ISO) file.

A consumer release is any DVD/Blu-ray not produced and released by a studio or sub-license of said rights holder.

I know that you didn't release a physical disc. That was part of my point. You initially said that you could have encrypted the data files you did release because you had to tools to do so. I wrote that no consumer released files could be encrypted. Turns out, after reading the manual, professionally released files can't be encrypted either. The complete production process must take place before the encryption become viable. If I am misreading the manual, please explain where I went wrong.

We can nit-pick about consumer and professional releases, but my initial posting about you not being able to encrypt what you released was correct. No one can do it, not even studios or production houses.

Even if you created an BD-RE v3 ISO file and put it out for users to download, it would have been useless as none of us have a Rimage tower in order to burn a disc that would play in standalone players or computers. The ISO, while it would probably burn via a consumer BD burner, would be unplayable.

As for your Avatar example... no it would not be a consumer release as it was done by the studio, or authorized production house.

If the studios had hired you to produce the demo disc, then it would not have been a consumer release.

Thinking about it, even if you were able to do a release of files that were encrypted, no one would be able to do anything with them. Computer software wouldn't be able to play them, users couldn't burn them to media and play them that way either. So, maybe my statement about not being able to release encrypted files needs some fine print, i.e., no one can release encrypted files that are useful to anyone.

scubasteve,

I have input the above postings into my custom built "ingrateful user of other people's unsolicited and unpaid work" translator program and all is well. What he was actually saying is "Thank you Steve for all your hard work and contributions to the community. I think I speak for all here that you work on this demo is exemplary and this forum would not be as well regarded as it is without people like you."
nickbuol likes this.
post #1643 of 1679 Old 07-25-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

How about I start a company called "NEBula Studios" (NEB are my initials, catchy huh?)

I will pay Steve $5 for his work on this disc.

I will burn a single copy of it at my "office".

It is now a commercial release. YAY! rolleyes.gif

Then I will make the disc a freely downloadable work out of my generosity.

I will then close down NEBula Studios.

It will still be a commercial release. rolleyes.gif
post #1644 of 1679 Old 07-25-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Sorry ... my two cents whether you like it or not.

All this is nonsense, you won't convince, better yet convert, anyone by explaining or even by presenting absolutely all the facts about producing and authoring. Even though there are undeniable fact about all these, when brought up thorough a forum, at the end, they are just opinions...

Anyways, these discs are as professional as professional get. In my opinion they are even better than what the studios had produced (no disrespect to anyone). Not profiting or having a "commercial venue" for these does not mean that they are not professional. Also, just because the creators smile.gif of the discs are not specific to the industry doesn't mean that they are not professionally made. We might not be in the specific profession, but the work speaks for itself, and the tools and software used to create these is the same as the software used for the Blurays you and I buy.

Not being encrypted or not having specific country codes means nothing, these discs are targeted for commercial/personal use, that meaning you and me. If suggesting that commercial use is lesser grade than professional use, that is absolutely wrong. Furthermore, I think the commercial vs. professional terms are being miss-used in this instance. In the electronic industry the term commercial vs professional would be correct. For example there are professional grade monitors vs commercial grade monitors. We all understand that. Regarding Blurays, these discs in particular, there is not such a thing. In this regard would be more comparable to what is done in the retail industry... for commercial use vs. personal use, which would mean -- to be sold somewhere (for profit) vs just for the end user, that usually translates as FREE.

Now regarding the productions of the discs, if the intent would be to mass produce these and actually have physical media to distribute then yes there are certain steps, specific to Bluray production, that only certain companies can do before they are mass produced, however that has never been the intent of any of these projects.

Finally, just a big thanks to Steve for the first and V2 discs. They are very professional and a must have for AV setups.
nickbuol and duc135 like this.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #1645 of 1679 Old 07-25-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

"ingrateful user of other people's unsolicited and unpaid work"

Interesting how a discussion about consumer/production and encryption made me "ingrateful."

I've been no such thing regarding Steve's excellent release.
superleo likes this.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1646 of 1679 Old 07-25-2013, 12:39 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:

Interesting how a discussion about consumer/production and encryption made me "ingrateful."

I've been no such thing regarding Steve's excellent release.

You have WAYYYY too much time on your hands if you can sit there and delve through the Scenarist manual and argue over such stupid things. Move on man.
nickbuol likes this.

post #1647 of 1679 Old 07-25-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Side affect of being a Unix guru over 3 decades and that is you RTFM. I have the manual so I looked. I didn't go searching the net for a copy.

And ya, I have the time biggrin.gif

Onward and upward.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1648 of 1679 Old 07-26-2013, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The BD-RE output option is there so that the "professionals" can test thier work in actual players before sending out for mass production. By your standard, any development at that point would not be professional.

Lets see:

1) I used the same tool(s) that authoring houses use
2) I have many years of paid professional experience developing user interfaces
3) I have paid professional experience using photoshop
4) I didn't encrypt the disc and have it mass produced.

The only difference between this disc (and Leo's) is that we didn't do step #4.

Do you use this non-commercial, encryption lacking, non-mass-produced, unprofessional bluray by any chance? Surely not as much as the "professional" ones since there is a clear and stated stark difference.
LastButNotLeast likes this.

post #1649 of 1679 Old 07-26-2013, 04:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

By your standard, any development at that point would not be professional.

That is not what I wrote. Go back and re-read.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1650 of 1679 Old 07-26-2013, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I did.
Quote:

I don't know if Avatar was done using Scenarist, but I'm sure the other software tools used have a "test" function, like the Scenarist BD-RE output option for testing purposes. At that point in time, a fully functioning disc from a "production house" would have 100% the same as my disc. So it seems, the presence of encryption has nothing to do with whether the development is "professional" or not. You then back-peddled and suggested:
Quote:

So, if what I made was 100% exactly the same, which it would have been if a studio hired me to do it, then it would magically change from consumer to professional simply because of the exchange of money? If the content was100% identical, which it would have been when I would have done the BD-RE test output. The only difference is that it would have applied the AACS before sending it off for mass production. Therefore it goes back to exactly what I said earlier. The only meaningful difference other than the exchange of money from a studio to my bank account would be the application of that final step, applied encryption and mass production.

As the "author", I wouldn't mass produce the disc. My steps of "authoring" would have been essentially the same. I would have built the AACS into the image as a final step. I would not have mass produced the disc, just like in this situation here I did not mass produce the disc. I could have applied the AACS just as I would have if a "studio hired me to produce the demo disc" but it would have been worthless to end users here. Making it compatible with end users here has no forbearance on the professional authoring of the disc or not.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page