AVS Forum banner

JapanDave dedicated theater build.

130K views 621 replies 111 participants last post by  vikgrao 
#1 ·

Well the home theater is finally under way.

I had Dennis Erskine do the acoustical designs for me and since I am in Japan I obviously could not have him do the whole theater for me (Something that I wish I could have done).

The room is 22.3' long 16' wide and 7.9' high. It is solid concrete for all four walls ,celling and floor. It will completely sealed with 400lbs sound proof doors(two locations).

Equipment so far is,

Speakers

Quested 210c main monitors X 3 (L,C,R)

Selah Audio SB Array X 2 (surround)

RE Audio XXX 18" X 7 (Infinite baffle sub)

PJ: Vango LED

Bluray: Opppo BDP-95

Assasin HTPC

RS20i Receiver

Lab Gruppen FP 10000Q  Power Amp x 2

Lab Gruppen FP 14000  Power Amp

Yamaha TX4n Power Amp

Yamaha TX4n Power Amp x 2

14' Wide At Center Stage Seymour screen 1.2 gain

First some help with my speaker choice and PJ from AVS members,
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1167835
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=seaton
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=seaton

Here are the initial ideas and designs I had come up with, these are nothing like the designs that Dennis has made for me.

A few changes have been made since these designs were made.

See less See more
Reactions: ClimbMyRobot
#553 ·
Been marveling over your incredible build! Subscribed and I would like to say how impressed I am with your gear choice and ingenuity. That swinging screen door solution is pure genius man! On the D-Cinema forum member Cineramax builds special client home cinemas for A-List Hollywood directors and the like and he raves about the Quested line of speakers. Glad to hear you solved your ear pressure issue. Lookin forward to hearing your impressions once you get all 7 18's goin. Great job man!

#554 ·
Thanks for the kind words. Still not quite finished (Is it ever? LOL)

As for the subs, I should have the sound proof doors installed soon and I can install the drivers and start the EQ process again.

I have been trying to figure out a way to apply a house curve to sub 20hz frequencies and got lots of advise so far.

I probably should post more in this thread though.

Cheers Dave

#555 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave  /t/1283827/japandave-dedicated-theater-build/540#post_22956943

Thanks for the kind words. Still not quite finished (Is it ever? LOL)

As for the subs, I should have the sound proof doors installed soon and I can install the drivers and start the EQ process again.

I have been trying to figure out a way to apply a house curve to sub 20hz frequencies and got lots of advise so far.

I probably should post more in this thread though.

Cheers Dave

Cool man. Pm or follow member MKtheater about help setting up a sub 20 house curve. He should be able to help. He is the king of setting up multiple sub house curves and he is all about ULF down to below 5hz.

#556 ·
I posted this in my sub thread , but I will post this here as well.

I have been playing with the LP and I moved it forward a tad and this is what I got. Safe to say I never imagined that moving the main listening position forward would change the in room response this much.

I purposefully bumped the area from 20hz and below, other wise it would be flat. The biggest win I found was that the waterfall plot .

All measurements done with Audix TM1 and sound devices USBPre 2 mic pre amp.

Before,

After,

#558 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig  /t/1283827/japandave-dedicated-theater-build/540#post_23074447

Any updates?

Nothing yet. I have cleaned out the back rrom ready for the second IB sub install. Roger is coming around tomorrow, so hopefully he likes it, but being that it is unfinished I guess I have an excuse.

#559 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave  /t/1283827/japandave-dedicated-theater-build/540#post_23074629

Nothing yet. I have cleaned out the back rrom ready for the second IB sub install. Roger is coming around tomorrow, so hopefully he likes it, but being that it is unfinished I guess I have an excuse.

Cool sometimes getting the cleaning work done can be half the battle. Wish you good luck my man!

#560 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave  /t/1283827/japandave-dedicated-theater-build/540#post_23074629

Nothing yet. I have cleaned out the back room ready for the second IB sub install. Roger is coming around tomorrow, so hopefully he likes it, but being that it is unfinished I guess I have an excuse.
Roger was there, and he liked it. Putting it mildly.

When we first fired up the system, I asked to play an old Dolby test disc "Explore Our World" just to get a reference for the setup. First it has the normal bandlimited noise stepped thru the 5 main channels. Then it has a filtered bass signal stepped thru 6 channels (adding the LFE). This one sniffs out bass management settings in 10 seconds, and indeed we found some issues with the setup. Rather than try to diagnose what happened with the custom setup, Dave switched to the processor's native setup, and all worked normally.

There was still a 3 dB discrepancy in the surround levels, and I initially thought that was the RS-20's theatrical heritage coming thru (cinema surrounds are calibrated 3 dB lower), but later that day we visited the setup menu again and it said it was in the "standard 7.1" mode. But the system has 5.1 speakers, so I wonder if the processor was splitting the surrounds at -3dB. Dave will find out when he changes it to a 5.1 speaker setup. Anyway, we calibrated it so it did not affect our listening.

The change in speaker bass management also resulted in somewhat overexuberant bass, so Dave pulled up his "Synthesis" target curve and I think we both immediately felt that was right on the money balance-wise.

Dave let me first play a CD I burned with several familiar music selections, and was happy to see we agree that louder is not always better. Playing at comfortable loudness, I was nonetheless immediately struck by the quality of the bass. Every note was heard as a separate event. No blurr or overhang, every note spoke with defined pitch, attack and integrated beautifully with the rest of the spectrum. The delicacy was a pleasant surprise, but whenever it called for either subterranean depth (the HVAC motors that were picked up in the Dido recording), or just a full measure of dynamics in Lyle Lovett, it was all there in full measure as easy as you please. No sweat, no strain.

Time for some movies. The famous WOTW "crawl out of the street" scene shook me in the seat, which was remarkable given the seats sit on a carpeted concrete floor that is not vibrating. This was when playing at -15 dB.

The "going down" crash scene in "Flight of the Phoenix" put me right inside that rickety aircraft. It was a jawdropping visceral experience. Just astoundingly good.

Now all this blubbering about the bass may lead you to think the rest of the sound was pretty normal. But no. The L/C/Rs are Quested HQ210 , and whatever may have been bothering Dave about the high frequencies of other speakers he's had was not in evidence with these. Detail galore right through the woven screen, smooth clean sound one can enjoy for hours without fatigue. The surrounds were just as impressive. I forget the details, but they seemed to be 5' tall line arrays with ribbon tweeters. There may be a second pair in the future, I believe.

Watching Star Trek, which also sounded great, I felt the video image was tending to crush into the black, so we dug out the Spears and Munsil disc and did some quick fiddling with the Oppo controls just to see what would happen -- so as to not mess the PJ's settings. Raising the brightness and reducing the contrast helped a lot, but I suspect there's a better way to refine the calibration of the laser-powered image than that. More importantly, the curved screen fills what I estimate is a full 60-deg viewing angle when showing 2.40 content (it's a CIH setup), which creates its own sense of involvement that complements the likewise involving sound.

How much of this astonishing total system performance can be attributed to any one thing? I think it is the superb blend of all the factors that makes this theater and the experiences it provides so special. The processor, amps, main speakers, subs, room design and construction, acoustic treatments, tuning/target curve, every element is there in full measure. As Salieri said: "Displace one note and there would be diminishment..."

Congratulations, Dave, on the amazing project. And my heartfelt thanks for your gracious hospitality in opening your home to a total stranger.

#561 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler  /t/1283827/japandave-dedicated-theater-build/540#post_23125905

Roger was there, and he liked it. Putting it mildly.

When we first fired up the system, I asked to play an old Dolby test disc "Explore Our World" just to get a reference for the setup. First it has the normal bandlimited noise stepped thru the 5 main channels. Then it has a filtered bass signal stepped thru 6 channels (adding the LFE). This one sniffs out bass management settings in 10 seconds, and indeed we found some issues with the setup. Rather than try to diagnose what happened with the custom setup, Dave switched to the processor's native setup, and all worked normally.

There was still a 3 dB discrepancy in the surround levels, and I initially thought that was the RS-20's theatrical heritage coming thru (cinema surrounds are calibrated 3 dB lower), but later that day we visited the setup menu again and it said it was in the "standard 7.1" mode. But the system has 5.1 speakers, so I wonder if the processor was splitting the surrounds at -3dB. Dave will find out when he changes it to a 5.1 speaker setup. Anyway, we calibrated it so it did not affect our listening.

The change in speaker bass management also resulted in somewhat overexuberant bass, so Dave pulled up his "Synthesis" target curve and I think we both immediately felt that was right on the money balance-wise.

Dave let me first play a CD I burned with several familiar music selections, and was happy to see we agree that louder is not always better. Playing at comfortable loudness, I was nonetheless immediately struck by the quality of the bass. Every note was heard as a separate event. No blurr or overhang, every note spoke with defined pitch, attack and integrated beautifully with the rest of the spectrum. The delicacy was a pleasant surprise, but whenever it called for either subterranean depth (the HVAC motors that were picked up in the Dido recording), or just a full measure of dynamics in Lyle Lovett, it was all there in full measure as easy as you please. No sweat, no strain.

Time for some movies. The famous WOTW "crawl out of the street" scene shook me in the seat, which was remarkable given the seats sit on a carpeted concrete floor that is not vibrating. This was when playing at -15 dB.

The "going down" crash scene in "Flight of the Phoenix" put me right inside that rickety aircraft. It was a jawdropping visceral experience. Just astoundingly good.

Now all this blubbering about the bass may lead you to think the rest of the sound was pretty normal. But no. The L/C/Rs are Quested HQ210 , and whatever may have been bothering Dave about the high frequencies of other speakers he's had was not in evidence with these. Detail galore right through the woven screen, smooth clean sound one can enjoy for hours without fatigue. The surrounds were just as impressive. I forget the details, but they seemed to be 5' tall line arrays with ribbon tweeters. There may be a second pair in the future, I believe.

Watching Star Trek, which also sounded great, I felt the video image was tending to crush into the black, so we dug out the Spears and Munsil disc and did some quick fiddling with the Oppo controls just to see what would happen -- so as to not mess the PJ's settings. Raising the brightness and reducing the contrast helped a lot, but I suspect there's a better way to refine the calibration of the laser-powered image than that. More importantly, the curved screen fills what I estimate is a full 60-deg viewing angle when showing 2.40 content (it's a CIH setup), which creates its own sense of involvement that complements the likewise involving sound.

How much of this astonishing total system performance can be attributed to any one thing? I think it is the superb blend of all the factors that makes this theater and the experiences it provides so special. The processor, amps, main speakers, subs, room design and construction, acoustic treatments, tuning/target curve, every element is there in full measure. As Salieri said: "Displace one note and there would be diminishment..."

Congratulations, Dave, on the amazing project. And my heartfelt thanks for your gracious hospitality in opening your home to a total stranger.

Sounds like a very fun time! Nice little right up. I've heard great things about the Quested LCRs.

#562 ·
Well, I just have say thanks to Roger for the great day. It was awesome having you here Roger, I never thought I would ever be able to share this theater with anyone.

I also want to thank you for helping me with the setup of both the sound system and the projector, you have opened my eyes to a whole new world of tweaking. BTW, I checked the surrounds and you were right, the 7.1 made them 3db softer. So I had to reduce them a fe db after you left. I listened to that CD you gave a few times now and I can really appreciate what you are saying about the clarity. Who would have thought, a HT that is good for music as well. LOL!

Once I have the last 4 x 18" drivers installed and calibrated I am sure that I can improve on this system right now.

Anyway, that is all for now, I will post updates once I start the second IB sub.

Cheers

#563 ·
I forgot to mention Dennis. In the room that I have he did a fantastic job of getting tamed for music and movies. Without his help I would have never been able to get a HT like this. Thanks Dennis.

#565 ·
Hi Dave.

Is your projector still the Vango? I think we bought our projectors at about the same time but I'm thinking I've got a few more hours on mine.

John.

#566 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormie1360  /t/1283827/japandave-dedicated-theater-build/540#post_23145605

Hi Dave.

Is your projector still the Vango? I think we bought our projectors at about the same time but I'm thinking I've got a few more hours on mine.

John.

Yeah you are correct, you got yours just before me. I still have the Vango and it throws a great picture for sure.

How is your doing?

#567 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave  /t/1283827/japandave-dedicated-theater-build/540#post_23150051

Yeah you are correct, you got yours just before me. I still have the Vango and it throws a great picture for sure.

How is your doing?

Great....no problems, picture is the same as when I turned it on for the first time.

#569 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave  /t/1283827/japandave-dedicated-theater-build/540#post_22874720

I agree absolutely with you there. But remember this is before EQ and only the front 4 subs and is not maxed out. Once I add the 3 back subs to the equation it should smooth that part of the room out (This has been pre-measured and precisely the reason I am adding 3 more of these subs) I have no doubts in my mind that I will most likely have a flat response down to 2hz @ 105db at the main LP. I may even get higher SPL than that. But from 10hz - 80hz should be well over 120db giving me some headroom for EQ.

Thoughts?

Thoughts - Insane! and Awesome!!! just caught up on the build great to see your starting to finally enjoy the room pain free, amazing space look forward to hearing more about your tweaks

#570 ·
Roger,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, ... we ... in some small way, live vicariously through you. Thank you for that.

As an owner of an eight driver sub system myself, I see that there's a plethora of over-the-top sub systems cropping up. However, Dave, your high displacement sub system is matched also in the level of integration and optimization.

Good lookin' out brotha

#571 ·
Hey,I am still waiting on the sound proof doors to be installed. But it should not be long now.

#572 ·
Hi Dave

Just read your whole thread today and congrats on all that you have achieved and your appreciation of quality gear and what it brings.

I am in the throw of starting my first home theatre build in its own dedicated building and had a couple of questions.

My proposed dimensions are very similar to your room and i am trying to get a feel of room size to screen size to seating distance.

I saw your room dimensions and was wandering if the length 22' 3" (6.78m) is from the front of your baffle wall to the back wall?

Your screen size is 14' (4.2m) wide i gather, not diagonal? What height is your screen?

And is it correct that you have one row of seating at 12' (3.6m) from the screen?

cheers

Ian

#574 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig  /t/1283827/japandave-dedicated-theater-build/540#post_23261618

Any progress on second IB build?
I am getting the sound proof doors installed this week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewa  /t/1283827/japandave-dedicated-theater-build/570#post_23261769

Thoughts - Insane! and Awesome!!! just caught up on the build great to see your starting to finally enjoy the room pain free, amazing space look forward to hearing more about your tweaks
Thanks , This means a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH  /t/1283827/japandave-dedicated-theater-build/570#post_23266382

Roger,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, ... we ... in some small way, live vicariously through you. Thank you for that.

As an owner of an eight driver sub system myself, I see that there's a plethora of over-the-top sub systems cropping up. However, Dave, your high displacement sub system is matched also in the level of integration and optimization.

Good lookin' out brotha
Can't wait until I have the full 8 IB subs working!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian13  /t/1283827/japandave-dedicated-theater-build/570#post_23313701

Hi Dave

Just read your whole thread today and congrats on all that you have achieved and your appreciation of quality gear and what it brings.

I am in the throw of starting my first home theatre build in its own dedicated building and had a couple of questions.

My proposed dimensions are very similar to your room and i am trying to get a feel of room size to screen size to seating distance.

I saw your room dimensions and was wandering if the length 22' 3" (6.78m) is from the front of your baffle wall to the back wall?

Your screen size is 14' (4.2m) wide i gather, not diagonal? What height is your screen?

And is it correct that you have one row of seating at 12' (3.6m) from the screen?

cheers

Ian
Yes , the distance to the back wall from the baffle wall is approx 21'. Seating distance is at 10' 7" right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1283827/japandave-dedicated-theater-build/570#post_23391857

Great Build Dave !!!
Thanks.

#576 ·
No nothing yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.