Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtwi View Post
just don't forget the toe in method for waveguides
Thanks for the pointer. I looked briefly for that article before and couldn't find it. It certainly makes sense. I'll give toe-in a try, but I really don't have a lot of room behind the screen. Unless I cut into the drywall behind the screen, hmmmm. I'll have to see how they sound before I start making major modifications.

Quote:
remember, pics or it didn't happen.
Here you go! Only two days for shipping. These appeared on my driveway today:

Of course I couldn't just let them sit in the boxes. Here's a preview:

This is my first time using flat packs. I figure they will save me at least six or eight hours of cutting, routing, making mistakes, cutting, routing, repeat. Kudos to Erich for a great job packing the boxes--not to mention putting the kits together and making them available at a great price. Everything looks great and made the trip with no problem.

I'd put together a build thread, but it'll be too easy to put these things together to warrant a dedicated thread. I'll just post updates here. I'll start crossover and box assembly tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speakers received.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	327738   Click image for larger version

Name:	LCR Boxes.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	327746  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2014, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

88 Special Glue-up and crossover layout

Made good progress today:

Started with box glue-ups. One down, another in progress, one more to go tonight. I used some dominos to help align the sides, and hopefully add a little bit of strength to the box. I didn't get any pictures of the dominoes or joiner, but I'll try to remember to get one later.

I also got the crossovers laid out and glued/tied on to boards. Here's the first one:

And all three in a row:

Tomorrow, I'll finish soldering the crossovers and go for a test drive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LCR Clamping.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	330689   Click image for larger version

Name:	LCR - Single Crossover.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	330697   Click image for larger version

Name:	LCR - Three Crossovers.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	330705  
Old 10-29-2014, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

88 Specials are done

I finished the 88 Specials. Cabinets are all assembled and glued. Crossovers are installed. Everything works like a charm. I used Duratex to finish the speakers and I love it. Here they are sitting in front of the screen. Obviously, that's not their final home. I moved them back behind the screen right after that picture was taken.

I had some real physical challenges to overcome in replacing the in-walls. There's a small alcove behind the screen that's a bit over 6 feet wide and 12 inches deep. So depth was definitely a challenge, as was the ability to toe the speakers in properly. The 88 Specials are only 9 inches deep, so depth is no problem at all. They fit perfectly in the alcove and are completely hidden by the screen. With only a few inches between the left, center, and right speakers, I was worried about the soundstage and imaging. But so far, I'm more than happy with them.

As for how they sound, there's just one word: FANTASTIC! I started by connecting just the right speaker, leaving the left and center channels to be served by the Monoprice in-walls. I knew that speakers with a proper enclosure would have significantly more low end. So I expected increased mid-bass. But I was surprised at how muffled the in-walls sounded in comparison to the 88 special. The SEOS waveguide and compression driver make a world of difference. The mid-bass I was lacking is there now. Highs are clearer. Voices pop off the screen. They integrated just fine with the Lilwrecker.

With all three speakers in place, I calibrated with Audyssey on the Denon. The resulting adjustments to levels show that the Special 88's go pretty far in keeping up with the Lilwrecker setting in the cabinet beneath them. My surrounds need upgrading at some point, but that will wait. I haven't run a lot of movies yet, but the little bit of video content I watched was much more enjoyable with the 88 specials.

I'm just as happy with them for music. So far I've tested them with some jazz, rock, blues, electronic, and even some dubstep. Everything improved. As expected, bad recordings sound horrible. As they should. But good recordings sound remarkably realistic. For the first time, I find myself switching the Denon to Pure Direct mode to eliminate any of the adjustments made by Audyssey. The speakers sound excellent without adjustments on a lot of material.

I wish I had room for a full set of 1099s, but I don't. The 88 Specials are just about perfectly suited to the space limitations of my theater. The moral of the story: If you don't have room for the big guys, I highly recommend looking at the 88 Specials.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LCR - Complete.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	339945  
DavidK442 likes this.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I'm happy you like your 88's! The SEOS designs are awesome, can't wait to upgrade mine next year.

Excellent job on your crossovers & speaker finish - they look great!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Schmidt Haus Theater - WIP (or not) since 2010