Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post

I love it when you talk dirty like that

LOL!

this post made my day

Matt

"The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live." - George Carlin
post #633 of 1772 Old 04-04-2011, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Haha well said Mr. White!

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #634 of 1772 Old 04-05-2011, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I researched Carlon Resi-Gard quite a bit yesterday and found: expensive. Shipping: MORE EXPENSIVE ($35+) . Ridiculous, in fact. So, 2 questions:

1 - Does anyone have an extra 15-20 feet they want to sell to me?

2 - If that doesn't work out, what about using Carlon Carflex? Any reason not to? I was at least able to find that stuff locally, so I could get that for ~$60 (still about $2.75/foot ).

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #635 of 1772 Old 04-05-2011, 12:33 PM

Liked: 12
I believe I bought some of mine from Mathes Electric on ebay- shipping was reasonable

here's their ebay page - but you can just call them
http://myworld.ebay.com/matheselectr...id=p4340.l2559

post #636 of 1772 Old 04-05-2011, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow thanks jesto - that's a great find. I didn't see it on their ebay site so I gave them a call and they were very helpful. Their price was equivalent to the best one I have found so far...now I just have to go home and be sure I can get away with 1.25" for a HDMI, component, and Cat6 cable...

Thanks again!

I have been doing a lot of head scratching today as to how I'm going to organize all of the wall plates...I think I have it figured out and will be able to stuff them into 2 big backer boxes...one for power receptacles and one for A/V cables...my head hurts from thinking too much!

post #637 of 1772 Old 04-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBenji View Post

Wow thanks jesto - that's a great find. I didn't see it on their ebay site so I gave them a call and they were very helpful. Their price was equivalent to the best one I have found so far...now I just have to go home and be sure I can get away with 1.25" for a HDMI, component, and Cat6 cable...

Thanks again!

I have been doing a lot of head scratching today as to how I'm going to organize all of the wall plates...I think I have it figured out and will be able to stuff them into 2 big backer boxes...one for power receptacles and one for A/V cables...my head hurts from thinking too much!

sometimes it's easier just to draw it out. that's what I do for complex wiring..

although when it gets too complex excel spreadsheet and micrsoft visio come to the rescue... lol

Matt

"The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live." - George Carlin
post #638 of 1772 Old 04-05-2011, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So after wasting waaaay more than $100 worth of my time today trying to find the cheapo way to do the conduit thing, I decided to bite the bullet and spend $100 on an orange tube. I'm going to get the 1.5" stuff and I think I only have to put a hole through one or maybe two joists, so hopefully not the end of the world.

I also finally pulled the trigger on an IR system tonight. I'm figuring I'll have it as backup in case I end up hating iRule. Plus, the IR emitters are compatible with the iRule global cache (I think?), or at least that's how I'm justifying my purchase. Hopefully when this stuff gets here, I'll be able to get back to serious business in the basement...

post #639 of 1772 Old 04-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

and here I was thinking buying the gear and checking out gear and talking about gear and all that was the serious business :P hehe

Matt

post #640 of 1772 Old 04-05-2011, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ha yeah you're right Matt - I'll stop whining about silly conduit now. I have been trying to be conservative where I can on these smaller items because I know I have still have a solid $10K+ in gear to buy in the near future! Then we can talk about the "serious" part of this hobby...and you can be sure, I'm looking forward to it!

post #641 of 1772 Old 04-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

lol!!

post #642 of 1772 Old 04-06-2011, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just an FYI for those looking for the orange tube (Carlon Resi-Gard)...you can go to www.carlonsales.com, which puts you in touch with Gross Automation. They had good prices, low shipping, and excellent/knowledgeable customer service. Sort of long lead time at about 7 business days, but other than that, very pleased.

Check back soon...about to tackle my last significant project before insulation and drywall...and guess what...I need your help! (Shocking, I know. )

post #643 of 1772 Old 04-06-2011, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK so here's the last significant project: I need to move the HVAC duct you see below to the other side of the beam and replace the metal with flex.

Here's the question: Do I need reducers in here?

My Current Plan: 8" flex coming from the furnace...8" Tee to split into dining room and office lines...reducers (down to 7" duct) on the two sides of the tee going up to each of the return registers.

What do you guys think??

THANKS!

Here's the current situation: The round duct on the right is 7", then it feeds into the box, which is obviously a little bigger, joins up with the return from the dining room, and then they both go down the joist bay on the far left back to the furnace.

post #644 of 1772 Old 04-10-2011, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now you see it....

Now you don't!

Estimate from contractor: $320
DIY materials cost: ~$60
Savings to me: $260! Then add that I gained a little knowledge and have the satisfaction of saying I did it myself...

Here are some pics from the process.

First I yanked out the metal trunk from the office that led back to the box...its amazing how dusty and gross those things get...and my allergies are still on fire from this! The people who owned the house before me had cats that I was verrrry allergic to...when I bought the house I had those carpet shampoo guys come and do the entire house twice and had every wall and floor cleaned...argh that was a pain in the butt...

Then I pulled out the old panning (which had an incredibly poorly cut bottom take-off) and cut new stuff to replace it with...I'm not sure I got the right collar though. This is what the guy at the store said I needed but I thought flex collars were a little longer...oh well, I can always add a little metal to the end of that if it slips off in the future.

Here's the collar...

I sealed up some of the other panning with silicon too while I was at it. You can see how bad some of it was from this pic...the system must have been running incredibly inefficiently because of stuff like this. I saw it in lots of places, so I think that may be one of my summer jobs...go around and seal all this up...I have a feeling it will help a lot...

I guess I didn't take a pic of the finished office line, but you can see most of the final result here. I will build a soffit in this room to hide that duct when I get around to building my "grand entrance" to the theater.

Electrician coming back this week to do a few more things...almost ready for insulation and drywall!

post #645 of 1772 Old 04-10-2011, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Awesome. That's why you DIY.

Current HT: HTPC-->Epson 5010 projector-->135" screen, BFM TLAHs x7 & THT

post #646 of 1772 Old 04-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

very nice, looks pro!!!

Matt

post #647 of 1772 Old 04-10-2011, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Good job with the duct.

Floyd

post #648 of 1772 Old 04-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Nicely done!

(Currently on Pause)
post #649 of 1772 Old 04-10-2011, 07:24 PM

Liked: 10
The ductwork looks great! Nicely done.

Chris

New House, New Wife, Hello Basement!!!
post #650 of 1772 Old 04-10-2011, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for all the kind words guys! This was definitely the most significant project I have taken on around the house to date, so I'm really glad to have it behind me!

Believe it or not, I have another pic update from today! I have been staring at a bunch of loose ends lately and they have been bothering me, so I am trying to knock them out one by one. I put the finishing touches on the last backer box tonight...

My conduit should be coming on Wednesday and then I can finish up the LV cables...one step closer to drywall!

post #651 of 1772 Old 04-11-2011, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Great job on the duct AND getting the backer boxes completed. You made a lot of progress this weekend.

post #652 of 1772 Old 04-11-2011, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Nick! I'm feeling very re-energized right now to move along on this build...here's my updated punch list before drywall:

1 - DONE - Backer Boxes
2 - DONE - Move HVAC Duct
3 - Finish LV Cabling (waiting on FedEx to bring me overpriced orange tubes) (this week)
4 - Fix a few studs that are doing the twist and re-level the wall underneath that stip of clips/channel. (this weekend)
5 - Have electrician add 2 more zones of lights and some more outlets (for code)
6 - Insulate
7 - Drywall!

post #653 of 1772 Old 04-11-2011, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Where did you order your conduit from?

post #654 of 1772 Old 04-11-2011, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got all of the 0.75" blue smurf tube at HD.

The 1.5" orange Resi-Gard came (is coming) from www.carlonsales.com. I believe Carlon sales just redirects you to www.grossautomation.com. I spoke with Kristina there - they were very helpful and competitive price-wise. Their price may have been $5-10 higher than others, but shipping was cheap.

Now I'm going back to reading your thread...

post #655 of 1772 Old 04-12-2011, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I know this happens all the time, buttt........I am considering a revision to my plan.

I have been really excited for a scope screen since the beginning of the build, but my room is really width limited. In 2.35:1 setup, the screen will be about 115" diagonal, which I think will be great. But that means that for 16:9 material, my screen will only be about 94" diagonal.

I went to AndreasMergner's house last week and he has a 135" diagonal 16:9 screen. My eyes almost popped out. That size is most-likely too big for me, but I think I need to land somewhere between 94" and 135". This means that I'm considering switching to a 16:9 screen. And I am blaming part of this on Andreas

Dennis is going to hate me.

I don't know how significant of a revision this is going to be, or if it is even feasible. I don't pretend to understand viewing angles or riser height etc. but I'm thinking that I may ask Dennis to help me with revising my plan to a 16:9 screen. (I'm pretty confident that it's quite a bit more complicated than simply plopping a 16:9 screen up there instead of 2.35:1.) This way I'll still get a good sized 2.35:1 image (although I will have to deal with letterboxing) and the 16:9 image size will be much more satisfactory.

Trying to emphasize the positive...I haven't built the riser or screen wall yet.

One other problem this may fix is my projector location issue. I have a pretty long throw distance for my projector price range (~22' and somewhere around/under $7K). I was going to have to put the projector in the room as opposed to back in the equipment room because I couldn't project a small enough 16:9 image from that far away. If I increase the 16:9 image size, I think I should be able to get the PJ back into the equipment room (although I also have to consider (aka learn about) light output and whether I can locate the PJ that far back). That's a big positive for me. When I was at Andreas' house, I was totally impressed with the quietness of his room (even though he has his PJ in the room...but his PJ is much quieter than my current turbo-prop).

post #656 of 1772 Old 04-12-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh no, now Dennis going to hate me too!

Ben, how wide is your room? It has to be more than 11 feet wide. Why can't you get a wider scope screen in there?

I think if the bottom of the screen is lowered, then you have to change your riser height. I think Dennis also doesn't like to get the top of the screen too close to the ceiling because of light reflections.

Whatever PJ you go with will be even quieter than mine, so you may not NEED to put it in the equipment room.

post #657 of 1772 Old 04-12-2011, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Andreas -
The room is actually about 14' wide, but then I have that annoying cement column that sticks out about 7". That ends up killing about 24" of width near the screen (12" on either side). Then I believe the rule is that the screen shouldn't be more than 80% of room width, leaving me with about 9.5' useable width for the screen.

post #658 of 1772 Old 04-12-2011, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

So why wouldn't you use 80% of the 14' since that is the room width? ...and I have heard the 80% rule before, but why is that a rule (that CAN'T be broken). I have not ever read the reason for the rule.

post #659 of 1772 Old 04-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

hush boxes for pj's work pretty well, you wouldn't necessarily have to do multiple layers of material and green glue. though the issue of venting the pj exhaust would come into play... just more stuff to think about and bug dennis about.

Matt

post #660 of 1772 Old 04-12-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good question AM, and I'm not sure of the correct answer. I just asked Dennis for his input and I will report back, or maybe he can chime in here. With his permission, I'll also post the screen wall plan so you can see exactly how that column throws a wrench in the works...

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page