As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have three mini projects within this build that I am working on in parallel: False Wall; Screen; Columns.
I am waiting for the screen material from Seymour AV (XD material) and I have completed the false wall. I am waiting for the in-wall speakers to arrive so I can rough cut and finish the columns.
In any event, for this post I'll focus on the screen frame and the false wall.
Initially contemplated what Brad did here
and buying the frame from Jamestown and using the XD material from Seymour AV.
I decided against it because my frame required a bit more customization due to the angled ceiling. You can see in the design below that I need the top edges to be angled which allows me to have the screen high enough for the visibility from second row seating.
4' X 8' X 3/4" Hardwood plywood
4 L brackets
2 Straight brackets
#10 3/4" wood screws
Kregs Jig pocket screws
Microvelvet (Jo-Ann Fabric - the $27/yard stuff)
3/8" staples ( a bunch)
Cost: (with screen material on order) about $400 - $450
The screen is not 100% complete, but the frame is done for the most part. There are several documented screen build threads so I will give the cliff notes version.
The plywood was ripped in 3" width X 8' pieces and cut to length based on the plan. Pocket holes drilled with Kregs jig on any joint edges.
The screen was pre-assempled with pocket screws and braces at each joint to ensure proper size, fit, and squareness. The long sides were built with equal length smaller pieces pocket screwed, glued, and braced.
The screen was disassembled and the top corners of each side piece were cut to match the ceiling angle. Then each piece (4 separate pieces) wrapped in velvet and stapled. The frame was then reassemble using pocket screws and braces. (Picture a bit further down in this post). Piano hinges (2) were attached along the top edge. these will hold the screen up and allow for the screen to be swung open.
False Wall fabric:
I am utilizing fabric frames that are attached to the false wall for the screen wall. I was debating quite a bit on whether I wanted acoustically transparent fabric for the false wall for flexibility in speaker placement. Ultimately I decided on going with the AT screen right away, so I decided to use micro-velvet: boy is it nice material.
4' X 8' X3/4" hardwood plywood (cut in 1 3/4" wide 8' lengths)
9 yards microvelvet
3/8" staples (a boat load)
Heavy Duty Grill Guides (from parts express) 9 bags
Cost: about $200
Don't really have in progress pics of this, but basically there was a lot of measuring and cutting. the angles created a bit of a challenge, but ultimately came together.
The frames were put together with pocket screws and glue. And all put together (dry fit) before adding the fabric. (Notice the screen frame is up there as well)
And how did he attache those to the wall framing you ask ... with these of course:
Once all fit in place, all frames were taken down, wrapped in fabric and stapled.
Here is the product thus far without the screen material. Color is a little off because my point and shoot doesn't do so well in low lit rooms. the walls are a deep burgundy.