Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 151 Old 11-11-2011, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Micro fiber velvet from JoAnns too? Did you bevel the screen frame?

Looking really good too.

post #93 of 151 Old 11-11-2011, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

Micro fiber velvet from JoAnns too? Did you bevel the screen frame?

Looking really good too.

Yup from JoAnns. Nope no bevel - I am not 100% complete with the screen frame. I haven't decided yet, but I may add another 3/4" depth so that it sticks out a little further from the screen wall - right now it is flush.... not sure yet. Thanks for the compliment.
post #94 of 151 Old 11-11-2011, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Looking good!

Thanks ... getting anxious because I can see the finish line
post #95 of 151 Old 11-22-2011, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Ok made a bit of progress since I last posted.

First off, I bought my front three speakers. I went with 3 Aperion intimus 5T towers
for the LCR. - My initial impressions are WOW ... crystal clear sound and they haven't been broken in yet. They are plenty powerful enough for my room.

I also bought my four in-wall speakers ( to go into the columns). I initially wanted to go with the Aperion, but they were out of stock (transitioning to a new version) and I was too impatient.... so I went with HTD (Home Theater Direct HD inwalls. From my initial tests they sound good for the purpose of side surrounds. Incidentally, Aperion has just listed their new in-walls . I have 30 days for the HTD if I want to return and go with the Aperion - but right now from my initial trials I see no reason to return the HTD's

My goal is to have a 7.2 with 9 speakers - so the 4 sides will all play the same. I have yet to decide on Subs or back surrounds.

Secondly, the columns are completed. Well, almost - I just need to add baseboard to the entire room - including the bottom of the columns.

So I may have mentioned that there are 6 columns in the room. The front columns are purely aesthetic and for room symmetry. The back columns will house 4 side surround in-wall speakers.

With this in mind, I had to design the column so that the speaker cloth could cover the fronts of the speakers. So here is progress pics with the final results. These continue from an earlier post where I had the intitial build photos.

Cove molding to soften the transition to the base of the column

Column primed with hole cut in for speaker.

Fabric frame for speaker cloth attached

Painted column and fabric frame attached (this is one of the front columns which is why there is not hole.

Columns on one side of the theater - no frames but you can see the holes for the speakers. As you can see, I had to add a 5/8" thick case molding to the column in order to raise the fabric frame above the front of the speaker once installed.

Three columns on one side - two with speakers installed.

Finished product with fabric:
One side:

The Other:

I also have the screen completed and installed - but I'll post that with pics in the near future.
post #96 of 151 Old 11-26-2011, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

In parallel with completing the columns, I was also finishing up the screen/ screen wall.

The screen material is the centerstage XD from Seymour AV that Chris precision cut for me. Nothing fancy with the attachment - good ol staples.

Here are some photos:

Laying the screen out over the frame.

Shots of the screen up and hanging:

My father in law is up for the holiday and I was able to take some photos with his camera - which is nicer and does better in low light (I'm still lobbying for a DLSR for XMAS ). Here are some shots of the screen wall from the entry way:

On to the A/V Rack ...
post #97 of 151 Old 11-26-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Looking good!

I like the choice in screen aspect and matierial (same as what I'm planning), but I don't see any provision for masking. Is that a final decision?
post #98 of 151 Old 11-26-2011, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

Looking good!

I like the choice in screen aspect and matierial (same as what I'm planning), but I don't see any provision for masking. Is that a final decision?

Thanks.

Hadn't really planned for masking right now. We'll see - if not having masking bothers me with the 1.78 stuff, I'll figure it out then
post #99 of 151 Old 11-26-2011, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Looking real nice MJ! You've got a "wall o' screen" there just begging to please
post #100 of 151 Old 11-26-2011, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotto View Post

Looking real nice MJ! You've got a "wall o' screen" there just begging to please

Thanks Floyd. Just saw the final photos of your theater and it looks great with the wall o' screen you have !!

I will be giving a good test of the system within the next week or so and will try to post shots of the screen with movie images.
post #101 of 151 Old 12-04-2011, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Did you end up returing thr htd inwalls? If nothow do they sound?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #102 of 151 Old 12-04-2011, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 727
This is an evil thread. I have a giant walk in, floored attic that's not being used. I didn't need this idea in my head

It's looking great!

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #103 of 151 Old 12-05-2011, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Did you end up returing thr htd inwalls? If nothow do they sound?

Nope - kept them and they sound great for the surrounds. I was a bit concerned when I tested them before they were installed, but once I got them in the wall they are doing great and hold their own. No regrets and I would do it again and would even consider other HTD products.
post #104 of 151 Old 12-05-2011, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

This is an evil thread. I have a giant walk in, floored attic that's not being used. I didn't need this idea in my head

It's looking great!

Heh Heh - come on over to the dark side
post #105 of 151 Old 12-05-2011, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

Some progress has been made over the last couple weeks. Thanksgiving got in the way but I was able to get some stuff done. My focus has been on the A/V closet for the most part - which is not finished yet. (I will post progress photos soon).

What I was able to finish was mounting of my projector. I have an Mits HC4900 from the last theater build that I have installed. I will eventually upgrade, but this projector will fit the bill for now and the picture looks excellent. For the 2.4 ratio I am using the zoom method.

I bought the peerless PRG mount which works great.

I also bought 2 new subs. I was debating on the subwoofers I wanted and was leaning towards HSU, SVS, and Outlaw. Then I receive an e-mail from Newegg with a sale - on the Klipsch reference RW-12D subwoofers. The price was incredible and after looking through the reviews - I pulled the trigger.

Now many might poo poo the Klipsch and say I should have gone with one of the others. First, I am planning to build my own in the future - so I didn't want to pay a mint on a commercial Sub only to be replaced in a year. Second, the use will be strictly HT so I do not need to pay the extra premium for music quality sound. Third, these subs hit HARD! I haven't run any measurements but these subs hit hard, loud , and deep. Don't know what the true extension is, but they make the whole room shake!

Here's a little story regarding the theater sound so far. My father was visiting for Thanksgiving. I was able to demo the theater for him - no seats yet so we sat on the edge of the riser. The projector, 7 of the 9 speakers, and subs were in. Put in Transformers 2 and played the last couple scenes (battle at the end of the movie). Couple of parts there is some low frequency (I'd guess in the 20 + hz region) and the vibration just runs right through him. At the end of the demo, he stands up rubbing his arms and says "wholly sh%t I felt that go right through me. Went right up one sleeve and out the other."

All I could say was "Sweet"

Overall though, I am very happy with the sound quality of all my speakers. The Aperions do a nice job with the sound stage - crisp, clear vocals, great overall sound. The surround in walls from HTD hold their own and immerse you, and the subs hit hard and tight. Right now, I also have a pair of JBL balconies for the rears (I will be upgrading for Christmas) to complete the 9 speakers plus the 2 subs.
post #106 of 151 Old 12-05-2011, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Looking great. Those subs seem to fit perfect in your side walls.

Have you decided on seats yet? Also, if I remember you are having the equipment rack in the room in he back corner, what kind of ventilation are you going to do for the equipment closet? If any.

post #107 of 151 Old 12-05-2011, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I did have a limitation on Sub size due to the way I designed the cutouts, but its worked out for me.

No decision on the seats yet although I contacted Roman (RSH) a bit ago on pricing for his new fusion line. I would really like to test the seats out first if possible - then I have no problem ordering online. Much more difficult to return seating online if I am not happy with the product.

The AV rack does not have ventilation right now, but the back is open to another room at the moment. I plan on closing it in with a door (hopefully louvered). If the ventilation is not enough, I will retrofit a fan system directing the airflow into an adjacent closet or room.

Pictures of the AV closet to come soon ...
post #108 of 151 Old 12-05-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Can't wait.....how do the subs sound with them being inset into the walls? Did you put something around them to make them like a inwall sub, or just set them in?

post #109 of 151 Old 12-05-2011, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

Can't wait.....how do the subs sound with them being inset into the walls? Did you put something around them to make them like a inwall sub, or just set them in?

Just set them in. They are front firing, front ported and sound fantastic... to my ears. I imagine it would be different if the port fired down or out the back, but my plan all along was to get a front firing/ported or a front firing/sealed sub.

I'll try to get some progress pics of the closet up tonight or tomorrow.
post #110 of 151 Old 12-06-2011, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

The A/V rack/Closet has been a work in progress since the beginning of the build. I had framed it very early and ran all wiring to terminate in the closet.

I have been focusing more attention on the rack and closet of late. this is 100% DIY so I did not buy a commercial rack. Instead I am using MDF for shelving and racking system typically used in closets (metal track and metal arms that slip into slots).

Closet is not complete - I still have to wire management, trim it out, add face plates, and add a rear access door but here are the progress pics thus far.

I think this one might be earlier in the post somewhere, but here is the original cutout for the recessed rack.

Anther earlier pic.

Pic from behind closet with the vertical support and shelf brackets to be used.

Pic from behind with unfinished shelving.

Pic from the front with unfinished shelving.

I painted the shelving black and started loading up with equipment. Still need to finish up with wire management. There are a few empty spaces for future components (particularly a couple amps I'm targeting),

From behind:

Front View:

post #111 of 151 Old 12-09-2011, 07:58 AM

Your build is really looking great! I am really enjoying your thread.

I am new so can not post a link... but check out the Tanner Ridge Cinema Construction Thread ...somewhere around page 8... You could easilly adapt his really nice A/V rack into your design.

Keep up the great work!

Jay
post #112 of 151 Old 12-09-2011, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT1AW View Post

Your build is really looking great! I am really enjoying your thread.

I am new so can not post a link... but check out the Tanner Ridge Cinema Construction Thread ...somewhere around page 8... You could easilly adapt his really nice A/V rack into your design.

Keep up the great work!

Jay

Thanks for the compliment and the heads up on the thread. That thread is one of the several that I have used for inspiration. When I originally planned to do a DIY rack, that was the one I was modeling after. There is another one or two (and I cant remember right now which one) that also used 1/4" (I believe) plywood or underlayment as the faceplate. Once painted flat black it is difficult (at least through photos) to tell the difference between the aluminum and the wood. I may go the wood route first ... then if I don't like the outcome, do the aluminum route.
post #113 of 151 Old 12-19-2011, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

well, spent a majority of my theater time doing some finishing type work. added molding around the sub cubby's and A/V rack closet. Also cut and installed all the baseboard moldings.

Materials:
48 linear ft. 5 1/4" X 1/2" MDF baseboard
12 linear ft. pine molding
16 linear ft case molding
finishing nails
black paint

Cost: roughly $80

All in all, I think the baseboard and the moldings really pull everything together. the theater is useable and I have tested the sound and the picture and so far I am very pleased. I will try to get some screen shots up, but my camera does not do very well with that - so we'll see.

Progress/pictures:
As you can see here, the case molding around the AV rack closet is installed and painted. Baseboard cut and dry fitted.

More baseboard dry fitted:

Baseboard painted and attached to the wall:

closer-up pic of one column:

Another of the AV rack closet:

Entry Door - I have additional plans for the door in the future, but for now here it is painted.

Next up: (not necessarily in this order)
Move candy stand and popcorn machine in room
Install AV closet door
Install sound treatment panels on walls
purchase and install theater seats
purchase and install dimmers
post #114 of 151 Old 12-19-2011, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Nice job! Looks very nice.
post #115 of 151 Old 12-19-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

post #116 of 151 Old 12-19-2011, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Your whole theater looks great...very good detail work. I really like how your DIY rack turned out. The finished trim sets it all off.

Dale
post #117 of 151 Old 12-19-2011, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmiller View Post

Your whole theater looks great...very good detail work. I really like how your DIY rack turned out. The finished trim sets it all off.

Dale

Thanks Dale. The AV rack/closet is not complete yet. I will eventually be installing face plates as well - once I get all my components. I think that will really pull it all together.
post #118 of 151 Old 12-26-2011, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Watched my first full movie in the theater last night - cowboys vs. aliens. How can I do that without seats you ask .... here is your answer.

Decided to go with RSH fusion Lagoon seats. 2 rows 3 seats. I will be posting my review in the seat section and will update the link here. Lets just say they are very comfortable and well worth the price!

I ordered the seats on Tuesday and they arrived on Thursday in six separate boxes:

I unpacked all the chairs in the garage and had a buddy help me carry them upstairs to the theater. They aren't really that heavy each, but you do need two to maneuver because they are to bulky for one person. The tops are separate from the bottoms which make it easier to move around.

So we got all the bottoms in place:

Then attached all the tops:

Oh by the way, I also moved my candy stand and popcorn machine into the room:

Ok so I still owe you all screen shots and I will do that soon. I also still have to install the door for the AV closet, fabric panels to the walls, light dimmers, and improve the entry door.
post #119 of 151 Old 12-26-2011, 08:10 AM

Liked: 11
Your room looks fantastic! I (I guess I should say we........wife would be upset if I didn't include her in the decision process ) have our eyes on a large two-story house for possible purchase that has a similar loft design above the three car garage area. Your thread has provided some great possibilities of what can be done with the space should we decide to move forward. Again, your theater looks great!! Enjoy..............
post #120 of 151 Old 12-26-2011, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman6079 View Post

Your room looks fantastic! I (I guess I should say we........wife would be upset if I didn't include her in the decision process ) have our eyes on a large two-story house for possible purchase that has a similar loft design above the three car garage area. Your thread has provided some great possibilities of what can be done with the space should we decide to move forward. Again, your theater looks great!! Enjoy..............

Thanks! We were in the same boat not so long ago and it was a must to have a house that had a room for the theater. Last house, I had it in the basement, so this was a little different .. but as long as you have a vision and motivation, you can make it work.

Good luck and be sure to post progress when you get to that point.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page