post #121 of 152 Old 12-27-2011, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just a few updates.

First, here is a major contribution from my wife

Damn they look comfy!

Also, just ordered the dual band insteon dimmers. should arrive by the end of the week.

Any recommendations for an IR blaster/repeater if I decide to go that route? Preferably on the utilizes Cat5 or better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 152 Old 12-27-2011, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
So close...!

post #123 of 152 Old 12-27-2011, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

So close...!

Yep - getting there. Mostly smaller projects at this point.

post #124 of 152 Old 01-02-2012, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Received the insteon and installed. Went with three dual band and one relay. The three dual band dimmers control the main lights in the room. The relay switch controls the rope lighting in the crown molding. I haven't programmed them yet but they are pretty cool so far. Here are some pics:

I will ultimately get the Central Controller or ISY99 so I can control the lights via the web/smart device.

Also, my original plan was to build my own fabric wall panels. My wife surprised me with one of these:

From pier one. They are painted canvas and about 1.5" thick. I really like the look and I think is a bit classy/ ol' school in design.
They also have this:

Plan is to add rigid insulation within the frame and hang them on the wall in between the columns.

So I went back to pier one and bought enough for two of each. The pictures do not do justice to the room, but here is some updated photos. (I really really need a better camera - yes I'm working on it ).

Oh by the way .. candy stand is filled:

Still working on the punch list and will continue to update as I go.

post #125 of 152 Old 01-03-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalJet View Post

Received the insteon and installed. Went with three dual band and one relay. The three dual band dimmers control the main lights in the room. The relay switch controls the rope lighting in the crown molding. I haven't programmed them yet but they are pretty cool so far. Here are some pics:

I will ultimately get the Central Controller or ISY99 so I can control the lights via the web/smart device.

Also, my original plan was to build my own fabric wall panels. My wife surprised me with one of these:

From pier one. They are painted canvas and about 1.5" thick. I really like the look and I think is a bit classy/ ol' school in design.
They also have this:

Plan is to add rigid insulation within the frame and hang them on the wall in between the columns.

So I went back to pier one and bought enough for two of each. The pictures do not do justice to the room, but here is some updated photos. (I really really need a better camera - yes I'm working on it ).

Oh by the way .. candy stand is filled:

Still working on the punch list and will continue to update as I go.

How do you like your seating arrangement where it sits off to the one side? Does that bother you?

post #126 of 152 Old 01-03-2012, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
real nice work. I have subscribed to your thread, so that I can refer back to your build when I am ready.
We will be looking for houses this summer, and I really would like to have basement for theater set up. However, they are difficult to come by in NC. But they almost always have a room of your style..so after looking at your theater, I am quite committed to build one (or have some one help me build one, because I am not too good with construction material).

Nice job...
post #127 of 152 Old 01-03-2012, 01:50 PM

Liked: 11
Looks great. Love the choice of Insteon. It's easy, effective and can be utilized in larger and more complex "scenes" if you choose. I forgot they had black !
post #128 of 152 Old 01-03-2012, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drriddhish View Post

real nice work. I have subscribed to your thread, so that I can refer back to your build when I am ready.
We will be looking for houses this summer, and I really would like to have basement for theater set up. However, they are difficult to come by in NC. But they almost always have a room of your style..so after looking at your theater, I am quite committed to build one (or have some one help me build one, because I am not too good with construction material).

Nice job...

I had a bsement build in the last house and this one is a room above the garage. There are pros to each, but ultimately if you are committed, you can get most rooms to work. A prerequisite for the house in NC was a room that could be converted. Good luck, research a lot, and ask questions before starting any project if you are unsure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuudogg View Post

Looks great. Love the choice of Insteon. It's easy, effective and can be utilized in larger and more complex "scenes" if you choose. I forgot they had black !

Thanks and I'm liking them. I haven't set up any scenes yet, but that is coming. I like having full control and flexibility that insteon offers. The black is nice!

post #129 of 152 Old 01-03-2012, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

How do you like your seating arrangement where it sits off to the one side? Does that bother you?

Works well for us and we like it. The sweet spot are the left most seats. We really wanted the space on one side to walk by without maneuvering around the seats plus the seats do not block the entry (when you first walk in the backs are not right there). I probably would have centered if I did not have the angled ceilings to deal with, but I am happy with how it turned out. The curve configuration helps a little as well since the seats are pointed towards the center line - more so than a straight configuration

post #130 of 152 Old 02-02-2012, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Well its been a little bit since my last update. Unfortunately I haven't taken any screenshots yet ...

But couple updates.

1) Bought and installed the IRlinc for my insteon lighting. Works like a charm with the scene settings and now my Harmony 1 controls the lighting along with all the audio and video. So know when I start the movie (hit play) the lights dim to off. When I hit pause, certain lights come on to a certain level (set to a slow speed so not to blind you ). And when I hit the stop button, another scene with all the lights come on to a certain level at a set speed. All in all its such a cool effect and convenient.

2) Upgraded my rear speakers to the Aperion 4BP. They do a wonderful job and the rear surrounds now have an unbelievable sound stage. They are also take up less space than previous and are less intrusive. Highly recommend. Here are some pics:

3) I've ordered and received the components for my HTPC build. (See my HTPC build Thread - Link at Bottom). I'll post pictures of the final result here, but keep the progress photos in the HTPC build thread.

post #131 of 152 Old 02-08-2012, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the final product in the rack.

Now - the fun part - installing all the software needed to rip and play. So WMC, XBMC, MPC-HC? - oh my.

Any recommendations here?

post #132 of 152 Old 02-08-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Forgot. I use MakeMKV to rip all my media to MKV files. He has a guide in this too!!

post #133 of 152 Old 02-08-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I use WMC combined with MediaBrowser. Assassin in the HTPC has a great thread and also guides on how to set it up are on his website. (small fee but well worth it!)

Research is already done and they are great.

post #134 of 152 Old 02-08-2012, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I use WMC combined with MediaBrowser. Assassin in the HTPC has a great thread and also guides on how to set it up are on his website. (small fee but well worth it!)

Research is already done and they are great.

Thanks for this. This is what I've been leaning towards.

post #135 of 152 Old 02-28-2012, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Everyone.

Been busy setting up my HTPC and media application. Ultimately went with XBMC due to the flexibility and the fact that it now supports HD Audio bitstreaming.

Anyway on to the interesting part .... Photos. Hopefully the quality is a little better. Utilized my tripod and low light settings.

Updated room photos

Some screenshots:

post #136 of 152 Old 02-28-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Congrats again on the completion of your room.

Now time to pick your brain and steal some ideas. Can you give me more details on your lighting and how you wired everything including the IR repeater?

I see you used some Insteon Dimmers, but I have never wired anything before and l am looking for a simple and cheap solution.

post #137 of 152 Old 02-29-2012, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Congrats again on the completion of your room.

Now time to pick your brain and steal some ideas. Can you give me more details on your lighting and how you wired everything including the IR repeater?

I see you used some Insteon Dimmers, but I have never wired anything before and l am looking for a simple and cheap solution.

The Insteons worked out great. I have installed 3 dual band dimmers (for the can lights) and one on/off switchlink (for the rope lighting behind the crown). Once installed, the communicate with each other pretty well. To get the IR remotes to work with the insteon, I bought and installed the irlinc receiver. Not sure what detail you want but here it is:

Electrical:
I have access to the attic above and behind the walls on the side, so I was able to rewire basically everything without ripping out all the sheet rock. The electrical wiring for the lighting is coming off a dedicated 20 amp circuit out of the box (in garage) to a 3 gang box for the dimmers. From here, there are three zones wired out to the can lights (3 dimmers). Each zone has 3 can lights (left, right, front). I have a separate 15 amp circuit from the box that is wired to a junction box in an unfinished room that shares part of a wall with the theater. This circuit is split for a couple things, one of them is a wire run to a single gang box (on/off switch) for the rope lighting. The wire is then run from the switch two outlets, wired in series, behind the screen wall- one on the left and one on the right (These outlets are where the rope lighting is plugged in). These outlets are wired to be controlled by the on/off switch.

Insteon:
The dimmers and switches install like a regular light switch. The do need the neutral wired connected however. Thats it for them! they communicate with each other through the electrical wiring and (if dual band) RF. I also installed the IRlinc receiver. This takes IR signals and converts to the RF that the dual band insteon dimmers can use. For me, it enables my Harmony One to control my lighting.

IR Repeater:
I went with an IR repeater that utilizes CAT5 to carry the IR signal to the repeater box (here). So I have the receiver behind the screen wall (with the ir eye squeezed between the screen frame and the screen wall so it is slightly protruding into the theater). You cannot see the ir eye at all unless you know its there and you are a few inches away. The receiver is then plugged into a CAT5 outlet and to an electrical outlet (different one than the one that controls the rope lighting). The CAT5 outlet is wired to another Cat5 outlet in my A/V closet where the IR repeater box is connected. The IR emitters are then run from the repeater box to each of the components - including the IRLinc.

The end result is that I point my Harmony One at the front and control all my components and the lighting (even though they are behind me). I can set scenes and use sequences with the Harmony for certain events. For example, when I hit play, the movie will start and the lights will go out, when I hit pause, the lights slowly come on the a set point. When I hit stop, the lights come on the another set point. It's actually pretty cool.

The only component not controlled by the IR repeater is the projector. I rely on the screen to reflect the IR signal to the projector. Works like a charm.

Hope this helps - let me know if you need any more detail.

post #138 of 152 Old 03-09-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalJet View Post

The Insteons worked out great. I have installed 3 dual band dimmers (for the can lights) and one on/off switchlink (for the rope lighting behind the crown). Once installed, the communicate with each other pretty well. To get the IR remotes to work with the insteon, I bought and installed the irlinc receiver. Not sure what detail you want but here it is:

Electrical:
I have access to the attic above and behind the walls on the side, so I was able to rewire basically everything without ripping out all the sheet rock. The electrical wiring for the lighting is coming off a dedicated 20 amp circuit out of the box (in garage) to a 3 gang box for the dimmers. From here, there are three zones wired out to the can lights (3 dimmers). Each zone has 3 can lights (left, right, front). I have a separate 15 amp circuit from the box that is wired to a junction box in an unfinished room that shares part of a wall with the theater. This circuit is split for a couple things, one of them is a wire run to a single gang box (on/off switch) for the rope lighting. The wire is then run from the switch two outlets, wired in series, behind the screen wall- one on the left and one on the right (These outlets are where the rope lighting is plugged in). These outlets are wired to be controlled by the on/off switch.

Insteon:
The dimmers and switches install like a regular light switch. The do need the neutral wired connected however. Thats it for them! they communicate with each other through the electrical wiring and (if dual band) RF. I also installed the IRlinc receiver. This takes IR signals and converts to the RF that the dual band insteon dimmers can use. For me, it enables my Harmony One to control my lighting.

IR Repeater:
I went with an IR repeater that utilizes CAT5 to carry the IR signal to the repeater box (here). So I have the receiver behind the screen wall (with the ir eye squeezed between the screen frame and the screen wall so it is slightly protruding into the theater). You cannot see the ir eye at all unless you know its there and you are a few inches away. The receiver is then plugged into a CAT5 outlet and to an electrical outlet (different one than the one that controls the rope lighting). The CAT5 outlet is wired to another Cat5 outlet in my A/V closet where the IR repeater box is connected. The IR emitters are then run from the repeater box to each of the components - including the IRLinc.

The end result is that I point my Harmony One at the front and control all my components and the lighting (even though they are behind me). I can set scenes and use sequences with the Harmony for certain events. For example, when I hit play, the movie will start and the lights will go out, when I hit pause, the lights slowly come on the a set point. When I hit stop, the lights come on the another set point. It's actually pretty cool.

The only component not controlled by the IR repeater is the projector. I rely on the screen to reflect the IR signal to the projector. Works like a charm.

Hope this helps - let me know if you need any more detail.

Thanks for this info, helps ALOT...!

So, the IR repeater system you bought also converts the signals to RF, which then the RF signal is sent to the Instenon dimmers, is that correct? Or did I miss something there?

post #139 of 152 Old 03-16-2012, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks for this info, helps ALOT...!

So, the IR repeater system you bought also converts the signals to RF, which then the RF signal is sent to the Instenon dimmers, is that correct? Or did I miss something there?

The IR Repeater and the IRLinc are two separate things. the IRLinc from insteon (here) receives the IR signal (from one of the ir emmiters). The IR linc then converts the signal to Insteon RF that the Insteon Dimmers recognize. So it goes:

Remote --> IR repeater eye --> IR repeater box --> IR emitters --> IRLinc --> Insteon dimmers

The eye, repeater box, emitters are all part of the IR Repeater system
The IRLinc is separate - bought from insteon.

post #140 of 152 Old 03-16-2012, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

Some more pictures - tried Panaorama. Unfortunately the image hosting site resizes so it is going to look small here. Anyone know how I can share the image on the board at the smaller size but link it to a larger size? And what image hosting site will not re-size on me? The original image sizes are ~8500X2000.

post #141 of 152 Old 04-26-2012, 03:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
wow awesome theater room
post #142 of 152 Old 07-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi, do you mind stating the estimated construction costs?

You did it yourself, I would not be doing mine myself, but I'm wondering what raw material prices to get to something like that would cost.

Not any of the HT gear itself (display/receiver/source/amps/speakers etc), but everything else including lighting and electrical.

Thanks.

Looks fabbo!

TK Doom

Unreal Tournament Forever
Project Gotham Racing too!

post #143 of 152 Old 07-31-2012, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by femi View Post

wow awesome theater room

Thanks we are enjoying the theater. I do need to take photos with a better camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Doom View Post

Hi, do you mind stating the estimated construction costs?
You did it yourself, I would not be doing mine myself, but I'm wondering what raw material prices to get to something like that would cost.
Not any of the HT gear itself (display/receiver/source/amps/speakers etc), but everything else including lighting and electrical.
Thanks.
Looks fabbo!

Thanks! The estimate w/o equipment for my theater is $8 - 9K. This includes the chairs. Keep in mind I did not rip out the sheet rock and redo nor did soundproofing.

post #144 of 152 Old 08-02-2012, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Updated first post with finished theater pics.... but are you ever finished wink.gif

post #145 of 152 Old 08-21-2012, 11:59 AM

Subscribed - awesome job!
Could you add information about the AV electronics.
Thanks!
post #146 of 152 Old 08-21-2012, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarijk View Post

Subscribed - awesome job!
Could you add information about the AV electronics.
Thanks!

Thanks!

I have updated the first post with my equipment list (after the first set of photos).

post #147 of 152 Old 08-22-2012, 01:21 PM

Great thanks! Following up, what speakers are you driving off which amp?
post #148 of 152 Old 08-22-2012, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarijk View Post

Great thanks! Following up, what speakers are you driving off which amp?

The Fronts and rears are directly from the Pioneer. Two of the sides are driven off the pioneer. The two other sides I have the pre-amp from the Pioneer into the HK, then the HK driving these 2.

post #149 of 152 Old 01-03-2014, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Happy New Year everyone. Hope you and your families had a safe and fun holiday. I updated the first post with new photos. Really enjoying the Theater and hoping the new pics inspire some folks start a new HT in 2014 or to continue on with their current projects in 2014. Enjoy wink.gif

Link to first post: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1289897/mysticaljet-theater-2-0#post_19484009

MJ

post #150 of 152 Old 02-16-2014, 12:23 PM

Great thread and awesome room.

Two questions.

1 - Did you use BI-DIpolar speakers for rear? If so how are they? Debating this part of my build at the moment.

2 - You went with a 2.4 screen. How has it been for 1.7 or 16:9 content? Do you think you need masking?

Pioneer SC-65
KEF, Q5 Front, Q9 Center, Q1 rear, Q800DS
Epson 3020 Projector, 135 in 235.1 screen
OPPO 103D, Apple TV, XBOX 360
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page