Show me your Soffit - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 11-25-2011, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Bacon Race was the final kick in the ass I needed to get started.

High Desert Theater -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Building Bass - 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Surrounds -

Storage -

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 01-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Lets keep this thread a going!

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

post #33 of 42 Old 01-16-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 243
The exposed yellow is OC703 Fiberglass. The frames in front of the fiberglass will be covered with GOM fabric with the color of our choice.

I know that the soffit is not exposed in every direction for bass trapping BUT there are so many geometric surfaces comprising the soffit that it should add to the diffusive properties, if not bass trapping.
LL
LL
LL

Blazar!
post #34 of 42 Old 01-16-2012, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Love the curves - as I see my house going up and I get to see the cabinet shop do it's thing, I realize just how difficult it is to make curves like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ7 View Post

My HT Build -
post #35 of 42 Old 02-07-2012, 06:52 AM

all fired up
post #36 of 42 Old 02-07-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
My room is not finished yet but I just finished my soffit recently. It was a lot of work but I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

dabsabre likes this.

post #37 of 42 Old 02-07-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

My room is not finished yet but I just finished my soffit recently. It was a lot of work but I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

Beautiful design, excellent craftsmanship on the soffits, lighting, and star sky.

The black parts of the soffit look like cloth on frames (maybe stretchy grill cloth)? How are the gray frames made? Wood, then paint? Very impressive. I hope visitors take a moment to look at the screen when you play movies! I'd be looking up.

Roger

post #38 of 42 Old 02-07-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Beautiful design, excellent craftsmanship on the soffits, lighting, and star sky.

The black parts of the soffit look like cloth on frames (maybe stretchy grill cloth)? How are the gray frames made? Wood, then paint? Very impressive. I hope visitors take a moment to look at the screen when you play movies! I'd be looking up.

They are frames covered in cloth. The cloth is guilford of maine broadcast fabric in the color Mink. At the rear of the room they are frames made of 3" MDF covered in the fabric. The rear soffit is filled with insulation to act as a bass trap. The panels at the sides of the room are plywood covered with fabric. I made these solid so that it would provide additional isolation of some of the HVAC stuff in the soffit. The panels are held in place with velcro so they can be removed for wiring retrofit later if needed. There are more details in my full build thread.

By the way Roger - Love your theater - I have lots of photos from that bookmarked. Love your combination of gear. I'm also planning on going against the grain here and having floorstanding speakers out in front of the screen and audio is a high priority for me. The center will be behind the screen along with the infinite baffle subs.

post #39 of 42 Old 04-25-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's another update on my soffit.

post #40 of 42 Old 04-25-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Wow!!

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #41 of 42 Old 01-28-2013, 12:49 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 58
a borrowed design with small twist
combination of 3/4 mdf and 1/2 mdf for the profile with 2 5/8 crown above and below the soffit .

IMG_4774.jpg

IMG_5020_zpscbe00e04.jpg

Falcon Screens

post #42 of 42 Old 04-15-2014, 05:48 AM

looks awesome

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page