Show me your Soffit - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

Old 05-05-2016, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you for your reply. Existing soffits are 2ft wide and 1ft height. Ceiling is 8ft height.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2016, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I attempted to build the soffits from 2X3 pine & after 2 attempts with what I thought was straight lumber, they were not straight so I stopped & looked for another solution.
After talking to an electrician friend, he said I should look into buying I-joists for the facia & tie them to the walls with 2X3's. Bought them from Menards, they were inexpensive & worked perfectly.
Here are few pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140203_080939A.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	1538377   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141102_183747A.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1538385   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141126_120746A.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1538393  
dlinsley likes this.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I started looking into building a soffit in my HT after this weekend when I noticed that I have coax and Cat 6 running down along a beam that I have a wall under. MY HT is under part of my living room and kitchen so will building bass traps into the soffit help a lot? I not to worried about some sound getting upstairs, just trying to slow it down and muffle if I can. I cam going to use Roxul for sound in the joist and my use resilient channel for the drywall where there isn't any soffit. Do I need to put drywall up before I build the soffit or can I just leave it open? Here is a rough photo of what I have so far. The room is 14'x26'x9'. I was thinking of going with a 8" drop for my soffit all the way around with rope lighting, I want to keep the top of my screen as close to 8' as I can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0814161815a.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	1656641  
Old 09-12-2016, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I started looking into building a soffit in my HT after this weekend when I noticed that I have coax and Cat 6 running down along a beam that I have a wall under. MY HT is under part of my living room and kitchen so will building bass traps into the soffit help a lot? I not to worried about some sound getting upstairs, just trying to slow it down and muffle if I can. I cam going to use Roxul for sound in the joist and my use resilient channel for the drywall where there isn't any soffit. Do I need to put drywall up before I build the soffit or can I just leave it open? Here is a rough photo of what I have so far. The room is 14'x26'x9'. I was thinking of going with a 8" drop for my soffit all the way around with rope lighting, I want to keep the top of my screen as close to 8' as I can.

I don't think adding a soffit just as a place to cram additional insulation will help with soundproofing. My understanding is that soffits are stuffed with insulation to help in-room response/decay rates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement