Sound resistant doors - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 129 Old 09-23-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cgott42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Spring Valley, NY USA
Posts: 2,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Any consensus? I'm looking to put in a DIY door and was hoping there would be some consensus for a DIY door which stops LFE
The 3 sheets of 3/4" MDF w/ GG seems very doable and relatively inexpensive - and had one happy customer
Any input?
Looking for something under $300 as long as it will work (even at low frequencies)
cgott42 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 129 Old 09-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Senior Member
 
just jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
You would need to have a lumber frame such as Maple, glued around the MDF, otherwise the hinge screws wouldn't hold in the edge given the weight of 3 layers of MDF.

Winterfell theatre build - working title
just jim is offline  
post #123 of 129 Old 01-19-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 4,717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 298
I've seen a lot of discussion, but some lack of pictures to see the results......post picts please those who have these in their HT.
mtbdudex is online now  
post #124 of 129 Old 08-20-2014, 02:38 AM
Senior Member
 
video1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: NorCal Sierra Foothills
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Trying to resurrect this thread a bit. Anyone have recommendations for a sound isolating exterior entry door? The HT will have an exterior entry door for ease of getting stuff in and out. I'm thinking about using a steel commercial door and then throwing on a couple layers of MDF on the interior surface with GG in-between. Seals all around as well of course.

Commercial steel exit doors are expensive though The cheapest one at Home Depot is almost $500.
video1 is offline  
post #125 of 129 Old 08-20-2014, 04:17 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Dennis Erskine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Near an airport
Posts: 9,143
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Not at a $300 to $500 price point. Simply isn't going to happen.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
Dennis Erskine is offline  
post #126 of 129 Old 08-20-2014, 07:39 PM
Senior Member
 
just jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by video1 View Post
Trying to resurrect this thread a bit. Anyone have recommendations for a sound isolating exterior entry door? The HT will have an exterior entry door for ease of getting stuff in and out. I'm thinking about using a steel commercial door and then throwing on a couple layers of MDF on the interior surface with GG in-between. Seals all around as well of course.

Commercial steel exit doors are expensive though The cheapest one at Home Depot is almost $500.
Resurrection of this thread would be good! I posted #120 almost 2 years ago, only 5 posts back, and didn't get a response...if Dennis or Ted (or anyone else...) had the time, I'd love to hear your comments and any suggestions on my door design.

A common myth is that HD is the cheapest place to buy anything! I recently bought doors for a job; HD $120 each, my "real" lumber yard - $92, same door. There are companies that specialise in commercial steel doors, and who will customize the door for your purposes for locksets, hinges and seals, not to mention height. They have the tools to do it! If you don't need it fire rated, you can save money by not having the UL label riveted on, but same door! $500 sounds expensive.

Winterfell theatre build - working title
just jim is offline  
post #127 of 129 Old 08-20-2014, 08:54 PM
Senior Member
 
video1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: NorCal Sierra Foothills
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
We have Homewood Doors nearby. I will ask them about their steel entry doors. I figure they've got to be cheaper than Home Depot. A commercial door is at least $500. Alternatively I could get a Masonite flush trimmed entry door. These even come in a 42" width. The problem is none are soundproof. I would need to add multiple layers of MDF to the door and beef up the hinges.


Quote:
Originally Posted by just jim View Post
Resurrection of this thread would be good! I posted #120 almost 2 years ago, only 5 posts back, and didn't get a response...if Dennis or Ted (or anyone else...) had the time, I'd love to hear your comments and any suggestions on my door design.

A common myth is that HD is the cheapest place to buy anything! I recently bought doors for a job; HD $120 each, my "real" lumber yard - $92, same door. There are companies that specialise in commercial steel doors, and who will customize the door for your purposes for locksets, hinges and seals, not to mention height. They have the tools to do it! If you don't need it fire rated, you can save money by not having the UL label riveted on, but same door! $500 sounds expensive.
video1 is offline  
post #128 of 129 Old 08-20-2014, 08:55 PM
Senior Member
 
video1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: NorCal Sierra Foothills
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post
Not at a $300 to $500 price point. Simply isn't going to happen.
But is there a relatively affordable door that DIYers can modify somehow to make it acceptable for HT use?

Steel entry door with a couple of layers of MDF screwed into place?
video1 is offline  
post #129 of 129 Old 08-21-2014, 06:07 AM
Senior Member
 
just jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by video1 View Post
We have Homewood Doors nearby. I will ask them about their steel entry doors. I figure they've got to be cheaper than Home Depot. A commercial door is at least $500. Alternatively I could get a Masonite flush trimmed entry door. These even come in a 42" width. The problem is none are soundproof. I would need to add multiple layers of MDF to the door and beef up the hinges.
"Homewood Doors" sounds like a residential door manufacturer (=expensive). I'm suggesting going through the "yellow pages" and look for a commercial steel door supplier. Here, a basic door w/o label would be around the $200 mark and then you could start customizing. 48" shouldn't be a problem. Do you have demolition yards that sell doors/material from buildings being demolished? One of my neighbours took a couple of "sound" doors out of a sound studio that was being renovated. Probably the one thing I didn't try to store in my garage/basement!

Only precaution about MDF on the outside of a entry door is protection from moisture. MDF will absorb water like a sponge! "Tempered" masonite is "water resistant" and a similar base material with resins in it (heavy). And you'd need wider (as well as taller) hinges to compensate for the added door thickness (and weight).

Winterfell theatre build - working title
just jim is offline  
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off