"Reel Time" Build Log-14' Scope, 9.7 17,000W Transducer Audio, Dedicated Stadium Room - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 368 Old 01-25-2011, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My goodness sir! Sorry to hear of your setback. I wish you a full recovery.

The "Twinseltown" Theater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 368 Old 01-25-2011, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

My goodness sir! Sorry to hear of your setback. I wish you a full recovery.

Thanks Tony. So far, so good!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 368 Old 01-25-2011, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Acoustical treatments need attention. Might want to enlist a pro, e.g. the Erskine Group.

Edit - and of course, so sorry about your bad accident! Glad to hear you'll make a full recovery. Get well soon!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #34 of 368 Old 01-25-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Bummer about the foot, hope you're back to "ladder ready" soon!

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #35 of 368 Old 01-28-2011, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the well wishes guys. Anxious to get back to it.

post #36 of 368 Old 02-08-2011, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

STILL CATCHING UP WITH PAST WORK, TRYING TO GET EVERYONE (AND MYSELF) BACK UP TO SPEED! PLEASE BEAR WITH ME!

Installed a total of 12 tactile transducers with four under each row.

post #37 of 368 Old 02-08-2011, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Well, while not technically part of the HT build, it certainly is an important part of the total design. Again, my HT is right off of our existing family room. Our design called for one of the two windows next to the fireplace to be the doorway into the new HT.

Our design goal was that no one should feel that the family room is simply the lobby of the HT. So with that in mind, we came up with a design that allows access to the HT from the family room, but kept it completely hidden also.

This forced me to really tear apart the family room to get a design that worked. I will just give you some quick pics that were taken over a lengthy period. If you want any more specifics on building out the coffered ceiling or how anything was done, just let me know and I'll post.

HT Wall Before I Get Going

Side Wall With Existing Molding Coming Down

Oh The Mess!

Adding A Beam Between Family Room and Kitchen

Start Of Ceiling Structure, New Lighting, Ceiling Speakers for L/C/R

Coffered Beams Taking Shape

Beams And Side Boards

Bead Board & Lights Going Up

Crown Molding, Speakers, & Fireplace

post #38 of 368 Old 02-08-2011, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Insulation gets installed in the HT and the drywall shows up.

post #39 of 368 Old 02-08-2011, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
this is gonna be fun to watch...looking very nice
post #40 of 368 Old 02-08-2011, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

With my part of the family room (HT Lobby) remodel complete, the carpenter showed up to install what we've come to refer to as "The Great Wall of Sandi". Sandi is my wife by the way.

The design was mine, but my wife quickly seized on the opportunity to take it from all paint, to partial oak and paint, to all mahagony.

In the end, it turned out beyond our expectations in every way. Even more important, I didn't screw up the ceiling some it matched up perfectly!

Both "doors" were designed to look like built in cabinet doors and are actually four separate panels (for each door) mounted to a 3/4" backing. Each cabinet door has a cabinet pull and its own pair of hinges. The hinges are there even on the side where they are not actually hinged to the jamb. The right door is a split door so all hinges are functional. The left door to the HT is a single door, so only the hinges on the left are functional. The ones on the right of the door are cut, but match up when the door is closed.

Finished Wall

New Picture & Grafix Eye to Control Room's Lighting (4 zones)

Right "Door" to Closet

Left "Door" to HT Room

Close Up Of Fake Hinges To "Sell It"

Close Up Of TV Area and Mantel

post #41 of 368 Old 02-08-2011, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

So, as I stated above, everything turned out great. It's actually what we saw in our minds. But, as many of you know, it rarely turns out that way! This time, it did!

Here are the before and after shots of the room

BEFORE

AFTER

post #42 of 368 Old 02-08-2011, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsaw12117 View Post

this is gonna be fun to watch...looking very nice

Thanks Chainsaw! I wish the progress was further along, but that's just the way it is. I got back to working in the HT this past weekend. Of course, I was back to Home Depot last night with another supply of materials! I think they missed me! The stock price will be shooting up now!

post #43 of 368 Old 02-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Love the look family room remodel. I'm particularly interested in the coffered ceiling, as I'm planning to do one for my HT.
post #44 of 368 Old 02-08-2011, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader View Post

Love the look family room remodel. I'm particularly interested in the coffered ceiling, as I'm planning to do one for my HT.

Thank you Rader. Feel free to ask anything about it here or by PM. I have plenty of other pictures on the build of the beams and such.

post #45 of 368 Old 02-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
love the coffered ceiling it looks great.

keep up the good work. (also sorry to hear about your busted up foot, that sucks!)

Matt

"The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live." - George Carlin
post #46 of 368 Old 02-08-2011, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Vai_rules View Post

love the coffered ceiling it looks great.

keep up the good work. (also sorry to hear about your busted up foot, that sucks!)

Matt

Thanks Matt, on both counts. The boot came off a few weeks ago and I'm getting around pretty good. Can't jump on it and I can tweak it pretty easily, so I have to be careful.

post #47 of 368 Old 02-08-2011, 03:31 PM

Nice work so far! Hope you dont end up suffering from scar tissue pain to badly.

I'm awaiting your reveal of your Center Channel relocation that you teased us about in the first post.......
post #48 of 368 Old 02-08-2011, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThiessen View Post

Nice work so far! Hope you dont end up suffering from scar tissue pain to badly.

I'm awaiting your reveal of your Center Channel relocation that you teased us about in the first post.......

Thanks. However, I'm not sure what you are referring to about a center channel relocation.

post #49 of 368 Old 02-08-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTopDown View Post

[*]Center Speaker behind the screen - initial design contemplated an acoutically transparent screen to do this - stay tuned for how this changed.

Quote:

Thanks. However, I'm not sure what you are referring to about a center channel relocation.

See above from your first post with pics.....
post #50 of 368 Old 02-09-2011, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThiessen View Post

See above from your first post with pics.....

Ah!!! Sorry, I just couldn't find that entry in my post by scanning. Had to do a thread search to find it. "Relocation" threw me as I wasn't sure if I had mentioned somewhere about moving the family room L/C/R speakers from freestanding to in-ceiling.

That being said, I'll get something up real soon about the speaker system. Thanks for the reminder.

post #51 of 368 Old 03-23-2011, 02:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 224
A flagrant "Bump" to see how are things going.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #52 of 368 Old 03-23-2011, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

All good, but slooooow. Traveling for business of late and active with kids with lacrosse. At least basketball is finished.

I will need to get some pics up at least. Soffit structure and recessed lighting around 90% completed now.Framing for rear columns done but still need to finish the plenum for the HVAC that's within them.

I had to pause the project for the wife's project of remodeling the living and dining rooms. So that will tie me up for another month or so.

post #53 of 368 Old 07-17-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:

All good, but slooooow. Traveling for business of late and active with kids with lacrosse. At least basketball is finished.

I will need to get some pics up at least. Soffit structure and recessed lighting around 90% completed now.Framing for rear columns done but still need to finish the plenum for the HVAC that's within them.

I had to pause the project for the wife's project of remodeling the living and dining rooms. So that will tie me up for another month or so.

3 additional months and counting.

Where's a "logan" when ya need one?

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #54 of 368 Old 07-17-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I agree....this one had too much promise to just let it "flounder" around like this.

The "Twinseltown" Theater

post #55 of 368 Old 10-23-2011, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I guess the first thing I'll have to say is that this post is waaaaayyyyyy overdue. Looking back over the thread, I can't believe how long it's been. In November, 2010 (yes last year!) I broke my foot working in the HT and that put a halt on things quickly for a few months.

When the foot finally got healed enough, I then went off and made the wife happy by fully remodeling the living room and dining room. Next I gutted my son's bathroom and redid it, before doing a bunch of other projects necessary on our house of 15 years.

So, just about a month ago I got to the point where I could start back on the HT. I'll try to bring everyone up to speed on what's happened. Things are moving very quickly!

post #56 of 368 Old 10-23-2011, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, first I have to take you back a year ago to the day before I broke my foot. Looking back at the thread, I see that I stopped posting right after the drywall.

Working with Ted at The Soundproofing Company, I purchased and received my Green Glue GG, Clips, and a few other items. The whole room is double 5/8" drywall with GG between. So my time spent the few weeks before the fateful day was putting up all the clips and channel. Here are some final shots before the drywallers came. You'll note the two large stacks of drywall. I somehow lost my balance on the one on the right and jumped down, unfortunately landing my right foot on my framing air nailer. That did the trick on my foot.

AV Closet in the back

Ride Side Wall w/ wiring up

Deadly Stacks of Drywall & Room

Back Wall (has a layer of OSB over channel for supporting cabinets)

Left Wall

Ceiling

post #57 of 368 Old 10-23-2011, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Shots of room after the drywallers left. Pretty much everything is DD/GG. Didn't do the front wall yet, which will be single 1/2" drywall to handle sound transmission from the transducers when they create the center channel.

post #58 of 368 Old 10-23-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Some shots of the transducers for the hidden audio system that MississippiMan will be installing in an 11.4 channel setup.

post #59 of 368 Old 10-23-2011, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

NOW BACK IN OCTOBER 2011

Okay, so I posted some renderings a long time ago and spoke about the 11.4 setup and the "bumps" that I would be creating to support the various channels along the wall. I've gone back and forth and every way possible in the design. After a lot of discussion with MississippiMan and working with the layout, I designed the bumps and created the stud structures.

Below are shots of the work of these structures so I could get ready for the drywallers to come back in to hang the rest of their material.'

Left Wall

There are two bumps on each wall (left & right) and then the corner wall in the front to support the L/R channel, and height/width. Here you can see the stud structure created for each. I mounted a piece of OSB on the corner unit just so I could get a better representation of what it would look like with drywall over it.

Bump Close-Ups

The bump is a center section roughly 7" deep by 22" wide. Each side then angles from a 2" offset back to a 1" edge from the wall.

Front Corner Walls

Shot showing the two corner walls. I like how it focuses the attention towards the screen. You can see the blue tape marking off a 12' wide 16:9 screen. The inside horizontal lines (taping falling down) shows a scope screen.

Rear Wall

This will be a bar area with cabinets. There are two structures on either side that will serve for the rear channels. Two Outlaw Audio compact subs go at the bottom of these structures. They also serve as the HVAC returns for the rooms. It's a separate zoned HVAC system.

AV Closet

Just the current state of the closet with some of the wiring shown.

post #60 of 368 Old 10-23-2011, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I can't figure out a way to change my thread title, so I'll just have to let everyone reading (if there are any) that my screen is now going to be 12' wide. After getting everything to a point where I could finally tape off the size, anything bigger just was going to be too big I think.

After taping off the screen for 16:9 and scope and seeing what that would look like, I think I'm leaning towards NOT doing CIH. I think I'm going to work towards shooting 16:9 and then some form a masking system. I just didn't like the size of the 16:9 screen in a CIH setup. I still have the option to do CIH. We see how things go.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page