"Reel Time" Build Log-14' Scope, 9.7 17,000W Transducer Audio, Dedicated Stadium Room - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 368 Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Iffin' I may....,

The Coffee is indeed the best, but I really think a subdued "Crackle Finish" on the Trim will be better looking than any coating that accents, or appears as "wood grain". Also, that type finish tends to make additional layers of Matte Faux Glaze look like old shellac.

Even the Best "Old-Style" Theaters resplendent with burnished gold and velvet have character that comes from cracked or chipped Faux paint and other worn edges.

Nothing wrong with having the Trim Finish perfectly smooth either, in a matte finish. But that would require masking, and directed application of the Metallic Paint via HVLP. The advantage of doing such is to avoid obvious Brush Strokes in the Metallic Finish and lend the perception of a Polished Stone-like or heavily Enameled surface after the matte Faux Glaze is applied.

The use of a Matte Glaze over a Metallic finish is a splendid way to achieve an older. more deeply burnished look.

The Walls should be a sprayed in "Satin Finish" Interior Enamel of the selected color.

You have a LOT of Trim. Too much emphasis on the Gold being "too" resplendent and the atmosphere will seem more gaudy than I think you intend. A little "Antiquing" will moot most such ostentatious.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 368 Old 02-22-2012, 01:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The one on the right is better... seems to have more detail. Looking at it from a distance I think you will be definitely be happier with the result. Personal opinion off course

Equipment List: Preamp/Processor: Sherbourn PT-7030 [] Speakers: Funk Audio - Line Array(2kW),18.2 Subwoofer (9.6kW)[]Projector: Epson 5020ub []Screen: Elunevision Reference 150"
PC/HTPC: Intel Q6600 [] GTX670 [] 4 GB Ram [] Windows 8.1 x64
Cabling: Interconnects: HDMI - Redmere Cable 50 ft
Audio Cable: XLR - From Orange County Speaker - 50ft
post #213 of 368 Old 02-22-2012, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

The use of a Matte Glaze over a Metallic finish is a splendid way to achieve an older. more deeply burnished look.

You have a LOT of Trim. Too much emphasis on the Gold being "too" resplendent and the atmosphere will seem more gaudy than I think you intend. A little "Antiquing" will moot most such ostentatious.

So, you think this is a good way to go then?!? I think there's way too much trim to go the crackle route, but I understand your thought. I just think it will be too much with all that I have. I think your statements above are agreeing with what I have here, which is a glaze over a metallic paint. It is a metallic glaze however, so I might try to get some matte glaze and see what that looks like. Either way, I know I'm painting on the gold metallic base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

The Walls should be a sprayed in "Satin Finish" Interior Enamel of the selected color.

Rolling will have to do, but I'll be sure not to have any roller lines!
post #214 of 368 Old 02-22-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 75
My sole experience with (one) gold crown, is it lights up, from the light thrown off the screen. Might be worth a test strip to see if this is the case.

That said, I like the coffee option.
post #215 of 368 Old 02-22-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

My sole experience with (one) gold crown, is it lights up, from the light thrown off the screen. Might be worth a test strip to see if this is the case.

That said, I like the coffee option.

Good idea to put that sample up and see what it looks like with the PJ shining. The front corner walls do sit back about 2' from the screen and then angle away from it. The whole front wall will be black GOM around the screen with black GOM panels coming from the screen wall to the edges of these angled walls. So, hopefully since that was the design idea, it will help to minimize.

Outside of just trying to create some depth and interest in the trim with the glaze, we knew that plain gold was just too much on all counts (gaudy, reflective, etc.).
post #216 of 368 Old 02-22-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Vote coffee just from the picture here.

Amazing build, love it, love it, love it.
post #217 of 368 Old 02-22-2012, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Wow, I think the description of "grand" is spot on. It's going to have that look of an old, classic theater, which I happen to really like. What I do like about the coffee glaze is the antiquing effect it has in the deep cracks, but I can also imagine that would be more work to make it look "old" but not "sloppy"...
post #218 of 368 Old 02-22-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

Same experience, in my old theater, but I didn't regret it and kind of liked a touch of sizzle with my steak. That said, with that wallpaper it may be too much.
post #219 of 368 Old 02-22-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

Same experience, in my old theater, but I didn't regret it and kind of liked a touch of sizzle with my steak. That said, with that wallpaper it may be too much.

I've got the same concern, but think it will work with the wallpaper, especially if I go with the more toned down coffee glaze version. The paper is isolated to the "bumps" and front angled walls with 3' wide sections of the dark brown in between. I think that's enough to offset the grandness of paper, but we'll see. Unfortunately I couldn't get the photos of the paper to come out as it looks in person. It's not as bright as it appears here and is much darker.

I'm trying to strike a balance between having something that is very classic and appealing and that of a high-performance bat cave. Therefore I'm bringing in much darker colors where I wouldn't have otherwise.

Worse case scenario on the trim is that I'd have to go back and apply another coat of glaze to darken it further if it's too much.
post #220 of 368 Old 02-23-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Trim Paint - In Person vs Forum

First, thanks to all who have given their opinions and thoughtful comments.

So everyone that's opined here on the forum has selected the darker glaze on the right (coffee). Interestingly, we've had eight different people come through the house over the past few days, both male and female, and look at the same combination and have all picked the lighter glaze on the left! Figures!

While I think the photo here represents the actual well, perhaps my mind's eye is kicking in. I can see that the photo does not show as much depth and all the darker glaze that is in the lines of the trim. For the darker, it's very obvious.

Well, at least at this point I know I've got two coats of gold metallic paint ahead of me. Then I'll make a call. I can try out a few other glazes and applications in the meantime.
post #221 of 368 Old 02-23-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I'm glad you worked through your rope light issues. I really like the LED strip lighting that you found. That blue horizon looks awesome with the star ceiling.
post #222 of 368 Old 02-24-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 315
I just discovered this thread today - you are officially subscribed! Fantastic work!
post #223 of 368 Old 02-24-2012, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

I just discovered this thread today - you are officially subscribed! Fantastic work!

Thanks!
post #224 of 368 Old 03-07-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTopDown View Post

Thanks!

..and then, silence.

Hey Baba Looie, ya all right?

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #225 of 368 Old 03-13-2012, 10:28 AM

I finally reached the end.. I hoped it would be done when I did!

You must have thrown on some paint by now that you can show us
post #226 of 368 Old 03-26-2012, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

I can't believe it's been a month since I last posted! On top of this being an extremely busy time of year work-wise for me, I've been sick off-and-on for the past month and then away on business to boot. Just not much time to get in the HT to do work.

That being said, I was able to get the trim 90% completed. I actually got in the HT for a few hours yesterday and applied the glaze to about 50% of it.

I've changed up the paint color for the walls and gone from a dark brown to a chamois color. In the pictures below, you can see the darker brown I was going to go with on the doors. Once I put that up and saw it against the trim and paper samples, I just couldn't live with it. That on top of the dark wood that's coming for the bar area was just too dark for me. I know that dark is good, but I had to make the change. Hopefully it will all work out.

The trim took waaaaaay longer than I expected as it need three coats of paint to fully cover. If I had it to do over again, I would have put on a dark base first, then two coats of the metallic paint. So in the end with the glaze, I will have painted the trim four times and wiped off the glaze once. Five touches all together. The pictures don't do it justice at all, but it really looks great!

All these pics are the trim WITHOUT the glaze...

Here are the doors to the A/V closet. The dark brown isn't staying. I'm going to do the wall color (now chamois) where you see the dark brown now and then do the glazed metallic for the panels to match the trim.

Not a great pic, but the trim on the left is without glaze and the right is with glaze making it darker.

Back area glazed. Unfortunately the photo does pic up all the effect of the glaze.

I'm heading out of town again this weekend, so I will be the following before I get back in there. Stay tuned!
post #227 of 368 Old 03-26-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Well, my progress is slow (see post above), but I thought I'd share at least something I think is cool.

A year ago I picked up an antique theater 40's/50's exit light that I thought would look neat in my HT. It was pretty beat up, but unique since it was round, with the glass in a ball shape with the word "EXIT" actually in the mold of the glass.

I found a local shop that does restorations and metal plating and had them restore it and brass plate it. Here are the before and after shots. I have a place for it just above the HT door and will program it in the GE to come on when the lights go down.

BEFORE

AFTER

post #228 of 368 Old 03-26-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Everything's looking fantastic. That exit sign is priceless.

Keep up the great work!
post #229 of 368 Old 03-26-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Everything's looking fantastic. That exit sign is priceless.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks Mario! I've been checking on your progress here and there. Looking good. Wish I had your time and ENERGY!
post #230 of 368 Old 03-26-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Your trim work is stunning!! Looks really good.

+1 on the exit sign. Very nice and unique, it will be great in your setup.
post #231 of 368 Old 03-26-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Your trim work is stunning!! Looks really good.

+1 on the exit sign. Very nice and unique, it will be great in your setup.

Thanks. It just took forever to paint with so many profiles. And I hate to paint!
post #232 of 368 Old 04-07-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Put in two 12 hour days doing what I hate... painting! Finished up glazing all the trim. After that was finished, I decided that I would go ahead and paint the doors the same way as the trim - metallic brown/gold with the glazing. I thought it was going to be too much at first, but with the lighter color we are now going with on the walls and seeing how well the trim came out, I think it will look the best. I still have to put up another coat on the doors and then apply the glazing.

Today I spent painting two coats of the wall color (chamois) everywhere it goes. All the white areas you see in the pics below is where the wallpaper is to go. Except for the white area around the wall bar. I just painted what I had to there in that alcove.

So here's color at last!

I guess I'm going to have to touch the trim one more time! At least the baseboards, casing and doors. The metallic paint and glazing come off too easy when you wipe with just a little pressure. Paint store said the glazing really needs to be sealed, and they were correct of course. Here comes a layer of satin poly. Damn!
post #233 of 368 Old 04-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
For someone who hates painting, you are pretty damn good at it. Respect for the clean lines!
post #234 of 368 Old 04-07-2012, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 View Post

For someone who hates painting, you are pretty damn good at it. Respect for the clean lines!

Hate it, but not too bad at it. Thanks!
post #235 of 368 Old 04-12-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:

LED Accent Lighting

I found some affordable RGB LED strip lighting on Amazon and ordered a single reel of it. If it worked, I was going to have to change around my plans a bit to keep them off my GE unit and run some IR wires to the LED controllers. I figured I had all that available (good planning and conduit!) so I ordered a reel of it. I actually tried it out the other day on the side wall and it worked perfectly. You still have to get a good angle, but the output was bright enough and the color was great and uniform. Having the ability to change the color was great also! My wife was liking colors she never thought she would have.

This is the item on Amazon that I purchased. $40 for a 16' reel (I'll need 6 total) with controller, remote, and power supply.

I'm going to try to emulate your fantastic result by using this same product, but had a few questions:

I think you have a 10' x 15' star field, as I have (on order), which is just 50' of perimeter, yet you ordered 6 LED setups (over 96' total) -- did you just cut them down to 2 x ~10' and 4 x ~7.5' so you don't have to bend them around the corners?

With 6 controllers / power supplies, did you distribute these throughout your ceiling and run 120V power to each? And you ended up running distributed IR to all 6? (I suppose you could pair up a few of the controllers for both power and IR). What did you use for this level of IR distribution?

It would be nice if one could just use a single, upgraded power supply / controller to link 3 or 4 strips together, but it doesn't look like this vendor has anything that can support that...

Thanks in advance!
Bryan
post #236 of 368 Old 04-12-2012, 03:24 PM

this picture looks like she is praying for you to hurry up and get this done haha. nice work on the build it really does look amazing. i was wondering if you went with an eggshell mouse ear on your ceiling or a straight flat?
post #237 of 368 Old 04-13-2012, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowger View Post

I'm going to try to emulate your fantastic result by using this same product, but had a few questions:

I think you have a 10' x 15' star field, as I have (on order), which is just 50' of perimeter, yet you ordered 6 LED setups (over 96' total) -- did you just cut them down to 2 x ~10' and 4 x ~7.5' so you don't have to bend them around the corners?

With 6 controllers / power supplies, did you distribute these throughout your ceiling and run 120V power to each? And you ended up running distributed IR to all 6? (I suppose you could pair up a few of the controllers for both power and IR). What did you use for this level of IR distribution?

It would be nice if one could just use a single, upgraded power supply / controller to link 3 or 4 strips together, but it doesn't look like this vendor has anything that can support that...

Thanks in advance!
Bryan

Sorry for the late reply - I've been on the road.

For the star field, yes, mine is 10x 15 as well. I have a break in the back of it around the opening of the projector. I'm going to run two 20' lengths down each side (5' in the back from the projector opening and then 15' down the length of the star field. That way both controllers are in the same place for those two runs. So there, I'm cutting 4' off of a length and adding that to the 16' run. I'm then going to have a single 10' length at the far end of the star field. The controller will be down there with the strip, but I will just run my IR sensor from the PJ hush box down to that controller to run it.

The side walls of the room will have about 19' of run for each. So I'll need to take a 16' run plus 3' cut from another for those. So all in total I will have 5 controllers to manage.

Around the star field I found that placing the strip on the vertical part of the wall just below the top edge of the crown so that the LEDs are shining out horizontally towards the star field was the best. I played with various placements for some time before seeing this was the best. Therefore when I come to a corner, I just leave a slight curve to it and don't have issues with a 90 degree turn as I would if I had them shining upwards. See the sketch below to see what I mean - hard to explain.

post #238 of 368 Old 04-13-2012, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat black ricer View Post

this picture looks like she is praying for you to hurry up and get this done haha. nice work on the build it really does look amazing. i was wondering if you went with an eggshell mouse ear on your ceiling or a straight flat?

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I posted it up here. Probably more like, praying she can stop hearing me talk about all this AV/HT crap and just get it done!

Thanks for the compliments!

Everything on the ceiling is flat, including the Mouse Ears black around the inside of the soffit/star field. No the Mouse Ears is only there. I used Starless Night (deep dark blue) (flat) for the bottom of the soffit/ceiling of the room. The paint on the walls (Chamois) is satin and the poly to go on the trim yet will also be satin.
post #239 of 368 Old 04-13-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Sorry for the late reply - I've been on the road.

Geez, it took you less than a day to respond -- no apologies necessary! I appreciate the info back and it's very helpful.

Quote:

For the star field, yes, mine is 10x 15 as well. I have a break in the back of it around the opening of the projector. I'm going to run two 20' lengths down each side (5' in the back from the projector opening and then 15' down the length of the star field. That way both controllers are in the same place for those two runs. So there, I'm cutting 4' off of a length and adding that to the 16' run. I'm then going to have a single 10' length at the far end of the star field. The controller will be down there with the strip, but I will just run my IR sensor from the PJ hush box down to that controller to run it.

The side walls of the room will have about 19' of run for each. So I'll need to take a 16' run plus 3' cut from another for those. So all in total I will have 5 controllers to manage.

Makes perfect sense -- I missed that you'll light up the side walls, as well. Should be nice!

Thanks for the drawing. Looks eerily like one I put together in my CAD program, so it's good to confirm.

I'm thinking I'll centralize my three controllers / power supplies and then just run extension 4-conductor wires to the start of each LED string (two will be short runs). And if I centralize them all in a spot where their IR eyes can each see my remote, I shouldn't have to worry about IR distribution for these. I was happy to find that the controller resumes its last setting when powered back up, so I can power all three from my central lighting controller, and IR reception will then only be needed when changing colors or intensity. Should work, I'm hoping, but we'll see.

Have you already ordered all your LED materials? I have an extra reel of these LEDs that I had ordered, thinking I could play around with chaining them, but now I know that won't work. I was going to return it, but I'll happily send it your way if you can use it.

Thanks again for the inspiration and help!
Bryan
post #240 of 368 Old 04-13-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm thinking I'll centralize my three controllers / power supplies and then just run extension 4-conductor wires to the start of each LED string (two will be short runs).

I'm sorry, but I said extend the IR for the the 10' length at the end of the star field, when I meant extend the power just like you are doing with the 4-conducter wire. Than all my controllers for the star field are in the same place and I don't have to install a standard 120V outlet down there. I'm sure someone could say just use an extension cord, but I just don't trust them!

Quote:

I was going to return it, but I'll happily send it your way if you can use it.

Thank you very much, but I have all my rolls.

Quote:

Thanks again for the inspiration and help!

Any time! I'm anxious to inspire with finished photos! Won't get much done this week as I have to please Uncle Sam as I have waited too long. Oh well.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page