"Reel Time" Build Log-14' Scope, 9.7 17,000W Transducer Audio, Dedicated Stadium Room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 368 Old 11-29-2010, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, after viewing one build log after another here on AVS and dreaming of my own dedicated theater, I finally decided to pull the trigger earlier this year when we decided to go into a major house remodel. With the support of everything else we wanted to do with the home, I had enough justification to include a dedicated HT room off of the first level.

First off, if you've seen the name "Reel Time" in another thread (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1251515), you're correct. That's the thread that started with the project in March of this year (2010). I realized two things: 1) I didn't use a very good title as most folks have missed the build altogether and 2) I had too much in there about the entire remodel project (basement, new garage, second story of the new addition, family room remodel, etc.).

So, now nine months later, I've decided to stop posting in the old thread in start this one dedicated to items about the HT itself. There will be some info and pics about the addition build. But, only as it applies to the HT. I've got a lot to pass along, and I'll do that over the next couple of days.

Okay, so onto the HT build. I hope you enjoy and learn as I have by others' examples here on AVS. Please feel free to chime in with anything, good or bad. It's all okay as long as it's constructive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 368 Old 11-29-2010, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, there were multiple sparks involved to get this whole thing started.

1) We've been waiting on pulling the trigger on a HT for years because we wanted a dedicated room on the first floor level which necessited an addition. However, we could justify to ourselves the addition just for the sake of the HT.

2) In January, 2010, our HVAC system went up. It was always a poor setup and undersized and positioned badly. So the new HVAC system would be best if split into two systems.

3) We've always talked about having additional storage and a bathroom off of two of our bedrooms instead of a single shared bathroom.

4) So with all these house requirements put together, along with feeling we could help some contractors during the down economy while getting good prices, we had our justification to proceed.
post #3 of 368 Old 11-29-2010, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

With a go ahead on the addition and a dedicated theater room off of our family room, I set off exploring all the HT builds I could read here on AVS. That's when I found CalBear's 16' wide theater build. When I kept reading how he was able to pull off what so many felt was impossible, I knew I could realize my design dreams.

I'm not a videophile or audiophile by any means. I have great respect for those that can discern minute characteristics to justify high priced equipment. I've had my share of luxury vehicles that I have thoroughly enjoyed because of the driving experience they afforded. So, I understand how some can spend a lot of money on high end equipment. I just don't want to in the HT.

For me, the HT is simple. I love watching movies and I want the true theater experience at my home. I also want to do this with equipment that gets me the most bang for the buck. When I first read what type of projector and screen I would need for a 14' wide scope screen, I thought my design goals were dashed. Then I found CalBear's thread, and I knew it could be done. Then I sat down and designed the addition and the basic design goals for the HT:
  • Soundproof as possible - especially given it would be off of our family room
  • Large as we could get it - squeezing it into a inside corner behind the home, we had our exterior dimensions of 30'x20'
  • Total Light Control - in fact, no windows at all
  • Large Scope Screen - with the exterior dimensions set and factoring soundproofing and front columns, I could get real close to 14' wide
  • Stadium Seating - a curved recliner unit on the first and second levels with a countertop bar with seating behind it on the third level - 12" riser for each level
  • Center Speaker behind the screen - initial design contemplated an acoutically transparent screen to do this - stay tuned for how this changed.
  • A/V Closet - to store all the components for the HT, as well as the family room on the other side and equipment for the rest of the house
  • Lutron Grafik Eye - install and control adequate and appropriate lighting zones to be operated through scenes
  • Starfield - A large starfield to cover the majority of the seating area

That was the main design goals and we came up with the following basic plan for the HT room as part of the addition, and off we started!

TOP DOWN VIEW

SIDE ELEVATION

3/24/10 - THE DIG BEGINS!

post #4 of 368 Old 11-29-2010, 06:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Sounds like my kind of HT. Looking forward to how it progresses.

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

post #5 of 368 Old 11-29-2010, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Looking forward to the build! Our rooms are very similar. I'm 32'x17.5x9 and have things layed out close to your elevation drawing, including the 14' scope screen. What is your ceiling height? I couldn't tell from the drawings.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #6 of 368 Old 11-30-2010, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post
Looking forward to the build! Our rooms are very similar. I'm 32'x17.5x9 and have things layed out close to your elevation drawing, including the 14' scope screen. What is your ceiling height? I couldn't tell from the drawings.
Width - Outside dimensions of the addition are 30x20. Once you factor in the 2x6 exterior wall on one side, a 2x4 wall on the other, then clips, channel, and double 5/8" drywall, the finished interior width is 18'2".

Length - There's actually a 2' bump out in the front of the HT, behind the screen. This was put there when I was going to do a AT screen and have speakers behind. I still will use that depth with the front subwoofers to go below and behind the screen. Finished length of the room is about 28', although the back wall will have cabinetry and columns.

Height - Back level is 9', middle riser is 10', and front (screen) area is 11'

What kind of screen and pj are you utilizing with the 14' scope and how do you like the results?

Are you using an A-lens?
post #7 of 368 Old 11-30-2010, 12:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Looks like a great room in the making ! Definitely looking foward to your updates.

art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #8 of 368 Old 11-30-2010, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice ceiling heights! Your room volume is within a few hundred cf of mine too. What are your plans for audio? If you have any yet?

I'm using the Panasonic AE4000 on a DIY screen built from the SeymourXD AT material. It doesn't meet minimum standards, but I'm pleased with the performance. I'm not using an Anomorphic Lens. I have a buddy with the same projector and he has a lens. I haven't seen his yet, but am anxious to see what, if any, improvements there are.

Construction Thread
post #9 of 368 Old 11-30-2010, 07:45 PM

Liked: 11
This looks like its going to be a good thread too subscribe to...looking forward to future progress and updates myself...Good luck.

"Get your hands out of my pocket"
post #10 of 368 Old 12-01-2010, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

The HT sits on top of a new garage. The risers for the HT are actually built off of the garage blockwork. The first level sits right on the block, the middle level joists sit 1' above the block and the rear level joists sit 2' off of the block.

This is actually a lot easier to do than building from a single level and then building risers on top. Plus, the main reason to do it this way is that it provides much needed headroom in the garage.

post #11 of 368 Old 12-01-2010, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

post #12 of 368 Old 12-01-2010, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

With the garage completed, the joists went down for the HT.

The two foot bump out at the screen end of the HT required a bit more work for the cantilever.

HT floor joists then attached directly into the existing exterior wall of the house. Beam and bracing then installed below to support to code as hangers alone would not be nearly enough.

post #13 of 368 Old 12-01-2010, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a shot of the flooring of the HT from the right, rear corner where the A/V closet will be.

And a shot from the front, left corner looking back at the existing house. One of our three dogs (Maggie) had to get in the photoshoot. Two windows on the rear wall are part of the family room. The one on the left (in the photo) will be a doorway to a closet for the family room. The one on the right will be the entrance to the HT.

The area in the middle without the house wrap is where the bump out used to be along with our former fireplace. The fireplace for the family room will be replaced since the old one had a direct vent out the back and wasn't very good anyways. New one will have to have a top vent that will go out the back of the house through the floor joists above the HT.

Wall on the left is the back of our existing garage with a laundry room where the window is. The window will unfortunately have to go.

post #14 of 368 Old 12-01-2010, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

While the construction progressed, I started working on the computer to put together some basic renderings of the HT. Not really sure of the color scheme or overall theme. Just trying to get the basic elements in for now.

post #15 of 368 Old 12-02-2010, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

This is looking nice. I have to say some it is very similar to what I did on my addition. My bookcase door took a lot of time and effort to plan. They are fun to have when you are done though.

The Spiral Staircase Theater Build Thread
zxlr88- Xbox live and PS Network
post #16 of 368 Old 12-02-2010, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm wrestling with projector placement, and like your solution of a large soffit cutting over the bar.

I notice all the green leaves on the trees in your photos. Is this current? or, are you catching us up to present?

I'm curious about the decision to make the risers an integral part of the addition. It seems it would lock that space into being a theater for any future owner? What are the advantages of it?

Construction Thread
post #17 of 368 Old 12-02-2010, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm wrestling with projector placement, and like your solution of a large soffit cutting over the bar.

Thanks. It also helps to define the rear area of the theater I think and provides a place to hold the projector, install lighting for the bar, and hold the components for the star field ceiling.

Quote:

I notice all the green leaves on the trees in your photos. Is this current? or, are you catching us up to present?

Yes I am. The dig started in March. Currently, the addition project is 98% completed sans HT. Drywall was just hung in the HT, except for the front wall. I'm getting there!

Quote:

I'm curious about the decision to make the risers an integral part of the addition. It seems it would lock that space into being a theater for any future owner? What are the advantages of it?

Good question; and yes, I did consider this. First, I don't see myself ever leaving, but there's always a chance. Should the next owner not want the theater, they simply would create "reverse" risers to fill in the area to bring everything to 9' or just the front portion to have 9' in the rear and a large 10' lowered area in the front. So even if I did everything at 11' and then built risers, they'd still have to tear out carpet, trim, etc. to make it work.

Big issue with building the risers into the flooring is that it allowed better height in the garage below. If the whole HT was 11' with risers, the garage height would be 8' the whole way through. As it is now with the garage door, I can't pull in anything tall like my Tundra pickup. Cars are okay.
post #18 of 368 Old 12-03-2010, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

With the flooring completed, the exterior walls go up. Rear wall is in three sections, one for each level. 9', 10', and 11' heights.

Here you can get a better idea of how the addition integrates with the rest of the house and see the garage below.

Outside view of back wall of the theater. Windows on same level of existing house shown are part of our family room.

post #19 of 368 Old 12-03-2010, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I accept your answer. That makes alot of sense. Particularly the need for higher ceilings in the garage. Well thought out.

Now I see the dates on your photos. duh.

Construction Thread
post #20 of 368 Old 12-03-2010, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

While I would have liked the extra inches, we had to put up a 2x4 wall on the right side of the theater to support the floor joists for the second level above. It will provide an extra break for the existing house for soundproofing however.

With all of the other walls up and the second floor joists set, the front (screen) wall and bump-out for speakers are built.

Then it gets a little dark with the subfloor going down on the second floor.

post #21 of 368 Old 12-03-2010, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I accept your answer. That makes alot of sense. Particularly the need for higher ceilings in the garage. Well thought out.

Now I see the dates on your photos. duh.

Thanks Tony. Great progress on your thread BTW. Wish I was at that stage.

Yes, a lot of planning when into the design and the build. As always, there were compromises to be made one way or the other. I'm sure someone would ask: "If height in the garage below was an issue, why not just dig a little deeper to accomodate.". Answer would be: If we could have we would. We have a geothermal HVAC system with a ground loop that runs throughout the back yard, about 8'-10' below the surface. Those lines run out of the existing house right through the new garage. They go right below the existing house foundation, so we were able to go a little deeper, but not too much. The loop lines are actually in the concrete floor. So, we maximized everything we could get.

No problem on missing the dates. I miss stuff like that also reading too fast, only to be reminded by someone that it's right there in front of my face.
post #22 of 368 Old 12-03-2010, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we jump a bit ahead in time since a lot of work has been on the second floor (non-HT stuff) of the addition. Now we get back to it with the installation of the roof.

We designed the roof of the addition to stay below the roofline of the existing house. We didn't want to be able to see the addition from the front of the house and change the look of the whole place. In order to accomplish this, we had to go with a sloped flat roof. There is a main beam running diagonally across with stick built truss-work run off of it to the sides. This provides for about a 4% fall for water run off. So, it's not completely flat. A rubber membrane then covers the entire top portion of the roof with no punctures. I snaked the plumbing vent through numerous joists and studs in order to have it come out the back on the heavy sloped portion of the roof.

Here's a front snapshot to show that the addition is hidden from the front.

post #23 of 368 Old 12-12-2010, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I've been spending a lot of time trying to get some new renderings completed. So here they are. The first renderings were using more drywall columns with trim, where the new ones here is using a lot of wood. I know I just increase the cost, time, and effort!

I really don't know about the color scheme, so I'm not locked in there. Here are this pics. Let me know what you think. Comments, suggestions, etc. more than welcome!

FROM BACK RIGHT CORNER (in front of A/V racks)

FROM FRONT LEFT CORNER

FRONT SCREEN WALL

BAR/CABINET AREA ON BACK WALL BETWEEN TWO COLUMNS

BAR COUNTERTOP FOR 4-5 ROLLING SEATS

SOFFIT/PROJECTOR BOX/STARFIELD CLOSE-UP

WALL COLUMNS "BUMPS" CLOSE-UPS

post #24 of 368 Old 12-12-2010, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 96
What are your plans for acoustical treatments with all of that wood?
post #25 of 368 Old 12-12-2010, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

What are your plans for acoustical treatments with all of that wood?

Good question! I haven't gotten there yet. Just starting here with a general design and then drilling down into what is doable, affordable, etc. I'm all ears on all aspects of the design.
post #26 of 368 Old 12-12-2010, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Looking forward to following your build. It is certainly going to be great when completed.

You might consider a 2nd sub in the rear for a room that size. If you can get one in the middle front and another in the middle back it would be ideal.

Don't forget to think about acoustics and hvac, venting of equipment too. I postponed these until later and had to rework some plans.
post #27 of 368 Old 12-12-2010, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Looking forward to following your build. It is certainly going to be great when completed.

You might consider a 2nd sub in the rear for a room that size. If you can get one in the middle front and another in the middle back it would be ideal.

Don't forget to think about acoustics and hvac, venting of equipment too. I postponed these until later and had to rework some plans.

Hey, thanks!

SUBS - As for the subs, I actually already purchased them. I have four Outlaw Audio subs, two LFM-1 EX's for the front, below and behind the screen/GOM, and two LFM-1 Compacts for the rear. One goes in the bottom of each of the columns on the sides of the bar on the back wall. Rendering doesn't show that, but the base will be covered in GOM.

HVAC - The room is on its own zone, with lined ducts running to flex duct for the vents. Returns are in the rear of the room off of plenums in the two columns on the sides of the bar.

A/V VENTING - Projector "box" will have fans pulling hot air out. A/V closet has an intake in the floor pulling in cool air from the conditioned basement and a 150CFM fan in the ceiling of the closet pulling air outside.

ACOUSTICS - As I said, still have that on the drawing board.

Thanks!
post #28 of 368 Old 12-15-2010, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Began electrical and low voltage work in the HT. Tons of 12/2 pulled for the 12 lighting zones back to two Grafix eye units.

I ran flex conduit to each speaker location. That's 11 (1 Center, 2 Front, 2 Width, 4 Side, 2 Rear) in total not counting the subs which go below the floor to the front of the room.

Need to clean up a bit! You can see the blue flex all running back to the A/V closet on the left. Grey solid conduit in the top center is running from closet to projector location.

Outlets (one not shown on right) with conduit in center in each riser. Power for seating and conduit for any future runs.

Shot of ceiling and how I did the electrical boxes for each of the lighting zones and remote outlets. The outlets will stick through the drywall and serve as junction boxes to the various outlets/lighting needed. They are 3-1/2" deep, so after clips, channel, DD/GG, they'll stick out 5/8" beyond the face of the drywall. I'll build the soffit all around them before hanging the final layer of drywall on them.

Here you see the conduit for the A/V cables to the projector. Two boxes on the right are for the star field ceiling (one for the stars, another for the "horizon" lighting to go behind crown). Box on left is a remote power outlet for the projector.

150CFM Panasonic fan in ceiling to pull hot air out. Vent in floor pulling in air from finished basement to supply cool air.

The 11 flex conduit feeds for the speaker locations coming into the ceiling of the closet. I'll make a nice trim plate to cover in the end.

For future help, I ran conduit to the basement below and the second floor above, which then connects to the attic. This will let me pull any wire in the future without ripping up everything.

Boxes on left are the closet light switch on the bottom, then a thermostat location above to operate the fan. Two four-gang boxes with 12/2 wire running to them are for the two 6-zone Grafix Eye units. Conduit is to run to wallswitch and lower box for RS-232 control box. Each unit runs off its own 20 amp circuit.

post #29 of 368 Old 01-25-2011, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Anything new around here?

Construction Thread
post #30 of 368 Old 01-25-2011, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Anything new around here?

As somebody noted, I've been catching up the build with photos throughout 2010. I need to get more up to get to the current point (drywall up, but not finished.

Everything came to a crashing halt at Thanksgiving and the whole project has been on hold.

Working in the HT the day after Thanksgiving, I lost my balance walking across a 2' high stack of drywall somehow, and when I jumped down, my right foot came down on my large right angle drill (NO - not the bit!).

So, long story short, I came away with a badly broken foot. I didn't need surgery, but the bone was so displaced that it isn't going to heal with bone, just scar tissue. Should be a full recovery however.

I just came out of my boot a week ago, but still can't do much more than walking for the next 4-6 weeks.

Now, I'm into a very crazy time at work and lacrosse season starts in a month. So, things are going to be a little sloooow for a while.

I'll at least try to get the thread caught up with pics.

Thanks for the push Tony!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page