Nick's Homebrew Bar and Entertainment Area - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-03-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Nick - That does look great, and if you can already tell a difference, then it's definitely time and money well-spent. Now you have me thinking though...maybe I want to do this too... Thanks for posting that!

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Nick - how's progress?
I saw your blocking to remove noises.

For me, my HVAC returns that ran between the joists when the sheet metal was bent made a buckle "blump-blump" when people walked above.
I tried some blocking like you and that did not help, so in the end I put the blocking within 1" constant of the sheetmetal and filled it with expandable foam to keep that portion "pushed".
It worked, so I did that for (4) areas like shown in red below. (old pict prior to adding blocking)
Old 06-08-2011, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hi Mike. The blocking is mostly to stiffen the floor above. It seems to be doing the trick quite well. I still have some work to do on it, but it is close. As far as the HVAC sheet metal noise, I used insulated flex duct above the theater, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Overall progress has come to a slow crawl. Unfortunately my wife lost her job as a teacher due to cut backs. I feel really bad spending money on the theater during her last days in the classroom, so I am laying low for now. In addition, things with my job have been absolutely crazy busy, so that isn't helping matters. Hopefully the build pace will pickup up again soon.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

Overall progress has come to a slow crawl. Unfortunately my wife lost her job as a teacher due to cut backs. I feel really bad spending money on the theater during her last days in the classroom, so I am laying low for now. In addition, things with my job have been absolutely crazy busy, so that isn't helping matters. Hopefully the build pace will pickup up again soon.

Sorry to hear about your wife losing her job. That really sucks.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
Old 06-10-2011, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Chris. She barely made it through the cuts last year, so I was expecting it this year when they announced further cuts to school spending. I just keep reminding myself that it could be far worse.

I offered to sell some of my pinball machines to offset the costs of the theater, but my wife got mad at me and said no way since she knows how much they mean to me. All I can say is, that was a close one. I don't know what I would have done if she said "OK" when I offered to sell them.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I decided to pick away at some of my loose ends this weekend. No new pictures, but I accomplished the following:
  1. Picked up the fitting to reconnect the gas pipe to the fireplace. This shouldn't take long to complete, but I need to find a time when I can shut off the gas to put in the last couple of piece of pipe. Unfortunately, the shutoff valve for the fireplace is after the piece that I needed, so I need to shut off the main valve to complete it.
  2. I screwed in the blocking that was previously cut and put into place. This makes a big difference in the stiffness of the floor above and will hopefully prevent vibration around the projector mount. I have a few more blocks that will be put in place once I pull out the wiring for the temporary lighting.
  3. I ran the duct for the additional theater HVAC supply line up to the theater.
  4. I removed an extra HVAC supply line in the theater that was already in the room and was mounted right where the projector mount should go. I pulled it back into the main part of the basement.
  5. I ordered most of the pieces needed to finish the rest of my HVAC work including the cold air return and the bypass for the HVAC zoning. I found a place online that sells the pieces for much less than they were available locally and the shipping was only $9 for everything. I even found a few pieces that weren't available at the local home stores.

I still need to order my diffusers and locate a local supplier for duct board. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to call to locate duct board? I am going to try the place I am ordering the diffusers from. Hopefully they will have it at a reasonable price.

I have also decided that I am going to build DD&GG boxes around the flex ducts that supply the theater to help with the sound proofing. These boxes will be between the joists.

I also need to figure out how to temporarily light the theater area. I currently have a couple of porcelain sockets on the ceiling that are wired to the switch that controls most of the lights in the basement. Those need to be removed soon and the wiring taken out. I need to figure out the best way to light the room until I have power installed in the room. I am planning to feed all theater electrical from a sub panel within the theater, so the wiring for the lighting will be run after the drywall is installed. I could install some shop lights, or put some work lights on stands, but I will need to run a cord through the door. This is really the only option I can think of.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not much to report, but I wanted to give a brief update. In addition to everything else that has slowed theater progress, after 10 1/2 years I decided to quit my job a little over a week ago. I'm leaving on good terms, so I have several things I want to finish up before I leave at the end of the month. That has bumped the insane number hours a week I normally work up significantly. I'm hoping that once I start my new job that things will be a little bit slower (I doubt it) and I will have more time to dedicate to the basement.

With that said, I did receive most of the parts to complete my HVAC work. I was able to cut the hole in the main supply trunk for the final duct. I have the starter piece in place as well as having cut several of the other pieces. Hopefully this weekend I can get the last couple of pieces cut and mounted for this run. Once that is done I can focus on the cold air return which is the final run that needs to be completed.

I still need to purchase some duct board and the diffusers. Hopefully I will find some time to do that within the next week. Then I can complete the HVAC within the theater.

It sure would be nice to get over this hump since I have been stuck on this piece for a while. It would be great to post about something other than HVAC .
Old 06-23-2011, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Best wishes on the new job Nick and getting the HVAC finalized.

The bright side of all this - the longer you postpone buying PJ, A/V, speakers, etc, the more technology will advance into your purchase!
Old 06-23-2011, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

The bright side of all this - the longer you postpone buying PJ, A/V, speakers, etc, the more technology will advance into your purchase!

I have followed this approach for many years. That is why it has taken me so long to get to this point . Unfortunately, the longer I wait for technology to improve, the more my hearing and eye site degrade. Therefore, I won't be able to take advantage of this new technology.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Hi Mike. The blocking is mostly to stiffen the floor above. It seems to be doing the trick quite well. I still have some work to do on it, but it is close. As far as the HVAC sheet metal noise, I used insulated flex duct above the theater, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Sorry to hear that. We have been in a similar situation. Every year my wife gets pink slipped, and after 5 years of the same , she has no tenure but some seniority. This year is the first year she knows she has a job next fall,even after being pink slipped again. And that is only a result of a shared contract for two teachers opening a role for my wife. It sucks and takes a toll, best of luck!!

Robert
Old 07-04-2011, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi, my name is Nick and I am new to the forums .

Wow, I guess it has been a while since I last posted. The dust is beginning to settle a little. I started a new job on Friday, so it was a pretty quiet weekend. I was so used to catching up on my work on the weekends I almost didn't know what to do with myself. Then it hit me - work on the theater!!

I spent some time with the family (which was really nice for a change), but I also finished up the supply ducts to the theater (and reworking another one from the first floor so I could make room for one of the new ducts). Now I just need to get the cold air return done. I also did some wiring in the main part of the basement. Soon I am going to need to pull the two temporary fixtures out of the theater since they are wired to the switch that controls the lighting for the entire basement. I need to figure out some type of new temporary lighting. One idea I had was to get some halogen lamps on a stand from Harbor Freight and run an extension cord in to the room through the door. Two stands should give me plenty of light for working.

With any luck, I will have time to continue working on the basement until I go on vacation in a few weeks. It would be really nice to knock some of this small stuff out before I leave.

I certainly hope to post more progress sooner than later. I had a hard time finding my post again .
Old 07-05-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Hi, my name is Nick and I am new to the forums .
Hi, Nick. Welcome to the forums. You look familiar, have we met before?

A suggestion for lights. If you are looking to buy some 18v cordless power toys, er, tools, you can usually find combo kits that include a flashlight. I got the drill/flashlight Ryobi starter kit a few years ago, and the flashlight will last a long time on a fully charged battery. It is easier to move around than the lamps and you can avoid the tripping hazard of the power cords.

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
Old 08-14-2011, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow - over a month since my last post!! I wish I could pop in and say "SURPRISE!!" and post a bunch of pictures of all of the work I have completed since I last posted, but that isn't going to happen. After switching jobs, I decided to take a few weeks off to go on vacation. It was great, but now I have a lot of work to catch up on around the house. One of the things I like about my new job is that I will be able to work from home a lot more. Because of that, I decided to remodel my home office. That has slowed the basement project as well. Later this week I am installing some french doors and adding some recessed lighting. then I need to do some painting and order some furniture. After that - school starts for the kids, so things should slow down as far as activities so I can focus on the theater more. My wife even asked me the other day when I was going to start working on the basement again.

I went down stairs today to try to remember what it was I was doing last . I even pulled out a ladder and taped up some of the seems on the duct work I had installed.

I'm not going to post the list of things I need to finish next since it hasn't changed since the last few times I posted it, but hopefully I will be checking in with some progress more frequently.

The most embarrassing thing is that there are people who have started their theater since I last posted and they are much further along than me. If that isn't motivation, I don't know what is.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Nick you make me laugh - you sound just like my thoughts ! I can't believe how much time slipped by this summer ... at least you have a better excuse ! (getting new job)!
Old 08-15-2011, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymo View Post

... at least you have a better excuse ! (getting new job)!

Unfortunately, it's just that - an excuse, but boy does my tan look awesome with all the time I spent outside instead of in the basement .
Old 09-11-2011, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My home office project was bigger than expected (actually, lots of scope creep). At least I am done - just waiting for the furniture to be delivered.

I was able to spend a couple of hours in the basement today. Got the access hole for the cold air return cut. Unfortunately, no matter how hard I try, I can't make the 8" round duct fit into the 5" x 9 1/4" rectangular hole I cut. I have reshaped it trying to get it to fit, but it just isn't going to happen. That is the largest I can make the hole, so I am going to have to figure something out. If I can find an 8" oval duct, it will be 3.25" x 10.5". I wonder if I can make that fit in the hole if I reshape it slightly. Open to any suggestions.

Taking a break from HVAC for the rest of the day. May go back down and work on some wiring. Now that summer is over, I have the itch to get back down in the basement and work on the theater. Hopefully I can continue to make some progress.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Nick, can you use the hole as a junction for 2 ends? Flange screw to them, your pipe to the flange. Same cross sectional area with transaction length. Via my iPhone hard to get my idea across better.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the idea Mike. I actually called a friend with a metal shop this morning and he is going to help me bend some sheet metal into a small box to slip through the hole. I will then have a transition that I can rivet/screw to each end once through the hole to adapt it to the flex duct. I will use metallic tape to seal the joints.

I'm also trying to figure out how to transport some sheets of MDF and drywall to make a dead vent between the joists to help block some of the noise from the supply lines and cold air return. there will be DD & GG on the entire ceiling, but I don't want to take any chances with the hole in the ceiling going into the flex duct. I figure it is better to take every possible step to prevent issues later. I may just rent a HD truck and get it done.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fellow homebrewer singing in, brewing this weekend actually.

I'm soon to be building my basement bar and home theater, so this project has inspired me and given me some great ideas. Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see this all done.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPuddy View Post

Fellow homebrewer singing in, brewing this weekend actually.

I'm soon to be building my basement bar and home theater, so this project has inspired me and given me some great ideas. Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see this all done.

Thanks for taking a look David. I can't wait to drink a few cold home brews at the new bar when the basement is finally complete.

Not much progress this week. I am hoping my friend can help me with the cold air return duct soon. He said he could make it for me, but his mother recently passed away and he has been busy getting her house ready to sell.

I did work on some wiring this week, but after only 30 minutes, I heard a strange noise. Ended up finding a small field mouse that had fallen into a box and was trying to figure out how to climb out. First mouse we have seen in the house in over ten years here. My son and I ended up wasting a bunch of time watching the mouse run around in the field behind our house after we released it. By the time we finished, it was getting late and I didn't get any more work done in the basement. I'm obviously easily distracted .
Old 09-18-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I feel your pain, my friend.

Now my HT is filled with all the cra.. er stuff.. we brought inside before the hurricane hit.

I am working on soffits.. probably a 1-day job if the room is clean and I have no interruptions; I think I'm on like month 6.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It looks like I may need to go to plan B on the cold air return duct. Talking with my friend on the phone last night, it seems he is so overwhelmed with everything right now that he can't keep up with everything he needs to get done. I know he will make the duct for me, but right now I just don't know when that will be. I may look into finding someone local who does sheet metal to bend it for me. I have no idea how much that may cost, but I can't imagine it will be too bad. Plus it will get the project moving again.

Watching a lot of the projects on the forum getting started again after the summer has me excited to make some progress.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

What size does the return need to be? x8 is usually a stock item at the supplier (ie 8x8, 10x8, 12x8)

Tim
Old 09-19-2011, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post
What size does the return need to be? x8 is usually a stock item at the supplier (ie 8x8, 10x8, 12x8)

Tim
The issue is that the opening is short and wide and then needs to come back in to connect to the 8" flex duct. It is just the one short piece where it passes above a beam that I am having issues. The 6" ducts were no problem. I was able to push them down slightly and make them an oval. The 8" ducts don't seem to want to cooperate with me.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Old 09-19-2011, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

Could you do it with oval pipe (also usually a stock item)?

http://www.standexadp.com/catstyle.p...groupname=Oval

Tim

From what I previously looked at, an 8" oval duct is about 10"x3.5". My hole is just 9" x 5" if I remember correctly, so this still isn't quite right. I think when I did the math, with the dimensions I have, if I make a rectangular duct, it will put me just under 8" round equivalent, so I want to use all of the space to maximize the flow.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:12 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Liked: 53
You need to be careful with your transitions and duct shape. It's the pressure losses from turbulance that can kill you. HVAC guys usually convert to equivilant length of pipe. The smoother and more laminar you can keep the airstream the better. And don't get the velocity up too high.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

You need to be careful with your transitions and duct shape. It's the pressure losses from turbulance that can kill you. HVAC guys usually convert to equivilant length of pipe. The smoother and more laminar you can keep the airstream the better. And don't get the velocity up too high.

Thanks for the advice. I would love to pay someone to just finish this up so I can move on. Unfortunately, I have not had the best luck finding someone to do what I want. The one person who seemed to understand the science of what I am trying to accomplish (my neighbor) never got back with me to quote the job. He did have a brief conversation with me a few weeks back where he apologized for forgetting about me, but at the time I had already started it myself. Now I am wondering if I shouldn't just call him again and try to get this thing knocked out.

Part of my problem is that I still worry that I am going to finish everything up and the HVAC is going to be screwed up. Then it will be too late. It doesn't need to be perfect, but I don't want the room to be hot, and I don't want the air to make noise in the theater.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:45 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Liked: 53
Around my home it's surprisingly hard to find a HVAC guy who knows the real science. Sometimes local HVAC companies will have a ME on staff who can look at it properly. Commercial guys generally seem to know more about the science. I'd try one of those routes, just to see. Many of the smaller companies here are just good ol' boys witha Duc-o-later calculator and don't know what a Manual J or Manual D calculation is. No education in the science. To make it worse it's an often arrogant trade on top of it, and a lot of them hate DIY'ers. There's some justification in that becasue one needs to understand the science, particularly with refrigeration, but the irony for me has been the most arrogant ones knew the least and thought they knew the most. The "pros" who I hired to do my main house really hosed it. I designed the basement system correctly. And if I hadn't it would heve been screwed up, too.

Not to worry you, but you can hose it if you don't know what you are doing. Many of those who think they know what they are doing get it wrong anyway. I'd at least seek out an experienced opinion. There are a couple of HVAC guuys here on the forum who are "freindly" (sorry don't remember any names). You might start a specific thread on the specific issue and see if they would chime in. I'd offer more help, but I just know enough about it from (bad) experience to know it can be done wrong.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Around my home it's surprisingly hard to find a HVAC guy who knows the real science. Sometimes local HVAC companies will have a ME on staff who can look at it properly. Commercial guys generally seem to know more about the science. I'd try one of those routes, just to see. Many of the smaller companies here are just good ol' boys witha Duc-o-later calculator and don't know what a Manual J or Manual D calculation is. No education in the science. To make it worse it's an often arrogant trade on top of it, and a lot of them hate DIY'ers. There's some justification in that becasue one needs to understand the science, particularly with refrigeration, but the irony for me has been the most arrogant ones knew the least and thought they knew the most. The "pros" who I hired to do my main house really hosed it. I designed the basement system correctly. And if I hadn't it would heve been screwed up, too.

Not to worry you, but you can hose it if you don't know what you are doing. Many of those who think they know what they are doing get it wrong anyway. I'd at least seek out an experienced opinion. There are a couple of HVAC guuys here on the forum who are "freindly" (sorry don't remember any names). You might start a specific thread on the specific issue and see if they would chime in. I'd offer more help, but I just know enough about it from (bad) experience to know it can be done wrong.

Thanks for the advice. Most of my concern (actually, probably all of my concern) comes from previous discussions in other posts. I was able to find someone who really seemed to know what they were talking about and brought in some equipment to take some measurements and seemed to take the time to understand what equipment was going to be in the room. They also understood that this room was going to be completely sealed and would have no air flow beyond what was generated through the supplies and return. He helped me size my supply and return lines. Sounds like the perfect person to do the work, but he is the neighbor who never got back with me on the quote. It was a real bummer since he was probably the best candidate to do the job.

I am planning to call him today to see if he can help out. On one hand, I really want to get past this issue. On the other hand, I would rather it slow me down by a couple of weeks vs. me screwing it up completely.

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Basement Bar