I continued working on the insulation this evening. I am really pushing to get it done so that I can move on to drywall. It is really tedious work, but it needs to be done. One of the factors that slowed down the process greatly was having to cut all of the ceiling insulation in half length wise so that it would fit between my 12" OC joists. measuring and cutting every roll with a utility knife was not fun. The other thing that slowed it down was that every row of joists had cross braces in two locations which required that each row also be cut into 3 pieces to fit. Once installed, the cross braces left a gap in the insulation.
Now that most of the insulation is in place, I am going back through and filling these gaps. First I am taking some of the leftover R13 insulation from the wall cutoffs and stuffing it above the cross braces.
Next I am taking a leftover cutoff piece from the ceiling and covering the cross braces from below. This should fill the gap so that no sound escapes.
I also decided to put a piece of R19 insulation below the 2 flex ducts that run side to side across the theater feeding the family room above. Because the duct fills so much of the joist bay, it compresses the insulation, but it fills the gaps on either side of the duct and adds a layer below the insulated duct. I got one done and have one more to complete.
Lastly, I went through and finished most of the stapling on the ceiling insulation. I only have a few more rows to complete.
When I got home from work, I decided today would be a good day to shut off the gas in the house one last time to move the shutoff valve for the fireplace that is between the joists of the theater ceiling. While it wasn't exactly warm, I figured this about the warmest it is going to be until next Spring
. My plan was to remove the valve between the joists so that I could finish my drywalling soon and then I would relocate the shutoff valve to another part of the basement where I could access it, but not until Spring when it is warmer outside and I have more time to work on it. My thought was that I still have the shutoff valve that is located in the floor next to the fireplace if I really need to turn it off. I would put the other valve in later to meet code. Here is what the floor valve looks like:
Figuring that we would be using the fireplace soon, I also decided to go ahead and light the pilot light after turning the gas back on. When I opened the panel under the fireplace, I discovered a big surprise - there was a brass shutoff valve just before the gas line connects to the fireplace. I totally forgot that it was under there. So in reality there were actually 3 valves on this one fireplace. Oh well, that saves me the trouble of having to move the other valve. Plus this is much easier to access.
Feeling good about getting so much done, I decided to push a little harder this evening and get some more work done. Since my son was outside, I had him help me move a sheet of 3/4" MDF in the garage so that I could cut the pieces for another HVAC boot. I got two sides and the top and bottom cut. I just need to cut the ends and assemble it. I am hoping to have time to cut the remaining pieces for this boot and the cold air return boot before the weekend. Once I get them installed I can temporarily install the diffusers and test the sound level of the air flowing through them to make sure they aren't loud. If there are any issues, now is the time to fix them.
Hard to believe I got so much done in just a few hours today, but I am still running on the motivation from visiting those theaters this weekend. I really can't wait to get this room finished!!