Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1236 Old 12-12-2012, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Aww ! Nick gets to open his PJ box ... how come I can't ! eek.gif

... Andy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1236 Old 12-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Congrats on the PJ. Wow if it was me i could have never packed it back eek.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #723 of 1236 Old 12-13-2012, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Getting the projector seems to have livened up the crowd a bit. I really need to stay focused on the rest of the project (pun intended).

I did some research on oak veneers last night. I may just start with the veneer for the soffits to see how things work out before spending too much money. They sell the veneer I want in both 12" and 24" widths (8' long), but I sent them a note to see if I could get it in 18" wide so I don't have a bunch of waste (plus hopefully it will reduce the price). Need their response before I place my order.

All of my wiring keystones and face plates shipped. Unfortunately, they aren't scheduled to be delivered until Monday. That means I won't be able to wrap the wiring over the weekend as planned.

post #724 of 1236 Old 12-13-2012, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I found out that the veneer I wanted only comes in 4' wide and 2' wide sheets. I went ahead and ordered enough white oak to do the soffits. I didn't want to order the veneer for the columns yet. I want to see how the soffits turn out first.

I also got word that my Buttkickers shipped today. I found an amazing deal online several weeks ago, so I went ahead and ordered them. I had only planned on buying 4 to use in the front row, but they were significantly less than I had ever seen them, so I decided to pull the trigger on 8. I was a bit skeptical because they told me they were on back order, but my credit card company told me I would be covered if they charged me and never shipped anything. I got a note that they were in stock and then I received a UPS shipping notification directly from Buttklicker. They should be delivered tomorrow.

I need to get to work on the finish work on the soffits and painting the ceiling so that I can move on to the veneer. A friend of mine told me he will have some time to help me with the veneer the week of Christmas. I definitely want to take advantage of the extra set of hands.

Not to over simplify things, but at a high level I only have a few tasks left before the theater is finished:
  • Terminate wiring
  • Finish Ceiling
  • Veneer soffits
  • Build Columns
  • Acoustic treatments
  • Carpet
  • Screen wall

Heck, that's not much. I might even be done by this weekend biggrin.gif

post #725 of 1236 Old 12-13-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

Not to over simplify things, but at a high level I only have a few tasks left before the theater is finished:
  • Terminate wiring
  • Finish Ceiling
  • Veneer soffits
  • Build Columns
  • Acoustic treatments
  • Carpet
  • Screen wall

Heck, that's not much. I might even be done by this weekend biggrin.gif
Days listed not indicate full time:
  • Terminate wiring; 2 days
  • Finish Ceiling; 2-4 days
  • Veneer soffits;3-5 days
  • Build Columns; 3-5 days
  • Acoustic treatments; DIY (10 days) or buy??
  • Carpet; installer 1 day
  • Screen wall; build - weekend 2-3 days
    Subwoofer DIY (10 days)
    Speakers DIY (20 days)
    Gear install (5 days)
    Gear calibate (5 days)

so, 70 days or so, definitely you are in the homestretch...Happy St Patrick's day is my best guess biggrin.gif

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

post #726 of 1236 Old 12-14-2012, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oops... Kind of forgot the gear. Theater wouldn't be much fun without it.wink.gif

Speaking of speakers, I have made the decision that the budget just isn't going to allow me to buy the custom commercial speakers I really want. I have slowly drifted passed my original theater budget and still need to buy a screen, pre-processor and amps in addition to the speakers.

It is looking like I am going to have to go slightly over budget if I get the screen I really want. I still need to make a final decision on the pre-processor and amps, but I am planning to temporarily use my Onkyo until the budget recovers a bit. That leaves very little for the speakers. I originally budgeted a fair amount for the speakers, but if I go that route, it will delay the whole project. I made the decision to go the DIY route and see how I like them. More info to come soon.

post #727 of 1236 Old 12-14-2012, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Schedules.... pfft. I was spackling last night. Spackling?! I missed that on the schedule wink.gif

Screen and speakers are easy to upgrade later. Depending on what DIY speakers you go with, there probably will not be a need to upgrade. If you build your own subs, you would be hard-pressed to find commercial solutions (reasonably priced) that will outperform.

I was thinking of going spandex screen just to get it done.

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #728 of 1236 Old 12-14-2012, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was thinking of going spandex screen just to get it done.

Sorry Tim, I skimmed over that sentence a little too quickly the first time I read it and I thought you were talking about the outfit you were going to wear when you watch your first movie in your theater eek.gif.
Mr.Tim likes this.

post #729 of 1236 Old 12-15-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Wait, you guys wear clothes when you're in the theater?

haha

Nick where did you end up getting your Buttkickers from? I have 2 but was thinking of grabbing 2 more.

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #730 of 1236 Old 12-15-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
My theater is clothing optional...................biggrin.gif

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #731 of 1236 Old 12-15-2012, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

My theater is clothing optional...................biggrin.gif
Regards,
RTROSE

Now I know why Big made a comment about wanting to get out of Indiana as soon as possible.

post #732 of 1236 Old 12-15-2012, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Days listed not indicate full time:
  • Terminate wiring; 2 days
  • Finish Ceiling; 2-4 days
  • Veneer soffits;3-5 days
  • Build Columns; 3-5 days
  • Acoustic treatments; DIY (10 days) or buy??
  • Carpet; installer 1 day
  • Screen wall; build - weekend 2-3 days
    Subwoofer DIY (10 days)
    Speakers DIY (20 days)
    Gear install (5 days)
    Gear calibate (5 days)
so, 70 days or so, definitely you are in the homestretch...Happy St Patrick's day is my best guess biggrin.gif

Mike,

I have avoided deadlines up until now, but this sounds like a challenge. I have decided to set a goal of having the theater done by my son's birthday which is the week after St. Patrick's day.

Now, please excuse me while I get back to work...

post #733 of 1236 Old 12-16-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Weekend update, although I didn't take any pictures because the theater is very dusty. I did take a break from the theater to go see the Hobbit with my son and wife. It's always nice to take a break to spend time with the family - even if it does slow the build down wink.gif.

I now have most of the wiring in the closet routed and trimmed so that I can terminate them once the keystones arrive. I still have a little bit of work to do for the whole house sound wiring, but that is close as well. The keystones should arrive tomorrow.

I also started prepping the sides of the soffits for paint. I filled all of the screw holes and the gap between the soffit and ceiling. In most spots it was very tight, but in a few spots the drywall wasn't perfectly flat, so I wanted to fill that gap. the gaps were only wide enough to slip a piece of paper or two through, but I think I wanted the soffit and ceiling joint to be seamless. I have sanded about half of it and hope to finish the rest of the sanding tomorrow. I will probably give the screw holes one more light coat before finish sanding everything.

I want to have the sides of the soffits painted so that I can attach the bottoms next week while I have help. I think I may try out my new HVLP sprayer for the primer and paint. Lots to do between now and then, so this will be my primary focus.

99 days and counting...

post #734 of 1236 Old 12-17-2012, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Nick, Axel stopped by Saturday for 2 of the bluray demo discs.
He said its been quiet on the HEMI meet chat recently......
With your target of sons bday this opens up a May 2013 HEMI meet in your HT/basement as a possibility, a proper AVS grand opening.

post #735 of 1236 Old 12-17-2012, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That may be an option. Looking at the list of remaining tasks is a bit overwhelming. Hopefully I can pull it off.

98 days and counting...

post #736 of 1236 Old 12-21-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

I use a HotLink Pro setup in my family room. I've been very happy with it. The Hotlink XL is the one you would use with a Cat5 cable to run between the receiver and emitters.

WARNING: I use the HotLink XL in my living room. It appeared that a lengthy Cat6 cable did NOT work with it. The one that came int he box only like 2 ft long, worked fine. Be careful, it's only a $50-100 unit anyway, there is probably another ethernet solution that works better, but hotlink XL gets way too many high reviews on amazon...

Current Projects:

ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #737 of 1236 Old 12-21-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

WARNING: I use the HotLink XL in my living room. It appeared that a lengthy Cat6 cable did NOT work with it. The one that came int he box only like 2 ft long, worked fine. Be careful, it's only a $50-100 unit anyway, there is probably another ethernet solution that works better, but hotlink XL gets way too many high reviews on amazon...

This may be due to the use of a Cat6 cable rather than a Cat5.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #738 of 1236 Old 12-21-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I'm using the HotLink XL in my HT, and it has worked fine for me. Also have the non-ethernet extendable one in my master bedroom. Yeah wonder if the cable could be an issue? I initially connected mine with a cable I terminated myself, didn't work, I swapped it out with a spare cable I had lying around and it worked so I left it that way. At the time I chalked it up to my iffy cable making skills, but who knows.

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #739 of 1236 Old 12-23-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There are a lot of things that can go wrong when terminating your own cable (poor connections, wrong pinout, etc). I think I may still give one a try. I have some cable testing equipment, so I will know right away if an issue is caused by the wiring or the unit itself.

post #740 of 1236 Old 12-23-2012, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Even with work being crazy and me scrambling to prepare for the holidays, I still got some time in on the theater. I made some good progress, but I have a feeling that the next steps are going to be more time consuming that I originally anticipated. I hope the results are worth the effort.

I was able to finish the final sanding on the sides of my soffits during the seek. Everything turned out great. With that done, I was anxious to get them painted. I originally was going to wait until this weekend to start painting, but i wanted to see how they looked. In addition, I was looking for an excuse to use my new HVLP spayer biggrin.gif. I stopped and picked up some primer on my way home Thursday. Like the walls, I asked them to tint it as dark as they could. Ended up with a dark gray again. With the primer in place, it really changes the look of the soffits. The soffits and ceiling now look continuous.

I didn't want to shoot the black paint after the light tray was installed, so I painted the perimeter of the ceiling and the sides of the soffit using my sprayer. I have seen black Roscoe paint in person before, but I have never used it myself. It was really easy to work with. Diluting it per the instructions on the can worked really well in my sprayer. It seemed really thin, but I have read other reviews that said the results were not as good when not diluted per the instructions. The only other issue I ran into was spraying the paint too heavy at first. I dialed the sprayer down and then it worked fantastic. It was amazing how painting just the perimeter of the room sucks the light right out of the room. Even with two 500 watt halogen work lamps, it was noticeably darker in the room. That's ok - that's exactly what I was looking for.

With the perimeter painted, I wanted to try out my idea of veneering my light tray with oak. I did one of the small sections of the soffit in the rear of the theater to start with since it was easier to work with the smaller pieces. First I cut and attached the bottom of the soffit. I rounded over the edges before installing.

Next I glued and clamped the edge of the light tray.

While waiting for the glue to dry, I cut the hole for the can light and filled the screw holes.

After a final sanding, I wrapped the soffit in white oak veneer. In the past when I have veneered I have used contact cement, but I can't imagine trying to use it overhead. It is hard enough on a bench in front of you, but with gravity working against me, I just couldn't see it being very easy. I decided to go with a PSA adhesive attached. It ended up working out great. It made it much easier to work overhead.

Even thought the edges were rounded over, I was worried that the corners may be too sharp and could cause the veneer to split. Luckily, working it slowly, it worked out fine. I am still a bit worried about finishing the rest of the light tray, but I will just need to take my time and work carefully.

I have to admit, I am very pleased with the results so far. If the rest of the light tray comes out this good, it will be well worth the effort.

post #741 of 1236 Old 12-24-2012, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks great, Nick. Is that sprayer fantastic for $50, or what?

The oak looks great. I've used the PVA but had bubbles develop over time. I think it was because I didn't get 100% contact.

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #742 of 1236 Old 12-24-2012, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

+1 on great progress Nick, your build is coming along nicely, the wood veneer on your soffit underside looks great.
You get an official "1 day pass" to rest now to celebrate Christmas with your family, come Dec-26 we expect you top be cranking along!

post #743 of 1236 Old 12-24-2012, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

Looks great, Nick. Is that sprayer fantastic for $50, or what?
The oak looks great. I've used the PVA but had bubbles develop over time. I think it was because I didn't get 100% contact.
Tim

Thanks Tim. I think I got the idea for the sprayer from you, so thanks again for the idea. It is amazing.

By PVA, I assume you are talking about the vinyl veneer? This is actual oak veneer, but I had the place I bought it from apply a 3M adhesive to it. They also suggested that I not use a roller because they said I may not get as good of an adhesion. I actually used a scraper that they recommended. It worked really well. Even though I had rubbed it out with my hands first, I could feel the wood pressing down and flattening out. I know contact cement would have been the ideal solution, but I just couldn't imagine trying to get everything lined up overhead in one shot and not screwing it up.

post #744 of 1236 Old 12-24-2012, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

+1 on great progress Nick, your build is coming along nicely, the wood veneer on your soffit underside looks great.
You get an official "1 day pass" to rest now to celebrate Christmas with your family, come Dec-26 we expect you top be cranking along!

Thanks Mike. My wife sure will appreciate that pass biggrin.gif. Last night she asked me "you aren't planning to work on the theater on Christmas are you? You can take one day off". I got the hint. No theater for the next few days, but then back at it. I have a deadline to hit.

ps. Good thing she didn't say anything about reading AVS wink.gif.

post #745 of 1236 Old 12-24-2012, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Merry Christmas! Enjoy your wife mandated HT hiatus, but just don't get too comfortable!

Warmest Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #746 of 1236 Old 12-25-2012, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks RTROSE! Merry Christmas to you and the rest of the AVS family as well. Enjoy the holiday.

post #747 of 1236 Old 12-28-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Nick - a while back you posted about running drops for extra subs as line level (via RG6U/etc) or speaker wire, what are pros and cons.

Lesson learned from my HT, both can work.
I'm doing 2nd/3rd sub for multi-sub approach, I have 15a wall plugs that are on a different circuit than my IB sub, and those cause slight 60hz ground loop hummmmm. frown.gif
In my HT I wired for 2nd/3rd sub on LH wall front/rear, that is RG6U coax, I should have also ran dedicated circuits there with same tie into circuit breaker as my IB sub is running off to be on same ground plane.

This way a plate amp sub could have been used in those different locations for flexibility.

As it is, I'll now have to run speaker wire for the 2nd/3rd subwoofers....

How did you end up running those added sub drops?
(or was it buttkicker drops??)

post #748 of 1236 Old 12-28-2012, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow, that's a real bummer Mike. How hard is it going to be to run new speaker wires? Also, have you confirmed that you have a good ground on the RG6. Make sure the fitting on the end is properly grounded to the jacket on the wire.

I ran both speaker wire and RG6 just in case. I have one of each running to the front and two in the rear. That should hopefully cover all of the configurations I might need.

Have you started building your speakers yet?

post #749 of 1236 Old 12-29-2012, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I've got good ground on the RG6 connectors, it's the slight difference in ground plane potential between the wall circuit and the AVR/Rack circuits that causes the hum, classic electrical issue.

With your HT being much better for soundproofing than mine, every little "hum" you will notice, if you did not run 120v next to your RG6 that is off same circuit as your AV rack, then you might experience ground loop or you might not, toss of dice.

My 2nd/3rd subwoofer project (added link in my signature for it), 18" and 12" drivers ordered from PE, expected next week.....sawdust time soon biggrin.gif

Now that Christmas is over, where are all your HT progress picts?

post #750 of 1236 Old 12-29-2012, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There are two electrical circuits running to the front of the room through the same soffit as the speaker wiring (including the RG6 for the sub). One is for two electrical outlets that will be on their own circuit and the other is for the lights above the stage which will be on a lighting circuit. In addition, I tried to separate the electrical from the low voltage as much as possible. the electrical all runs through the lower/outer corner of the soffit and the low voltage wiring all runs through a plenum rated flexible conduit in the upper/inner corner of the soffit. Hopefully this combination will prevent problems. Worst case, I could run an amp off the rack and use the 12 gauge speaker wires I ran.

About your other question.... Was I supposed to be working on the theater this week? wink.gif Maybe I will post a teaser photo later today. Santa did bring me my own digital camera so that I will stop borrowing my wife's all the time.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Basement Bar

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page