post #1081 of 1236 Old 07-04-2013, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35

Carpet day 4

Happy 4th of July.

Both installers showed up today and worked a full day.  Things are really coming together now.  In addition to the main floor, the riser top is complete as well as most of the stage top (the ends need to be trimmed.  They also seamed the carpet for the stage step and put on most of the face of the riser.

Didn't quite get it across the goal line today, but the main installer is coming back tomorrow to try to finish up.

Note that there is a piece of carpet running side to side in the theater for the stage step.  It makes the pattern look like it is off because it blends in with the carpet that has already been laid.

Since I wasn't able to work in the theater today, I completed some more on my speaker cabinets. I have the initial sanding complete on 6 of the 9 cabinets.  I also laid out the components for my crossovers so that I could figure out what other parts I will need.  I have a little more research to do before I start the assembly on the crossovers.

Starting to get anxious for the carpet to be done so I can finish the floor outlets, bring in the chairs and hand the screen.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1236 Old 07-04-2013, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Where did you order the carpet? what type of padding are you using?
post #1083 of 1236 Old 07-05-2013, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Carpet day 5

FINAL CARPET DAY!!

Finally, the carpet is done.  The installer put in a full day today.  He was here until after 7:00pm putting on the finishing touches.  I have to say, seeing the carpet finished - I am just blown away.  I love the carpet I chose and having a fantastic installer took it over the top for me.  I couldn't be happier.

The installer and I talked for a while when he was done.  He admitted it was much more difficult than he originally anticipated.  What surprised me was that it wasn't the curves, steps, etc. that made it more difficult.  He said it was the woven carpet that made it more difficult.  It only bends in one direction and all of the carpet must lay in the same direction, so it was a real challenge getting everything perfect.

All of this hard work, including 3 extra days, and he didn't ask for a penny extra.  His price was already extremely reasonable.  I insisted on paying him extra.  It was well worth it.

Now for a few pics.  I still have some dusting to do.  There was carpet fuzz everywhere when he was done.  He brought in a 16 gallon shop vac and we almost filled it with fuzz. 

More updates to come soon.

post #1084 of 1236 Old 07-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
That came out beautiful, congrats!
post #1085 of 1236 Old 07-05-2013, 07:14 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 236
REALLY sharp, Nick! Everything came out very nice and your carpet pick is top-notch.

You can tell the guy knew what he was doing with the way he lined up the pattern across all the different tiers. Looks like it would be worthwhile to fly this guy to Charlotte when it comes time for my woven carpet install...
post #1086 of 1236 Old 07-05-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Now aren't you glad you went that way. Looks great.
post #1087 of 1236 Old 07-06-2013, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Looks excellent, Nick. Congratulations!

Tim
post #1088 of 1236 Old 07-06-2013, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Great Job Nick!! Everything looks fantastic.

Your experiences with the trans-tints and learning to spray paralleled mine.
Its a great tool to have in the bag and the end result can't be beat as clearly shown in your room.

Brad

My Basement HT Construction ~ Faster than the speed of Dark

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
post #1089 of 1236 Old 07-06-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

Carpet day 5

FINAL CARPET DAY!!

Finally, the carpet is done.  The installer put in a full day today.  He was here until after 7:00pm putting on the finishing touches.  I have to say, seeing the carpet finished - I am just blown away.  I love the carpet I chose and having a fantastic installer took it over the top for me.  I couldn't be happier.

The installer and I talked for a while when he was done.  He admitted it was much more difficult than he originally anticipated.  What surprised me was that it wasn't the curves, steps, etc. that made it more difficult.  He said it was the woven carpet that made it more difficult.  It only bends in one direction and all of the carpet must lay in the same direction, so it was a real challenge getting everything perfect.

All of this hard work, including 3 extra days, and he didn't ask for a penny extra.  His price was already extremely reasonable.  I insisted on paying him extra.  It was well worth it.

Now for a few pics.  I still have some dusting to do.  There was carpet fuzz everywhere when he was done.  He brought in a 16 gallon shop vac and we almost filled it with fuzz. 

More updates to come soon.

Looking good !!!

Congrats on progress. I can't wait to see more.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1090 of 1236 Old 07-06-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for all of the compliments everyone.  Even though the room isn't complete, it is starting to reflect my final vision for the room.  My family is really starting to appreciate how much time I am putting into the theater.  They actually want me to go back down and keep working so I can finish biggrin.gif.

post #1091 of 1236 Old 07-07-2013, 08:11 AM

really nice.
post #1092 of 1236 Old 07-07-2013, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now that the carpet is done, I am really driven to finish up the theater.  I got a lot done since Friday.  I began by installing the outlets in the face of the riser and in the floor of the riser.

Then I finished up the connectors in the face and floor for the Buttkickers and subs.

Lastly, I finished up the step lights.  

Once those are done, I finally wired the temporary switches for the lights behind the screen, the step lights and the rope lights.  I originally was just going to wait for my z-wave switches to come in, but they contacted me to tell me they are on back order until late July.  I decided to go ahead and install the temporary switches while I wait.  No dimming, but for $1 each, I won't complain.

Unfortunately, the lights behind the screen didn't have the effect I wanted at all.  It just lights the screen up white.  My son and I tested moving various types of lights around behind the screen and you can't see anything.  If you get really close to the screen form behind, you can see a shadow.  I don't know if this is because of the random pattern of the weave on my screen?  If so, my idea of being able to show off the speakers through the screen is shot.  If nothing else, I can use them for working behind the screen.

I also began putting equipment into the rack.  No more stacks of boxes being stored in my office.  One thing I quickly noticed is that 36U is not as much as I thought.  I always was blown away by people who have two full racks.  I suddenly realized that I will likely fill mine fast.  With the way I have it configured right now, I have room to add a 3 U power processor (more on that in a second) and 3 2U pieces of equipment for my whole house sound.  Not even enough room for a drawer to store remotes or a gaming console (not a big deal, don't plan to do much gaming in the theater).  Here is how it is currently laid out.  One empty shelf is for the DirecTV receiver I haven't moved to the basement.  The other two are for planned equipment.  

I decided to look into a power conditioner, and possibly a UPS.  I am not in a heavily populated area and I have frequent power surges, brown outs and even power outages.  My power goes out momentarily multiple times per month.  I even have an extended outage (2-3 days) a couple of times a year.  I really think I should take every precaution I can to protect my equipment.  I have lost equipment in the past.  I even lost a router, network switch and modem that I thought were protected when lightening struck and went through the cable line.  Apparently they didn't properly ground it mad.gif.  Now I am doing everything I can to protect my equipment.  I haven't decided what to purchase yet.  Most of the equipment is pretty pricey, so I have some more research to do before making a decision.

With those items complete, I decided to work on the screen wall.  I got the bottom brace painted and installed.  I then decided to have my son help me install the fabric on the screen.  It is a 140" Seymour Screen Excellence EN4K curved screen.  We began by laying some plastic on the floor so the white screen fabric wouldn't get any black carpet "fuzz" on it.  We then laid out the frame and installed the fabric per the instructions.  I was a little nervous about messing it up, but it wasn't bad at all.

I decided not to trim the fabric quite yet just in case I need to make any adjustments.  The only thing left to do was hang it.

I then tested out the masking panels

Everything about the EN4K screen is top notch.  I am really happy with the quality.  The frame is extremely square, the fabric is fantastic - can't detect any weave from the seating position, and the masking panels are simple to install.  The only thing I can pick on is the velvet on the masking panels is very, very wrinkly and doesn't sit flat at all.  They are big wrinkles.  Not a huge deal, but I would have thought they would have put the same effort into the panels as the main screen.

Even though I don't have all of the acoustic panels complete yet, I decided to go ahead and move the chairs in the theater so they don't take up so much space in the rest of the basement.  It's great to see them in place.  The way they are currently set up (rear seats pulled forward from the rear wall), it is nice, but with both rows fully reclined it would be tight for a middle chair in the rear to get out.  I may play around with the position later.  I will be moving them forward to work on the back wall anyway.

WIth the chairs in the theater, I decided to mount the Buttkickers (each chair will have a BK Advanced unit).  The Fusion Escape chairs have a mounting plate built in and the shaker mounts matched right up.  I went to the store and picked up some carriage bolts to mount them.  All they had were 1" long and 1 1/2" long bolts.  The 1" barely grabbed onto the bolt and the 1 1/2" bolts looked like they were hitting the top of the carpet.  I am going to try to find some 1 1/4" bolts.

Hopefully I will have some time in the next couple of days to measure for the rack wiring.  I would like to get it ordered soon.  My anamorphic lens should be shipping soon, so I will be able to finish the projector mount.  I the mean time, I plan to get back to building acoustic panels So I can finish those up.

The to-do list finally starting to shrink.

post #1093 of 1236 Old 07-07-2013, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 183
post #1094 of 1236 Old 07-07-2013, 06:36 PM

Liked: 13
You're moving along now! Very nice.
post #1095 of 1236 Old 07-10-2013, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 162
smile.gif for your progress Nick!
Now where is the projected screen image shot with a movie?
post #1096 of 1236 Old 07-14-2013, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Weekly update - I was originally supposed to go out of town this weekend, but our plans changed at the last minute.  Probably a good thing, because some toys showed up biggrin.gif.

Earlier in the week I mounted all of the shakers on the chairs.  Took a couple of tries.  the first set of bolts were too short, so I got some longer ones, but those extended down to the floor, which I didn't like.  I ended up ordering the exact length online.  Cost more for the shipping than the bolts.  Still was only $6.00, so I am happy I got exactly what I was looking for.

So, on to the toys.  I knew my lens and cineslide were supposed to show up Friday.  I asked my wife to stick around so she could sign for them (I owe her big time).  She called me and told me that Fedex came, but they didn't ask her to sign.  I thought that was odd, but then she realized it was a different shipment and wasn't my toys frown.gif.  I was really bummed that the lens wasn't going to be there as planned.

20 minutes later I got another call telling me a different Fedex truck showed up with the lens.  Go figure.  Sounds efficient to me.  Doesn't matter.  They got it here in time for the weekend.

On Saturday I built the plywood box to house the projector and lens.  I was originally going to veneer it, but once I saw how big the box ended up being, I decided the veneer would draw attention to it.  I decided to paint in flat black for now and see how I like it.

I got up early this morning and mounted the projector and cineslide.  After a call to Scott this afternoon to ensure I knew how to properly mount the lens, I got it up.  I still need to finish up the wiring for my power bridge (just the outlet in the projector box), so I have a temporary cord running to the box for testing.

Once Everything was up, of course I had to test it.  My questions would finally be answered - Will people's heads block the image?  Will it fit on the screen?

Simple answer - no issues at all.  A bit of adjusting and all is great.

A bad shot of the new projector box.  Lighting wasn't very good:

A couple of screen shots:

16:9

Anamorphic

DirecTV screen shot

Closeup:

Lastly, a quick video of the cineslide in action with the new Isco lens

The only real issue I ran into (besides not having speakers wink.gif) was an HDMI handshake issue between a couple of my components and the projector.  I started with my Oppo DVD player and it worked fine.  I then switched the same cable to my dune player and just saw some flickering.  Finally, my Directv wasn't working.  I ran a shorter cable between the components and the projector (ran it across the room rather than through the soffit) and it worked fine with all components.  I swapped one cable on the back of the rack and everything was fine.

I obviously have lots of tuning to do, but that can come later.  I still have some things to do before I can even think about watching any movies.  I intentionally left my speakers for last so I would be motivated to finish.  The funny thing is that my sons and i watched about 20 minutes of despicable me with subtitles.

Next up:  Back to the panels.

post #1097 of 1236 Old 07-14-2013, 07:50 PM

Liked: 22
Now one thing I request. A picture of the family in the theater. I love to see people in the theater instead of just an empty room. Magazines and websites with an empty theater is like seeing a beautiful Harley Motorcycle being towed on a trailer.

John Burton

post #1098 of 1236 Old 07-15-2013, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Carpet came out great, I thought of using black instead of red, looks like it would have been a good choice too. You are almost there!

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #1099 of 1236 Old 07-15-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I like your picture of the evil supervillain! The pictures of Gru are good too!
post #1100 of 1236 Old 07-15-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 107
post #1101 of 1236 Old 07-15-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

I like your picture of the evil supervillain! The pictures of Gru are good too!

Took me a second, but that is funny.

post #1102 of 1236 Old 07-15-2013, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

IfixitBIG, will have to get the family together for a photo in the theater.  The problem isn't getting them in the theater, it will be getting them out again biggrin.gif.

post #1103 of 1236 Old 07-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Forgive my ignorance but can you do a 2:35 setup without a lens and cineslide setup? Also, was it worth the cost to buy the frame from Seymour?
post #1104 of 1236 Old 07-15-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Several projectors have the ability to zoom the image so that only the picture is on the screen while the black bars are outside the frame. JVC, Sony, and Panasonic have projectors with zoom memory so you can set different aspect ratios and flip back and forth between them without having to manually adjust it each time.
post #1105 of 1236 Old 07-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

I decided to look into a power conditioner, and possibly a UPS.  I am not in a heavily populated area and I have frequent power surges, brown outs and even power outages.  My power goes out momentarily multiple times per month.  I even have an extended outage (2-3 days) a couple of times a year.  I really think I should take every precaution I can to protect my equipment.  I have lost equipment in the past.  I even lost a router, network switch and modem that I thought were protected when lightening struck and went through the cable line.  Apparently they didn't properly ground it mad.gif .  Now I am doing everything I can to protect my equipment.  I haven't decided what to purchase yet.  Most of the equipment is pretty pricey, so I have some more research to do before making a decision.

FWIW, I am using a pair of the Tripp Lite 2400W Rack Mount line conditioners.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000514M8

I actually put the line conditioners all the way to the bottom, and the amps to the top of the rack. I didn't want the heat from the amps to rise up through all my components. Of course, if you have those nice cool Class D switching amps, it probably doesn't matter where they are. Though one can argue I don't want my hottest components at the top, as the will be even hotter, if the heat isn't properly exhausted out of the equipment closet.
post #1106 of 1236 Old 07-15-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraunch View Post

Forgive my ignorance but can you do a 2:35 setup without a lens and cineslide setup? Also, was it worth the cost to buy the frame from Seymour?

As Vanice mentioned, there are other methods to accomplish the same thing.  There are pluses and minuses to each method.  It really depends on what your goal is, but they will all provide an anamorphic image.

There is a 2.35:1 constant image height section in the display devices forum.  You can learn more than you ever wanted to know over there.

post #1107 of 1236 Old 07-15-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordon View Post

FWIW, I am using a pair of the Tripp Lite 2400W Rack Mount line conditioners.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000514M8

I actually put the line conditioners all the way to the bottom, and the amps to the top of the rack. I didn't want the heat from the amps to rise up through all my components. Of course, if you have those nice cool Class D switching amps, it probably doesn't matter where they are. Though one can argue I don't want my hottest components at the top, as the will be even hotter, if the heat isn't properly exhausted out of the equipment closet.

Thanks Geordon.  I was taking a look at those.  I made an offer to a dealer on a factory reconditioned Furman F1500 with new batteries and 3 year warranty.  If he accepts it, the unit will cost less than two of the Tripp Lite units.  If he doesn't accept it, I am going to keep looking.  While I want to protect my equipment, I don't want to spend a fortune doing it.

I bought a couple of different units off of ebay that ended at a good price.  Both were sealed units from the factory.  Equally as amazing was how both vendors magically made an error on their listing once it ended at a low cost and were not able to provide the unit in the listing.  I actually told the second one "that's OK, what do you have?  I may take it."  I didn't hear back from him and my paypal account had a refund within 5 minutes.  I decided to check locally instead.

I have been doing some planning for the heat in my rack.  I spaced a couple of pieces of equipment so I could fit some perforated filler panels to allow for air flow.  In addition, I was given a Middle Atlantic 1U fan unit.  I mounted it near the top of my rack to pull out air.  I figured with the vented panels at the bottom and the fan at the top it will circulate air.  I am going to mount a wired remote temperature sensor in my rack closet at different locations with all equipment running to see what kind of temperatures it generates with my current setup.  If needed, I have a couple of other ideas.

post #1108 of 1236 Old 07-15-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Looking really nice, Nick. It's been 2.5 yrs since I first posted in your thread biggrin.gif

We're both been inching along neck-and-neck, but it looks like you may beat me to the finish line.

Any chance I can talk you into picking up a new hobby before you complete the theater? Fast cars? Wine? Philately? ANYTHING?!

Tim
post #1109 of 1236 Old 07-15-2013, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Remember Tim, slow and steady wins the race.  Keep moving and you could still beat me.  My ADD is bound to kick in at any moment.

post #1110 of 1236 Old 07-15-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraunch View Post

You can, if it is installed within the limits of the projectors that can use the zoom method. The lens is the higher end option.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Basement Bar

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page