Nick's Homebrew Bar and Entertainment Area - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1236 Old 08-06-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35

I just spoke with Emtek customer service again.  They actually connected me directly with the person I spoke with yesterday.  She said they are in a different building down the street from the factory, so they send an electronic request to the factory to pull the parts.  She said they usually ship in 1-3 days.  That's not bad at all.

The only other thing I noticed is that the strike plate is about 1/2" shorter than I would like.  I want the lip to wrap around the front of the panel to fully protect it.  Emtek only makes the standard plate and one size of extended plate (which they shipped to me).  I was able to find the exact size I wanted in a flat black finish online from another manufacturer.  For $4.50, I figure it is a good investment to protect the corner of the acoustic panel where the latch passes by.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1236 Old 08-06-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Correct me if I'm wrong - didn't you order initially through a 3rd party retailer? At this rate, it seems like you should have been on the phone directly with Emtek from the beginning. Was that possible?
post #1173 of 1236 Old 08-06-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Hmmm.. what did I get in the mail yesterday?

biggrin.gif

Tim
post #1174 of 1236 Old 08-06-2013, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Always one step ahead of me Tim... mad.gif

post #1175 of 1236 Old 08-06-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong - didn't you order initially through a 3rd party retailer? At this rate, it seems like you should have been on the phone directly with Emtek from the beginning. Was that possible?

No, Emtek will not sell directly.  When I tried to contact them after about a month, they told me I needed the retailer's PO number to look it up.  Once I explained my frustration about waiting 2 months and then it not fitting, they were more than willing to help me out directly.

post #1176 of 1236 Old 08-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17

Did you finish your cross overs yet? Those look exactly like how I laid mine out and they work great! (Maybe you referenced mine?) 

post #1177 of 1236 Old 08-08-2013, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit73 View Post

Did you finish your cross overs yet? Those look exactly like how I laid mine out and they work great! (Maybe you referenced mine?) 

no, I haven't had time to work on them. I have been traveling with the family for the last few days and won't get back to the theater until this weekend (glad they convinced me to take a break).

I believe it was your layout I used for mine. Thanks for the detailed instructions. Now if I can get some help with my Fusion 8 crossover I will be set wink.gif .
post #1178 of 1236 Old 08-09-2013, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

no, I haven't had time to work on them. I have been traveling with the family for the last few days and won't get back to the theater until this weekend (glad they convinced me to take a break).

I believe it was your layout I used for mine. Thanks for the detailed instructions. Now if I can get some help with my Fusion 8 crossover I will be set wink.gif .

Excellent.
post #1179 of 1236 Old 08-09-2013, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

Excellent.

Can't let Tim win. Leaving the family and catching a flight home now to get back to work.
post #1180 of 1236 Old 08-11-2013, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Thanks.  I hope so, because I am ready to be done smile.gif

I just wrote on Mr Tims thread how theres a few of us rushing for the fall/football season finish line. Though its weird, now that my projector works and seats are in, i dont even notice that all the trim molding is missing... lol
post #1181 of 1236 Old 08-11-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES View Post

I just wrote on Mr Tims thread how theres a few of us rushing for the fall/football season finish line. Though its weird, now that my projector works and seats are in, i dont even notice that all the trim molding is missing... lol

Yep. Hanging the PJ is usually the kiss of death for progress. I hung mine a while back, but had no screen. Screen going in today, so we will find out if progress slows biggrin.gif

Tim
post #1182 of 1236 Old 08-11-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
It will, or you are one of exemplary will power. smile.gif
post #1183 of 1236 Old 08-11-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Excellent.

LOL

biggrin.gif
post #1184 of 1236 Old 08-11-2013, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES View Post

That's exactly why I left the speakers for last.  I have been burning the candle at both ends between work being busy and me coming home and working on the theater the rest of my free time.  I would have completely stopped if I could watch (and hear) movies.

Last night my wife (huge Steelers fan) turned on the pre-season game.  I was thinking about turning it on in the theater just  to see how the game would look in HD on the 140" screen - then I thought - "better not".

post #1185 of 1236 Old 08-11-2013, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep. Hanging the PJ is usually the kiss of death for progress. I hung mine a while back, but had no screen. Screen going in today, so we will find out if progress slows biggrin.gif

Tim

So, I come home from vacation and had two major disappointments:

1.  The elves didn't finish the theater like I asked them to.  Something about a dispute with the shoe laborers.

2.  I discover that Mr. Tim has been sandbagging this whole time and has made a ton of progress.  I wouldn't be surprised if he announces he is finished tomorrow.

post #1186 of 1236 Old 08-11-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Queue the Rocky music....

Quote:
Let me tell you something you already know.The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place, and I don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you hit, it’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! 

-ROCKY-

Decided to keep my chin up and keep working away on the theater.  I made a lot of progress.

Now that I have everything in place on my rack, I decided to clean up some of the wiring.  I had ordered some XLR cables to run from the pre-pro to the amp.  Those came in Friday, so I got them installed.  I also ran the speaker wiring from the rack to the connectors in the back of the closet.  I still need to run the wiring for the subs and shakers.  All of the other wiring is cleaned up.  I just need to make custom length network cables for the equipment that uses ethernet.  (I forgot to take some pictures before pushing the rack back in).

I also continued working on the acoustic panels.  Big news is that I only have two panels left to make on the main walls.  One on the door wall and one on the opposite wall.  Then I need to finish the closets, cover the bass traps and make the velvet panels for the sides of the screen wall.

Rear left wall complete:

Rear wall complete:

Door wall nearing completion:

My door knob extension kit also came in from Emtek  Looks like it should be exactly what I need.  The extended strike plates should be in on Tuesday.  I can then get the knob installed.

I also decided to work on the speakers a bit more.  I got two cross-overs put together (thanks to Cheezit73's high res photos!).  They still need to be soldered, but the boards are drilled and the components are mounted.  Now I need to find a layout for my Fusion 8 speaker cross-overs and I will be set.

If I can get these last two panels finished, I think I am going to turn my focus to the speakers.

I still have a lot to do, but I am hoping the theater will at least be "operational" by Labor Day.

post #1187 of 1236 Old 08-11-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

No, won't be done tomorrow. You're still in the race!

I just racked up my equipment. I got the XLR cables from monoprice, no issues. If you need some, don't hesitate.

The fabric is turning out really nice.

Make sure you have a decent iron for the crossovers. At least 60w.. 100w is even better.

Tim
post #1188 of 1236 Old 08-11-2013, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tim, 

I got all of my cables from Monoprice.  You can't beat their prices and their quality is great.

I have a really nice soldering station, but I think I am going to use a soldering gun or a propane iron since these aren't circuit boards.

post #1189 of 1236 Old 08-12-2013, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tim, 

I got all of my cables from Monoprice.  You can't beat their prices and their quality is great.

I have a really nice soldering station, but I think I am going to use a soldering gun or a propane iron since these aren't circuit boards.

I have a 60w station and it does the trick.

The soldering gun is way faster, and like you said there is little chance of burning anything up.. I was soldering banana plugs last night and even the gun was a little slow.

Tim
post #1190 of 1236 Old 08-12-2013, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Earlier today I was investigating how to build the crossovers for my Fusion 8 surround speakers.  I noticed that the pictures of the crossover on the DIY Sound Group site, as well as a build thread here on AVS, had an extra inductor coil that my schematic didn't include.  I contacted Jeff Bagby who designed the speakers and he told me that he modified the design a couple of days later and didn't realize anyone had received the early design.

I went ahead and ordered the missing coils and hope to have them in a few days.

Don't worry Tim, I won't blame you for this delay wink.gif.

post #1191 of 1236 Old 08-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm interested to see the Fusion 8 layout as I think I will use those as my surrounds.
post #1192 of 1236 Old 08-13-2013, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

wraunch,

I will post some pictures once I am done. 

post #1193 of 1236 Old 08-13-2013, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just noticed that DIY is finally selling assembled crossovers!
post #1194 of 1236 Old 08-13-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraunch View Post

Just noticed that DIY is finally selling assembled crossovers!

Yes, and they are reasonably priced.  I would consider it if I didn't already have the parts.

post #1195 of 1236 Old 08-18-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I didn't take a lot of pictures this week, but hopefully I can take a few more in the next couple of days.

The big news of the week is that the panels on the main walls are DONE!!  I still need to make two panels to cover the base traps, two velvet panels to cover the sides of the screen wall and I need to figure out what I am doing with the closets in the back of the room.

The door wall and opposite wall look great.  The large panels that curved around the steps weren't as bad as I thought they would be.

Door wall with new knob installed:

Far wall:

I decided to work on the speakers before messing with any more panels.  I painted two of the front speakers and two of the surround speakers with black Duratex.  I like the look.  The speakers won't be seen, so I figured it would be a good finish to use.  

I finished soldering up the 3 front crossovers.  I tested a couple of them with the drivers sitting out of the cabinets. I was worried that they barely made any noise.  I was able to assemble the left and right front speakers and hook them up to try them out.  First, here is a photo of the crossover in the speaker cabinet:

When I hooked up the first speaker in the theater, nothing happened.  Of course I panicked.  Remember to always read the instructions for your equipment.  I used XLR cables between the pre-pro and amp.  I forgot to switch each input to "balanced".  Oooops.  With both speakers connected I went in to the pre-pro and selected "no center" and "no surrounds".  I changed the left and right speaker size to "large".  I didn't change any other settings.

My first impressions:

• The sound is very clear at all volumes.  I am very happy.
  • The speakers were not nearly as loud as I expected.  Even when turning it up with some music from one of the Directv music stations.  I may have to play around with this a bit.  Don't get me wrong, it is plenty loud, but even my small speakers on my family room TV are much louder at half volume.
  • The speakers don't seem to put out as much low frequency sound as I thought they would.  I don't know if there is a setting somewhere that I need to change.  I thought setting the speakers to large would turn off the sub crossover.  I think I have some reading to do.

I watched several movie clips and some bits of various tv shows.  I was really happy considering I only have two speakers installed.  I also turned up some music to "72" (out of 100) which was pretty loud and I closed the door and went upstairs.  I didn't hear anything upstairs, but could hear some sound outside of the theater.  I don't have my door bottom seal installed, so that may be part of it.

I started the layout for my surround crossovers.  Hopefully I can get them assembled during the week.  I would like to get the rest of the speakers finished by next weekend so I can watch some movies labor day weekend.

post #1196 of 1236 Old 08-18-2013, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:

The speakers were not nearly as loud as I expected.  Even when turning it up with some music from one of the Directv music stations.  I may have to play around with this a bit.  Don't get me wrong, it is plenty loud, but even my small speakers on my family room TV are much louder at half volume.
Sometimes I feel that way about the Cheap Thrills I built - but I know that if I turn it up more and more, they just keep getting louder. The lack of strain and distortion is the thing here, I think. We learn that "too loud" sounds distorted - but too loud doesn't have to. wink.gif
post #1197 of 1236 Old 08-18-2013, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

Sometimes I feel that way about the Cheap Thrills I built - but I know that if I turn it up more and more, they just keep getting louder. The lack of strain and distortion is the thing here, I think. We learn that "too loud" sounds distorted - but too loud doesn't have to. wink.gif

Thanks!  That makes sense.  I was able to turn it all the way up and it was loud, and also very clear.  I'm not sure that I would ever listen to it that loud.

post #1198 of 1236 Old 08-18-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Hey man, it's been awhile since I have checked in and looked around. Looks like things are going along at a pretty good pace and looking good. Nice score on the popper, those are some high quality units for sure and to score one for $275 is a great deal. Keep up the good work you are making excellent progress.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #1199 of 1236 Old 08-19-2013, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

It looks like the tempests start dropping at 80dB.. Below 50 they fall off a cliff. I think with the sub on you will find they sound great.

Tim
post #1200 of 1236 Old 08-20-2013, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I did some more listening in the theater last night.  I did some "A/B" listening (sort of).  I watched some clips from a few HD shows I had recorded on DirecTV in the theater and then watched the same clips on my family room TV.  I also listened to some music on both.  Now that I have had a chance to actually sit down and compare the two, I think Fred and Tim are right. 

My family room system isn't as loud as I was thinking it was.  Once I actually sat and listened to the two systems back to back, I realized the theater was louder than I was thinking.  Also, as Fred mentioned, the theater is completely clear even at full volume.  The family room speakers begin to distort which gives the impression that they are getting loud, but in reality they weren't really that loud.  In addition, the family room has surround speakers which help fill the space more.  I'm sure that made a difference.

With regards to the bass, while I had set the speakers to "large" in the pre-pro and said no sub, there was another setting for crossover.  It was set to 250, so I lowered it to 80 which helped.  Like the loudness, when comparing the same clips on both systems, the family room really didn't have the bass that I was thinking it did.  Comparing like clips, I could clearly see that the theater was much better.  As Tim mentioned, they will likely sound much better with the subs in place to supplement the sound.

The only way to fix these issues is to add more speaker biggrin.gif.  Last night I sanded and primed the center channel cabinets and the remaining two surrounds.  Hopefully tonight I will have time to sand and prime the two sub boxes.  Then I just need to paint the 5 boxes and build the crossovers for the surrounds.

Last night, my wife and I watched part of the Steeler's game in the theater.  She has been very supportive of this project, but last night was the first time I saw her truly excited.  She was taking pictures with her phone and sending them to her brothers.  She made the comment that she felt like she was at the game.

Things are continuing to move along.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Basement Bar

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page