In search of a table saw - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 12-30-2010, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know there was a thread somewhere discussing tools, but I was not able to find it, so I started my own new thread.

I am in the market for a table saw. While I don't really need one to own as I don't do all that much wood work, I also don't want to have to borrow one every time I might need one. Plus, owning one is just plain cool and I have some CC points so essentially I can make it free.

So, I will start by saying that I have been really happy with my Dewalt drill, it seems to take a beating and keep going. I also like my Dewalt miter saw, again, I dont use this a ton, but it is nice to have. I love my Milwaukee circular saw and that quickly ends my list of tools.

So, as for a table saw, I know I dont need anything too crazy, everything on craigslist is over priced and looking at the pictures, they all look like crap, so I figure new might be my answer. So, I did some quick looking and a 10" job site saw seems to be the way to go. The price is not crazy and the options are pretty good.

The Dewalt job site saw seems to be on sale and as long as I can get my CC gift cards in time, seems like a solid option.

http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stor...%20Saw%20DW745

from there, however, I dont know where I can go. $400 would be my ceiling as again, I am not using this everyday to make money. It will mostly rest and do nothing, but at least I will be able to say I have one.

I know some talk about Porter Cable tools, but they are mixed reviews often.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_89913-46069-...uantity_sold|1

And skill just looks cheap, so I think I will stay away.

How is Ryobi?
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

I know Rigid seems to get solid reviews, but at the same time, the price jumps to a bit more than I really want to spend.

There are obviously lots of options and with that comes lots of opinion, but since I am a table saw novice, I thought to throw out the topic to the community to see what sort of feedback i can get.

And please, dont go posting about a $600 Bosch saw as I know I wont be getting one.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 12-30-2010, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I guess I will throw in another, how is delta in this price range for portable table saws?
post #3 of 35 Old 12-30-2010, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Smaks, I bought the Ryobi you have linked and have been quite happy with it. Affordable, very easy to set up/take down, has anti-kickback pawls and riving knife. Downsides are just as noted in the reviews:
1) Dust bag is worthless. I just connect my shop vac.
2) No miter slot to right of blade so you must use the sliding miter on the left.

Neither of those has been very problematic for me.

Edit: I like the build of the Dewalt but the fact that it was more $ and you need something to sit it on kept me looking at the "self contained portable" ones. Ridgid appeared nice as well but not an extra $200 nice. I also compared the Porter Cable to the Ryobi and felt the Ryobi had better features and reviews.
post #4 of 35 Old 12-30-2010, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
That Ryobi in the link looks like the one I have. I've had it for a couple of years now it's done everything I've asked it to during my build.

I was the same way....not looking for the greatest thing out there, just something to get me through the build. And it folds up nice when I need the floor space. So far, I'm plenty happy with it.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #5 of 35 Old 12-30-2010, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have had a contractor table saw from Makita for almost 30 years. Works great. I am not a fan of DeWalt. I've had two of their cordless drills wear out, while my old cordless Makitas are still going. I bought 2 cordless 18V Makitas last year. Best I've ever used. I like Milwaukee for corded drills.

I also had a DeWalt miter saw and gave it away. Bought a Makita and it is so clearly better it's silly.

I have a Makita circular saw, also for nearly 30 years. I love it. I've used a DeWalt circular saw, and I can't say I had any problems with it.

Back in the day I used to sell all of these products and was selling tools when DeWalt was launced as a brand. They were a marketing company in my opinion. Huge budget for trade shows and magazine ads. They did the marketing right, but it seemed the quality was secondary. Milwaukee always had better drills. Makita had better battery technology, etc. But DeWalt was in front with NASCAR, etc. They had coolers, and boom boxes and they were quickly seen on jobsites everywhere.

I'm not saying they're junk, as contractors would not re-purchase if it was. Personally I don't think DeWalt has the top slot in any particular tool category (saw, table saw, corded or cordless drills, etc).

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #6 of 35 Old 12-30-2010, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 123
The $250-$300 contractor saws will do everything you need. For the type of use you plan, just about any will suffice.

I started with a Craftsman 10" contractors saw form a fella on craigs list for $60. First thing I did was buy a $40 combo blade, that is the most important part of the saw be it new or old, what they come with new is not the best so buy a good combo blad! I built a lot of projects and then upgraded to an Older Cast Iron Craftsman 10" belt drive from another person on Craigs list for $50. Then resold the aluminum contractors saw for $60 (free use for a year) with an old blade in it.
Takes time and timing to get a good stuff on craig's list and you can NOT be afraid to make VERY low offers with crags list.. just because it is posted $200 don't mean they wont take $60!

Good luck with whatever you get and be CAREFUL!
post #7 of 35 Old 12-30-2010, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I second the Craigslist idea. I picked up a 10" about 2 weeks ago. A guy had it listed for $200 with 6 various new blades. I shot him a quick email saying if it does it for $80 I'd be there by 8am the next day to pick it up. Low and behold he said no problem. The blades are actually worth more than that, and it's a powerful little thing.
post #8 of 35 Old 12-30-2010, 10:54 AM

I gotta agree with Ted White, the Makita combo set I bought is incredible. I had the ability to test almost every impact drill on the market....and when I say test I mean 30 days. I bought the makita set if that tells you anything.

I bought a rigid table saw (job site) a couple of years ago and I love it. I just bought their granite top one last Christmas...so I have both of the their table saws. You won't be disappointed at all. I'm not sure if spending the extra money is really worth it if it's gonna be a twice a year tool. My buddy is a full time contractor and his wife bought him a complete Ryobi tool set...drill, circular saw...ect... and a table saw. We all laughed at him and he went through the usually picking that comes with using Ryobi tools when you do contracting for a living. Well, he actually started using the tools as a joke and let me say this....he's still using them. As far as the bang for the buck, you really can't beat Ryobi. JMO
post #9 of 35 Old 12-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

I've been looking for a table saw too for the last couple months. The Porter Cable you linked is at the top of my list. It has a larger rip capacity than the Dewalt, and from looking at it in the store just seems to be built better for less money.
Sometimes deals pop up on Craigslist, but in my experience they are few and far between. I got a 2 year old Dewalt miter saw for $150 with a $80 finishing blade, which saved me $200+ off buying new. Other than that I'm amazed at the number of craigslist morons that think they can sell some rusted up piece of crap thats been sitting in their shed for the last 20 years for the price of a new saw.
post #10 of 35 Old 12-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Have a Craftsman that has served well.

Bad is worthless, use a shopvac.

Like the Rigid stuff buy you are paying alot for the name.

Don't knwo where you are but CL has lots of them around here. Search Wood worrking or wood shop.
post #11 of 35 Old 12-30-2010, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Don't give up on CL or eBay. I found a Grizzly contractor saw listed on CL for $425. I got it for $375. It's a great saw except for dust collection.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #12 of 35 Old 12-30-2010, 02:19 PM

I've had the DeWalt 744 for over 8 years now and it has been great. Someday I will upgrade to a cabinet saw but until then I am happy with the DeWalt. I see some people have had problems with DeWalt but most of my power tools are DeWalt and have not had any problems with them. Good luck.
post #13 of 35 Old 12-30-2010, 04:05 PM

How about a $400 Bosch table saw?

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-4100-10-...3749851&sr=8-2

No fancy stand, but you always make one. I have the 4000 version (it's a few years old) and have no complaints.
post #14 of 35 Old 12-30-2010, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
What do you want a the table saw for? if its for ripping long, thin stock then you do need one.....

....but if you intend on cutting sheets with it you've not got the right tool - get yourself a Makita guide saw (like the festool ones but heaps cheaper). These are very safe, accurate and dont take up any floor space

Table saws for the untrained are dangerous (unless you get a Sawstop...), particularly if handling large stock or sheet goods

Just my 2 cents

Edit: the other thing I didn't mention was that these smaller portable saws have a different type of motor in them (I wont bore you with details).....but gawd are they loud - some are like a bad angle grinder x 10, our dogs will handle an angle grinder, we've had people next door with one of these saws and it drives the dogs nuts......trivial if you just want to cut 3 bits of wood, but if you're spending a whole day using one I think its important....even with ear protection on

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #15 of 35 Old 12-30-2010, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think you guys are right. I am gonna look the craigslist route. Just no sense buying one new for my use. Only issue with CL is just as listed, it is amazing what people will ask for for junk. Heck, theres lots of guys asking new prices and one I have seen that is over the new price. it will take time, but it seems the best route. I did low ball one guy already.

It is funny, when I have sold stuff, people offer crazy prices and dont care, so why should I. If they want rid of it, they will take my money.
post #16 of 35 Old 03-14-2012, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
How about this saw?

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/10-Cast-...w/EN/index.htm

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #17 of 35 Old 03-14-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I replaced my table saw with a DeWalt Tracksaw. Far easier to use and much safer.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/tracksaw/products/index.html
post #18 of 35 Old 03-14-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

I replaced my table saw with a DeWalt Tracksaw. Far easier to use and much safer.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/tracksaw/products/index.html

How the heck would you use that to rip 2x6x8 into 3/4 wide strips? I get it for sheet work, but you gota have a table saw, it is like saying I traded in my hammer for a screw gun.. one does not replace the other for all things..
post #19 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

How about this saw?

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/10-Cast-...w/EN/index.htm

If you're buying a new saw, I think this is the best bang-for-your-buck. You could use this saw for a long time and a lot of quality work without needing to upgrade.

Maker of the finest saw dust since 1980, give or take

MY Custom AV Cabinet with DIY Pull-Out and Rotate Rack
post #20 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

How the heck would you use that to rip 2x6x8 into 3/4 wide strips? I get it for sheet work, but you gota have a table saw, it is like saying I traded in my hammer for a screw gun.. one does not replace the other for all things..

I have both a table saw and a track saw. The track saw is nice to have, but if I could only have one it would be the table saw, without question.

post #21 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 10:09 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Just ripped some one inch furring this morning for the Ohio project. Spend the extra money for the Rigid on its own stand. the handle doubles as a support on the left, the right extends also. Then order a roller outfield stand from Harbor Freight.
post #22 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Big,

I know you use a job-site saw when you're on the road. What do you use when you're in your workshop?

post #23 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
ive been eyeing this one, which i believe is the same as the Ridgid.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...4&blockType=G4
post #24 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 04:49 PM

I've been doing interior trim for over 20 yrs and have used most saws on the market. The rigid 10" is by far the best table saw I have ever owned.
post #25 of 35 Old 03-15-2012, 08:37 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightp View Post

Big,

I know you use a job-site saw when you're on the road. What do you use when you're in your workshop?

When I was building my theater I burned out a 20 year old table and I went out and bought a craftsman with a cast iron table to finish the project. I Will have to wait until I get home to tell you the model.

The thing I like about Craftsman power tools is the availability of parts for repairs.
post #26 of 35 Old 03-16-2012, 04:49 AM

Obviously this thread is very old, but for those interested, Popular Mechanics recently did a comparison of a whole bunch of table saws:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...osch-4100dg-09
post #27 of 35 Old 03-16-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Now if only Festool would make a table saw....

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #28 of 35 Old 03-16-2012, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Perhaps not where speed is an issue at a worksite.

If that's for furring strips, I'd just use 3/4" thick sheet goods and not deal with warpage. Or flip the 2x6" and make two passes. Or whip up a guide for the tracking and use the circular saw with the tracking.

My 12" DeWalt and the 7 1/4" Ryobi portable have been sold, and I am not missing them at all. I didn't buy the Track Saw expecting to displace these tools but it didn't take much use of the Track Saw to start to see that I could easily live without them.
post #29 of 35 Old 03-16-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 View Post

I second the Craigslist idea. I picked up a 10" about 2 weeks ago. A guy had it listed for $200 with 6 various new blades. I shot him a quick email saying if it does it for $80 I'd be there by 8am the next day to pick it up. Low and behold he said no problem. The blades are actually worth more than that, and it's a powerful little thing.

Ha-ha.

This is the problem with selling on CL too. I have posted my Bosch saw for sale a couple times and only get low ball offers. I could use the garage space, but I am not giving it away. . . .
post #30 of 35 Old 03-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

When I was building my theater I burned out a 20 year old table and I went out and bought a craftsman with a cast iron table to finish the project. I Will have to wait until I get home to tell you the model.

The thing I like about Craftsman power tools is the availability of parts for repairs.

Thanks, Big. I think it's interesting -- and important -- that you use a stationary saw when you're in your own workshop, even though you also own a job-site saw.

For those of you thinking about buying a table saw, by all means buy a portable saw if you need to lug it from job site to job site. Some portable saws are pretty good. If you will only use your saw in your garage (or basement), a stationary contractor's saw is a much better tool.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction