Acoustic Panel Fabrics from Jo-Ann ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-16-2011, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 63
i am looking for something affordable. building 12 2'x4' panels.

reading through the many threads here, there are burlap, muslin, speaker cloth, something call jet-set.

i am looking at Jo-Ann because it's local, and there's a 50% off coupon in the paper every week.

so what fabric is everyone getting from Jo-Ann for acoustic panels? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-16-2011, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1266565

My First DIY Screen 120" Laminate Screen

Ongoing Build Thread Madras Talkies
post #3 of 10 Old 01-16-2011, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks, that's where i learned of the "jet set". but it looks like no one else used it except the OP.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-18-2011, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My entire theater fabric is from JO-Anns. Used a heavy velvet material around screen, Deep red velour on side walls frames covering my recycled blue jean material from Lowes & a very thin black material for the recessed speaker grill which sounds like your jet set material. I made cretain it passed the breath test & also held it up to the light & was able to see very easily thru it. When set on the white counter, it remained black which was all I needed. I think that any cloth that passes this test will work just fine. Also remember that one of the THX settings on receivers is to roll off a little of the high end due to the conditions of a large commercial theater, namely the speakers behind screens & cloth, and the natural tendency of a large space to absorb some of the high frequency sound. In your smaller space, there are many other concerns high on the food chain such as speaker placement & proper speaker level adjuctsment.

PS: Many new receivers also come with a mic to help adjust for tone in a room, so my advice is to find something you like & go full steam ahead.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

I remember seeing a post in BIG's thread about something called Micro Velvet that he got from Hancock Fabrics to frame out his new screen. I went to Jo-Ann's to try and find something similar (no Hancock Fabrics around my area), and they have a type called Black Premier Velvet that is the exact same material (the stuff from Jo-Ann's has the same Micro Velvet label down the edge). It's a bit pricier than some of the other stuff, but with a 50% off coupon becomes much more palatable. I bought a bunch of it on sale with the 50% off that I plan to use around my screen. Haven't actually used it yet, and I'd never put it in front of any speakers, but I think it'll work just fine for acoustic panels, and looks great.

Only issue I can see with making 2x4 panels is the material is only 44" wide, so there would definitely be some wasted material.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-18-2011, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks much for the responses guys....keep 'em coming!
post #7 of 10 Old 01-18-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I checked out Joanne's yesterday - saw the jet set and some other options, but it doesn't seem they carry anything fire retardant - I asked, they said they used to have like one fabric in three colors, but not anymore - but they do sell the spray-on stuff. I'll just mail order something that I know for sure is fire retardant.

Now I'm debating whether FR (treated, but requires re-application after a year or so?) is good enough, or if what I really need is IFR (permanent). I never remember to change air filters, water filters, so I doubt I'd be FR for long.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-18-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

I checked out Joanne's yesterday - saw the jet set and some other options, but it doesn't seem they carry anything fire retardant - I asked, they said they used to have like one fabric in three colors, but not anymore

I had the same experience a couple weeks ago at 2 separate JoAnn's. I even took a sample of the Dazian Celtic black to give them an idea what I was looking for. After being directed to 3 different clerks in 3 different ares of the store, from knits to home decor, I was told that the FR property used to be available, but they no longer carry it in the type of fabric I sought. Looking at JoAnn's fabric prices, I found that the Dazian prices, like for Janus, Celtic were in many cases cheaper than most of the fabric that looked usable from Joann's.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-21-2011, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaguyinGA View Post

I had the same experience a couple weeks ago at 2 separate JoAnn's. I even took a sample of the Dazian Celtic black to give them an idea what I was looking for. After being directed to 3 different clerks in 3 different ares of the store, from knits to home decor, I was told that the FR property used to be available, but they no longer carry it in the type of fabric I sought. Looking at JoAnn's fabric prices, I found that the Dazian prices, like for Janus, Celtic were in many cases cheaper than most of the fabric that looked usable from Joann's.

really, even with a 50% discount?
post #10 of 10 Old 01-23-2011, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

when ahead and purchase 12 yards of the "Jet Set" stuff from JoAnn. $30 shipped.

looked at the Dazian and GOM stuff, both too expensive for my budget.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page