The Monkey_Man Home Theater Build - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 75 Old 05-27-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Glad you were able to get the results you were looking for. I know how frustrating it can be trying to get things just the way you want them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 05-28-2013, 12:30 PM

Liked: 21
I am also glad that you are able to move on!

My roller marks for the most parts will be covered by my ceiling acoustical panels.......

Now that the HT has been functional for 2 weeks, I am not as upset with the ceiling as I was 2 weeks ago.

Best decisions ever was to paint that screen wall flat black with the Rosco Off Broadway Black. There appears to be nothing on that wall except for the projected image............

Good Luck!
post #63 of 75 Old 07-14-2013, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Time to update this thread. Things have been moving along slowly, but moving.

Here is a shot of the stage skinned with two layers of 3/4" OSB with a layer of roofing felt in the middle. Sorry about the mess, I struggle with cleaning as I build.

Here I started to build my columns. Mine are primarily decorative. My surround speakers will be mounted on the outside of the column like a traditional big box theater. The main reason I did this was my back row will be 5 seats across I didn't have the room to make the columns any deeper than 4.5" to mount my surrounds inside them, way to big. I made my columns out of 3/4" MDF Some with mitered edges and some without. Here is the process I used to finish:

1. Sand down to 220 with orbital sander until the edges of MDF are very smooth.
2. Skimmed with 1 or 2 coats of MH Ready Patch to fill in the joints then sanded to 220 each time.
3. Rounded corners, taking off sharp edge of corner, with 220 sanding sponge
4. Primed all surfaces of the MDF with Zinsser BIN Primer
5. Sanded primer smooth with 220 sanding sponge

In the pic below the column on the right is mitered and the column on the isn't. The non-mitered columns were a lot more difficult to finish since the edge of the MDF was rough. This was the way Cinemar did his columns. The reason I did this was that my track saw was kinda hard to do 45 degree angles on such a long cut and the cuts weren't coming out perfect.

Here I painted the can light bezels flat black. I used a rattle can high temp black used for grills. This paint comes out dark grey and not very black. Since the cans are halogen I didn't want to used low temp paint. In other threads I read that some people have used low temp paint without issue.

Below are some shots of my wall cleats. I started with building a frame then I just used used spare 2x10s and 2x12's I had left over.

I filled the columns with insulation, because that's what we do, empty space, fill with insulation wink.gif

Column installed with crown molding.

In total, I have 7 columns. I'll get some better shots as I get closer to the end so you can see the layout.

At this point I changed gears and worked on the LED lighting tray. I installed vertical 3/4" plywood to the lighting channel to attach trim and then the crown molding. Biggest mistake of this build was that I mounted the HVAC reg on the ceiling and not in the soffit. In beginning I didn't think I was going to do a lighting tray. Looks bad with the LED light on, all well... moving on...

This pic illustrates the way I did my LED channel to hide the wires and power packs.

I copied Cinemar's lighting channel trim arrangement.

I couldn't help but to mount the LEDS before the crown.

Darn registers...

Here is a shot of the first piece of the 5.25" crown molding, I likey!!!

Next I need to mount the crown molding to the rest of the columns. Then it's on to the custom wainscoting and all the trim that involves.
post #64 of 75 Old 07-14-2013, 07:59 AM

Liked: 17
Looking great! Quick question: I'm about to prime all my mdf with zinnser. Did you paint outside the room or in? I need to paint in the room and I'm wonderering about ventilation with that primer.
post #65 of 75 Old 07-14-2013, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I did paint outside. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be as far as smell. The Zin also dries super fast. However, I'm not sure how bad it will be in an enclosed space. I painted in my garage with the door open. I also had the paint store add 2 oz's of black to the Zin. I think I will try it in the basement without too much concern.
post #66 of 75 Old 10-14-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Time for an update. Little 360 of the room.

Time to start the wainscoting...

Some BIN

Magnetic gang locator

Time to install the bull nose

Time to brush on the BJ Aura eggshell on the wainscoting and trim. This paint is awesome. I added BM extender to increase open time and to level brush strokes. The pics below are just the first coat!

First coat came out great, with a little effort it could be done with one coat of the BM Aura. The pics above show the paint wet. Mario recommended eggshell to make the trim pop. On my setup the speakers are exposed on the columns. I'm using 4 Klipsch RS-52II for the surrounds http://www.klipsch.com/rs-52-ii-surround-speaker/details. The trim height on the columns reflect clearance for the speakers. Now if the darn door would come in I could finish the trim. There was an epic amount of caulking, I caulked every piece of the trim. Way over kill.
post #67 of 75 Old 10-14-2013, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 201
post #68 of 75 Old 03-08-2014, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update time!

I ended up ditching the purple paint (sorry wifey) and went with a red BM Aura. Much better pop with the black trim. I cannot say enough for this paint. just awsome to roll

Painted the screen wall with Rasco Black scene paint. Off broadway I think.

Seats arrived!!! That was an ordeal, can't wait to install them. 8 seats total.

Arrival of the 1st of 2 UXL-18's!!!! What a beast!!!! http://www.istonline.ca/mach5_uxl_18.html

iNuke 6000DSP to push the UXL's. This amp has tons of power for the price. Also has a great built in DSP

1 of 2 Marty subs http://www.avsforum.com/t/1489541/large-ported-dayton-ho18s/0_20#post_23711347

All clamps on deck!!! Triple layer baffle.

I'll have better pics soon, the wife just picked up a DSRL Canon

I need help with carpet selection. Give suggestions PLEASE smile.gif
post #69 of 75 Old 03-22-2014, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Flush bit to trim any panels not lined up perfectly. 3/8" round over on the ports, 1/2" round over on the edge, 1/8" round over on the bottom edge, 45 degree bit on the top edge

Hung first of 4 surround speakers. Klipsch RS-52II

john171 likes this.
post #70 of 75 Old 03-22-2014, 10:00 PM

Liked: 19
eek.gif

I'm a bit slow on the uptake but this looks stunning.
post #71 of 75 Old 03-23-2014, 05:57 AM

Liked: 12
The choice to go with red walls looks very nice, smart choice, hopefully your WAF has not suffered too much. Overall you are creating a wonderful HT!
Though I have to say, your use of so much trim/molding would drive me crazy, the cutting and fitting, not the finished look, that is such amazing detail!
What are the plans for your first movie night?
post #72 of 75 Old 03-23-2014, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john171 View Post

The choice to go with red walls looks very nice, smart choice, hopefully your WAF has not suffered too much. Overall you are creating a wonderful HT!
Though I have to say, your use of so much trim/molding would drive me crazy, the cutting and fitting, not the finished look, that is such amazing detail!
What are the plans for your first movie night?
Thanks! I'm happy with the red over the purple by a long shot. Wife wishes the red was a bit toned down. I reminded her the lights are on full power, but once I get the Grafik eye installed, the lights will dimmed most of the time when on, which will tone the red down. I will have a few days and nights of calibration but the first movie day/night event is going to be a Star Wars marathon party with a group of friends (Star Wars geeks). Haha the trim... Was outrage amounts of work cutting and precision. I have so much detail on the back wall I was telling the wife I'm kind of sad the back row is going to hide all the work. For space reason I didn't go with an AT wall so all the speakers and subs are going to be exposed (refrigerator size subs). I knew the exposed speakers were going to be ugly so I tried to spruce up the rest of the room to make up for that. I guess my motto was function over form, but then I decided to put more form in the room wink.gif
post #73 of 75 Old 03-23-2014, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I see that the Cinemar HT was a big influence. And it looks fantastic. I will be using your HT for future reference also.
post #74 of 75 Old 03-23-2014, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5nz View Post

I see that the Cinemar HT was a big influence.

You know it! Mario is the man. Let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to assist.
post #75 of 75 Old 03-23-2014, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Considering Mario's Home Theater won

Electronic House 2013 Gold Award Winner
Best Home Theater $25,000 - $75,000

You can' really go wrong copying anything he did.

I'm not gonna be building my HT for some time, but I've started my plans, which continue to evolve. But I will try to replicate as much of yours and Mario's as possible. They just look so good.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page