The "Illumination Theatre" Build / As of January 2013 NOW BEGINNING VERSION 2.0 Please come on in! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 120 Old 01-22-2013, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17

Question number one is a general electrical code question!

(I know these are specific to state but does it sound ok or more of a no way!)

I would like to put some outlets in the second row bar. The bar is going to be free standing as I want the ability to re position it as necessary so I will not be able to run permanent romex from the existing circuit to the bar. Can i wire up the outlets in the bar to a three pronged cord (ie. computer power cord) and then plug that cord into an existing outlet in the room so kind of creating my own power strip?

Edit: Checked with electrician and this is ok

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 120 Old 01-22-2013, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit73 View Post

PHASE ONE

SECOND ROW BAR

Started 01-22-13: Picked up all the lumber from Lowes, construction begins tomorrow!

We get a lot of use from our second row bar. I'm sure you will love it when it's done.

post #93 of 120 Old 01-23-2013, 12:48 AM

Liked: 19
How are you finding 120" from that distance ? I'm going to be 9ft from mine and I'm tossing up 100" vs 120".. while I want as big as I can I don't want to be doing too much eye work from side to side..

post #94 of 120 Old 01-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
hey cheezit - just went through your thread from the start. great looking space...you've done a really nice transformation to the room. version 2; just can't leave well enough alone, huh? wink.gif. i totally understand. i'm always looking for ways to improve my theatre. reading this forum can be very inspiring. where i work our motto/mission statement is "total customer satisfaction through continuous improvement". just substitute theatre for customer and there you go. keep up the good work. i'll be watching your room's development. very interested to see what you come up with for the spoonflower panels.
post #95 of 120 Old 01-23-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 View Post

How are you finding 120" from that distance ? I'm going to be 9ft from mine and I'm tossing up 100" vs 120".. while I want as big as I can I don't want to be doing too much eye work from side to side..

My front row eyes are 9ft from a 136" Carada Scope screen. It isn't a problem for me. Nor has it been a problem for anyone that's ever been in my HT. Without fail, everyone fights for the front row. That's my experience, anyway.

post #96 of 120 Old 01-23-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittletank View Post

We get a lot of use from our second row bar. I'm sure you will love it when it's done.

Thats great! I am really looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 View Post

It's good I like it, I love 120" and if you sit closer I still wouldn't go smaller than 110." I have had the seating between 9-12' to test and for me nine was too close for anything but bluray and 10-11 seems perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Looks like you have done your homework for version 2. Some significant improvements in both room function and peformance. I think you will find the proper placement of your center channel behind an AT screen is the most noticable upgrade. I imagine you plan on building the false wall about two feet out from the front of the room. You might want to try pulling your sofa back half that distance. Sitting 10 feet from a 105" wide screen gives a 1.14 viewing ratio which isn't too crazy at all.
Good luck with the upgrade. Will be following along to see if that trim moulding actually makes it up. smile.gif

Yes looking forward to having the sound come from the screen! I am going be a little tight with 18" to work with for the false wall but everything should fit! And yes I am moving the seating back about 8" which is far as i can go without the side speakers becoming past 90 degrees. That should put eyeballs to screen in our comfortable range, luckily we like up close! I will get the trim done I promise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

hey cheezit - just went through your thread from the start. great looking space...you've done a really nice transformation to the room. version 2; just can't leave well enough alone, huh? wink.gif. i totally understand. i'm always looking for ways to improve my theatre. reading this forum can be very inspiring. where i work our motto/mission statement is "total customer satisfaction through continuous improvement". just substitute theatre for customer and there you go. keep up the good work. i'll be watching your room's development. very interested to see what you come up with for the spoonflower panels.

Thanks, yep gotta be improving cant help it! We already have some ideas for what movie posters we are going for on the panels. Will post them when I get to that phase!

And just so you all know i am serious here is the start of the bar!:

post #97 of 120 Old 01-28-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Making progress on the bar!

Pics in the phase one post 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1309592/the-illumination-theatre-build-as-of-january-2013-now-beginning-version-2-0-please-come-on-in/60_60#post_22866333

post #98 of 120 Old 01-29-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Making progress hope to finish the bar tomorrow. I need to finish sanding and then paint and install trim work.

Here is the current state and also a quick mock up of the color scheme.

Created with GIMP

post #99 of 120 Old 02-04-2013, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am happy to report that Phase One was completed in time for the Superbowl and was a huge hit with the family, The difference in the feel of the room is amazing and much more of a dedicated space with the computer desk gone. Overall I am very satisfied with the outcome!

Please excuse the mess in the book case in the pictures, that will be going away with the start of PHASE TWO!

post #100 of 120 Old 02-06-2013, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Question for all of you. Should I change my format for documenting Version 2 or maybe just start a whole new thread instead of trying to put it all in here like I am? I didn't receive any comments on my bar completion so I am thinking I did a really crappy job (J/K lol) or my thread is just not easy to follow. I am definitely going to have questions for the next phases and I want to ensure that I am making it easy and interesting for all of you to help me and follow along!

Any feedback is appreciated!

post #101 of 120 Old 02-06-2013, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I love the bar! Very similar to something I am looking to do with mine.
How heavy is it? I am considering making my bar in about 2 lengths of 5'-0 that fit together for a long 10'-0 bar but then would be able to be moved around the room for different scenarios within the room

My Home Theater and Game Room Build -- IN PROGRESS

post #102 of 120 Old 02-06-2013, 01:40 PM

Liked: 14

Your bar is awesome!  I was actually just looking over your pictures because I like the style and wanted to see how you built it for my theater.  I'd like to thank you for asking your electrician about that cord coming out of the bar.  I was wondering the same thing!

On my thread, I get comments sometimes, sometimes no; just focus on the view counts.  ...focus on the view counts.......focus......view counts........

Hey, where'd you get your couch and how much was it?  I love it.

My home theater build thread

post #103 of 120 Old 02-06-2013, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post

I love the bar! Very similar to something I am looking to do with mine.
How heavy is it? I am considering making my bar in about 2 lengths of 5'-0 that fit together for a long 10'-0 bar but then would be able to be moved around the room for different scenarios within the room

Thanks! It is pretty heavy especially since I put two fire bricks inside each of ends towards the back for stability! If I had to guess I would say its somewhere around 200-250 pounds? It was very easy to move with three people and two furniture Dolly's. I think the split bar is not a bad idea and might be easier to build, getting the extra two feet to line up right with the first eight was a bit tuff and I didn't get it perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegravley View Post

Your bar is awesome!  I was actually just looking over your pictures because I like the style and wanted to see how you built it for my theater.  I'd like to thank you for asking your electrician about that cord coming out of the bar.  I was wondering the same thing!

On my thread, I get comments sometimes, sometimes no; just focus on the view counts.  ...focus on the view counts.......focus......view counts........

Hey, where'd you get your couch and how much was it?  I love it.

Thanks for the compliments! Yeah luckily my father in law is an electrician so I can always get free advice and checks on my electrical work. He said that the fire Marshall doesn't care for extension cords but that it is acceptable for the application as its a standalone unit like a portable display case. Also I don't plan on plugging any high draw devices into it either. Since you are looking at building one I will provide a little more detail about the build within the next day to include what I would have done differently.

I got the couch from a local furniture store, been very happy with it especially for the price $650.00

post #104 of 120 Old 02-08-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok I need to get moving on PHASE TWO and need some design ideas please!

So I know that I am going to be removing the Ikea bookcase and building some kind of shelf mount for the 5010. I am kicking around two ideas right now.

The first is to pretty much build something very similar to what Shawnwalters used in "Best Room In The House"

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1103417/best-room-in-the-house/120_60#post_15799561

The other thought is to build a shelf that is tucked up closer to the soffit that is just tall enough inside to accommodate the 5010 with a little breathing room and then since the intake and exhaust ports in the 5010 face the front maybe make a front cover for the box out of GOM with a hole for the lens? So basically not a HUSH box per say but still hide the projector except for the lens? Would the GOM breathe enough to not restrict the airflow?

I would appreciate any design input from all of you, I feel like I have some good ideas and then I see what some of you (Big etc..) come up with and it puts mine to shame!

I want to hopefully finalize the design over the weekend and start building on next Tuesday

post #105 of 120 Old 02-08-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just placed my order on diysoundgroup for PHASE THREE, 3 SEOS Fusion 12 Tempests!!! I placed the order now so that the parts will arrive by the time I finish PHASE TWO!

post #106 of 120 Old 02-18-2013, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey guys I am working on my PHASE TWO projector shelf design and need some input. Mostly I want to know if you all think I should just have the projector sitting on a shelf platform or make a low profile enclosure around it? I didn't get any response on my previous post about it. I am thinking I could build a box around it with an open front that is then covered with GOM/speaker cloth except for a hole for the lens. It seems like I could get away with this with the 5010 since the intake and exhaust are on the front but my two concerns are is the GOM un-restrictive enough for the airflow and even though the front would be open would 2 inches of clearance be enough around the rest of the exterior of the projector?

Here are some sketches of my idea's, the first picture is looking straight at the back wall and shows the addition of a wider third column to support the projector shelf in the middle of the existing two back wall columns.  The second is a side profile view of several different ideas. I have decided to go with the second from the left as I liked it better than the angled ones. The third and fourth give an idea of what the shelf would look like with the full enclosure. I have also included a picture of the back wall as a reference. Please let me know what you guys think!

post #107 of 120 Old 02-18-2013, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

I like the shelf ontop of the column idea. Even though the intake and outlet are on the front why don't you play it safe and leave most of the top open. Looks like the shelf is high enough that you won't be able to see in the top but if not you could use your GOM there. I wouldn't use fabric on the front of the enclosure for a few reasons.
1) How are you going to cut the lens hole without making a mess?
2) There WILL be air restriction. Windows without bug screens pass alot more air than those with the screen in place and the GOM is much less open.
3) The GOM will act like an air filter and quickly collect dust on the inlet side.

Thanks for the response David! 

I had not even thought about the dust on the intake side! That alone is reason enough to leave the front open!

So now i am thinking I will expand on your idea and just build a removable box frame that will go over the projector and wrap it with GOM leaving the front open and uncovered. That way the sides and top will still allow some passive air circulation while looking like a solid box around the projector!

Thanks again!

post #108 of 120 Old 02-22-2013, 11:45 PM

Liked: 10
Maybe I missed it but are you using gold for your trim or black like the walls? Also paint, did you end up using all Mickey Mouse black? I read you used Mouse black for screen and ceiling and another dark brown for the walls but it all looks black.
post #109 of 120 Old 02-23-2013, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelranger View Post

Maybe I missed it but are you using gold for your trim or black like the walls? Also paint, did you end up using all Mickey Mouse black? I read you used Mouse black for screen and ceiling and another dark brown for the walls but it all looks black.

rebel,

I am using Gold for all the main trim and soon the Crown molding. The gold I am using is a Spray paint and I like it a lot. I will be adding some other smaller trim in areas like between the bottom of the light tray and the walls that will be more of a semi gloss black. I did go all Mouse black, If you look at the pictures on the first page I did start out black in the front and brown in the back but I did not like the way it looked so I painted over the brown with black as well.

post #110 of 120 Old 02-23-2013, 12:52 PM

Liked: 10
Thank you I thought you ended up all Mouse black. Any way you can post what the gold crown molding trim looks like against the black? How about your base trim, are you leaving it as is? I'm considering going all black but my seating is a microfiber beige so I'm worried about trim colors.
post #111 of 120 Old 03-07-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Since we're SEOS brothers, thought I would checkout the illumination....... biggrin.gif

On the projector box, if I were to enclose around it and expect any airflow, I would stay away from fabric all together. Acoustically transparent does not translate to airflow.

Have you considered something like this?
post #112 of 120 Old 03-07-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the advice and checking my thread out Nick.

I have kind of gone out of order on my Phases since I couldn't wait to start work on my SEOS's! 

The more I thought about it I decided I will just build the new projector column/shelf and keep the projector exposed.  I was not worried about noise as much as just making it look clean.  I don't want to get into having to worry about exhausting/cooling and I don't want to cause any overheating problems either, so exposed it is!

post #113 of 120 Old 03-30-2013, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well I have been slow to update, I skipped Phase Two for now and finished Phase Three, completion of my SEOS speakers!

Here is a picture of them in a temporary setup until I finish Phase Two and Four (Projector shelf and false wall.)

These things sound absolutely amazing, the improvement over my Energy C-series speakers is just crazy! They are so clean and I hear amazing detail in things that I never heard before. I can't wait to get them properly positioned behind an AT screen!

For more details and construction pics take a look at my signature link to my build thread in the DIY speakers section.

post #114 of 120 Old 03-30-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Stop teasin us current builders!

Your theater looks amazing wish i was close enough to see it in person!
post #115 of 120 Old 04-03-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Stop teasin us current builders!

Your theater looks amazing wish i was close enough to see it in person!

Just trying to motivate! Thanks for the compliments Nick. I cant wait to get the AT screen up and see how it sounds with the speakers in their optimum position.

post #116 of 120 Old 04-28-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Cheez. i love how this turned out. dark walls and ceiling to get the lighting you want for watching movies, but the trim and design makes it still casual. very nice job!

i see your wanting to do a false wall. im working on that as well and have the same issue you do. seating distance is getting close for the AT screen. ill actually end up 9' back. Seymour sent me a sample and i tried to see the weave from that distance. i could not, but that was just a small piece. they said their minimum advised seating distance is 8'. My Jamestown screen should be here in a week or so and i guess ill know then for sure. i am also doing an inwall seos speaker that will stick out only 4" from the wall just to keep the screen back as far as possible. mtg90 is doing the cross over for it.

here is what Seymour said about seating distance:

Hi Brian -

The minimum seating distance we recommend is 8 feet. At about 11' the weave texture totally disappears. We do have customers that have the XD mounted 8' from their location and they have no problems. It ultimately comes down to personal preference.

What I would like to do is send you a sample of the XD so you can evaluate it for yourself with your own eyes. We send out free 8.5'' x 11'' samples of the XD to customers all the time. What address would you like your free sample shipped to?

Regards,
Jon

there were a couple times i thought i saw some weave on the sample from 9' in bright scenes, but im not really sure. and thats really trying to find it. i doubt its noticeable during regular use. i will be sure to post my findings. not sure how far along you are.

great job!!!!!

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #117 of 120 Old 05-08-2013, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just realized that I never updated my Phase 3 post for completion of my SEOS speakers which are absolutely amazing! Check out my signature for my build thread in the DIY section.

Picture with temporary setup until I finish the false wall and a comparison next to my Energy C-300.

post #118 of 120 Old 05-08-2013, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

Cheez. i love how this turned out. dark walls and ceiling to get the lighting you want for watching movies, but the trim and design makes it still casual. very nice job!

i see your wanting to do a false wall. im working on that as well and have the same issue you do. seating distance is getting close for the AT screen. ill actually end up 9' back. Seymour sent me a sample and i tried to see the weave from that distance. i could not, but that was just a small piece. they said their minimum advised seating distance is 8'. My Jamestown screen should be here in a week or so and i guess ill know then for sure. i am also doing an inwall seos speaker that will stick out only 4" from the wall just to keep the screen back as far as possible. mtg90 is doing the cross over for it.

here is what Seymour said about seating distance:

Hi Brian -

The minimum seating distance we recommend is 8 feet. At about 11' the weave texture totally disappears. We do have customers that have the XD mounted 8' from their location and they have no problems. It ultimately comes down to personal preference.

What I would like to do is send you a sample of the XD so you can evaluate it for yourself with your own eyes. We send out free 8.5'' x 11'' samples of the XD to customers all the time. What address would you like your free sample shipped to?

Regards,
Jon

there were a couple times i thought i saw some weave on the sample from 9' in bright scenes, but im not really sure. and thats really trying to find it. i doubt its noticeable during regular use. i will be sure to post my findings. not sure how far along you are.

great job!!!!!

Brian, my apologies I just saw this post! Thanks for your interest in my build!

I am closer to figuring out my false wall now and have concluded that my seating will end up about 10-10.5 feet, a foot or so closer than I currently am. Now I just need to decide weather to just retrofit my Jamestown or go larger!

post #119 of 120 Old 11-18-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well it is with great sadness that like many before me I must announce that we will be selling our home and leaving our theatre room!

I will be leaving only the room behind and taking all of the equipment with me of course. I am bummed that I never took the time to completely finish it as all it needed was some crown moulding and to put the rope light up!

It will be a little while but a second theatre will definitely happening when we find our new home and you can bet it will be better than the first!!!!!

Thanks to everyone who contributed viewed or otherwise lurked my threads! 

post #120 of 120 Old 11-30-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

We'll amazingly the house sold and closed escrow in 11 days! I know there is a lot of debate and experiences on here so I thought I would share mine. The theatre room definitely was a big selling point on the house and I had cars running during the first open house. The buyer really liked it and was even concerned if it came with my second row bar that I built (I included it.) I was very careful to follow others advice and ensure that all my a/v equipment including projector was listed in the exclusions. I did however leave them the screen as I plan to go scope next time. I had debated returning the room to pre theatre and am glad I didn't as I believe it definitely helped sell the house and for one of the best prices of recent in the neighborhood.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page