Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 64 Old 06-03-2011, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

I assume those columns are made of mdf? If so how did he attach them to the wall?

They were attached with several 2x4's (braces) placed horizontally that equal the interior width of the column.

The braces were screwed thru the drywall and into a stud behind the drywall. The columns were fitted (snug) over the braces and screwed into the braces. There is a layer of caulk between the drywall and caulk. The interior of the columns is filled with insulation.

You can hide the screw holes with wood filling or cover the screw holes with the crown molding, baseboards and other decorative molding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 64 Old 07-06-2011, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Progress has been slow on my build...my advice, never try and build a theater while juggling a new baby. I started the process of building an AV rack as well as cable organization and some other tasks two months ago. Today, nada...no progress.

Much of the equipment hook-up was done on a temporary basis until I was certain everything was performing as expected. I lost track of how many hours we already spent watching movies. I broke the golden rule, never hang the projector until the room is finished.

So three weeks ago, I unhooked all the equipment....for two reasons. First, I wanted to see if anyone "missed" the theater...and they do, the family is starting to gather pitchforks and torches - hook up the theater, now!

Second, I needed to unhook the equipment to build the AV rack. I never had any time to work on the build but that is starting to change since everyone wants to get back into the theater. So my plan worked, my wife told me to get cracking this weekend. Perfect! :-)
post #63 of 64 Old 07-06-2011, 01:09 PM

Liked: 10
Any riser pix? Love the space!
post #64 of 64 Old 08-26-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

The last 10% of the detail or finishing work in my theater is taking 90% of the time. I struggled with these columns trying to hide the speakers. The corner trim was not part of the design but my builder used it to hide a seam in the columns which I hated. Ugh!!!! However, he did refund the cost of all the columns....so I have to live with it.

Every time (3 prior failed attempts) I tried to build something that blended into the corner molding and was functional it just didn't look right. Well, I decided to find specialty molding store to see what they had in stock because Lowes & HD just didn't have what I needed.

I came across some trim with a 3/4 channel for $0.50 a linear foot....and it did the trick or at least I think the columns finally turned out the way I wanted.

In the words of Stewart Gilligan "Stewie" Griffin, Victory is Mine!!!!

This shows the channel in the molding.....

Simple speaker grill....much easier to build with an pneumatic brad nailer by the way!

And finally, the finished product.....
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page