Bethesda Build - Page 10 - AVS Forum
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last
Dedicated Theater Design & Construction > Bethesda Build
TeamK's Avatar TeamK 10:06 AM 04-12-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesto View Post

Pretty sure you need an anamorphic lens - regardless - I think for now I might go with the Panasonic 4000, it seems like the best value and most likely to work well in the theater - also wont hurt too much if i decide to replace it down the line for something with 3D (if they ever come up with a real standard)

Thanks... and BTW JVC Pro RSAL2 lens $8,500.... NO THANKS!

jesto's Avatar jesto 12:03 AM 04-13-2011
luckily traffic wasn't too bad today on the way home so i had a chance to stop by at home depot before making it home - net result - more sand

6 more bags, 360 more lbs to lug down to the basement

over 1/2 way there

How's that for a sandbox?????

Also had a chance to lug down some insulation

and that was the tough stuff (at least the physical stuff - more on my mental challenges of the evening soon)

oh - also cleaned up a little (no pics b/c its not exciting - not like sand is really that exciting - but that stuff is heavy) - also, if one more worker puts drywall or 2x4s on my cat6 / data cables i might lose it (found my cat6 cable for the room control panel under 2 sheets of drywall) - really hope they're all working when i get them set up
jesto's Avatar jesto 12:27 AM 04-13-2011
All I can say is that I thought I was smart, but figuring out EXACTLY where to put these things and have even spacing is a real pain.

Was pretty sure it was simple - take the length of the room and divide by three - of course that would be the logical way of doing it.

The back wall was pretty easy, found some 12" strips of OSB left over from the home depot cuts and I think i got this pretty close although it might look off kilter because of the corner columns, still haven't decided on how to handle the corners

Then I played around with some 16" MDF that was laying around from an old furniture carton (I knew they would come in useful! - been lugging these MDF boards around for 3 years now)

Problem was I kept mixing up On Center vs from edge to edge... net result - i spent way too long playing around with various size boards, laser levels, painters tape, etc trying to get it right.

Finally gave up and decided to come upstairs and check my latest sketchup - guess what - I got it wrong there too. The issue was I wasn't accounting for the centers of the end columns - I was either not counting them by doing on edge calculations, or I was calculating their full width - should've just calculated with 1/2 the width of each

SO.... just reworked it and this is what I came up with - will add arches and colors and such later

Side 1:

Side 2:

Can you tell the difference??
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar BIGmouthinDC 06:13 AM 04-13-2011
I think I would experiment with a design that has no columns in the corners or at the front wall. Visually if you need something of contrasting color use a thiner strip of some molding treatment. Then when you divided the room into thirds the back side wall columns should fit all on the riser.

Another thing to try is to put the rear corner columns at an angle in the corner then with equal spacing between edges everything slides back a bit.
tlogan6797's Avatar tlogan6797 06:57 AM 04-13-2011
Quote:
All I can say is that I thought I was smart, but figuring out EXACTLY where to put these things and have even spacing is a real pain.

Was pretty sure it was simple - take the length of the room and divide by three - of course that would be the logical way of doing it.
So did I. I divided the room and ran the electric for my sconces where I THOUGHT I would put columns. After putting in the stage, it throws the whole apparent geometry of the room out of whack. What used to appear to be the first third is now the stage, so it looks like the front.

So now I'm thinking either no columns at all or maybe one between the sconces just to break up the solid line of the wall.

Good luck working it out.

And I think you'll be quite happy with the Panny 4K. In my limited test setup, I was VERY pleased with the ease of centering the picture using the lens shift and zoom capability.

And there is a thread in the 3D forums about a new device that supposedly can turn ANY projector into a 3D projector...it may not be full HD 3D, but given the amount and type of 3D material available, Im' not so sure it's that big of an issue. I'm still waiting for someone to test it out with a Panny 4K before I jump in, though.
ox1216's Avatar ox1216 08:13 AM 04-13-2011
Jesto...Your room is coming along nicely!! I'm in the metro area as well. Did you get your acustic panels local? Do you know of a place locally for acustic-transparent material.

-Alan
jesto's Avatar jesto 08:39 AM 04-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I think I would experiment with a design that has no columns in the corners or at the front wall. Visually if you need something of contrasting color use a thiner strip of some molding treatment. Then when you divided the room into thirds the back side wall columns should fit all on the riser.

Another thing to try is to put the rear corner columns at an angle in the corner then with equal spacing between edges everything slides back a bit.

I'll give it a shot tonight without front and rear columns.

I don't think it would look right to angle the back corners since i'm going for a more classical look (although I do love how Brad's turned out).

Side 1 showed the column adjacent to the riser at 12" - that was right at the lip of the riser (maybe 1" overlap tops) and that could easily be fudged

Side 2 shows the column adjacent to the riser at 16" to accomodate the side surrounds, I'll have to figure out the best placement for those speakers (they will be dipole) because I dont really like how 16" columns look
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar BIGmouthinDC 09:11 AM 04-13-2011
Here is a picture I stole from someone who posted it here. Basically no columns in corners.

Another one I've saved from John Elway's theater a little hard to see but no corner columns

jesto's Avatar jesto 09:20 AM 04-13-2011
I like the first one - allows for wider columns without being overbearing - wonder how it would work with the arches i have planned
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar BIGmouthinDC 09:27 AM 04-13-2011
Not a problem. I think you would want a piece of something running vertically at the edge by the screen wall, maybe about 3-4 inches wide.

This is what you are talking about for arches, Right? Maybe a little more rounded, Also look at the size of the soffit relative to the column depth in the picture.

jesto's Avatar jesto 09:52 AM 04-13-2011
looks almost exactly like what i want!

need a bigger screen of course
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar BIGmouthinDC 10:02 AM 04-13-2011
Look at how the seating is pushed up close to the far wall. No aisle on the far side, Not ideal but one way of dealing with a limited width.

If anyone wants to know I stole the picture from Stargate Cinemas web site. It was a sample picture for the carpet shown.
jesto's Avatar jesto 10:12 AM 04-13-2011
Quote:

Look at how the seating is pushed up close to the far wall. No aisle on the far side, Not ideal but one way of dealing with a limited width.

I think my seats will be narrower and not curved

also - i do kind of like how the column looks next to the screen wall
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar BIGmouthinDC 10:59 AM 04-13-2011
I wonder if it has to be a full width column to achieve the same thing visually.
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar BIGmouthinDC 08:07 PM 04-13-2011
Quote:

I wonder if it has to be a full width column to achieve the same thing visually.

Nope

columns at screen wall and back wall 12 inches wide, Column in the middle of the room 16 to accomidate your surrounds.

Here is a sketch somewhat to scale showing construction details

randy98mtu's Avatar randy98mtu 05:44 AM 04-14-2011
That's beautiful Big. I've been looking at lots of theaters and trying to figure out a way to combine wood trim and fabric panels that will have an acceptable WAF. I think this will do it! I was formulating a plan in my head, and when you posted this it pretty much turned on the light bulb!
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar BIGmouthinDC 05:56 AM 04-14-2011
Thanks Randy, I just took that earlier picture which seemed to have the design elements that Jesto wanted and sketched it using materials we could work with assuming Jesto wants to do it. The arches would be a layer or two of MDF installed before the crown.
tlogan6797's Avatar tlogan6797 06:29 AM 04-14-2011
...and you did it all without your trusty little architectural ruler! Now if I could just find you a slide rule....
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar BIGmouthinDC 06:40 AM 04-14-2011
I can do 1/2 inch = one foot without coffee. Anything more exotic requires that ruler of mine.
dc_pilgrim's Avatar dc_pilgrim 07:10 AM 04-14-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy98mtu View Post

That's beautiful Big. I've been looking at lots of theaters and trying to figure out a way to combine wood trim and fabric panels that will have an acceptable WAF. I think this will do it! I was formulating a plan in my head, and when you posted this it pretty much turned on the light bulb!

We practically need a show me thread of all of Big's sketches. We'd have to paypal him the couple bucks to get the upgraded bandwidth from photobucket.
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar BIGmouthinDC 07:31 AM 04-14-2011
I already have to pay for a Pro Account with Photobucket. My pictures get 80,000 to 100,000 views per month.
jesto's Avatar jesto 11:02 AM 04-14-2011
OK,

Narrowing it down to two column options, going to go with 12"x4" for the front area and back corners, and 16" for the columns where speakers will be placed

LEFT SIDE: 16" Left Surround speaker column is dead center with the riser lip

RIGHT SIDE: 16" Right Surround speaker column is flush with the edge of the riser

All opinions welcome

jesto's Avatar jesto 11:19 AM 04-14-2011
Here's another view with the seats in place

BIGmouthinDC's Avatar BIGmouthinDC 11:19 AM 04-14-2011
What are those funky things in the rear corners? I would pick either the side wall or the back wall and lay the column flat. Or do an angled column in the corner.
jesto's Avatar jesto 11:23 AM 04-14-2011
Quote:

What are those funky things in the rear corners?

corner columns - not sure if i'd want them to be "L" Shaped like that - but figured i would give it a try

Other option I guess is to just have them along the either the right/left or just the back

wdyt?
BIGmouthinDC's Avatar BIGmouthinDC 11:27 AM 04-14-2011
They would be more visible on the back wall. But, what about the equipment access?
premiertrussman's Avatar premiertrussman 01:12 PM 04-14-2011
Awesome build so far, Im gonna have to keep my eye on this one. Cant wait to see it done!
premiertrussman's Avatar premiertrussman 01:12 PM 04-14-2011
Quote:

Pre coffee self portrait showing the issue with HT seat planning, you need to anticipate the feet hanging over:

My what BIG eyes you have....
jesto's Avatar jesto 01:15 PM 04-14-2011
Quote:

They would be more visible on the back wall. But, what about the equipment access?

I believe we have 1ft from the edge - need to remeasure - if its an issue then we either kill the rear columns, angle them, or just do them on the sides with maybe a cutout of the column as part of the door
jesto's Avatar jesto 01:18 PM 04-14-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by premiertrussman View Post

Awesome build so far Im gonna have to keep my eye on this one.

Thanks for the compliment - we're having fun building it

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiertrussman View Post

Cant wait to see it done!

Me too my friend - me too
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop