Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 587 Old 05-15-2011, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Looking good, as usual. Nice job!

What did Mrs. Jesto serve for dinner tonight?

The Un-Theater Un-Build

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 587 Old 05-16-2011, 06:20 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 511
I finished before dinner. So got home in time to watch HBO's Game of Thrones and Treme in real time rather than recorded like the past few weeks.
post #453 of 587 Old 05-16-2011, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I went through your thread and tried to learn as much as I can.
It was mentioned that you had inserted a Plywood at the spot where projector will be installed. Can you tell me more about it?
What were the dimensions of the plywood?
How was the plywood attached?
Did you have a specific projector in mind when you did that or will this plywood help with any projector you end up buying? Different projectors have different throw distances so I am trying to figure out exactly where I should add the plywood.

Thanks
post #454 of 587 Old 05-16-2011, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Re: the plywood- we put a 4x4 sheet up on the ceiling directly on the channel in the center back of the room. This was really the only place in the room where the projector would work (without installing it on the back wall behind the seats) - so we figured 4'x4' was a good size

here are some pics before the screenwall went up - a couple of changes after the pic was taken
1) wires were tucked in behind linacoustic
2) L/R speakers were elevated a bit
3) all the spools were cleaned up
4) room was touched up (thanks Mr. Big!)

and of the rear speakers - the column capital (even if we don't use the ones in the pics) will cover the wires

and one of the sides

couch is in the room - sound is insanely good - picture is awesome - i'm THRILLED

PHASE 1 IS COMPLETE

will try to get some pictures with better lighting as well and post later
post #455 of 587 Old 05-16-2011, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

oh - and a screen shot - definitely will get a better shot with a real camera (trust me - it looks amazing)

to test - we watched the gladiator opening battle scene like 3 times

threw in the house of flying daggers drum scene as well

and then watched the first race on Cars with my 1yr old - she was amazed

all good
post #456 of 587 Old 05-16-2011, 06:58 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

On the plywood. It was screwed to the channel just as you would drywall with screws designed to attach drywall to metal framing. It was positioned at the very back of the room in this case. It was 5/8 thick which matched the drywall. When we put the drywall up on the ceiling we started at the back and completed the first 4 feet. Then added the rest. The second layer went up starting in the front which overlapped the seams.
post #457 of 587 Old 05-17-2011, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Now that Phase 1 is complete - here are some updated pics

Here's the rack as set up (temporarily) - will probably still go with creating a door into the room

Here's the plan for the moldings - but going with a shorter baseboard so we can picture mold the column bases

Front of the room, including screenwall, temp couch, and temp carpet

Back of the room including temp carpet

and finally - a better screenshot (i hope)

Note: loving the Panasonic - you can do split screen optimizatinos, save projection settings (currently set up for both 2.35 and 16:9)

best reward: brought my daughter down to watch sound of music (testing true 7.1) - she fell asleep in my arms within 20 minutes
post #458 of 587 Old 05-17-2011, 08:04 AM

Amazing. I'm very jealous, though I haven't put in the time you guys have! I need to get moving, but there is just always too much going on.
post #459 of 587 Old 05-17-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I didn't see it at the beginning of the thread so, what are the room dimensions? Nice job on the build!

I couldn't tell how the panels around the screen were installed, especially at the walls, ceiling and stage. Is there a wood backer or anything? The one other question is do the panels overlap the screen edge or but up to it?

Thanks.
post #460 of 587 Old 05-17-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Excellent progress! The room looks great.

I wasn't impressed with the native 7.1 track in Sound of Music. I did, however, really like the 7.1 track in Toy Story 3!

Give that one a shot if you want to hear a great 7.1 track.

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #461 of 587 Old 05-17-2011, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post

I didn't see it at the beginning of the thread so, what are the room dimensions? Nice job on the build!

I couldn't tell how the panels around the screen were installed, especially at the walls, ceiling and stage. Is there a wood backer or anything? The one other question is do the panels overlap the screen edge or but up to it?

Thanks.

Tom - the room is 14'1"x21'3" - if you go to the beginning of the thread you can see it was a retro job where we tore down an old room and built this one pretty much new

Mr. Big designed and built the panels and screen wall- you can see his thread (for this build) outlining it here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post20441552

He also has a masterful (if not the best) build thread on the board
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=683853

and a great thread outlining his screen wall approach
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=837848
post #462 of 587 Old 05-17-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

Excellent progress! The room looks great.

I wasn't impressed with the native 7.1 track in Sound of Music. I did, however, really like the 7.1 track in Toy Story 3!

Give that one a shot if you want to hear a great 7.1 track.

Carb,

Will definitely be giving it a shot next weekend at the party - just went with i had open and on hand for last night (also known as second night with a working home theater -I agree that the 7.1 wasn't very impressive - but it was a start - i think the only other 7.1 i have on hand is Tangled - which was good for setting up the 16:9

The main goal yesterday was to ensure that i could get 7.1 working on my pioneer receiver - for some reason when we first tested things out i wasn't getting back channels. Then i RTFM and figured out how to get the back channels working on 5.1, but first confirmed with the sound of music that all was good in the world

The songs and dancing definitely also helped my soon to be 1yr old fall asleep - so i think we'll be developing a new tradition for when mommy is working late (she's a nurse)
post #463 of 587 Old 05-18-2011, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Minor update:

Smoke alarm installed today - ordered it from the folks that did my security system so it ties in with the rest of the house - Dude went the extra mile and painted it black for me before he brought it over - now that's the kind of service we need everywhere!

Also, step lights arrived - i'll have to paint them myself. Luckily my electrician friend is coming over on Saturday for the party - so I have a sneaky suspicion i might be getting those installed on Saturday as well I'll need to paint those black myself
post #464 of 587 Old 05-20-2011, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Theater has a door
post #465 of 587 Old 05-20-2011, 07:34 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Have you tested the sound containment now that you have a door or are you running around getting everything ready for your daughters big day tomorrow. Weather forecast looks good.
post #466 of 587 Old 05-20-2011, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Definitely running around getting ready for tomorrow - including setting everything up so the remote works and the panasonic projector behaves
post #467 of 587 Old 05-20-2011, 09:10 PM

Quick question regarding the Xbox - have you tried it yet? Using an IR repeater? Any lag if you have used it?
post #468 of 587 Old 05-21-2011, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Have you tested the sound containment now that you have a door or are you running around getting everything ready for your daughters big day tomorrow. Weather forecast looks good.
Yeah I'll second that question, and what kind of door did you go with and did you do a lot of weather stripping around it?

It looks like you have a nice deep doorway, if you need to you might go with one of Ted's recommendations which is a door on each side, each opening out, creating a kind of airlock effect.

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #469 of 587 Old 05-21-2011, 05:06 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Jesto is probably still trying to get the lemon cake and ice cream off the screen so I'll answer a couple of those questions. The door is a 1 3/4 thick Masonite solid core Safe and Sound. Regular doors are 1 3/8 so this is a little beefier. It matches the other doors in the house. His guy couldn't get a prehung on a weatherstripped jamb so we may need to do a retrofit on that aspect.

Originally Jesto was planning on a double door entry because he had the space, but in the end decided to give this a try first and see what additional measures are necessary.

If normal theater sounds don't make it up to the second floor bedrooms then there really isn't a need for the additional door.
post #470 of 587 Old 05-23-2011, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Jesto is probably still trying to get the lemon cake and ice cream off the screen

Ha! - the screen actually survived in tact.

The party was a huge success - my daughter had an awesome time, tasted cake for the first time, and was the life of the party

re: the theater - Friday night initial screening was Saving Private Ryan to test out the audio - once again it was insanely awesome

The room was occupied all day (and night) Saturday - screenings included Kung Fu Panda, Tangled, and Iron Man. The rest of the night, my nephew commandeered the room with my nieces for some guitar hero, rock band, and Call of Duty Black Ops (he even slept down there)

A couple of things of note...
1) i readjusted the Pioneer Receiver's MACC setting and pumped up the bass a little bit - probably not the best idea b/c a little bit of bass vibration did get to the outer walls - that was fixed anyway b/c it was a little bit overwhelming
2) i need to remember to remind people that i'm still figuring out the best way to get the projector to switch from 2.35 to 16:9 (everything else is handled by one button on the harmony remote). My brother decided that he would "fix" my projector when watching a movie after a 16:9 switch and started playing around with the dials on the projector (physical shifts) rather than reach out to me - took about an hour to fix - oy!

Quote:

The door is a 1 3/4 thick Masonite solid core Safe and Sound. Regular doors are 1 3/8 so this is a little beefier. It matches the other doors in the house. His guy couldn't get a prehung on a weatherstripped jamb so we may need to do a retrofit on that aspect.

Originally Jesto was planning on a double door entry because he had the space, but in the end decided to give this a try first and see what additional measures are necessary.

If normal theater sounds don't make it up to the second floor bedrooms then there really isn't a need for the additional door

Turns out other than that little issue of me being overzealous with the 2 subwoofers.... once the single door was shut - ABSOLUTELY NO SOUND GOT OUT OF THE THEATER - even down in the basement

I originally bought an interior door frame which turned out to be a waste of money because it was just too small. My contractor built out the door frame for the depth of the wall using 3/4" plywood, and then we put weather stripping all around the door. As i mentioned - this worked perfectly

So for now i'm thinking the single door is enough and the entrance to the theater will probably be framed with a nice curtain on the outside.

Short Term Next Steps
1) Carpet is ordered and should be in late this week
2) need to finalize base molding and chair rail ASAP so it can get installed before the carpet - i'm thinking of going with a brownish color - any thoughts?
3) finalize crown molding and tray light plan
4) paint and install the step lights which arrived last week
5) install rest of the components and shelves in the rack and test
post #471 of 587 Old 05-23-2011, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew1000 View Post

Quick question regarding the Xbox - have you tried it yet? Using an IR repeater? Any lag if you have used it?

no lag on the xbox using a repeater
post #472 of 587 Old 05-23-2011, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesto View Post

Turns out other than that little issue of me being overzealous with the 2 subwoofers.... once the single door was shut - ABSOLUTELY NO SOUND GOT OUT OF THE THEATER - even down in the basement

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #473 of 587 Old 05-23-2011, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesto View Post

That's always comforting to hear. Hope all my efforts with soundproofing also pay off.
post #474 of 587 Old 05-23-2011, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the report Jesto. I'm glad the single door solution worked. I'm on my way now to order my masonite door.

Could you get us some photos of your door - jamb and weatherstripping?

post #475 of 587 Old 05-23-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

What do you need a repeater for with the XBOX? Mine uses bluetooth for the communications between the controller and the device.

post #476 of 587 Old 05-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

What do you need a repeater for with the XBOX? Mine uses bluetooth for the communications between the controller and the device.

You must be the only one...360 controllers use 2.4 GHz wireless signals (which still don't require a repeater to work through walls, by the way).

The PS3, as well as the Wii both use bluetooth though. The 360 does have an IR eye for use with remotes though, so maybe that's what he was referring to?
post #477 of 587 Old 05-23-2011, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

What HDVids said - for the remote

Controls are wireless and work just fine
post #478 of 587 Old 05-23-2011, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Went to order the masonite safe n sound door. Oy too many choices! I was paralyzed. Do I want standard sized 30X80? Can get just about any size I want and they will build the jamb to fit, now I'm thinking about 32X80 just to give a little bit more room to get stuff in and out of there. You can go up to 36X80 like a front entry door but that seems excessive.

post #479 of 587 Old 05-23-2011, 05:06 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Be sure to get the 1 3/4 thick version.
post #480 of 587 Old 05-24-2011, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDvids4all View Post

You must be the only one...360 controllers use 2.4 GHz wireless signals (which still don't require a repeater to work through walls, by the way).

AHA. You are right...I don't know where that came from. XBox is 2.4GHz, PS3 is BT.

I didn't even think about using the XBox remote.

Carry on, and sorry for the slight derailment....

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page