Garden Level Basement Wall Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 02-03-2011, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,
I'm a new member who is starting a dedicated theater room in my basement. The basics are: Projector, 120" screen, 7.1 surround. Room is 14.6' x 27' and I'm planning a false wall behind the stage for the equipment room that will cut the 27' down to 23'. My right side wall is garden level exterior wall so I'm wondering if the ledge will be a problem acoustically? See attached sketch.
Thanks,
Brian

South Wall.pdf 115.6142578125k . file
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-03-2011, 09:13 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 613
I'm not aware on any acoustic issues but you could just build the wall straight up for aesthetics if you want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 29 Old 02-03-2011, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
+1, that's what I plan on doing, BIG.

Right now, it's a playroom, and a perfect ledge for a row of stuffed animals.

Of course, unsure of what to do with the windows on that wall...

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 29 Old 02-03-2011, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

+1, that's what I plan on doing, BIG.

Right now, it's a playroom, and a perfect ledge for a row of stuffed animals.

Of course, unsure of what to do with the windows on that wall...

But why would you lose the ledge with the stuffed animals? Where will they sit now?

Follow my build here:
post #5 of 29 Old 02-03-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If the room is to be dedicated, I would do as big said and wall the whole thing, then make plugs for the windows.

On the otherhand, if it is going to be an open concept, you can keep the ledge and windows if you want, for the windows just get some blackout blinds.

Michael

PSN: Chiahead

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #6 of 29 Old 02-03-2011, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

When I originally built the house I planed on doing an open design and this was going to be the screen wall. But I've decided to wall it off the main basement area and rotate the room for a dedicated theater. Is there any other benefit than aesthetics? Thanks for the input. The more I read on this forum the more there is I realize I have no idea what I'm getting into.
Brian

Here is a stab at my floor plan. Any help greatly appreciated.

Graves Theater 1.pdf 46.61328125k . file
post #7 of 29 Old 02-04-2011, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

You might want a door to cover the rack, located next to the screen; equipment LEDs may be distracting. Then you'd need some kind of venting/cooling for the rack closet.

What is the room behind the screen for? If just for the rack, you could put speakers there, and mount the screen on a broad opening in the wall.

Any relation to Peter Graves?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #8 of 29 Old 02-04-2011, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Any relation to Peter Graves?

Haha... Somewhere down the line.. but not in the money.

Ya, the wall is only to make room for equipment so I can get to the back without having to stand on my head. I was thinking a smoked glass door over the opening would do the trick to hide the lights and noise from the EQ.
Any other thoughts?
Thanks,
B
post #9 of 29 Old 02-04-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

If you move the rack to the 'door' end of the equipment room, you could put your speakers in that room, behind the screen. Rack near door would continue to provide access to the rear of the rack. Slightly easier, IMO, than a pull-out rack. Wall behind speakers is usually treated with absorbant material.

post #10 of 29 Old 02-04-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

But why would you lose the ledge with the stuffed animals? Where will they sit now?

You're right. Maybe I should leave them.

Look for my new build thread 'The Stuffed Animal Themed Theater!'.

post #11 of 29 Old 02-05-2011, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I've got the theater end of the basement cleaned and lumber for the walls bought and inside.

Looking West

Looking East

*Fixed the pictures*

Update, I got the North wall build yesterday and will work on the south wall today.
post #12 of 29 Old 02-06-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

I built the south wall yesterday and it has me thinking. I may scrap the idea of the equipment room behind the screen and move the eq to the back of the theater. If I build a 3' x 3' closet in the back north west corner will that mess with the room acoustics too much?
Thanks,

Screen layout taped on the east wall.
post #13 of 29 Old 02-07-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

That screen looks awful small, go big or go home...

Michael

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #14 of 29 Old 02-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

^^^agreed...

Seems to be a ton of unused realestate on that screen wall
post #15 of 29 Old 02-07-2011, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiahead View Post
That screen looks awful small, go big or go home...
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghot View Post
^^^agreed...

Seems to be a ton of unused realestate on that screen wall
Looked a bit small to me too.. that is a 46x109 2.35 screen dimensions.

Bad thing is I got notice at work today that I'm getting laid off. So the project looks like it will be taking a back burner for a while. Anyone need a construction project manager? Or framing around Fort Collins, CO?
B
post #16 of 29 Old 02-07-2011, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocyphus View Post
Looked a bit small to me too.. that is a 46x109 2.35 screen dimensions.

Bad thing is I got notice at work today that I'm getting laid off. So the project looks like it will be taking a back burner for a while. Anyone need a construction project manager? Or framing around Fort Collins, CO?
B
Ouch. Worst update ever!

If I may weigh in on the screen size...too small! I have 9" on either side of my screen. I went with a 130" wide screen and love it!

Hope things work out for you.

Follow my build here:
post #17 of 29 Old 02-07-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry man.

I know of nothing up north there. Of course there really isn't much down south here either. My brother in law and dad are in the construction industry, and it is still really slow.

Michael

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #18 of 29 Old 02-09-2011, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Whoo... Hoooo.... I just got a job offer... less than 72hrs after I got notice! That has got to be a record in this economy! Especially in the Construction Industry!
Brian
post #19 of 29 Old 02-09-2011, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Well then, congratulations are in order! Sounds like right place, right time. I hope you bought a lottery ticket too!

Follow my build here:
post #20 of 29 Old 02-09-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

time to celebrate, and enlarge that screen!!!

Michael

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #21 of 29 Old 02-10-2011, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Yep, A larger screen is in the workings.

So I've decided to move the EQ closet to the back near the door. It will face out to the game room and have a cabinet door for access to the rear for wiring changes. My south facing wall is now built about 1" from the foundation wall. A few questions have come up. Do I need to decouple the south wall? Do I need a East wall at all or just use fabric over the concrete and sound treat it? (Base traps, 703?) I'm leaning towards DD, Clips and GG the North wall shared to the game room. There will be a soffit around the room and an acoustical drop ceiling with insulation above that. Do I use DD,Clips,GG on the soffit too?

A little more about our build: I'm out on 45 acres so neighbors are not a problem. However my bed room is just above this space and if I wake up my wife it is a problem...

Thanks all!!!
Brian

Plan Up is South in this pic.

Here is the South Wall (looking south west)
post #22 of 29 Old 02-10-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

My south facing wall is now built about 1" from the foundation wall. Do I need to decouple the south wall?

If the studs are 1” away and not significantly contacting that foundation by some other means, then the south wall is already decoupled.

Quote:

Do I need a East wall at all or just use fabric over the concrete and sound treat it?

I think Dennis would answer best.

Quote:

I'm leaning towards DD, Clips and GG the North wall shared to the game room. There will be a soffit around the room…

OK, good.

Quote:

… and an acoustical drop ceiling with insulation above that.

Not so good. The ceiling will hold little sound back (they are not designed for this) and this means I would not recommend going too heavy on the other walls. Certainly no clips and GG

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #23 of 29 Old 02-10-2011, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post

If the studs are 1 away and not significantly contacting that foundation by some other means, then the south wall is already decoupled.

The stud walls are nailed to the foundation at either end and to the joist at the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post

Not so good. The ceiling will hold little sound back (they are not designed for this) and this means I would not recommend going too heavy on the other walls. Certainly no clips and GG

Would it be better to go drywall? I wanted the drop ceiling for future access to wiring changes.

Thanks
post #24 of 29 Old 02-11-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Drywall will give you better sound isolation. Ted is saying if you do drop, don't bother with green glue or sound clips. Sound isolation is like damming a river. You have to block it all or it will not work, just dipping your hand in a stream will not block the water, it just flows around your fingers to find a way downstream, same with sound. If you do the walls, but the ceiling is open, the sound will flank around your walls and continue into the rest of the house.

As for connecting to the joists, that wall is now not isolated from the house. I used RSIC clips to connect the wall to the joists. You can still continue, but now you need clips along the wall surface to isolate the drywall from the wall itself. (that is basically what I did to isolate my drywall on the ceiling from the joists above.

Next remember mass is best. 2 layers of drywall is always better than 1. Besides you need 2 to have something to place the green glue in between. next 3 is better than 2.

Next, HVAC, electrical boxes, lights, doors, and in Colorado, our floating walls (you did float right?) these are your next weak points that need to be dammed. I used MLV in the floated walls, many people build containment boxed for the outlets and lights, doors can be solid core, add more mass, and weather strip, even makeing a double door (go through two doors to get into the room, not a french door).

Michael

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #25 of 29 Old 02-15-2011, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiahead View Post

If you do the walls, but the ceiling is open, the sound will flank around your walls and continue into the rest of the house.

You can still continue, but now you need clips along the wall surface to isolate the drywall from the wall itself.

Next remember mass is best. 2 layers of drywall is always better than 1.

Next, HVAC, electrical boxes, lights, doors, and in Colorado, our floating walls (you did float right?) these are your next weak points that need to be dammed. doors can be solid core,

So dropped ceiling is a bad idea, I can hang drywall easy enough. Is there any acoustical reason to go with the drop ceiling?

Yep, I floated the walls even though my house is over 8 years old now. (Most of the swelling will happen in the first 5 years if it is going to.)

I guess my big concern is noise from the rest of the house getting in not so much it getting out. I have radiant floor heat and being in the basement it is always cool. My AC system is maxed out and the theater is at the furthest point from the HVAC unit. My plan is to rough in vents/returns in case I need them but to just dead end them in the next room in the unfinished area. Mistake? What do you all think? I will run a exhaust fan to the EQ closet for sure.
Thanks
Brian

BTW: I started the new job Monday. Back to the long hours of a contractor.
post #26 of 29 Old 02-20-2011, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

I supose I should start a build thread. Maybe "Graves Theater".

I picked up some more lumber to frame out the screen wall, equipment room and some of the soffit today. I up-sized the screen mock up to 132x57. Looking better?
Thanks Brian

post #27 of 29 Old 02-20-2011, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Oh! One other note! I was working on some framing in the theater on Saturday and my son was watching a movie up in my bedroom (On the TV!). I could hear every word through the floor. Plan is now changed to: isolate the walls and ceiling with DD, GG and clips. Also sound insulation on all walls and ceiling.
Brian
post #28 of 29 Old 02-21-2011, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

good choice, just don't go part way. conversations with Tedd at this point would be very helpful, and he can sell you the green glue and clips. Plus he can get you a better verbal price usually than what they can publish on the web site.

Michael

Loganed on 8/29/2008
post #29 of 29 Old 02-26-2011, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page