DIY construction methods of hang-able acoustic panels & moveable Corner traps (not fixed frames) - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #181 of 187 Old 02-25-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
I built 2 clouds, 1 each for each row, the 2nd one I put kraft paper on both ends that were out of the reflection path because I did not want to over absorb the mid/highs, but still get bass absorbing.

This "big cloud" you are building how large is it? Mine were 2 ft x 13-ish feet both.

Do you have some design already, and materials bought just waiting for time to do it?
So my big cloud was/is looking to be about 10' x 2' - I actually might make it a bit larger to catch all the 1st reflections...as you can see this tool shows I am right at 2 ft, actually a bit over.

I am using your design :-) m 1 x 4 x 10'. I have 3" thick roxul safe and sound and will hang 4" or so off the ceiling.
My cove is about 12 ft and I have crown (not installed yet) so I think any wider than 10' would look strange.

My second row is wacky, in my room it is most likely bouncing off the face of my soffit...assuming it goes back down, etc...I am not sure what I can do with that. The software has no ability to show this cove, so what this picture shows is not super accurate for 2nd row. First row is inside the cove, so all good.

If you have suggestions, suggest away !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 187 Old 02-26-2015, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 454
^^^ ok - 1st row.
measure and post your ETC, then build the first row ceiling cloud, install it, measure, subjective listen.
>>How does your soundstage/imaging sound now?
post #183 of 187 Old 02-26-2015, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^^^ ok - 1st row.
measure and post your ETC, then build the first row ceiling cloud, install it, measure, subjective listen.
>>How does your soundstage/imaging sound now?
Soundstage and imaging sound really good to my "untrained" ears.

Only question I have left, is SHOULD I make the 1st row cloud larger than 2' - since it looks like the 1st ceiling reelection is RIGHT at 2'. Will making it bigger help with the sound NOT BOUNCING off the edges of the wood frame ?

Would going 2 1/2 foot wide cause any negative effects ?
post #184 of 187 Old 02-26-2015, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

2' was/is a "nice" size simply because sheets came in 2' x 4' size, it worked for me.
If you need 2.5 ft wide than do that, I remember reading in one of these hundereds of threads that while people have touted the advantages of having the sides of acoustic panels "open" to catch specular reflections, the testing has shown it's really neutral, ie, both framed sides and opened sides performed similar enough in real world. So, don't sweat it too much....
(either Ethan W site or at Gearslutz, I can't recall)
post #185 of 187 Old 02-26-2015, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
2' was/is a "nice" size simply because sheets came in 2' x 4' size, it worked for me.
If you need 2.5 ft wide than do that, I remember reading in one of these hundereds of threads that while people have touted the advantages of having the sides of acoustic panels "open" to catch specular reflections, the testing has shown it's really neutral, ie, both framed sides and opened sides performed similar enough in real world. So, don't sweat it too much....
(either Ethan W site or at Gearslutz, I can't recall)
Cool...yeah my stuff is 16" wide, so I am going length dimension and cutting.

Oh, I did have one more questions (sorry I have two threads that are similar, but I am trying to focus this on the building of the cloud vs. 1st reflection)...but I will ask here if that is ok.

Do you (or anybody) have any idea what tilting UP the center channel has on 1st reflection on ceiling. The software most likely does not account for that, and I know testing would, but I have no way of holding my entire cloud at that height to test.

My gut tells me it MUST move 1st ceiling reflection closer to the front ??
post #186 of 187 Old 02-26-2015, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

DIY construction methods of hang-able acoustic panels & moveable Corner traps...

^^^acousticians give sound fancy names, like modal waves and spectular Rays. I'll simplify, mathematically sound below what's called Fs, the translation frequency behaves like a sine wave, and wave theory can be used for its modeling and visualization. Sound above Fs behaves like spectular Rays, that is fancy way of saying like many straight lines starting from the same source and leaving it into 3D space. Fs is typically 250hz or so in common small room sizes.
What that means from your case of pointing the center channel upward vs straight? That means the reflected angle analysis is correct, but the strength of those reflections may be more because most speakers are strongest on axis and have some db fall off pattern off axis. Some speaker companies publish this info. It won't affect placement of your acoustic cloud, well technically maybe a nudge more foreword but starting with the Ray tracing as baseline is a good start. Best is having measurement mic to exactly place it.

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP

Last edited by mtbdudex; 02-26-2015 at 01:09 PM.
post #187 of 187 Old 03-15-2015, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, finished by rear traps, 3.5 " Roxul Mineral Wool plus 3" air gap. Looks great too and it helps a ton...it really cut down on the echoes coming off the "close" ceiling in the back wall
Cloud is finished as well, just have to hang it and take pics.
mtbdudex likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction