Bar Railing - Day 3
Well, a long day in the shop, but I'm certainly not going to complain about time spent there... always quality time!
I picked up from where I left off yesterday, still milling the curves, but the top side profiles now. Here's the inside corner starting to get machined:
Done with the first passes; still fairly rough:
And basically completed -- I went back and tried to knock down some of the big ridges with light, secondary passes:
Then a few passes on the router table with a 7/8" roundover bit installed finished off the lower edge:
On to the outside corner. On this one, I decided to hog out most of the material with my most aggressive bit, a 1/2" solid carbide spiral (though still many multiple passes, about 1/8" or so plunge per pass):
Then a long 1/2" straight cutting bit to define the outside edge:
Followed by multiple passes with the 1/2" round nose bit. That resulted in a pretty good fit on the bar:
One minor problem -- some chipout from me getting too aggressive on the routing operation:
This is on the part of the curve that rests on the granite, so it would definitely be visible...
A goofy clamping setup to glue in a replacement piece:
And repaired. Hopefully only I'll know it's there when everything is done...
Now on to the straight pieces. SO
First I milled out the bottom profiles with a dado set, tilted at 21.5 degrees:
Then I used the table saw to cut the main coves in the middle of the top profile:
For this cove, it involved running the piece diagonally across the blade at a 53 degree angle, raising the blade very slightly with each pass. I've never done this technique before but I was pleased with how well it worked!
And back over to the router table to create the edge roundovers:
Those machining steps got things pretty close for the straight pieces. Then it was over to the workbench for some quality time with my block plane and a little profile template that I'd use to check my progress:
After all that machine work, it's always so nice to remove the ear plugs and just use hand tools...
Finally, it was time to join the curved and straight pieces and start the final fitting. A block plane, a riffler file set, a curved scraper, and, of course, sand paper:
I didn't completely finish tonight but I'm only missing the last little piece on the right side, which should be pretty easy:
As you can see, I still need to complete the finish work on that outside curve which I'll do once I join up that last straight section.
A close-up of the inside curve. Still needs quite a bit of sanding, and the color match between the two pieces of wood isn't great, but hopefully my finisher guy can fix that:
And the left end, where it hits the theater wall. I did need to mill out a little relief on that so it would fit inside the door casing:
This has been one tricky portion of the overall project and I can't tell you how relieved I am that I'm nearing the end of it. Thank you very much to those who pitched in to help or just to lend an encouraging word!