Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 390 Old 02-26-2014, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

This $99 Ryobi I got at HD on a whim seems to perform well. It's cheap plastic, almost disposable. But it seems to work well given it's low price and plastic design. I am not an avid wood worker- but I am considering upgrading it to something more robust and capable given I have a home additional and theater build starting very soon. Just wondering if I can get by without spending more since I am on a very tight budget.......
I made a huge mess (sorry I am no where near as neat or organized as Cowger tongue.gif ) but in the end I learned a new skill. I am not perfect at it by any means, but I feel like next time I could probably do a really good job with better results now that I know what I am doing. There was learning curve for sure. And - if I bought the cabinet doors everything I could find to purchase was very expensive in comparison. I likely would have resorted to just using plywood.

Special thanks for sharing your project and giving me the inspiration to try something new and outside my comfort zone!

I get most of my tools from Lowe's and Harbor Freight - the 2 year replacement warranty is my best friend. Like you, after learning something, I know I could do a better job the next time. I always say, I know what I'm doing by the time I finish and wished I could redo it.

Cowger, beautiful custom work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 390 Old 02-26-2014, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamie View Post

I get most of my tools from Lowe's and Harbor Freight - the 2 year replacement warranty is my best friend. Like you, after learning something, I know I could do a better job the next time. I always say, I know what I'm doing by the time I finish and wished I could redo it.

Cowger, beautiful custom work

Thanks, Mamie!! I appreciate you spending your first post on my humble thread... tongue.gif
Mfusick likes this.
post #363 of 390 Old 04-02-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 933
With your wood working skills and tools did you ever consider making your own speakers and subs? I'd love to see what you could do wink.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #364 of 390 Old 04-02-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Or if you got really ambitious you could give an expanding dining room table a try:
Daniel Chaves likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #365 of 390 Old 04-03-2014, 08:10 PM
DGF

Liked: 39
Quote:

Or if you got really ambitious you could give an expanding dining room table a try:]

How great is that! Devilishly brilliant!
Mfusick likes this.
post #366 of 390 Old 04-04-2014, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Wow. I wish I had those wood working skills. That table is awesome.
tongue.gif

Klipsch Rocks!
post #367 of 390 Old 04-04-2014, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post

How great is that! Devilishly brilliant!

Agreed, that is an impressive bit of engineering and woodworking execution. I can't even imagine how to go about making that all work...

No attempt yet to build subs, though I've thought about it. My theater is wired to add two more at the rear corners, so I'll probably get to that at some point.

Both the bar and the HT have been working out well, and we've been enjoying a lot of popcorn, cocktails, and movies in there. My next project is to build a beer brewing rig so I can start stocking the kegerators with home brew. I also finally got around to building a proper workbench for my shop, something I've been wanting to do for years. I had a lot of fun doing it, too.

post #368 of 390 Old 04-04-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Wow that looks sweet ! I think I'm gonna build me some of your stacker saw horses this weekend - you still like then better than normal ones ?

-

post #369 of 390 Old 04-04-2014, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Wow that looks sweet ! I think I'm gonna build me some of your stacker saw horses this weekend - you still like then better than normal ones ?

Thanks!

On the sawhorses, yes, I still like and use them a lot. They are sturdy, easy to store out of the way in a single stack, and I'd say I use them equally in their "half height" (just a single saw pony) and "full height" modes. I think they're definitely worth the time it takes to crank out a set. The key is making each of the 8 end pieces identical, so cutting them all from a single template worked well for me. Good luck and share what you come with!
post #370 of 390 Old 04-04-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'll check the scrap pile at my dad's- I think I counted a full sheet of ply and (8) 2x4's left over just sitting there- if the wood is free I'll do it up and post a quick pic biggrin.gif I just built some with the metal brackets you just inset 2x4's into recently but they are not so good.

You should give a DIY speaker or SUB a shot- I'd be very interested in seeing what you could come up with. I'd guess for you - you probably have the opposite approach and situation than the average DIYer. Most of the guys in the DIY forum have the desire for awesome bass or speakers but lack the technical skills required to do a complex build. In your case (I am assuming this) I think you probably have the technical skills required to build a wood box in a greater abundance - so you might be less concerned with design cheats- ease of construction- or availability of a pre cut and pre CNC machined flat pack that just glues together. Things like simple cuts or how it all fits on one sheet of wood I'm guessing doesn't matter one ounce to you. Judging by the woodworking shop and skills you've demonstrated- and the work you have done I think a few more pieces or cuts it nothing to you. I bet you are totally numb to it; whereas many of the DIY guys don't have your shop and skill set. I see guys paying $250 shipping (Just shipping !) for MDF wood pre-cut for some of the popular builds like the martycube, or the F-20, - even some square sealed boxes (lol). You could easily pull off something like this I think without too much trouble. It's much easier than much of the stuff I have seen you do.

Yesterday I swung by my dad's and cut a sealed 17" box for a 12" sub, a ported 24" cube @ 20hz for this cheap DIY sub project with an amazing amount of bass for $60 and also cut MDF boxes for a Nexus MTM kit for my office which I saw Matt Grant working on here which looked perfect for my office. I also cut up some boxes for some Fusion 8 ALCHEMY pair which should serve me as a high performance general purpose speaker for my workshop and to enjoy and move around my home during various remodel/construction projects. I'm still very NOOB at DIY speakers and subs but I am trying to learn- it looks like an awesome way to extract maximum value for my money spent- as well as a fun and a cool way to gain a sense of accomplishment for my efforts.

For the money spent a well designed and built DIY subwoofer is going to run laps around any commercially available subwoofer- regardless of the price or the designer. Even the high end ones with big name designers get demolished with measly little budgets in comparison. I grabbed that infinity 1260 driver from ebay for $59 shipped as basically an afterthought with the idea that if I was going to buy MDF and fire up the saw to make saw dust it might take me 30 more minutes to cut and measure a box for it - and it should hit 110db @20hz no problem for under $100. It's almost scary to think what kind of base you could get from 8 or 16 of them eek.gif Even 16 of them is under $1000. Wood and glue is cheap enough tongue.gif

I guess what I am saying is I would love to see what you could do or came up with- since the technical aspect of construction would be the easy part for you. I think you would go a direction where the build process was more complicated from a construction perspective for an added performance improvement - and I think if you were doing a serious long term project for your theater you would use something like a high end 18" sub instead. It could be pretty awesome biggrin.gif There is plenty of guys around here that could help with design input, port tuning, and woofer selection. It seems like most of the DIY guys are looking for the easy road that is straight foward for the construction - which sometimes limits the outcome or performance in exchange for the simplicity. Judging by your awesome bar build it's clear you are not afraid to take the hard road. biggrin.gif

-

post #371 of 390 Old 04-04-2014, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 25
WOW. You my sir are a true craftsman!
I would kill to have the selection of tools that you have in your shop
Do you have any pictures of your shop? I'm still working on the set up / layout of mine.
It must be a good size
Mfusick likes this.
post #372 of 390 Old 04-07-2014, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post

WOW. You my sir are a true craftsman!
I would kill to have the selection of tools that you have in your shop
Do you have any pictures of your shop? I'm still working on the set up / layout of mine.
It must be a good size

Thank you!! It has been a fun 10 years building the shop and then building it up to the point where I can actually make stuff in it. When we built our house, I was fortunate to have enough room on the lot for an additional building, essentially a 3 car garage, just across a motor court from the main garage/house. The shop is about 1000 sq-ft, certainly more than is needed, but it's always nice to have some extra space for projects or materials as they come in.

Here's a rough drawing of the shop from TurboCad, back from when I was deciding on the layout:

Hopefully that's readable. The dotted-line rectangles on the right side represent garage doors, in addition to the man door at the bottom right. I don't have any additional pictures of the space handy but am happy to take some of specific areas of interest, if you'd like.

Have fun setting yours up!!!
Bryan
post #373 of 390 Old 04-07-2014, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thanks a lot Bryan.
"more than is needed" LOL You can never have enough space!
I thought I was in heaven when we recently bought our house with a 24x26 shop out back then realized that it fills up quick
Don't get me wrong I love the space I have, I just need to get a good work flow.
Casters are my friend LOL
post #374 of 390 Old 04-09-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 307
That table is called a Fletcher Capstan. I wondered what the mechanism would look like. Here the inventor talks about the 15 years of development and how the thing works.
Mfusick, cowger and Daniel Chaves like this.
post #375 of 390 Old 04-09-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You couldn't help yourself could you ? You had to go understand how that table worked tongue.gif

That table is above my skill level I think. The easiest way to win is not to play. I'll just add inserts into a rectangle design when I do mine biggrin.gif
cowger likes this.

-

post #376 of 390 Old 04-09-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:

You couldn't help yourself could you ? You had to go understand how that table worked tongue.gif

That table is above my skill level I think. The easiest way to win is not to play. I'll just add inserts into a rectangle design when I do mine biggrin.gif

Yeah, well....you know....have to keep up my nerd "rep" and all!! biggrin.gif
Mfusick and Daniel Chaves like this.
post #377 of 390 Old 04-11-2014, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowger View Post

I also finally got around to building a proper workbench for my shop, something I've been wanting to do for years.

About time! Many times whilst reading this thread and looking at your crappy work, I thought to myself "if only cowger had a proper work bench he could do something really nice !" LOL biggrin.gif

Cheers,
design1stcode2nd likes this.
post #378 of 390 Old 04-11-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
That significantly nicer than my dining room table....
post #379 of 390 Old 04-11-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBon View Post

haha ! I thought the same thing. I love watching this stuff, this thread is always one of my favorites because the quality Bryan posts up is just outstanding.

-

post #380 of 390 Old 04-12-2014, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

About time! Many times whilst reading this thread and looking at your crappy work, I thought to myself "if only cowger had a proper work bench he could do something really nice !" LOL biggrin.gif

Funny! I'm on the hook now to kick things up a notch for the next project, apparently... smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBon View Post

Thank you! My wife actually came out and commented on how she'd love a kitchen table like that, beefy legs and all. Knock one item off the top of the list and another pops onto the bottom. Oh well... rolleyes.gif
Mfusick likes this.
post #381 of 390 Old 04-12-2014, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Do you know the model number for the dell monitor you have in the rack? I assume that is a custom faceplate as well for it?

War Eagle!
post #382 of 390 Old 04-12-2014, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008 View Post

Do you know the model number for the dell monitor you have in the rack? I assume that is a custom faceplate as well for it?

Sure, it's a Dell 1908WFP, which I think was the monitor with the best resolution that I could find at the time that also fit into a rack. And yes, it's a custom rackmount solution from http://www.customavrack.com; their prices are the best I've found for custom Middle Atlantic shelves and I usually get the shelf in about 2 or 3 days... always amazes me! smile.gif
post #383 of 390 Old 04-12-2014, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowger View Post

Sure, it's a Dell 1908WFP, which I think was the monitor with the best resolution that I could find at the time that also fit into a rack. And yes, it's a custom rackmount solution from http://www.customavrack.com; their prices are the best I've found for custom Middle Atlantic shelves and I usually get the shelf in about 2 or 3 days... always amazes me! smile.gif
Thank you very much. I have been trying to find a 1080p monitor that will fit in the rack. It doesn't look like there is anything out there.

War Eagle!
post #384 of 390 Old 04-14-2014, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

First of I would like to say just WOW on the build! You make the Noahs Ark look like a tiny padel boat. This thread has almost enspired me to sell all my motorhead toys and spent $100k on carpentry tools. I'm sure the wife would be happy to see all the wood laying around. Anyways, I just browsed thru the pictures due to time but when I have the chance I'll read the whole thread.

Truly amazing great job sir.

post #385 of 390 Old 04-14-2014, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrygutier View Post

Truly amazing great job sir.

Wow, thank you!! Enjoyed sharing it with you and everyone...
Mfusick likes this.
post #386 of 390 Old 05-29-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I miss your awesome updates and projects biggrin.gif

Anything new happening soon? I might be going through withdrawal....
cowger likes this.

-

post #387 of 390 Old 05-29-2014, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I miss your awesome updates and projects biggrin.gif

Anything new happening soon? I might be going through withdrawal....

smile.gif Thanks, Mike, you're both too funny and too kind.

Nothing new planned for the downstairs bar / theater area. The only project even loosely related is the beer brewing rig I've been working on; that should be ready for its first batch sometime in June, and I'm looking forward to adding some home brew(s) to the on-tap selections.

On a completely unrelated front, we recently bought a 2nd home up in the mountains so I've been spending most of my time there, ripping out old interior doors, trim, and molding, and replacing it with new hardwood stuff. The best part of the project (for me) is that the place came with a 20' x 20' shop area. That was a disaster when we took over the place but I've slowly been turning it into a useable woodworking area, little by little. I picked up a Rockwell model 10 contractor's saw on a mobile stand with a 52" Biesemeyer fence, all for $360. I was pretty stoked... smile.gif
Mfusick likes this.
post #388 of 390 Old 05-30-2014, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Great ... so now you've got two shops better than mine ! rolleyes.gif

Cheers,
Mfusick likes this.
post #389 of 390 Old 10-10-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I see you are enjoying New England...

-

post #390 of 390 Old 10-11-2014, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I see you are enjoying New England...
Yup, we certainly were! Up in Maine for the week, then got stranded in O'Hare on the way home, so we had a bonus day here in Chicagoland. Gorgeous day and a lot of fun!
Mfusick likes this.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - Ae4000u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page