My Mahogany / Invisible Speaker build - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 444 Old 12-24-2014, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Bryan - can you post a link or a final HT pict?

I want to show my brother in law over Christmas holiday when he visits.
Sorry for the slow response... We're on the road now and I'm not sure how to easily post links with this iPad... However, there are some pictures back on post #29 (first page) -- that's all I have for now.

Regardless.... Merry Christmas!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 444 Old 12-24-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 1740
Merry Christmas Bryan!
cowger likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #423 of 444 Old 02-01-2015, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quick (but minor) update... Now that I'm mostly brewing my own beers, I needed to figure out what to do for the tap faucet handles. For commercial beers, it's great: Virtually any tap handle you'd want is available for <$20 online. But what to do for homebrews?

I tried out the "chalkboard" handles that are available, but found that some people tend to grab the handle from the top and inadvertently smear the chalk, which is easy to do.

So, I purchased some hardware and grabbed a piece of the leftover Mahogany:

After ripping 4 pieces each 2" wide, I marked the center of both ends and started a hole with an awl (for the lathe centers):

I used a tapering jig on the saw to remove the bulk of the waste material:

And eased most of the edges with a 1/4" roundover bit:

Then over to the lathe, where I turned the bottom portion of each handle to get it close:

A drill bit in the lathe bored out the hole for the threaded bolt:

Then finally a bunch of sanding (mostly by hand), some Danish oil for a finish, and then some copper nameplates finished them off:

To get the copper, I took some scrap pieces of the red (thick wall) 1/2" copper pipe, cut them into 3" long sections, and used snips to cut them lengthwise from one end to the other. After flattening the sheet out with a hammer and anvil, I trimmed them to a very rough shape and then used some lettering punches to imprint the names:

My plan is to just make as many of the copper plates as I need, and making new ones (for new beers) is pretty cheap and easy. As is replacing them with something more refined if I get tired of the "hand beaten" look...

I hope everyone is in a great spot to enjoy the game, and for Mike's sake, let's all pretend we're rooting for his Pats!!!
Boomassiv likes this.
post #424 of 444 Old 02-01-2015, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
OK, now I feel bad....like nothing more than loosely bound DNA devoid of any talent or redeeming value.

Not only is the end result stunning, you were able to accomplish such perfection with WWII-era prototype equipment, just to show off!!!.

Extraordinarily impressive, my friend!
I think this is the only comment I'll ever be able to make in this thread!!

Since my Steelers are out, I'm rooting for the New England Seahawks!!
post #425 of 444 Old 04-28-2015, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I think this is the only comment I'll ever be able to make in this thread!!

Since my Steelers are out, I'm rooting for the New England Seahawks!!
So how did that turn out ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #426 of 444 Old 05-16-2015, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thought I'd post a quick update... We've been enjoying the theater and the bar, and in fact we generally head straight there when we entertain. The bar area seems to be a great spot for appetizers and just to hang out before dinner. It's working well and I now generally have 2-4 home brews on tap. My days of buying commercial kegged beer are now behind me...

One problem has been with my Onkyo TX-NR3008 amp: The networking connection (by which MainLobby controls the amp) had become flakey for the past few weeks, and then this week the audio out from the amp died. And by "died", I mean that no sound would come out of any channel from any input. Dead.

Happily, however, I found that this is a well-known, class-level issue and that Onkyo has stepped up and extended the warranty on all affected units until 2018! Not bad for a 3 year old receiver. For anyone affected (or possibly at risk), here's the link: https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/003_2012.php?country=USA

So, they are sending out a pre-paid return box. Kind of a pain to have to pull it out and be without the use of the theater for however long it'll take, but hey, I'm not complaining. At least all the banana plugs and labels will come in handy when it comes to reinstalling it:

Otherwise, I've been busy rebuilding the deck on our house near Lake Tahoe. A deck is generally not that complicated of a project, but this one is 25' up in the air at its highest point, and we've had to bring in 40T cranes for both the deconstruction of the old one and the reconstruction of the new one. Here's a video of one of the old beams being removed (this is a 6 x 16 beam):

A shot of some of the new footings, ready for concrete:

The new 8x8 posts and beams in place:

And the new joists, ready for Trex:

Should be done in another couple weeks here, with a bit of luck...
post #427 of 444 Old 05-17-2015, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

All I want to know is if you and your wife are considering adopting 43 year old dudes?
cowger likes this.
post #428 of 444 Old 05-17-2015, 03:23 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked: 511
You are a master craftsman congratulations you should be very proud!
cowger likes this.
post #429 of 444 Old 05-18-2015, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Bryan,

Looking awesome! I saw a pic on facebook you posted and realized why you've been away. You've been missed around here so thanks for the update. Make sure you post up some final pics too!

-

post #430 of 444 Old 05-18-2015, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowger View Post
Thought I'd post a quick update... We've been enjoying the theater and the bar, and in fact we generally head straight there when we entertain. The bar area seems to be a great spot for appetizers and just to hang out before dinner. It's working well and I now generally have 2-4 home brews on tap. My days of buying commercial kegged beer are now behind me...

One problem has been with my Onkyo TX-NR3008 amp: The networking connection (by which MainLobby controls the amp) had become flakey for the past few weeks, and then this week the audio out from the amp died. And by "died", I mean that no sound would come out of any channel from any input. Dead.

Happily, however, I found that this is a well-known, class-level issue and that Onkyo has stepped up and extended the warranty on all affected units until 2018! Not bad for a 3 year old receiver. For anyone affected (or possibly at risk), here's the link: https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/003_2012.php?country=USA

So, they are sending out a pre-paid return box. Kind of a pain to have to pull it out and be without the use of the theater for however long it'll take, but hey, I'm not complaining. At least all the banana plugs and labels will come in handy when it comes to reinstalling it:
I just went through this for the second time. First: with a lemon 807, that was replaced with an 818 refurb, that just went out. All tolled, it took less than 2 weeks from the time I reported it on their web form, to receiving the box, to being repaired. It shipped out on a Thursday, (Fedex home pickup-added a day, because none of my local Fedex would accept a package that large/heavy...) had it back by the following Friday. The actual repair took one day. You'll have it back in working order before you know it.

P.S. Here's the link for AVS'ers...Onkyo extended warranty
Mfusick likes this.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

Last edited by kevin g.; 05-18-2015 at 11:01 AM.
post #431 of 444 Old 05-18-2015, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 174
What a view you have!
Mfusick likes this.
post #432 of 444 Old 05-18-2015, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
The actual repair took one day. You'll have it back in working order before you know it.

P.S. Here's the link for AVS'ers...Onkyo extended warranty

That's great news, Kevin, thanks! I was wondering how long this would be...

Bryan
Mfusick likes this.
post #433 of 444 Old 05-18-2015, 03:18 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Bryan,

Trouble with the Onkyo?

Gaaahaaa!

I have been firmly in the "O" camp since we got that far with your Theater. To date....not a single blip or issue. Considering that amounts to over 20 units, I guess I must be the exception to the rule.

Perhaps heat has something to do with it, and since all my installs use dual Fan assemblies above the heat sinks (...guess why? ...) perhaps that might explain things.

Gosh...I remember the old Deck and the drop to the slope. Seeing the slope sans Pilings / Timber really sez it all.

Back in the day, all the rest of the basement was still a "dream" and I've watched it progress on your thread. When we discussed your future plans, although they sounded impressive, who'd a think they would have been so epic?

Well, I suppose you did, all along.

How's that old Girl of a PJ doin'? Still lightin' up that screen? I'd love to see some more shots of the Theater again, but I guess that's becoming old news for you by now. But just wait...if you ever get done and have a HT Meet at your place, I'm certain all that hard work and exquisite craftmanship will prompt a rush of admiration from everyone! (...and give that Beer Tap a real work out...)

There is of course the risk involved in prying everyone who comes out of the basement. It won't be easy.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #434 of 444 Old 05-19-2015, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Perhaps heat has something to do with it, and since all my installs use dual Fan assemblies above the heat sinks (...guess why? ...) perhaps that might explain things.

I do agree that heat has something to do with it. From what I've read, there are a couple of BGA chips on the HDMI board that can suffer from poor soldering and eventually lose contact with the board they are mounted on.

What fans do you install? Are these inside or outside of the receiver?

Thanks,
Bryan
post #435 of 444 Old 05-19-2015, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I read it was a bad HDMI board design that caused so many HDMI issues with the Onkyo's... I have one in my garage that I'm too lazy to ship back to get it fixed. It runs outdoors speakers now.

-

post #436 of 444 Old 05-19-2015, 10:22 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
I do agree that heat has something to do with it. From what I've read, there are a couple of BGA chips on the HDMI board that can suffer from poor soldering and eventually lose contact with the board they are mounted on.

What fans do you install? Are these inside or outside of the receiver?

Thanks,
Bryan
Outside...on top.

They can be Daisy Chained.

http://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-MU...+for+receivers

Once you go to the link you'll also find a plethora of choices.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #437 of 444 Old 05-19-2015, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 115
While I believe that heat may not have helped the issue...it was clearly a design/poor quality board, that was the final culprit. If heat were the main factor, there would be a wider range of failures. Most of the issues started at, or just out of warranty. (The two year Mark...)

Both my 807, (problem plagued from day one) and my current 818, have been in a temperature controlled basement theater since their introduction to my home. Cooler in the summer and winter, alike. Both had plenty of airflow, and never run at high levels for any extended time. The 807 by design, did run warm compared to the 818, but never "hot". The 807 actually lasted longer in my home, but the 818 is a far nicer unit.

My personal gut feeling is that they extended this special warranty to avoid any class-action lawsuits. And I said as much, and also took a lot of heat for it when this campaign was first announced. I was also pretty confident at the outset that the cause of these failures was not "heat".

Their sh!tty "customer service" is also pretty damnable...

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

Last edited by kevin g.; 05-19-2015 at 12:17 PM.
post #438 of 444 Old 05-19-2015, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Outside...on top.

They can be Daisy Chained.

http://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-MU...+for+receivers

Once you go to the link you'll also find a plethora of choices.

Thanks!! Whether or not heat is/was/will be the culprit, some extra airflow cannot hurt...
post #439 of 444 Old 05-19-2015, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
My personal gut feeling is that they extended this special warranty to avoid any class-action lawsuits. And I said as much, and also took a lot of heat for it when this campaign was first announced. I was also pretty confident at the outset that the cause of these failures was not "heat".

Could well be the case, Kevin. I know pretty-much nothing about this and just stumbled into their warranty program while trying to look for a DIY solution to this problem.

It must be pretty widespread for Onkyo to be doing this... I have to imagine that it's costing them a couple/few hundred dollars per unit by the time you ship all 70 lbs (or whatever it is) both ways... I'll just be happy to have a working theater again!
post #440 of 444 Old 05-19-2015, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks!! Whether or not heat is/was/will be the culprit, some extra airflow cannot hurt...
Forget the chincy generic fans and go with a professional solution like THIS and venting your cabinet with something like THIS based on your airflow needs. Most of this is thermostatically controlled which means that it won't load your equipment with dust at an accelerated rate which will cause its own set of heating issues.

You want only as much air as is necessary to do the job and nothing more. Without the proper thermostatic controller, those standard fans are bad news.
post #441 of 444 Old 05-20-2015, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Forget the chincy generic fans and go with a professional solution like THIS and venting your cabinet with something like THIS based on your airflow needs. Most of this is thermostatically controlled which means that it won't load your equipment with dust at an accelerated rate which will cause its own set of heating issues.

You want only as much air as is necessary to do the job and nothing more. Without the proper thermostatic controller, those standard fans are bad news.
Thanks, Tim, but I already have a Middle Atlantic quad fan, thermostatically-controlled ventilator at the top of my rack. I got the 2 chincy fans just to kick a bit more heat up out of the Onkyo and into the main flow from the larger fans, and I'll only turn on those chincy fans when the amp is on. If heat is truly the problem here, I'm hoping that the fix that Onkyo is putting in also includes some better heat sinking on the problematic parts (supposedly a couple of BGA (ball grid array) ASICs on the HDMI board.) Time will tell...
post #442 of 444 Old 05-20-2015, 09:55 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

I am so impressed you must be a serious woodworker or hobbyist!
post #443 of 444 Old 05-21-2015, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
I am so impressed you must be a serious woodworker or hobbyist!
Thanks! Your setup has some absolutely beautiful woodwork, so kudos to whomever crafted all that...
post #444 of 444 Old 05-21-2015, 07:33 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks! Your setup has some absolutely beautiful woodwork, so kudos to whomever crafted all that...
Not me my craftsman woodworker I just came up with the ideas and write the checks
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread