Okay, so after using my cart-of-drawers for 6 months as my brew station (and recall that it's also the right height to be an infeed table for my saw), I finally worked up the motivation this weekend to finish the drawer fronts.
Normally, I'd just build the drawer fronts out of 3/4" Birch plywood, but since I didn't have any extra, and didn't want to go buy and deal with a full-sized sheet, I found a piece of 1/4" Birch plywood and some scraps of 1/2" "sandply" plywood that I had lying around:
A little glue to sandwich them together:
And them some weight to squeeze them tight. (These happened to be boxes of hardwood flooring... very heavy... )
Next, a little challenge: The excess 1/4" plywood (face down in this pic) needed to be removed, but I needed to reference the edge of the smaller 1/2" piece of plywood (on top). A fence extension (that overhangs the 1/4" plywood) solved that problem:
Then it was easy to trim the opposite edge to the final width:
Cutting to length:
To cover the rough edges of the plywood, I ripped a bunch of Maple to 1/4" width and glued it to the ends and the sides:
With a stop set to match the outside of the saw blade, I trimmed off the excess length of the strips using a miter gauge:
For handles / pulls, I have used a ton of these carved maple pulls (from Rockler) throughout my shop, so I already had the jig needed to mortice them in:
A bit of glue and some creative clamping resulted in this:
Last step was to mount the drawer fronts. I ripped a spacer piece that rested on the drawer below and gave me the 0.1" spacing for the next drawer front, which I'd then temporarily clamp into place:
With that drawer removed, over to the bench to drill a starter hole:
Then enlarge and countersink the hole in the drawer box:
And... finally... done!!
I promise to only share future projects if they are to be completed in a reasonable amount of time...