My Mahogany / Invisible Speaker build - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #451 of 456 Old 03-17-2016, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowger View Post
It's amazing what is considered 'acceptable' workmanship nowadays. You are out at least one ten thousandth on that finger joint. HACK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 456 Old 03-17-2016, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
It's amazing what is considered 'acceptable' workmanship nowadays. You are out at least one ten thousandth on that finger joint. HACK!
I know, not my best work... (though I appreciate you're just having some fun with it!)

One of the limitations of the jig I used for this project is that while the slot you just cut fits over the key fairly well, it's not a perfect fit, and the error in spacing of the slots accumulates across the width of the joint. It's not a coincidence that the gap you see is at the top of the joint (the last slots cut since I started at the bottom of each piece.)

This became more significant on the taller drawers, to the point where I had to take care to gently bias the piece each time against one side of the key. Doing this consistently for both pieces yielded acceptable results, but it did take some practice...
post #453 of 456 Old 03-25-2016, 12:04 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Bryan,

Gosh and Golly, with all my latest systems having adopted Dolby Atmos 7.4,4 configurations, I wish I could have foreseen the Technology and pre-installed 4 Ceiling Transducers for you.

With the coming of Atmos, and the speaker positioning difficulties, dispersion requirements, cosmetics and expense that many must face have gone even further to justify the relevance of the Audio Transducers.\\Now if you ever decide to re-do the Drywall Ceiling in your Theater, or overlay it in Mahogany Paneling, you be sure to give me a heads up!

I'm itchin' to revisit that view off the rear deck!

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions
post #454 of 456 Old 03-25-2016, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
\Now if you ever decide to re-do the Drywall Ceiling in your Theater, or overlay it in Mahogany Paneling, you be sure to give me a heads up!
Thanks, Maurice, but the ceiling is a combination of fiber optic stars with a perimeter of mahogany. Such a retrofit would be quite destructive, so Atmos for me is going to have to wait for theater 2.0, i.e. likely never...
post #455 of 456 Old 03-25-2016, 08:26 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Oh...I realized all that....and I was only thinking about units around the perimeter area between the outside edges of Star Fields and and the Wall / Ceiling junctures where you do have Mahagony. Yeah, I was only lamenting / wishing........had I only known, but at the time of installation, who knew?

PS....when there is carpet above a room I often gain access to ceilings via that route, but I seem to remember a lot of wood flooring in your home's 1st floor so............

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions
post #456 of 456 Old 03-25-2016, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 2543
I just want to watch Bryan build stuff... doesn't really matter what. Theater or not...
Peter M and BllDo like this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread