My Mahogany / Invisible Speaker build - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #451 of 459 Old 03-17-2016, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowger View Post
It's amazing what is considered 'acceptable' workmanship nowadays. You are out at least one ten thousandth on that finger joint. HACK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 459 Old 03-17-2016, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
It's amazing what is considered 'acceptable' workmanship nowadays. You are out at least one ten thousandth on that finger joint. HACK!
I know, not my best work... (though I appreciate you're just having some fun with it!)

One of the limitations of the jig I used for this project is that while the slot you just cut fits over the key fairly well, it's not a perfect fit, and the error in spacing of the slots accumulates across the width of the joint. It's not a coincidence that the gap you see is at the top of the joint (the last slots cut since I started at the bottom of each piece.)

This became more significant on the taller drawers, to the point where I had to take care to gently bias the piece each time against one side of the key. Doing this consistently for both pieces yielded acceptable results, but it did take some practice...
post #453 of 459 Old 03-25-2016, 01:04 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Bryan,

Gosh and Golly, with all my latest systems having adopted Dolby Atmos 7.4,4 configurations, I wish I could have foreseen the Technology and pre-installed 4 Ceiling Transducers for you.

With the coming of Atmos, and the speaker positioning difficulties, dispersion requirements, cosmetics and expense that many must face have gone even further to justify the relevance of the Audio Transducers.\\Now if you ever decide to re-do the Drywall Ceiling in your Theater, or overlay it in Mahogany Paneling, you be sure to give me a heads up!

I'm itchin' to revisit that view off the rear deck!

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions
post #454 of 459 Old 03-25-2016, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
\Now if you ever decide to re-do the Drywall Ceiling in your Theater, or overlay it in Mahogany Paneling, you be sure to give me a heads up!
Thanks, Maurice, but the ceiling is a combination of fiber optic stars with a perimeter of mahogany. Such a retrofit would be quite destructive, so Atmos for me is going to have to wait for theater 2.0, i.e. likely never...
post #455 of 459 Old 03-25-2016, 09:26 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Oh...I realized all that....and I was only thinking about units around the perimeter area between the outside edges of Star Fields and and the Wall / Ceiling junctures where you do have Mahagony. Yeah, I was only lamenting / wishing........had I only known, but at the time of installation, who knew?

PS....when there is carpet above a room I often gain access to ceilings via that route, but I seem to remember a lot of wood flooring in your home's 1st floor so............

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions
post #456 of 459 Old 03-25-2016, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2665
I just want to watch Bryan build stuff... doesn't really matter what. Theater or not...
Peter M and BllDo like this.
post #457 of 459 Old 10-03-2016, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, has it really been 7 months since I did anything on this stupid little project? Pretty pathetic...

I apparently left off after having glued up the drawer boxes. The next step was to trim off excess material on the drawers and bring them to their final heights:

Then a quick chamfer of the top edge using a block plane:

To mount them into the cabinet, it was just a matter of attaching the sliders, one piece to the sides of the drawer boxes, and the main part of the slide to the inside of the cabinet:

To establish the mounting height, I used a bit of scrap plywood, mounting a slide at the correct height on either side and then trimming it as I worked my way down:

All the sliders in:

And the drawers installed:

And that's pretty-much where things stalled back in March. I found an interesting corollary to the "don't hang your projector too soon" rule, and that's the "don't fill the drawers and start using them as-is" rule. It breeds a severe case of procrastination.......

However, I'll post another update here shortly.
Mfusick likes this.
post #458 of 459 Old 10-03-2016, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, so after using my cart-of-drawers for 6 months as my brew station (and recall that it's also the right height to be an infeed table for my saw), I finally worked up the motivation this weekend to finish the drawer fronts.

Normally, I'd just build the drawer fronts out of 3/4" Birch plywood, but since I didn't have any extra, and didn't want to go buy and deal with a full-sized sheet, I found a piece of 1/4" Birch plywood and some scraps of 1/2" "sandply" plywood that I had lying around:

A little glue to sandwich them together:

And them some weight to squeeze them tight. (These happened to be boxes of hardwood flooring... very heavy... )

Next, a little challenge: The excess 1/4" plywood (face down in this pic) needed to be removed, but I needed to reference the edge of the smaller 1/2" piece of plywood (on top). A fence extension (that overhangs the 1/4" plywood) solved that problem:

Then it was easy to trim the opposite edge to the final width:

Cutting to length:

To cover the rough edges of the plywood, I ripped a bunch of Maple to 1/4" width and glued it to the ends and the sides:

With a stop set to match the outside of the saw blade, I trimmed off the excess length of the strips using a miter gauge:

For handles / pulls, I have used a ton of these carved maple pulls (from Rockler) throughout my shop, so I already had the jig needed to mortice them in:

A bit of glue and some creative clamping resulted in this:

Last step was to mount the drawer fronts. I ripped a spacer piece that rested on the drawer below and gave me the 0.1" spacing for the next drawer front, which I'd then temporarily clamp into place:

With that drawer removed, over to the bench to drill a starter hole:

Then enlarge and countersink the hole in the drawer box:

And... finally... done!!

I promise to only share future projects if they are to be completed in a reasonable amount of time...
Mfusick, Waterboy77 and TMcG like this.
post #459 of 459 Old 10-04-2016, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2665
I like the pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector