Next, some more deconstruction. But this wasn't just some drywall, this was part of the outside of the theater, built just a year or so ago. I only cried a little as I pulled the chair rail and base moldings off:
With that done, I could do a preliminary fit of the new cabinet into place:
I mostly needed to ensure that it fit correctly into that space, as this cabinet will determine where the bar surface extends out from the existing theater walls.
Before these new cabinets could be installed, it was time to call in a concrete driller to provide access for wiring and plumbing through the existing 8" thick stem wall:
Note that all possible images of concrete guy butt crack (worse even than plumber's crack!) have been carefully avoided for all our sakes!
I originally thought he'd be drilling in from the *back* side of that wall, but due to some technical difficulties, we decided to hit it from the finished side. Thankfully it didn't make nearly the mess that I thought it would...
Then onto more destruction of the existing HT. First was to tape up the area just next to the entrance that will hold the electronic movie poster:
Cutting into that wall was unnerving, but after measuring 5 times before cutting once, I finally went for it:
That opened things up and I just had one stud to cut out of the way.
To mount the display (which is just a 39" LCD TV hung vertically), I just installed a couple of what I think are called "French cleats" in the wall:
And a matching set on the back of the TV. Nothing fancy here:
And the display mounted into the opening:
Next I'll build a frame to hide the bezel of the display and the ugly opening into the wall..... stay tuned!