My "nothing fancy" basement theater build - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-11-2011, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I am about two-three weeks away from finishing my HT build and waiting for the projector to arrive I have some time starting this thread.
My project is an open basement space with an office corner, a small theater and space for the kids to play.
For the theater I will use a space of approximately 17' x 14' that is in the middle of the room. The screen wall is in that middle part that you can see in the first picture, on the right side.

I will continue updating the thread with my progress of the build later today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2011, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
If you're 2-3 weeks away, you're very behind on pictures!

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
Old 02-11-2011, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

If you're 2-3 weeks away, you're very behind on pictures!

I know, I know... pics are coming.
Looking at the future screen wall, one thing that bothered me is the position of the electrical panel, but I decided to just put the screen in front of it and I will mount it in a way that I can easily slip my hand behind it to access the panel:

Looking at the back of the theater where I will put up a wall to hide my equipment (sorry for the crappy cellphone pics...):

At the far end where the window is will be a small office corner, theater in the middle to the left, and the picture is taken from where I will but a small bathroom / laundry room:

I had somebody do the first bulkhead hiding the HVAC for me, he was supposed to do the whole job but broke his ankle after finishing this, so I was on my own and continued without any experience in drywalling:

Everything is done quite simply, no double green glue drywall or anything of the sort, just basic isolation and resilient channels for the ceiling. Here I advanced quite a bit with putting up drywall:

Now it's starting to look like something... Mudding is the only thing I didn't do by myself, tried for a bit but really wasn't motivated to get through that mess! I had planned to just put the screen on the wall and that's it. But after some consideration (my one and two year old will play down there a lot) I decided to put in a wall in the front so the screen is recessed a bit and the kids can't touch it that easily. The two holes in the drywall are for in-wall front presence speakers:

Ceiling height is about 7 1/2 feet so my center speaker will be quite low... wanted to go AT screen first but the ones I liked were out of my budget. The cutouts on the sides and bottom are where the speakers will be situated, they will be covered with frames with speaker cloth:

Started priming and painting. The screen wall and ceiling above the theater area will be black, the side walls of the theater a dark brown and the rest of the basement will have a white ceiling and beige and dark orange walls, sounds maybe weird but they are all colors that I had left over, you will see pics with the paint later. Here the back wall of the theater where there will be a door to the equipment and you can see the in-wall rear surrounds. To the right is the office corner and I have to fit that treadmill somewhere:

I will have to project underneath that bulkhead for part of the image, so I was quite limited in positioning the screen. The top of the screen will be approximately 12" from the ceiling:
Old 02-11-2011, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Just some background on me, where I come from and what brought me to start this project.
I always loved music and when I was maybe around 15 years old I bought my first good audio system. Separate components from Kenwood and a pair of Onkyo tower speakers, don't remember the models. That was back when I was living in Germany, where I was born. Later my family moved to France, and while in university I became a movie freak, going to the theater at least once or twice a week for about two years. After I got married I moved to Barcelona, Spain in 2002 and for our small apartment we bought a Sony HTIB and an Infocus X1 projector projecting on a bare white wall - good enough for us at the time. We enjoyed the X1 for 3-4 years and when we decided to immigrate to Canada I gave it to my brother (the first lamp just died a couple months ago, so all in all the X1 had been in use for about 8 years!).
After one year in a small apartment in Montreal we bought a 2 bedroom condo, so not really enough space for the nice theater that I always wanted.
However I bought a nice receiver at the time, Yamaha RX-V1600 along with 5.1 speakers, RS-1 system from Reel Acoustics. We had this installed in our living room along with a small crappy Samsung 26" TV... the sound was really good, but you see that image-wise it's not hard to improve upon from where I come from.
Late 2009 we bought a very nice townhouse in a new development in Gatineau (Ottawa) and with a nice blank space in the basement plans were made to start a nice place to watch movies for the family.
After moving in it took a while to get the project really started but now I am close to finishing it.
My equipment will be a JVC RS40 projector (hello AVS... still waiting for that one!), receiver is a Yamaha RX-A2000 and the speakers are still the same Reel Acoustics 5.1 that I complemented with some Monoprice in-walls to a 9.2 system. For now my budget doesn't allow for it but someday I will upgrade the speakers even though they sound surprisingly good. Oh, and I have an Oppo BDP-93 as well. More on the rest of the system after a few more pictures later.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Last Friday the carpet was put in and I immediately hurt my back carrying the three pieces of Berkline 45090 seating.
The back wall is still missing the doors to equipment and HVAC and you can see the cutouts for the in-wall rear surrounds. Drywall on the back wall is doubled to reduce vibrations, this is by no means a perfect home theater with acoustical treatments etc, when the heating goes on I will be able to hear it etc... but I am sure we'll have a lot of fun watching movies anyway, I just did what my budget would allow me.

And the screen is up as well. 120" 1.1 Gain Elunevision Cinema Grey:
Old 02-11-2011, 08:25 AM

Liked: 153
Nice setup so far. Question, though. How will you gain access to the breaker panel? It looks like it will be behind your screen. If one pops, you will need access to reset it. Need access to work on any electrical wiring, etc.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Nice setup so far. Question, though. How will you gain access to the breaker panel? It looks like it will be behind your screen. If one pops, you will need access to reset it. Need access to work on any electrical wiring, etc.

I can unhook the top right corner from the screen and also slide the screen about 1-2' to the left. For occasional access it's not a problem, when I have some time I will take a picture of how the screen is mounted.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Your "nothing fancy" HT looks great. Is the side open to another room?
Old 02-12-2011, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erandmckay View Post

Your "nothing fancy" HT looks great. Is the side open to another room?

Thanks. It's an open basement, on the sides there's a small office corner and a small hallway leading to the stairs and a bathroom. I will put up some more pictures where you can see it all soon.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
I liked your story of how you've gone from HTIB to now. Did you use flat black on your walls/ceiling? I have the same problem I'm looking into before I begin painting - the flat black I used still has some sheen to it (even though Behr flat isn't supposed to), enough that it bothers me a little during movies.

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
Old 02-13-2011, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

I liked your story of how you've gone from HTIB to now. Did you use flat black on your walls/ceiling? I have the same problem I'm looking into before I begin painting - the flat black I used still has some sheen to it (even though Behr flat isn't supposed to), enough that it bothers me a little during movies.

Yes, ceiling and screen wall are flat black and side walls are a very dark brown. From where I sit it looks pitch black with the lights out, but unfortunately I couldn't try with a projector yet.. hope to get my JVC RS40 in about two weeks.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

My newest addition:

A few more things to do before everything is finished:
- install speaker covers
- find, buy & install curtain in front of screen (my little kids love to throw matchbox cars)
- trim down bi-fold doors to equipment cabinet
- install baseboards
- buy & install wall-sconces
- wait patiently for my projector to arrive

And some pics of how it looks like so far:

Old 02-22-2011, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Installing some media storage for my CDs in the office corner:

Old 02-22-2011, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Like the cd holders but I'm going bug eyed trying to count the capacity of one.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

Like the cd holders but I'm going bug eyed trying to count the capacity of one.

They are from Ikea $7.99 each and hold 68 CDs.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:43 PM

Liked: 11
Looking good!

Your ahead of me in your theater since you already got a popcorn machine and Berkline couch. Where did you get them? Do we actually have descent price in our neighborhood for these?
Old 03-02-2011, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatboyC View Post

Looking good!

Your ahead of me in your theater since you already got a popcorn machine and Berkline couch. Where did you get them? Do we actually have descent price in our neighborhood for these?

Thanks. Got my Berklines from the US at a pretty good price but I saw AVS has them in their store now they have probably good pricing but not sure if they ship them to Canada. Got the popcorn machine at Bed, Bath & Beyond in Ottawa as a gift for my wife, she wanted one, I would have been ok with microwaved popcorn :-)
I'll PM you the store where I got the Berklines later, don't remember the name will have to look it up.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

After a very very long wait my RS40 finally arrived. Thanks AVS!
I couldn't believe how huge that thing is.

Sorry for the blurry pics, probably was shaking from excitement!
Old 03-20-2011, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Hmmm. You have had your projector for 4 days and no comments? Problems or just too busy watching to share? How is the image on your grey screen? Given that the JVC has amazing blacks to begin with I imagine that the dark end of the spectrum is fabulous. Still plenty of pop on the bright scenes? Thanks for posting progress thus far. When your screen wall is complete would be nice to have some higher resolution pics.

Exactly, too busy watching. Picture is amazing in 2D and 3D, grey screen is no problem but the picture really is best when there's no ambient light at all. I got the grey screen because I thought it would be a bit better for gaming with some ambient light but seeing that I don't play that much I think I should have gotten a white screen. But I don't really care, picture is bright enough, plenty of pop. And yeah I have to find some time now between watching movies to fix all the small things that are not done yet.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
What 3D movies have you watched? What bluray player do you use?
Old 03-21-2011, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener View Post

What 3D movies have you watched? What bluray player do you use?

So far I have watched IMAX Ultimate Wave Tahiti 3D, Step Up 3D, Gulliver's Travels 3D and a bit of Avatar 3D. While the story of Step Up is boring there are some nice 3D effects, especially the dance battle scenes. Really liked Ultimate Wave, some of the nicest scenes were underwater scenes. Gulliver's Travels Wasn't natively filmed in 3D I think and the movie sucked, 3D didn't bring anything to it. The bit I saw of Avatar was just amazing.
Using Oppo BDP-93.