Desert Sunset Theater Build - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1093 Old 01-01-2012, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Here are some shots of the soffit woodwork with a coat of primer. Hope to get these sanded and get a coat of paint on them tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1093 Old 01-01-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
YEAH! Those look great!

post #453 of 1093 Old 01-02-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

Here are some shots of the soffit woodwork with a coat of primer. Hope to get these sanded and get a coat of paint on them tomorrow.

Looking great. I really really like ur soffit design!
post #454 of 1093 Old 01-03-2012, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My wife is a much better painter than I am so I talked her into painting the woodwork yesterday. I'm fine with a roller but she is much better at cutting in with the brush. Not that it matters now that I already got some primer on the wall. She managed to get most of the first coat done but there is still a bit left. Once the woodwork is done, I 'll put a 3rd coat on the wall to finish up.

I also ordered a bunch of different Guilford of Maine fabric samples from Fabricmate. Not sure if I will use the fabric I showed earlier, I think it might be too busy to have that much fabric with a pattern. I did use the colors on the fabric as my color scheme though.

post #455 of 1093 Old 01-03-2012, 09:49 PM

Liked: 10
Awesome pictures. That's exactly what I needed to see. I was thinking of doing it the same way for my light tray but wasn't quite sure how it would work. Thanks Stockmonkey.

-Speakers done and positioned. 7/2 THTLP done. Fabric Frames going on now.

post #456 of 1093 Old 01-07-2012, 04:25 AM

Your HT is coming along great Stockmonkey! I really like the star ceiling and would love to do one myself one day. Looking forward to seeing the end result (subscribed)!

Have you decided on a projector yet? Some time ago you talked about JVC and Panasonic. I assume that was in order to get the lens-memory features or are you considering using an A-lens for scope?

Dare I ask when you expect to be finished with the build?

Keep up the good work and be sure to feed us with a lot of pictures
post #457 of 1093 Old 01-07-2012, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Blue rope light has been installed. It was very uneven when I first put it up but I faced all the LED's pointing down and it looks much more uniform.

This is what it looked like without the LED's all pointed the same way.

post #458 of 1093 Old 01-07-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Chris View Post

Your HT is coming along great Stockmonkey! I really like the star ceiling and would love to do one myself one day. Looking forward to seeing the end result (subscribed)!

Have you decided on a projector yet? Some time ago you talked about JVC and Panasonic. I assume that was in order to get the lens-memory features or are you considering using an A-lens for scope?

Dare I ask when you expect to be finished with the build?

Keep up the good work and be sure to feed us with a lot of pictures

I just talked to AVS yesterday about the JVC RS-45. I thought about ordering it now but thought I would wait until I'm a bit closer. No sense in having it sit in the box with the warranty ticking away. I'm just going to use the zoom feature for now. I'll probably order the screen early next week. I'm going to be using the Seymour Centerstage XD screen.

As far as a completion date I'm not really sure. If I stay motivated I could be done with the theater itself in 2-3 months. Its really starting to take shape but there are still quite a few things to do. I will also have to do some work on the equipment room and still have more to deal with in the basement. To get the entire basement done I would expect that to take several months. When the theater is functional I think the work on the rest of the basement will be much slower. Fortunately the remaining unfinished part is fairly small.

post #459 of 1093 Old 01-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I just talked to AVS yesterday about the JVC RS-45. I thought about ordering it now but thought I would wait until I'm a bit closer. No sense in having it sit in the box with the warranty ticking away. I'm just going to use the zoom feature for now. I'll probably order the screen early next week. I'm going to be using the Seymour Centerstage XD screen.

As far as a completion date I'm not really sure. If I stay motivated I could be done with the theater itself in 2-3 months. Its really starting to take shape but there are still quite a few things to do. I will also have to do some work on the equipment room and still have more to deal with in the basement. To get the entire basement done I would expect that to take several months. When the theater is functional I think the work on the rest of the basement will be much slower. Fortunately the remaining unfinished part is fairly small.

Reasoning for going with Seymour over SMX or other brands?

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

post #460 of 1093 Old 01-07-2012, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

Reasoning for going with Seymour over SMX or other brands?

I'm using the Centerstage material and will build my screen. So mainly price and availability of the DIY Fabric.

post #461 of 1093 Old 01-07-2012, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Wow, this looks so good! You've done a great job. Have you decided on carpet?

post #462 of 1093 Old 01-07-2012, 09:32 PM

Excellent tip about the LED rope lights. That's the same color as I'll use, so that makes me even more excited to her mine done.

post #463 of 1093 Old 01-08-2012, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Blue rope light has been installed. It was very uneven when I first put it up but I faced all the LED's pointing down and it looks much more uniform.

This is what it looked like without the LED's all pointed the same way.

That second pic is how rope like usually looks in my experience which is the reason why I have always hated rope light. You, you talented devil, have managed to install the first rope light that looks good to me! VERY well done, friend!

post #464 of 1093 Old 01-08-2012, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Wow, this looks so good! You've done a great job. Have you decided on carpet?

I have not decided on carpet yet, but Ive chosen paint colors and fabric already. I hope that does not limit my options too much. I really like the carpet Brad Horskotte used in his theater. Not sure if that will work with my colors though.

I'm going to try and look at some carpet this week.

post #465 of 1093 Old 01-08-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

That second pic is how rope like usually looks in my experience which is the reason why I have always hated rope light. You, you talented devil, have managed to install the first rope light that looks good to me! VERY well done, friend!

Thanks for the comments. I'm pretty happy with my blue rope, but not as happy with the white. I'm thinking of trying an LED rope with the white. the white looks more washed out against the black fabric and the black part of the soffit. I may change the front of the soffit to another color to reflect the white better, but when the rope is off I think the black is best for the star ceiling.

There are a couple things I wish I would have done differently. I wish I would not have put the inserts that hold the rope light in permanently. I wish I had a way to adjust the height within the channel, then you could control the light spill better. I also wish I had used the plastic channels instead of the clips i used, I think the channels would give you more control over the position of the rope. My rope is held by clips every two feet.

I experimented in building a light diffusor in the soffit. I took a lexan plastic tube that is used to hold flourescent light bulbs and sanded it rough then cut it in half and put it over the rope light. It did not work so I worked with the positioning of the LED's and got much better results.

post #466 of 1093 Old 01-08-2012, 09:53 AM

Stk2k - great progress and the soffit lights look really cool. Your "I wish I did this..." comments; I think we all have a full list of those

Mike
Started the build...
post #467 of 1093 Old 01-09-2012, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are some shots of the soffit woodwork with the first coat of paint. Some of my pics are a bit blurry.

post #468 of 1093 Old 01-09-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #469 of 1093 Old 01-09-2012, 07:49 AM

Looking pretty sweet. Thanks for the pics.

post #470 of 1093 Old 01-09-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Looking fantastic. You're moving right along!

Mario

post #471 of 1093 Old 01-10-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I went through a bunch of Guilford of Maine fabrics to decide on panel fabric. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with Mink from the 'Broadcast' line of fabrics

Here's a shot of the mink fabric against the wall and column. In most of my pictures the wall and column look almost the same color but the wall color is much darker. I have no photo skills and just use a point and shoot camera.

post #472 of 1093 Old 01-10-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
They look like they'll blend nicely. I like the color combo.

Mario

post #473 of 1093 Old 01-10-2012, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It looks much better in person. The mink is not as solid of a color as it looks in the pictures and has some small flecks in it that seem to match the woodwork color perfectly.

post #474 of 1093 Old 01-10-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Did you order all those samples or are you at a local fabric store?

post #475 of 1093 Old 01-10-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I ordered the samples from Fabricmate. This does not include the samples for the FR701 fabric that I already had. The fabric sample I posted earlier in the thread was from a book of samples from a designer. I decided not to go with that fabric because I thought it might be too busy in the room and was not sure acoustically how it would perform. It also cost $40/yard which also helped in making the decision. I used to think the GOM fabric was expensive but it seems very reasonable after looking at some of the designer fabrics. There are some fabrics that are over $1000 a yard.

The broadcast and anchorage lines of fabric are not as transparent as the FR701, but they are still better than most fabrics. There are lots of interesting options in the other lines.

post #476 of 1093 Old 01-10-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
That star ceiling with the blue lights really looks great. I have been steering away from doing a star ceiling in my theater, but seeing those pictures have me reconsidering doing one like yours.
post #477 of 1093 Old 01-10-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm really glad I put in the star ceiling. It definitely gives the room a bit of wow factor. My work on the theater has slowed down since it went in because I find myself staring at the ceiling all the time . Everybody that has seen it in person seems to really like it.

There is so much time and effort that goes into all the things that you cant see, I think it makes some sense to put some effort in on a few things that you can see.

post #478 of 1093 Old 01-11-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a better shot of the fabric.

srenjith likes this.

post #479 of 1093 Old 01-11-2012, 10:21 AM

Liked: 15
Your room is looking fantastic. I love the star ceiling with the blue rope light. I was originally going to with a white light but seeing yours has made me second guess that decision. Good choice of fabric as well.

- Under Construction

post #480 of 1093 Old 01-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Like your blue LED rope light, where did you get them and how many did you double run it?

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Behringer Europower Ep4000 Professional Amplifier , Integra , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page