Desert Sunset Theater Build - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1093 Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Looks great stock! Big step towards completion...well done!

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1093 Old 04-18-2012, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great accomplishment SM2K! Looks really nice and I hope to be at that stage soon myself!
post #813 of 1093 Old 04-18-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Carpet? Did not even notice, I keep looking at your star ceiling?

JK, looks great and what a nice feeling to walk in without shoes and feel the comfy goodness of CARPET.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #814 of 1093 Old 04-18-2012, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Fantastic build!! I hadn't seen this until today, it took a while to read through the whole thread.. I ended up skimming the last 2 pages to catch the pictures.

subscribed to see you finish this out.

Todd
post #815 of 1093 Old 04-18-2012, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Now that the carpet is installed, I am having a hard time opening and closing the door. I'm going to have to remove the door and cut it down a bit. I thought I would have plenty of clearance but it is still too tight. Not really looking forward to removing the door. It will be a bit of a pain to deal with because of the automatic door bottom.

I also got all the seats installed tonight. I'll take some pictures and post tomorrow.
post #816 of 1093 Old 04-19-2012, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are some shots of the room with the seating installed.

Took a few shots with longer shutter for better detail. The color of the walls is much brighter than in person. Not sure why the pictures show that purple tint in the soffit - it does not look like that in person.

post #817 of 1093 Old 04-19-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Looks awesome!

Sucks about the door. How much tolerance did u leave that it's still too tight? I know regular house doors r usually 3/4 inch gap/up from the bottom of the jam. Did u sit the jam right on the floor cause of the weight of the door instead of floating the jam up like 5/8"?
post #818 of 1093 Old 04-19-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was worried about the pattern on the carpet matching up with the uprights on the stage since you would be looking straight at them. As you can see, you cant really see the pattern under the shadow of the lip. Even in the photos above with a longer open shutter which is much brighter than the normal lighting in the room you cannot see the pattern.

post #819 of 1093 Old 04-19-2012, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

Looks awesome!

Sucks about the door. How much tolerance did u leave that it's still too tight? I know regular house doors r usually 3/4 inch gap/up from the bottom of the jam. Did u sit the jam right on the floor cause of the weight of the door instead of floating the jam up like 5/8"?

The door is about 1/2 inch up from the bottom of the jamb but the jamb was 1" thick so I had about an inch of clearance before the carpet was in. I expected the jamb to sit higher than the carpet by 1/4 - 1/2" or so but the carpet is actually flush with the jamb. Its a low pile carpet but is actually pretty thick. It is actually the hardest to close the last few inches before the jamb because the auto door seal starts coming down at that point. I can probably solve that a bit by adjusting the seal, but it is still pressing on the carpet quite a bit.
post #820 of 1093 Old 04-19-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

The door is about 1/2 inch up from the bottom of the jamb but the jamb was 1" thick so I had about an inch of clearance before the carpet was in. I expected the jamb to sit higher than the carpet by 1/4 - 1/2" or so but the carpet is actually flush with the jamb. Its a low pile carpet but is actually pretty thick. It is actually the hardest to close the last few inches before the jamb because the auto door seal starts coming down at that point. I can probably solve that a bit by adjusting the seal, but it is still pressing on the carpet quite a bit.

I had the same problem. BIG & I had the door completed with the jamb/seal before the carpet came, estimating the thickness of the carpet and padding. Needless to say, we had to trim the door so that the seal cleared the carpet without friction (and there was quite a bit of friction), but after trimming the door there is like 1/4" gap between the seal and the jamb now. Not that it leaks a lot of noise. I've been hard pressed to still hear anything through it, but sooner or later I'll raise the jamb up to meet the door because I know there is a gap there.
post #821 of 1093 Old 04-19-2012, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Awesome theater StockMonkey!

I'm truly envious. I have much lower expectations for my own theater, but it's inspirational to see someone do it right.

Will

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

post #822 of 1093 Old 04-19-2012, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
StockMonkey, everything looks great! No doubt that screen can't come soon enough! I really like how you handled the rear entrance with your riser and chair alignment.

Dale
post #823 of 1093 Old 04-19-2012, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmiller View Post

StockMonkey, everything looks great! No doubt that screen can't come soon enough! I really like how you handled the rear entrance with your riser and chair alignment.

Dale

The rear row will actually be moved over toward the door a bit. One of the outlet's I installed for the motorized seats ended up right under the arm so I had to move the row over a bit to be able to plug in the seats. I'll get a flat extension plug that will allow me to move the arm over the outlet. When I move the row back over the seat closest to the wall will have a bit more space to the side of the wall and there will also be one seat on the rear row centered with the screen.
post #824 of 1093 Old 04-19-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Carpet looks great! It really transforms the room. Good choice.

Keep up the good work!

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #825 of 1093 Old 04-19-2012, 02:26 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Many comments,.. however, right now suffice it to say it's really looking good.

Thanks for sharing

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #826 of 1093 Old 04-19-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Question. You are going for the "Goal Post" screen wall. I am planning on the same, but how are you attaching the panels around the screen area? I see hot they could attach to the "goal posts", but how will they attach to the side walls, or are you just going to put up some furring strips or something later? Just wondering.
post #827 of 1093 Old 04-19-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

Question. You are going for the "Goal Post" screen wall. I am planning on the same, but how are you attaching the panels around the screen area? I see hot they could attach to the "goal posts", but how will they attach to the side walls, or are you just going to put up some furring strips or something later? Just wondering.

I'll have to put up some strips on the walls - I am planning on angling the sides a bit but really need the screen in place to determine where the panels will go. I also plan to do an automated masking system at some point in the future so I have to figure out how the sides are going to be mounted so I can still allow for the masks.
post #828 of 1093 Old 04-19-2012, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, one more question about your false wall, what material did you build the "goal posts" out of? Primed FJ Pine? I was going to use that for my screen frame itself and was wondering if it would be good enough for the goal posts or what you used.

Thanks!
post #829 of 1093 Old 04-19-2012, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, one more question about your false wall, what material did you build the "goal posts" out of? Primed FJ Pine? I was going to use that for my screen frame itself and was wondering if it would be good enough for the goal posts or what you used.

Thanks!

Yes I used Primed finger jointed pine. I think it would be fine to build the screen out of but you would have to reinforce it with something. It would be too flexible without something supporting it. I built the "goal posts" in an L shape which gives it the extra strength. You would have to do something similar for a screen frame.
post #830 of 1093 Old 04-19-2012, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've been looking forward to hooking up my speakers more than actually getting the projector installed. Finally was able to get the PBN's out of the crates and hook them up. The center is still not installed but I listened to music for a while. The room is a peaceful quiet place to listen to music. It is great to hear them again - they makes the Tyler speakers in the background sound like toys.

I also lowered the crossover on the IB sub and mains down to 40hz. The crossover was at 80hz on the tylers because I was pushing them to their limits. With the sub crossed at 40 it sounds much better The PBN's have good response down to 25hz so 40hz seems reasonable. I still have lots of tweaking to do but the sound quality of the room went up dramatically today.

post #831 of 1093 Old 04-20-2012, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 166
SM your theater looks awesome, totally jealous!
post #832 of 1093 Old 04-20-2012, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Stock,
Are those PBN's going to fit behind your screen? Those things look massive.
post #833 of 1093 Old 04-20-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I have size envy of that center channel.
post #834 of 1093 Old 04-20-2012, 09:10 AM

JVoth - I don't think they are going behind the screen.
post #835 of 1093 Old 04-20-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Lee View Post

JVoth - I don't think they are going behind the screen.

My plan is to try the speakers in both places. The center will be behind the screen of course, but I think they will sound better for stereo listening (which I do a lot of) out in front of the screen and away from the walls. If I place the speakers for good stereo listening they will block the screen from two seating positions on the back wall. These seats will probably go unused 95% of the time so I could push them toward the walls on the rare occasions they are used. I'll do some serious listening with them behind the screen though to see if it is acceptable. Its almost a shame though to tuck them behind the screen.

Speaking of screens, my screen arrived yesterday and I started assembling the screen and realized it was too small. I specified a 120" wide 2:35 screen but when it came it was 120" diag. (110 inch wide) It will not fit on my supports at that width and I'm not sure the 16:9 image can be made that small with my projector. They are working on a 120" wide screen right away but not sure how long it is going to be to get the replacement.
post #836 of 1093 Old 04-20-2012, 04:09 PM

Bummer about the screen setback. It'll certainly be worth the wait to get it right, but that doesn't make the delay any more enjoyable.
post #837 of 1093 Old 04-20-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey at least you got your Seymour screen. I was told that my screen material was going to ship this past Monday. Here it is Friday night and it still hasn't shipped. There were some "production delays" with some flawed material is what I was told.

Actually, your situation IS worse, because you had the big build up of it getting there, and then the let down, and then the customer support issues of getting it sent back and getting a replacement.

I guess it stinks all around.
post #838 of 1093 Old 04-20-2012, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey at least you got your Seymour screen. I was told that my screen material was going to ship this past Monday. Here it is Friday night and it still hasn't shipped. There were some "production delays" with some flawed material is what I was told.

Actually, your situation IS worse, because you had the big build up of it getting there, and then the let down, and then the customer support issues of getting it sent back and getting a replacement.

I guess it stinks all around.

I don't want to hear that - The whole reason I had to wait for the first screen for so long is because I was waiting on the material from Seymour. My screen is Seymour enterstage material but it is not a Seymour screen. They are going to have to order new material from Seymour for the new screen. I am hoping that there are not availability issues still with the Seymour material.
post #839 of 1093 Old 04-22-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Where did you order your screen from?
post #840 of 1093 Old 04-22-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

They are going to have to order new material from Seymour for the new screen. I am hoping that there are not availability issues still with the Seymour material.

My custom-cut XD material shipped from Seymour about two days after I ordered it. I hope you don't have production delays but hopefully my experience last month is indicative of Seymour's standard service.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Behringer Europower Ep4000 Professional Amplifier , Integra , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page